Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It is one of the biggest things I've wondered about him. Personal charisma allows mediocre people to manifest success all the time, and lack of it makes geniuses languish in obscurity. If you have the gift of gab people want to sign the world over to you.

It's the only way I can explain Elon having somehow pratfalled into billions of dollars after the Paypal/X.com debacle. But there's no evidence in today's Elon of anyone who could have made that happen, accrued all those sycophants, attained all that presumed credibility...

Nowadays the only evidence 90% of the world needs is "he already succeeded", and only a vanishingly small number of them even know what he looks like. They just know he's rich therefore he probably deserves to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't have to be charismatic if you can pay somebody else to convince people you must be charismatic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Of course nowadays instead of hiring competent PR, he prefers to let the Yacc and IMC to represent him , lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It is one of the biggest things I've wondered about him. Personal charisma allows mediocre people to manifest success all the time, and lack of it makes geniuses languish in obscurity. If you have the gift of gab people want to sign the world over to you.

It's the only way I can explain Elon having somehow pratfalled into billions of dollars after the Paypal/X.com debacle. But there's no evidence in today's Elon of anyone who could have made that happen, accrued all those sycophants, attained all that presumed credibility...

Original-Musk ran away with a billion dollars (more than enough to live in blissful decadence for a lifetime) and got a lovely character-actor to take his place so nobody would go looking for him and disturb his blissful decadence.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Nowadays the only evidence 90% of the world needs is "he already succeeded", and only a vanishingly small number of them even know what he looks like. They just know he's rich therefore he probably deserves to be
I think it's pretty simple. If you have money, it's easier to make money. Imagine placing a large bet when the money means a lot to you vs when it's frivolous. If you win big, you win huge if the bet was a significant sum of money (to regular folk).

Also if you have lots of money that opens doors to ways to make even more money, or keep more of what you have (e.g. creative accounting, offshore tax avoidance, etc).

One of the biggest problems with Musk, which I've heard in response to criticism of him, is that because he's got so much money he must automatically be right about everything he says.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Durzel posted:

One of the biggest problems with Musk, which I've heard in response to criticism of him, is that because he's got so much money he must automatically be right about everything he says.

If he wants that to work he can pay me to think he's right about (thing). My opinions are for sale.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

If he wants that to work he can pay me to think he's right about (thing). My opinions are for sale.

It's hilarious how cheap it is to bribe real deal US politicians.

If people want to make a difference they should gofundme political bribes donations, it's so affordable!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, that Adam Neumann guy is apparently still getting people to dump money on him.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teen witch posted:

lethally rizzless

good user name imo

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Data Graham posted:

You ever heard Chris Roberts of Star Citizen talk? They’re like twins. Goons used to take the transcripts of his interviews and add back in the hundreds of “uhh erm actually umm…” moments. Somehow nerds find this charismatic.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone take several minutes to pause before though, I assume that’s the ketamine.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
A decent enough amount of people think that people who are rich are something to aspire to be like and they are leading the way forward.

A decent enough amount of people are dumb.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, that's what I keep saying I think is the real deep-down reason why people swarmed to vote for Trump. It's not because of the racism, though that certainly doesn't hurt. It's because he's rich. For decades he's been the avatar of Rich Guy they see in their grocery-store checkout-lane tabloids just Being Rich. Obviously if we vote for Rich Guy, he'll make us all rich too

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is a charisma in earnest dopeyness that works well in idea guy jobs either in small groups or in formats that don't need saturation of communication. Good for selling a dot com or plying boards but divisive if you stick them on stages once a week or you let them stream of conscious verbal diarrhea on a social network.

If nerds are flies it is also honey because it's empathetically relatable to nerdy dopes who aren't dopey enough to pull it off as charismatic but directly relate to talking like a dope.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It cant be just that, no other billionaire currently has the cult following Musk got

I think theres 2 things here:

1- Musk sells a Future: his enterprises and products arent just more of the same, they are all "futuristic" stuff. He sells cool sci-fi stuff, like spaceships and smart cars, colonies in other planets, robots, stuff we grew up seeing in movies, comics and TV but that so far the reality failed to deliver. Now he says he will deliver those things, he is taking us out of this boring world into The Future! He believes that, and lots of people believe him too. Is also why he had to do such a dumb car as the cybertruck

2- he is "one of us" (one of them): yeah instead of being like all other super rich people who prefer to live among other super rich people doing super rich people stuff, here is a man who is the richest of all and he spends his time shitposting and playing videogames

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Original-Musk ran away with a billion dollars (more than enough to live in blissful decadence for a lifetime) and got a lovely character-actor to take his place so nobody would go looking for him and disturb his blissful decadence.

Bald Musk was killed by the woke mind virus and Tesla created a fresh clone with monkey brains and Twitter algorithm

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I love it when our elections are wild

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Other billionaires aren't on social media posting looking for friends.

Musk probably grew up with gently caress all friends. Said a few things awhile back and got a bit of attention because he's rich AND has chud opinions. Chuds liked him for his views and maybe they get something. Musk then keeps on saying similar stuff because he now has ''friends''. Other chuds see a cool group is forming and continue flocking to him. No one likes Musk that much but it's the cool place to be and Musk might throw them something in the form of a donation or more importantly, amplify them i.e. their posts on twitter. By now though, Musk being the narcissist that he is has fully red pilled himself just to be adored and actually thinks that he is the savior of humanity. This just screams of dumb kid at school no one likes but their rich parents throw lots of parties, excursions etc to buy popularity because they know their kid is a dork so the kid is tolerated by everyone so they get free poo poo. Musk is psych101 for anyone in this field of study.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Trump made his bones in the 70s to early 2000's NY. He was one of thousands rich assholes all vying for attention. His ego had to compete against people on equal footing and even a billionaire might get cursed at on NY streets. Elon was dork with money immersed in geek culture. He made a lot of promises that only nerds care about and had the bankroll to appear credible. He's never proven himself or competed with people on his level. Nor has he wanted. That's why he sucks up to Trump, Jones, and Tate because they are the real deal compared to him. If they had Elon's money, they wouldn't entertain him. They would probably call him a cuck.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

great idea

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

This whole musk running twitter thing sure has laid bare how desperately the right wants to be correct, yet keeps running up against reality and then beating it down until they get the answer they want.

Perhaps humanity was a mistake

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Concerning

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

smellmycheese posted:

I have created Grok 9000

It talks like windows 10 when it’s taking longer than it should to log in, but if it was written by a thirty year old virgin

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
When the news came out about Musk’s actual degree (BA in economics, LOL), it really looked like his boy genius image was largely created by others. Maybe they were dazzled by his futurism, but he absolutely got help. And then he got lucky with PayPal/Tesla/SpaceX, hired competent people, learned to game carbon credits, and had enough self control to not spoil the image being created for him. But then he started believing the hype.

And now whatever guardrails he had are gone and he’s failing at everything he does and he can’t figure out why.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat
Is anyone calling xwitter "Schwitzer" yet?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

temple posted:

That's why he sucks up to Trump, Jones, and Tate because they are the real deal compared to him. If they had Elon's money, they wouldn't entertain him. They would probably call him a cuck.

Trump doesn't have anywhere near Elon's wealth, and he still calls him a pathetic loser because he has a proper predator's instinct for smelling desperation.

It's not an enviable talent, but it is one, which puts him ahead of Elon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's hilarious how much musk signal boosts the fact that there's antisemitism on his social media platform by replying to these people trying to point fingers. Like obviously the 95% figure is a complete fabrication but even if it were true he's still acknowledging the fact that Twitter is full of empowered racists and advertisers don't care who is doing a racism.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I, for one, enjoy watching the downfall of a shitstain in real time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

May I live in interesting times

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tai posted:

Other billionaires aren't on social media posting looking for friends.

Musk probably grew up with gently caress all friends.

Yeah, go figure. I can't understand why....

(Not disagreeing with your analysis; just being a smartass about Elon.)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/esjesjesj/status/1734004838797651983

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
the only people I'm actively platforming and agreeing with just happen to be dyed in the wool fascists, which does not in any way reflect on me at all

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

It talks like windows 10 when it’s taking longer than it should to log in, but if it was written by a thirty year old virgin

These were the instructions I used in my attempt to emulate Grok

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol this can't real

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It all happens on X

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Hell yeah jackin pants

Who needs Apple ad money?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005