Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cimber posted:

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1732908864931057853

So former Speaker McCarthy said Democrats look like America, Republicans look like a restrictive country club. Funny he's free to say that now that he's announced his quitting.

Sounds like he's angling for a pundit gig on CNN/MSNBC, or trying to keep the door open for the possibility at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

the_steve posted:

Sounds like he's angling for a pundit gig on CNN/MSNBC, or trying to keep the door open for the possibility at least.
That's pretty likely. Former Republican politicians love to gravitate to those two.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
e: Wrong button.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Looks like the GAO has [once again] found that money for crop insurance is being wasted: https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/us-crop-insurance-provides-billions-profit-insurers-govt-agency-2023-12-04/

quote:

The USDA worked with 13 privately held insurance companies to provide 1.2 million crop insurance policies at a cost of $17.3 billion in 2022, said the report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO).

From 2011 through 2022, the federal government paid about $36.6 billion to the insurance companies, about a third of the program's total cost of $107.7 billion, the GAO said.

During that time, the companies' underwriting gains, or profits, averaged $1.4 billion annually and their rate of return was nearly 17%, compared with a market rate of around 10%. USDA's target rate of return negotiated with insurers is 14.5%.

I doubt this will affect the next farm bill, but here’s to hoping GAO keep coming out with these damning reports and more people start paying attention.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Part of the problem is that both things are happening. Sticker prices are way way up. But sale price isn’t necessarily. Here’s an example.

A cider six pack was 8.99 or 9.99 regularly before the pandemic but was marked 11.99 or 12.99. Now it’s 11.99 to 12.99 regularly but marked 18.99.

Or name brand soda. Before the pandemic list price 5-6 bucks sale 3.50 to 4.50. Now list prices are 10-12 and sales are weird buy two get two or get three free intermittent sales putting sales prices at 4-6 dollars.

This I think is part of what I’d going on with inflation. There is a growing gap between list /day to day shelf prices and the actual normal people sale prices. They are targeting two markets, one price insensitive (regular price) and one price sensitive (sales price).

This always used to happen but it’s exaggerated now. I think because it’s maximized by algorithms. Before it was a general pricing strategy now it’s the done at the optimum maximized revenue point for each store.

That feels insanely lovely to encounter as a shopper.

Even gas prices are wildly out of whack where I live, I can go a few miles north and it's sub-$2.99 at the moment, but a few miles south it's like $3.49 and even $3.69 in spots

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kalit posted:

Looks like the GAO has [once again] found that money for crop insurance is being wasted: https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/us-crop-insurance-provides-billions-profit-insurers-govt-agency-2023-12-04/

I doubt this will affect the next farm bill, but here’s to hoping GAO keep coming out with these damning reports and more people start paying attention.

This is an issue worsened by the deliberate destruction of USDA ERS and several related entities under Trump.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

More consequences for women due to the Trump presidency

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1732922619261776225

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trump’s vow to only be a dictator on ‘day one’ follows growing worry over his authoritarian rhetoric

lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Semi-related, but here is another poll from the Financial Times about specific economic conditions that shows some crazy results.

Most Americans think the unemployment rate (3.9%) is significantly higher than the unemployment rate 30 years ago (7.4%).

They also think essentially every metric of economic progress was better 30 years ago and a ~2/3 majority of Americans answered every single economic fact question incorrectly.

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1732476001144225881

I know everyone has had it out a million times already, and admittedly I haven't been back in the US in months so maybe it wildly changed since but like drat that first question annoys me. I know the factual correct answer is wages rose faster. The devil Joe Biden is not turning up the food cost dial while spinning down the wages dial. But like, my personal, and clearly many if not most americans', wage rose by no dollars in 2023 while the cost of basic staples like eggs and bread and gas and diapers doubled.

People can publish bazinga facts and logic articles for years and it's not going to convince anybody who, with no change in income or employment, went from feeding their family to not. It sucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Latest jobs report came in unexpectedly hot.

Unemployment down to 3.7% and labor force participation rate is now tied for highest ever post-pandemic. Wages also grew unexpectedly fast, which is prompting some concerns that the next inflation report might show inflation falling slower.

Treasury yields are up, but the stock market is falling due to fears that this will probably cause the Fed to delay interest rate cuts - with some economists believing there is now a small chance that the Fed may increase rates one more time in 2024 if inflation falls slower than expected following this news.

The next inflation report is going to be very important to determining what the economy and Fed policy of 2024 looks like - both of which will surely have major impacts on the 2024 election.

quote:

The higher-than-expected hourly earnings, flagged by Cameron below, set up an interesting backdrop into next week’s CPI, which may see markets extend today’s moves.

Average hourly earnings picked up to 0.4% in November. This reinforces the Fed’s cautious stance when it comes to inflation. Just when it looked like the economy was finally slowing in the final months of the year, the all-around strong job numbers suggest the economy is still resilient and the inflation risk isn’t gone.

quote:

Bloomberg Analyst Cameron Crise: Well, the major feature of relevance in today’s employment report was the unemployment rate, which came in below every economist estimate at 3.7%. That it came in the context of higher-than-expected participation (62.8%) makes it look extra-strong. That wage growth exceeded expectations at 0.4% on the month makes sense as well.

While there wasn’t much of note in the headline figure, that unemployment number represents a pretty low base for the Fed to render its forecasts upon next week, and reduces the chances of a significant upgrade to 2024 and 2025 unemployment forecasts. Barring a downshift in the inflation forecast or a significant change in the FOMC reaction function, that in turn makes a dot-plot shift validating recent market pricing less likely.

The only caveat is that it was a surge of 747,000 in household employment that drove the fall in the U-rate, and perhaps the FOMC might not find that development either credible or durable. Still, the obvious conclusion is that aggressive rate-cut pricing for next year looks vulnerable.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1733116998391857580

quote:

Neil Dutta of Renaissance Macro Research says:

“The US labor markets are fine. November’s employment figures were firmer than expected and as a result, bond yields are rising. (People saying recession need to have their heads examined).

“However, in our view, the labor market is not the primary driver for monetary policy right now. Indeed, there is an asymmetry in the Fed’s policy reaction function: stronger employment will not push them away from a cut as much as weaker inflation will push them towards one. The solid economy puts a ceiling on how many cuts we’ll get, but it will not stop cuts altogether. That’s what a recalibration of policy is about.”

quote:

Expectations for rate cuts in 2024 look extra vulnerable to a pullback, when you consider that traders have only stripped out one of the five quarter-point rate cuts they had priced prior to Friday’s jobs data.

There’s plenty of room for more rate-cut expectations to be pared in coming weeks. For Treasuries, that also means more pain to come, with investors likely to trim net-long positions, some of which stand at the highest in about a month.

quote:

The big jump in employment in the household survey last month effectively represented a catch-up to the gains seen in recent months in payrolls.

quote:

Sharif at Inflation Insights has some further takeaways. He sees that huge 747,000 jump in employment in the household survey as reflecting “more people coming in from the sidelines” of the job market.

Powell last week was talking about the bounce-back in the supply of workers being a positive dynamic that has brought job market conditions into better balance.

quote:

The jobs data give the Fed license to stay patient and that message looms next week from Powell for bond traders. But this is a market that has only pulled back March rate cut odds to just under 50% and still looks for 1.14% of easing by the end of 2024.

Deutsche Bank’s Alan Ruskin says:

“The data definitely works with rhetoric that the tightening cycle may not be over, even if this is regarded as unlikely, and that it is premature for officials to be talking about easing. In short, the data extends the likelihood of a longer than usual plateau in rates.”

quote:

As Chris noted earlier, more jobs and wage growth begets more firepower for consumer spending. There are some signs of that in the report: Leisure and hospitality added 40,000 to payrolls in November. Almost all of it was at bars and restaurants, signaling there’s still lots of demand in places for discretionary spending.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 8, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot enough to scare Jerome Powell?

Fart Amplifier posted:

More consequences for women due to the Trump presidency

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1732922619261776225

He talks a big game but actually imprisoning doctors for doing abortions would be a disaster for the GOP, so we'll see. Paxton is an amoral psycho who is currently on a rampage tour so I guess I'd rate it as more likely than I would otherwise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think Paxton cares about optics

He’s been pretty openly corrupt forever, and from what I understand, he and his allies have been taking scalps in the legislature over the failed impeachment of him earlier this year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s been pretty openly corrupt forever, and from what I understand, he and his allies have been taking scalps in the legislature over the failed impeachment of him earlier this year

We won't know how many they get until the primaries, but yeah he's going HAM against people that voted for impeachment, which is a supermajority of the statehouse. BUT he's also chickenshit AND lazy and surely the national party has got to be blowing up his phone, or maybe one of his burner phones, or encrypted chat programs he's not supposed to have telling him not to do this.

Senate GOP now hoping for "hit by a bus" to get them out of a Trump nom
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1733130920939384970

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A member of the House GOP was caught on camera grabbing a man and threatening him. The person was identified as a former staff member of his that he had recently fired.

He says he was being blackmailed by the former staffer who threatened to expose his daughter's OnlyFans account.

He has decided to go public with the information after the video came out to clear his name and remove any leverage the former staffer had over him.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1733125952127832536

quote:

GOP lawmaker: Ousted aides targeted my daughter for OnlyFans account

A Republican member of Congress is alleging that a former top aide spearheaded a “vindictive” threat to expose his daughter’s OnlyFans account.

Rep. Brandon Williams (R-N.Y.) told POLITICO that his former chief of staff and former legislative director attempted to retaliate against him using his 27-year old daughter’s account on OnlyFans, a popular forum for people to charge for access to sexually explicit content.

According to Williams, the two former staffers, Michael Gordon and Ryan Sweeney, threatened to expose his daughter after Williams fired them.

Williams’ remarkable decision to go public about the feud is a bet that his political future will be improved by laying out its highly personal details. He spoke with POLITICO days after a Syracuse University student journalist shared a video of him in a profanity-laced confrontation with Gordon outside a holiday party in Washington.

Gordon was “trying to exert some leverage over me,” Williams said, “and I just simply won’t allow that to happen.”

Williams, a first-term member in a battleground seat, won his race year by one percentage point. He is one of House Democrats’ top targets to unseat in 2024.

Gordon said that “the allegations Congressman Williams has levied against me are categorically false” and declined to comment further. Sweeney said the “congressman’s allegations are completely false.”

The confrontation with Gordon, which Sweeney filmed, began causing political trouble for Williams soon after its release last week. On the day before indicted former Rep. George Santos was expelled from Congress for a litany of alleged criminal misdeeds — a move that Williams and other New York Republicans led the charge for — Santos called for a House Ethics Committee investigation of Williams because of his behavior in the video.

Williams is seen confronting Gordon outside the party, pointing his finger at Gordon and vowing that if “you f–k with my family, I’ll end every relationship you have.” In response to that on-camera threat, Gordon denied any knowledge of the unspecified allegations at issue.

Williams said that the clash stemmed from a pressure campaign that began after his decision to give Gordon 30 days to find new employment. The ousted aide responded by contacting a GOP campaign consultant close to the lawmaker.

That consultant, Aaron Evans, told POLITICO he went to Williams in recent weeks to relay Gordon’s warning: Before going through with the firing, Gordon said, the lawmaker should think about the potential embarrassment his family would experience if TMZ found out about his daughter’s OnlyFans account.

POLITICO is not publishing the name of Williams’ daughter to protect her privacy.

Williams said in the interview that, a few days prior to that altercation, other aides of his told him that Gordon had shared details of the OnlyFans account widely with other congressional staffers. Gordon was also “saying really rude things about [Williams’] wife,” the lawmaker recalled.

Gordon lived in Williams’ home during part of the latter’s campaign, the lawmaker recalled. But their relationship began unraveling over the course of their months living together and as they worked more closely together in D.C., according to Williams, who described his former chief of staff as “a deeply broken person.”

Williams declined to comment on the specifics behind the dismissals of Gordon and Sweeney. A person with direct knowledge of the personnel matter, granted anonymity to discuss internal office dynamics, said that Sweeney was fired for reasons related to job performance.

After Sweeney recorded the lawmaker during their argument outside the holiday party, Williams said the former aide delivered a personal jab at the lawmaker: “Hey, f–k you! Guess what, bitch? All I have to do is pay $7 to watch your daughter shove her phone up her p—y!”

One eyewitness of the skirmish, however, could not confirm that version of events and recalled seeing Williams leave the area right after knocking Sweeney’s phone out of his hands. This eyewitness, granted anonymity to share recollections of the tense moment, added that the scene was loud and crowded so a comment might have been missed.

Williams’ critics have noted that he has faced multiple staff departures beyond Gordon and Sweeney since taking office. According to the nonpartisan website Legistorm found that he has had three times more turnover than the average House member.

Williams argued that he reshaped his office culture after settling into Congress, removing hires that Gordon had initially made, and said he’s now surrounded by a team he is proud of.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden is scheduled to announce the creation of the first ever national high-speed rail network in America later today.

They will use funds from the bipartisan infrastructure act and the IRA to fund the construction.

The project includes $30 billion to finish or upgrade existing high-speed rail projects and connect them to a national rail network as well as $8.2 billion for new tracks and routes to be built from scratch.

https://twitter.com/TheMessenger/status/1733089058723655761

The stalled/abandoned high-speed rail projects that are being given money to be finished are:

quote:

The Brightline West High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail System Project will receive up to $3 billion for a new 218-mile intercity passenger rail system between Las Vegas, Nevada, and Rancho Cucamonga, California. The project will create a new high-speed rail system, resulting in trip times of just over 2 hours – nearly twice as fast as driving. This route is expected to serve more than 11 million passengers annually, taking millions of cars off the road and, thanks to all-electric train sets, removing an estimated 400,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year. This project will create 35,000 jobs supporting construction and support 1,000 permanent jobs in operations and maintenance once in service. Brightline’s agreement with the California State and Southern Nevada Building Trades will ensure that this project is built with good-paying union labor, and the project has reached a separate agreement with Rail Labor to employ union workers for its ongoing operations and maintenance. The project will also allow for connections to the Los Angeles Metro area via the Metrolink commuter rail system.

quote:

The California Inaugural High-Speed Rail Service Project will receive up to $3.07 billion to help deliver high-speed rail service in California’s Central Valley by designing and extending the rail line between Bakersfield and Merced, procuring new high-speed trainsets, and constructing the Fresno station, which will connect communities to urban centers in Northern and Southern California. This 171-mile rail corridor will support high-speed travel with speeds up to 220mph. The project will improve connectivity and increase travel options, along with providing more frequent passenger rail service, from the Central Valley to urban centers in northern and Southern California. New all-electric trainsets will produce zero emissions and be powered by 100% renewable energy. By separating passenger and freight lines, this project will benefit freight rail operations throughout California as well. This project has already created over 11,000 good-paying union construction jobs and has committed to using union labor for operations and maintenance.

quote:

The Raleigh to Richmond (R2R) Innovating Rail Program Phases IA and II project will receive up to $1.1 billion to build approximately additional parts of the Southeast Corridor from Raleigh to Wake Forest, North Carolina, including new and upgraded track, eleven grade separations and closure of multiple at-grade crossings. The investment will improve system and service performance by developing a resilient and reliable passenger rail route that will also contribute to freight and supply chain resiliency in the southeastern U.S. The proposed project is part of a multi-phased effort to develop a new passenger rail route between Raleigh, North Carolina, and Richmond, Virginia, and better connect the southern states to DC and the Northeast Corridor. Once completed, this new route will save passengers an estimated 90 minutes per trip.

quote:

The Long Bridge project, part of the Transforming Rail in Virginia – Phase II program, will receive $729 million to construct a new two-track rail bridge over the Potomac River to expand passenger rail capacity between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Nearly 6 million passengers travel over the existing bridge every year on Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express lines. This upgrade will reduce congestion and delays on this heavily-traveled corridor to our nation’s capital.

The new railways that will be started from scratch:

quote:

Scranton to New York, reviving a dormant rail corridor between Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, to provide up to three daily trips for commuters and other passengers;

Colorado Front Range, a new rail corridor connecting Fort Collins, CO, and Pueblo, CO, to serve an area that currently has no passenger rail options;

The Northern Lights Express, connecting Minneapolis, MN and Duluth, MN, with several stops in Wisconsin, for greater regional connectivity;

Cascadia High-Speed Rail, a proposed new high-speed rail corridor linking Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver, with entirely new service;

Charlotte to Atlanta, a new high-speed rail corridor linking the Southeast and providing connection to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, the busiest airport in the world;

They will also be refitting Chicago's Amtrak terminal to expand capacity so it can serve as a central hub for all of the new mid-west high-speed rail tracks.

The railways that already exist, but will receive updates and connections to the new track network are all in the existing Amtrak Northeast corridor that services Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Additionally, this includes money for freight trains to have their own rails in some locations that are not shared with commuter trains. This is to increase the speed and reduce stops for both freight and passenger trains and improve the supply lines for freight shipments.

Press Release and Fact Sheet with more details:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ss-the-country/

Map of what the initial national high-speed rail network will look like:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 8, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's been under federal indictment for the past eight years. I believe it's set for trial next February.

Just a pure sociopath who would never be allowed to practice law at all in a country with a justice system.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 8, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it occurs to somebody at the White House to upload a map where I can actually read the legend!

I'm curious about the connection between Charlotte and Raleigh - it's blue on the map, which I assume means there's already a good commuter line between them. (It passes through Durham and Greensboro which are both moderately big cities.) The combo of the Charlotte-Atlanta projects and Raleigh-Richmond projects could have an end result of a connected corridor from Atlanta to Boston.

Longer term you could cut across the gulf coast states, connect to NO, Houston, Dallas and OKC and bring it up to KC to complete a solid loop of the entire eastern half of the country. (e: Man if I lived in OKC or Dallas I would be intensely annoyed by being unable to take a train to KC because of that gap. [e2: I guess there is a minor line from Wichita to KC at least.)

I wonder if there's any way they can get that Las Vegas train closer to LA than Rancho Cucamonga? It seems like every bit further you could pull that towards the city center would result in more replaced car trips, but I'm sure the right of way costs get absolutely insane once you're west of RC.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 8, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Misunderstood posted:

I hope it occurs to somebody at the White House to upload a map where I can actually read the legend!

I found a slightly higher quality image and edited it into the OP. I'm not sure why they used a 500x800 pixel image for the official press release.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's been under federal indictment for the past eight years. I believe it's set for trial next February.

Just a pure sociopath who would never be allowed to practice law at all in a country with a justice system.

Oll korrect except for it's a state indictment, he wouldn't have been able to jack the feds around like this. He's currently being investigated by the FBI over the stuff he was impeached about so those will be federal indictments.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

The new railways that will be started from scratch:

I am very excited that it looks like the Minneapolis to Duluth rail might finally happen, I will definitely be using it several times a year! And good overall on Biden for prioritizing this and finally getting the funding for it. We definitely need a better/more connected rail system in our country.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

disappointed they arent kicking any money to the houston-dallas project (unless i missed it)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lobster shirt posted:

disappointed they arent kicking any money to the houston-dallas project (unless i missed it)

Nope, nothing for Dallas-Houston high-speed rail in this chunk of money.

Apparently, the issue is that it will cost at least $30 billion to finish and the Texas state government and private partner who were working with Amtrak are both dragging their feet on putting up their share of the money. The state government has become hostile to the idea of funding it and the private company was hit with a barrage of lawsuits, problems acquiring land to build tracks, and constant hiring/firing of people to run the project, so they stopped putting additional money into it.

Amtrak is trying to revive the project and getting federal funding to finish studies, but it was originally a fully private project and Amtrak doesn't want to just hand money over to the company after the costs expanded from $12 billion to $30 billion unless Texas and the company front their share and commit to finishing it.

quote:

Amtrak is working with private developer Texas Central Partners to revive construction of a high-speed passenger train that would travel the 236 miles between Houston and Dallas in 90 minutes. However, funding for the stalled $30-billion project is unclear, as is its future. Neither Amtrak nor Texas Central have a timeline for construction.

Last week, Texas Central officials said Amtrak is working with the company to apply for federal funds to “conduct advance planning and analysis work” intended to further determine project viability, Amtrak said in a statement.

Acording to their statement, applications are already in for further studies and design work, under the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure Safety and Improvements grant program, the Corridor Identification and Development program and the Federal-State Partnership for Intercity Passenger Rail grant program.

The high-speed rail project was announced over a decade ago as a private venture, without government funding. Leadership issues, lawsuits and other legal matters, including land rights, delayed the project, initially set for 2020 completion, and drove its estimated cost from $12 billion to more than $30 billion.

Allen Rutter, a senior research scientist at Texas A&M Transportation Institute, thinks the agreement is a way for Amtrak to have a larger footprint in Texas.

The carrier also has submitted grant applications for federal funds for its daily Sunset Limited service and the extension of the Crescent from Mississippi through Louisiana and Texas. Amtrak also supports Kansas DOT’s Heartland Flyer Extension Corridor Identification and Development (Corridor ID) application that will connect Wichita and communities across Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas to the Amtrak network.

The railroad says it also supports Texas Dept. of Transportation’s applications for the Texas Triangle (Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio) routes.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

There's an Amtrak line right outside my lab. They increased the number of trains per day on it. Fills my heart with pride hearing them rumble past. I am extremely hyped for the S-line. Taking 1.5 hrs off the trip to Noo Yawk is a huge deal and would make train travel the optimal choice always.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've taken the acela from DC to Boston. It's not as cheap as it could be, has issues due to track sharing, etc. But it's so much less pain in the rear end than flying, and not that much slower once you account for airport security. Having that extend through Richmond all the way down to Raleigh would be amazing.

Lol that the map is blurry as gently caress even on the website. :eng99:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nope, nothing for Dallas-Houston high-speed rail in this chunk of money.

Apparently, the issue is that it will cost at least $30 billion to finish and the Texas state government and private partner who were working with Amtrak are both dragging their feet on putting up their share of the money. The state government has become hostile to the idea of funding it and the private company was hit with a barrage of lawsuits, problems acquiring land to build tracks, and constant hiring/firing of people to run the project, so they stopped putting additional money into it.

Amtrak is trying to revive the project and getting federal funding to finish studies, but it was originally a fully private project and Amtrak doesn't want to just hand money over to the company after the costs expanded from $12 billion to $30 billion unless Texas and the company front their share and commit to finishing it.

IIRC the private Texas rail between Houston and Dallas has been stuck in legal limbo for the last couple years untangling eminent domain. There are a lot of ranchers and farmers that absolutely do not want their property split.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I found a slightly higher quality image and edited it into the OP. I'm not sure why they used a 500x800 pixel image for the official press release.

nice to see PA is getting alot of love. used to be railroad capital of the US like 100 years back. hell my home town still has a railroad line for tourism.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

just demolish i-45 and turn it into railroads, easy peasy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Other notes about the national high-speed rail network:

- As you can see from the map, it is called the "national high-speed rail network," but it is because they are connecting all the tracks across the country.

It isn't 100% high-speed rail. The high-speed rail sections are generally between low/no stop routes between two major cities.

They are using upgraded tracks and cars for the non-high speed rail that can reach speeds of up to 180 MPH over current cars that cap out at 120 MPH. But, the 220 MPH+ high-speed trains are limited to only the red parts of the map.

- All the projects have different timelines.

The map is what the final version will look like in 2034.

About 50% of projects are expected to be finished in 3-5 years.

The rest are expected to be finished after that.

At least one project is expected to take 10 years, so the final date for the full national high-speed rail network to be fully active is 2034. However, depending on what region you live in, your local projects may be finished by 2027.

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC the private Texas rail between Houston and Dallas has been stuck in legal limbo for the last couple years untangling eminent domain. There are a lot of ranchers and farmers that absolutely do not want their property split.

Yeah, I believe that is what the many lawsuits are referring to.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 8, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hi guys, I'm a time traveler from the year 2045 and I wanted to let you all know that the California rail projects are almost ready to start hearings with county and local town governance. There's a lot of concern about neighborhood character and increased traffic, and...

*time traveler from 2065 appears out of nowhere* Hi guys, I wanted to let you all know that the California rail projects are almost ready to start hearings with county...

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Sundae posted:

Hi guys, I'm a time traveler from the year 2045 and I wanted to let you all know that the California rail projects are almost ready to start hearings with county and local town governance. There's a lot of concern about neighborhood character and increased traffic, and...

*time traveler from 2065 appears out of nowhere* Hi guys, I wanted to let you all know that the California rail projects are almost ready to start hearings with county...

I feel like Biden would start building the rail tracks himself by this point. He'll become the oldest person alive, fueled solely by his anger of more train routes not being built yet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Misunderstood posted:

I wonder if there's any way they can get that Las Vegas train closer to LA than Rancho Cucamonga? It seems like every bit further you could pull that towards the city center would result in more replaced car trips, but I'm sure the right of way costs get absolutely insane once you're west of RC.

There is already a Metrolink rail line from Union Station (main hub of the LA's transit system) to Rancho Cucamonga, but it would be nice to get that upgraded. But I'm sure LA would rather spend that money on building new subway lines

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kalit posted:

I feel like Biden would start building the rail tracks himself by this point. He'll become the oldest person alive, fueled solely by his anger of more train routes not being built yet.

Like a horrible amalgamation of John Henry and Jimmy Carter, and fueled by an unquenchable thirst for the country to wear a girdle of steel rails?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Public comment should be abolished, it only benefits malefactors

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

There is already a Metrolink rail line from Union Station (main hub of the LA's transit system) to Rancho Cucamonga, but it would be nice to get that upgraded. But I'm sure LA would rather spend that money on building new subway lines
That's good - seems like even if the Metrolink is less than ideal, cutting 2 hours off relative to the drive should make people from LA happy to take it out there. Even if the substandard commuter rail adds a half hour to your trip you're still way ahead. (And of course, it's LA, so oftentimes driving across county would be slower anyway.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the Buffalo - Detroit/Chicago route that clearly exists but goes through Canada so is missing from the map. I just want to take a train to Toronto faster than driving is that too much to ask?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Eminent domain all the farmers in Texas and build a train meganetwork

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Sundae posted:

Most of the NIMBY boomers should be dead by then. I expect such rail projects to accelerate as their political interference declines.

Assuming of course elections are still a thing...

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bodyholes posted:

Most of the NIMBY boomers should be dead by then. I expect such rail projects to accelerate as their political interference declines.

Assuming of course elections are still a thing...

Counterpoint: all of the zoomers will want more roadway space for self-driving cars and think going to a train station is too much :effort: :negative:

I'm joking. Well...half joking....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bwee posted:

Eminent domain all the farmers in Texas and build a train meganetwork

College Station...say why's it called that

https://twitter.com/DjsokeSpeaking/status/1733144858007601247

I guess one explanation could be that individual perceptions are a lagging indicator and in 3 months we'll be like "remember when everyone thought the economy sucked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sundae posted:

Lol dang, so thankful the Seattle area light rail is usable & expanding. High cost & not without delays & hiccups but is reliable & cheap & will be opening lots of new stations soon.