Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hopefully it allows the mistaken judgement in the apple case to be corrected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaggar posted:

What was the mistake? Apple doesn't have to pay cash bribes to anyone else to stop them from releasing iOS applications outside of the app store.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmbo

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

What was the mistake? Apple doesn't have to pay cash bribes to anyone else to stop them from releasing iOS applications outside of the app store.

right because their platform is closed so theres no technical way for anyone to threaten their monopoly, but its still a monopoly. android 3rd party app stores are technically possible but goog prevented them through payments. either way the important decision here is that goog can have a monopoly on its own platform which the judge in the apple case (incorrectly) ruled was not relevant (despite it being the only relevant thing in the entire case)

if google can have a monopoly on android stores, then apple unequivocally has a monopoly on ios app stores. it doesnt matter by which mechanism they enforce their monopolies.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
would not want to be one of the lawyers who had to report that one to Google.

“soooo…we heard back from the jury…”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the chad apple captains of industry vs the virgin google attempted monopolists

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

apple unequivocally has a monopoly on ios app stores. it doesnt matter by which mechanism they enforce their monopolies.
not really, for ios 15.4.1 and below you can install dopamine for a15 and lower cpus and then do an unthered jailbreak through sideloading the gta car tracker app and get the trollstore working

also remember to save all of the the shsh blobs so you can do mitm replay attack when you want to reinstall older version of ios even if you are not upgrading yet

and then you can install anything you want on ios and not even using their ios app store

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I hope you’re being ironic because that’s absolutely not something a non technical user has any clue about or how to do. apple has an unequivocal monopoly because the only people who can get around their walled garden lock in are people who would be considered highly technical users who are using exploits to install third party app stores and apps.

the vast majority of users don’t know anything about any of that. this extends to android too, but at least a non technical user can just download and install the amazon app store or some other alternative without resorting to hitting exploits

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

coke posted:

not really, for ios 15.4.1 and below you can install dopamine for a15 and lower cpus and then do an unthered jailbreak through sideloading the gta car tracker app and get the trollstore working

also remember to save all of the the shsh blobs so you can do mitm replay attack when you want to reinstall older version of ios even if you are not upgrading yet

and then you can install anything you want on ios and not even using their ios app store
Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

coke posted:

user post combo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
let me just downgrade and sideload a some poo poo on my phone thats a 2fa token for all my bank accounts
unless you are a literal child just by a second device to run your unsigned code

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but this is the android thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i honestly don't even know what we're arguing at this point.

realistically epic winning against google is the funnier outcome with no real downsides, so that's good. personally i think apple losing some battles here would also be funnier than it is bad, so fingers crossed, though i can see the argument that that'll create a bit more of a mess for regular people. not *that* much of a mess though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i honestly don't even know what we're arguing at this point.

realistically epic winning against google is the funnier outcome with no real downsides, so that's good. personally i think apple losing some battles here would also be funnier than it is bad, so fingers crossed, though i can see the argument that that'll create a bit more of a mess for regular people. not *that* much of a mess though.

Realistically this is going to force Google's cut down in the future, no matter what the specific remedy is.That's a good thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suspect it means that soon if you want to download fortnite you're going to have to go to the Play store to download the Epic store and then use the Epic store to download the game, and it will be a shittier user experience all around, but if you play fortnite I think you probably deserve it so nbd

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Oh yeah it's probably going to get really stupid for a few years, but you're insane if you don't think that this is a positive anti-monopoly action for consumers in the long run.

edit: well, we haven't had any action yet and this is going to get appealed. i'm counting chickens way early here

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
as a consumer, i am so glad to be free of the tyrannical netflix monopoly and i can now choose from twelve different subscription streaming services, each of which has a monopoly on each of the shows that i want to watch.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

as a consumer, i am so glad to be free of the tyrannical netflix monopoly and i can now choose from twelve different subscription streaming services, each of which has a monopoly on each of the shows that i want to watch.

are you imagining your media watching life would be all milk and honey if only we were in year 16 of netflix being the only game in town?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

are you imagining your media watching life would be all milk and honey if only we were in year 16 of netflix being the only game in town?

id rather it all be consolidated onto YouTube

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

If Netflix still had their monopoly it'd cost $100/mo now

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah like where am i supposed to watch nash bridges in 2023?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

yeah like where am i supposed to watch nash bridges in 2023?

amazons got u w prime video bb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

If Netflix still had their monopoly it'd cost $100/mo now

As opposed to paying for six $15 services to see what used to all be on Netflix?

At least it'd be consolidated

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the nice thing about on-demand services is that you can subscribe for a month, watch the latest seasons of the three shows you care about, and then immediately cancel

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

the nice thing about on-demand services is that you can subscribe for a month, watch the latest seasons of the three shows you care about, and then immediately cancel

debilitating cognitive load

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't argue too much with the take "if only netflix had a complete monopoly i wouldn't have to think very much about what i subscribed to", but the companion take "and they would extract overall less money out of me and/or the average person" is some high comedy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if netflix was the only game in town they'd have balkanized into multiple subscriptions the same way cable companies offer you multiple packages depending on what you want to watch

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mediaphage posted:

debilitating cognitive load

beats calling the cable company

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

offer you multiple packages depending on what you want to watch

dick pics are free bro

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

checking why Steam is losing connection and lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Steam has gone down for maintenance nearly every Tuesday afternoon for the past 20 years.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the whole stupid rear end youtube videos poo poo is such trash. so confusing. like i understand the drive to put rental vods directly on youtube (ive rented one once due to this) but liek.. lol. google videos or w/e it was called. i dont remember. but it was good. really good. best in class even. rip

Smythe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 13, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

coke posted:

thats true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

the whole stupid rear end youtube videos poo poo is such trash. so confusing. like i understand the drive to put rental vods directly on youtube (ive rented one once due to this) but liek.. lol. google videos or w/e it was called. i dont remember. but it was good. really good. best in class even. rip

google is at least on par with microsoft for incomprehensible, wildly incoherent branding

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

google is at least on par with microsoft for incomprehensible, wildly incoherent branding

except for their app icons, which are coherent to the point of being indistinguishable.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
four color abstract art

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

coke posted:

also remember to save all of the the shsh blobs so you can do mitm replay attack when you want to reinstall older version of ios even if you are not upgrading

???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

goblin week posted:

???????????

someone is doing the stuff you have to do to get android phones usable, but on iphone for some reason.