Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

RoH should be good, but it should be relegated to what black and gold NXT was. An hour of good wrestling contained to it's own show without bleed in to the main roster stuff. But then have kick rear end papes,but put the papes on the streaming thing and not actually expensive.

Get all the titles off and out of my AEW. If RoH people are on Dynamite/Rampage/Collision then they should get their asses handed to them by the main roster.

Then get rid of aew trio titles because gently caress em. Then cut the TBS championship in two and now you have TBS Women's Tag belts. Get more women on my TV that way.

Then I dunno, use up the rest of your time with good matches and poo poo
Maybe fire people if they complain about not being booked. Or just book 'em I guess. Throw more folks to Uno's Mystery Wrestling cuz that's fun.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

if Okada reups with New Japan they totally should have Okada/Tana/Ishii win the Trio's title and unite them with the Never Belts

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

trios belts should be axed. total dud

another genius idea from the evps?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I think the trios belts were a cool idea in early 2022 when Death Triangle and House of Black were putting on absolute bangers and you had like 8 different teams that could compete for them. But then most of those teams broke up and now they're just low card filler belts that don't even get onto the PPVs, so I guess it's just another thing that used to be cool that became shitified in 2023, like the world title.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I was cooling off AEW already for a while but with news like this it it'd just be too depressing to even watch anymore.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think the trios belts were a cool idea in early 2022 when Death Triangle and House of Black were putting on absolute bangers and you had like 8 different teams that could compete for them. But then most of those teams broke up and now they're just low card filler belts that don't even get onto the PPVs, so I guess it's just another thing that used to be cool that became shitified in 2023, like the world title.

Yeah there was that point like around when reDRagon showed up when the tag team scene was so insanely stacked it looked like there would be a wildly competitive tag and trios scene and it's just been loving decimated.

The trios belts have been dead from the start due to Punk and the tag titles have devolved to Big Bill having one.

Crazy fall.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol at the brand new trios titles and the top belt in the company getting vacated at the same time after a big huge pape because ace steele got bitey

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Trios stuff works when a company kind of builds around them like Chikara did, or Mexico does, or there's a bunch of factions like Dragon Gate or NJPW (Altho the NEVER trios titles are lame too)

AEW doesn't build the show around trios tho so there's always just like, 6 established trios and half of them are constantly on ice because someone's injured

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

And a lot of those trios are a tag with a third.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

And a lot of those trios are a tag with a third.

That's maths that is.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

You know what I mean.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i wish all the chikara fans would have left the clamoring for the trios division in the same bin as quackenbush! total waste of time!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Trios titles are cool, if you book them well. Open The Triangle Gate Titles rule. Even the mostly after-thought NEVER 6 Man Tag belts are a fun thing for guys cycled out of the main event scene to do with their friends.

Tony should really go back into his tape collection & watch classic Toryumon & DG if he insists on keeping them around, learn from CIMA & friends how to book them.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

“This thing could bury somebody”

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

lmao

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tampa Bae posted:

Trios stuff works when a company kind of builds around them like Chikara did, or Mexico does, or there's a bunch of factions like Dragon Gate or NJPW (Altho the NEVER trios titles are lame too)

AEW doesn't build the show around trios tho so there's always just like, 6 established trios and half of them are constantly on ice because someone's injured

The NEVER titles fully justified their existence by giving us main event YOSHI-HASHI.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The NEVER titles fully justified their existence by giving us main event YOSHI-HASHI.

Hell yeah, that year long reign of YOSHI-HASHI and friends where the titles were invariably the only thing making the Road To shows worth tuning in for live

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah there was that point like around when reDRagon showed up when the tag team scene was so insanely stacked it looked like there would be a wildly competitive tag and trios scene and it's just been loving decimated.

The trios belts have been dead from the start due to Punk and the tag titles have devolved to Big Bill having one.

Crazy fall.

What the hell? Big Bill rules

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Eat My Fuc posted:

lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anything can be cool if you treat it like it matters and use it to deliver interesting matches and stories.

Death Triangle and the Elite in a best of 7 was interesting.
House of Black doing matches with spooky lighting where they were allowed to beat the poo poo out of you extra hard, but you could pick a stip of your own to balance it out was interesting.
The Acclaimed chasing House of Black but Billy Gunn costing them the match because he's a loving 78 year old man was interesting.
The Acclaimed then winning the titles doing the same extremely tired raps and extremely tired promos and extremely tired matches that, let's be honest, have never been better than fine, was not interesting.

Now, Top Flight and Action Andretti just doin' a bunch of poo poo in their matches, is pretty interesting. And them having a little face vs. face feud with Penta, Kommander and Vikingo, who also just do a bunch of poo poo, is also pretty interesting!

You could just do that. You could just build the trios division around the Minnesota Flippy Boys and the Luchadors. Just open every Dynamite with a buncha guys doin' poo poo for 12 minutes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

poopy could be cool, jeff? really? i do trust you, but...

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Poopy is cool jeff

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Throw The Acclaimed and the Trios titles into Mt Doom and save Anthony Bowens somehow.

I don't know, I know they can and have done good stuff with those titles but everything somehow feels stretched so thin, and the Trios titles are more superfluous than the AEW Tag titles... I think?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

im pretty sure the acclaimed having the trios titles is just a way to tell Billy Gunn "hey thanks heres a belt since you probably should retire soon"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

haunted bong posted:

im pretty sure the acclaimed having the trios titles is just a way to tell Billy Gunn "hey thanks heres a belt since you probably should retire soon"

The angle for them winning was that Billy wanted a gold watch.

I think the main thing about the trios titles is that it’s an unfamiliar concept to most fans and it felt like a vanity project for the elite when they were introduced. It also led to a lack of emphasis on the regular tag title scene which was one of AEW’s big strengths.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but if they want to put titles on a trio they can just use the Freebird rule for the regular tag titles but allow the titles to be defended against not only two-man tags but also other trios.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think something else I have noticed which makes things tough to watch is that wrestlers get over doing a thing and they become cardboard cutouts of JUST THAT ONE THING over and over and over and over without any depth or story or personality outside of it.

Ex 1: The Acclaimed. I loved them when they got themselves over and became tag champs but jfc ALL THEY DO is come out and talk about scissoring and 69ing. Enough already.
Ex 2: Miro. Miro seems to only do his "standing in a room alone talking about God and his hot wife" promos now and hasn't done poo poo all outside of a weak program with Hobbs for a week or two
Ex 3: Roddy, no explanation needed

It feels like Tony just books to try to milk catchphrases or things that people like into the loving ground without actually developing an interesting angle or something else people can latch on to about their personas and it's become stupid one-note crap everywhere instead of the feeling that these are more or less real people, more or less being themselves, and having things feel unpredictable..

In short: things feel stale, there don't seem to be any natural serious believable feuds, there are very frequently not even clear heels and babyfaces. There are no stakes in matches even if the wrestling is great. There are a million useless titles, there is a feeling of "throwing a ton of poo poo against the wall" instead of focusing on their stars continuously, etc.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 13, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The angle for them winning was that Billy wanted a gold watch.

I think the main thing about the trios titles is that it’s an unfamiliar concept to most fans and it felt like a vanity project for the elite when they were introduced. It also led to a lack of emphasis on the regular tag title scene which was one of AEW’s big strengths.

Totally agree with this. One of the things which initially made me watch AEW was the tag team matches. Stacked division with great matches. Once we got trios belts, it seems to scattershot the tag team division and now tag title matches are almost exclusively on Collision

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

fawning deference posted:

I think something else I have noticed which makes things tough to watch is that wrestlers get over doing a thing and they become cardboard cutouts of JUST THAT ONE THING over and over and over and over without any depth or story or personality outside of it.

Ex 1: The Acclaimed. I loved them when they got themselves over and became tag champs but jfc ALL THEY DO is come out and talk about scissoring and 69ing. Enough already.
Ex 2: Miro. Miro seems to only do his "standing in a room alone talking about God and his hot wife" promos now and hasn't done poo poo all outside of a weak program with Hobbs for a week or two
Ex 3: Roddy, no explanation needed

It feels like Tony just books to try to milk catchphrases or things that people like into the loving ground without actually developing an interesting angle or something else people can latch on to about their personas and it's become stupid one-note crap everywhere instead of the feeling that these are more or less real people, more or less being themselves, and having things feel unpredictable..

In short: things feel stale, there don't seem to be any natural serious believable feuds, there are very frequently not even clear heels and babyfaces. There are no stakes in matches even if the wrestling is great. There are a million useless titles, there is a feeling of "throwing a ton of poo poo against the wall" instead of focusing on their stars continuously, etc.

It's not tony. He recently had booking stolen away by the wwe guy, and he only knows how to get over as haha funny yes chant man, so thats what he made everyone. Haha funny sec man, haha funny cuck man, haha funny wheelchair man

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

free tony

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Of all the suspension of disbelief in wrestling, Roddy wearing a t-shirt that has "ADAAAAM" on it kills the gimmick.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Cavauro posted:

poopy could be cool, jeff? really? i do trust you, but...

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

keithy george posted:

Of all the suspension of disbelief in wrestling, Roddy wearing a t-shirt that has "ADAAAAM" on it kills the gimmick.

Yeah, he should be pushing the reason for the gimmick (his desire to be Adam Coles only friend) and not the gimmick itself. Wear a shirt that says Adam + Roddy = BFF or something, not a shirt that acknowledges you come out and shout your friends name very loudly.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

But now he just shouts everyone's name loudly and it doesn't even make sense. The whole reason it was funny was that he was yelling "Adam" while Adam was standing like right next to him. Now he's just yelling "RENEEEEEEE" and it's just cringe.

Tony likes to find the one thing that gets over and then run it so far into the ground that it's being drilled full force into the center of the Earth.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tony likes to find the one thing that gets over and then run it so far into the ground that it's being drilled full force into the center of the Earth.

What do you think his SA name is

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

tony should sit under the learning tree of papa h and uncle shawn

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

History Comes Inside! posted:

What do you think his SA name is

some people know

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
just remembered the rumor that tony khan wrote that wrestling sleeze list that circulated a lot on the old internet? lol i can absolutely believe it. dont wanna link it here because its tremendously gross but i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about anyway

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s not a rumour iirc he gave away his username in an interview or some poo poo and people realised he was the OP of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

just remembered the rumor that tony khan wrote that wrestling sleeze list that circulated a lot on the old internet? lol i can absolutely believe it. dont wanna link it here because its tremendously gross but i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about anyway

he didn't write the list he just created the thread that the list was based on.