Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I played civilization once so you could say I'm a master strategist too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Busters posted:

My sentiments exactly. All I know about Derpies is that he's got one tired gimmick. I don't suppose he would have told me if he was stalking someone, but that's news to me. I assumed some mods got tired of him saying "tuggin'" in every post.

derpies was a weird creep who harassed people in gross ways, it's good he's permabanned

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

holtemon posted:

Our people are now buying your JO pants and listening to your live streams

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

kazil posted:

The war understander has logged on to reply to the Russian propagandist

i personally would not take advice from a guy who can't make a pop tart without injuring himself

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

holtemon posted:

I played civilization polytopia once so you could say I'm a master strategist too

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The Polytopia expert player has entered the room

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Quote-Unquote posted:

I've been a software dev for 14 years and I've had exactly two colleagues that didn't think Musk is a loving moron that would be horrible to work for. One was a sex pest that got fired for groping colleagues and making racist comments at an office party, the other was a super conservative fuckwit from a very rich family who didn't need to work, but he had no life so working ridiculous hours was his way of having social interaction. May also have been a sex pest.

I've worked in IT for about as long and I've found this to be pretty consistent. The one guy I used to work with that was a big Tesla guy was also the guy who forced the whole team to play Among Us with a bunch of non-gamer teammates, made himself the impostor every time and killed everyone.

He's also a "but he made Graduation" guy

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

god damit it

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When are we getting fully self jerking pants is what I want to know

According to Halo lore, no later than the 2550

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol Grimes betrayed him in Polytopia and he was inconsolable

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

According to Halo lore, no later than the 2550

The pants will have wormholes, you won't even have to jack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kazil posted:

Lol, he said they should just surrender before Daddy Putin did too much damage

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kazil posted:

I thought his advice was for Ukraine to just capitulate so Russia wouldn't have to keep the war going :confused:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Daily Beast posted:

"The platform, formerly known as Twitter, is predicted to collect $2.5 billion in advertising revenue this year—a sharp drop from years prior, sources told the publication. X took in just over $600 million in revenue during each of the first three quarters of this year, a roughly 40% drop over the past 12 months alone. Sources told Bloomberg that executives at X had set a $3 billion target for both advertising and subscriptions in 2023. “This presents an incomplete view of our entire business, as the sources you’re relying on for information are not providing accurate and comprehensive details,” Joe Benarroch, head of business operations for X, told Bloomberg, adding X was an “evolving NEW global business with multiple revenue streams. We are not Twitter any longer and not measuring ourselves by old Twitter metrics — both in revenue and user metrics.”

LOL

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia! - Elom Blump

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Juul-Whip posted:

oh, does that sound like hard work to you? you don't like it? what are you, some kind of insect??

Yet tech bros love the division of labour.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

gay picnic defence posted:

It costs marginally more than the fixed wireless we had that stopped working when some trees grew tall enough that we lost line of sight to the phone tower 15km away. Before the fixed wireless they had some lovely connection that literally took all day to pay a bunch of vendors. I’m not sure if there’s an LTE service available at this site but I don’t think so or we’d probably be using that instead.

I don’t know if they’ll be able to make it work for every orbit but apparently SpaceX is planning on sending up replacement satellites as piggy back payloads on their commercial flights to keep the costs down.

I would ensure you do your due diligence on the tree issue - Starlink has an aggressive angle and needs Line of Sight to function. So those trees could very well be an issue there also. I've had microwave connections at sites so I know that feel on them sucking rear end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the same Musk who turned off the Starlinks that had been given to the Ukrainian Army by the DoD, prompting the Pentagon to have to give them other Starlinks that didn't have an 'off' switch he controlled

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kazil posted:

more like Starstink!

:eyepop:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MunchE posted:

I would ensure you do your due diligence on the tree issue - Starlink has an aggressive angle and needs Line of Sight to function. So those trees could very well be an issue there also. I've had microwave connections at sites so I know that feel on them sucking rear end.

Starlink has been fine since we started using it, never had any interruptions. The satellite would need to be almost on the horizon for the trees to be an issue for it. The hill that the phone tower is on isn’t very high and our dish could only be placed 20m up on a conveyer elevator so trees don’t have to be very tall to start being an issue.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The richest capitalist in the world: NOT "The West"

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I do a fair amount of Starlink service installs for boats/yachts. It is neat but there is nothing to say that Musk just might slip an extra Ambien and drop a Starlink DNS server into his bathtub or something. It's a nice upgrade for most folk, but it must be paired with an LTE modem or something for comms backups. There is nothing stopping it from just NOT WORKING at any given moment. Not that that's any more different than any other ISP from doing the same....

It works most of the time. But as a tech it loving awful. Proprietary connectors, mounting hardware that's all just a little off the standard sizes so requires weird fabricated Etsy brackets. A network stack that looks like a guy hiding behind seven Tor proxies using a Netgear combo modem.

It should in no way be used for anything commercial, or that requires an always on connection. For normal residential internet you may not notice it, but for a commercial OP, its weird down times and latency fluctuations can be a headache.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Avirosb posted:

The pants will have wormholes, you won't even have to jack.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

STOP, or My Mom Will Post!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I would like to be hired at twitter but that's mostly because the worst case scenario is that Musk massively violates labor law, contractual obligations, and probably racial discrimination and sexual harassment law when he fires me and I get a sweet payout

Best case scenario I'm in on the ground floor when it gets repoed by the banks and sold to George Soros or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I would like to be hired at twitter but that's mostly because the worst case scenario is that Musk massively violates labor law, contractual obligations, and probably racial discrimination and sexual harassment law when he fires me and I get a sweet payout

Best case scenario I'm in on the ground floor when it gets repoed by the banks and sold to George Soros or something

That's when you discover the joys of forced arbitration and you get nothing, assuming musk's lawyers even bother showing up

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

gay picnic defence posted:

Starlink has been fine since we started using it, never had any interruptions. The satellite would need to be almost on the horizon for the trees to be an issue for it. The hill that the phone tower is on isn’t very high and our dish could only be placed 20m up on a conveyer elevator so trees don’t have to be very tall to start being an issue.

I don't think anyone is saying Starlink isn't, fine, right now, the issue is each Starlink satellite has enough bandwidth uplink 20 Gbps-ish with much lower downlink capacity that I can't find a solid figure on. To compare to say AT&T, they provision 10gb/10gb to 64 houses or less. On top of that, ground based ISP use edge servers and by edge server, I don't mean a localized server in a regional data center, they locate their servers on the ISP level. Netflix has talked extensively about this but I'm sure other CDNs have something similar, so traffic never even has to leave the ISP if you are like watching a 4K Netflix movie, Starlink can't stick a Netflix server on a satellite.

Starlink CAN NOT SCALE, they don't own the spectrum to do it. They hand wave that they are going to solve this with more intelligent space routing using lasers, which is loving hard and still severely constrained because the hardware needs to be space certified, you can't just stick a Cisco router on a Starlink.

It's all bullshit, it is all a waste of money, it theoretically works in extremely rural areas, but if you can't pursue basically anything in any area with any density, you have just wasted billions of dollars on satellites that constantly have to be replaced and go unused almost all of the time because no one is going to subscribe in an area with any density because the service will be poo poo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

holtemon posted:

This explains why you're thinking so much about the Roman empire.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Saw a loving line of bright lights in the sky

Thought it was drones at first but no. Light pollution satellites. Quite disconcerting actually

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

kazil posted:

I can't even fathom the delusions of grandeur required to think you have useful advice to give to a military actively fighting a war when your sum total of military experience is

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I would have passed a speech check with Russia

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

maybeadracula posted:

Saw a loving line of bright lights in the sky

Thought it was drones at first but no. Light pollution satellites. Quite disconcerting actually

Tell it to earth

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starlink?

More like Starganon

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

kazil posted:

musk channeling the same energy as the aristocrats who showed up at the first battle of the American Civil War to have a picnic and spectate the war as if it was a baseball game

almost literally unbelievable to think someone who has access to all the information in the world, that they can provide useful commentary on a war. almost unbelievable. then i remember he is just as out of touch as the aristocrats from 200 years ago for the EXACT same reason, they have so much money they can't relate to actual humans anymore.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 14, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

Tell it to earth

The earth can suck my dick

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

!!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Failing upwards is a very real thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's how our system of """"meritocracy"""" works.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Ukraine should try to bait Russia into attacking into their siege line then warp jump battlecruisers to strafe their production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, the guy I used to work with who was on his 2nd mail order bride and wore his CPAP at work to take naps in empty offices also liked Musk.

Takes all kinds. Or just one kind consistently.