Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My RSA in typing (on a Remington manual) actually turned out to be useful, which was nice. :)

edit: page 47 :widowsnypa:

Agent 47 is the protagonist of the Hitman series of games.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Sunak wants to extend No Nut November to the full year.

edit: I have a firefox extension that automatically declines all optional cookies.
I would simply have a Firefox extension that declines all of my nuts

TACD fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 15, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

My RSA in typing (on a Remington manual) actually turned out to be useful, which was nice. :)

edit: page 47 :widowsnypa:

Agent 47 is the protagonist of the Hitman series of games.

Oh yes, in terms of earning dosh and having the flexibility to walk out on jobs I hated back in my 20s/30s (1980s/90s) paying a woman in Finchley £100 to sit in her back room with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing was one of the best things I ever did*. At my peak, my touch typing speed was well over 90 wpm - never quite hit the 100 wpm mark, and I was a demon audio typist. Makes me laugh I was earning more per hour then doing that than I am now doing finance (albeit I was working in central London back then)..
*It was the £100 that forced me to stop cheating by looking at the keys.

I don't think that temping market exists much anymore.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 15, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they can still get their grant if they can phrase it in a similarly bollocks way, like "the bubonic plague disproportionately affected BAME Londoners, but later Boris Johnson became mayor of London and now people only sometimes get 14th century diseases"

was it twisto (rip) who did those amusing deep dives into old school obituary listings?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe he did mention about it at least once yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh yes, in terms of earning dosh and having the flexibility to walk out on jobs I hated back in my 20s/30s (1980s/90s) paying a woman in Finchley £100 to sit in her back room with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing was one of the best things I ever did*. At my peak, my touch typing speed was well over 90 wpm - never quite hit the 100 wpm mark, and I was a demon audio typist. Makes me laugh I was earning more per hour then doing that than I am now doing finance (albeit I was working in central London back then)..
*It was the £100 that forced me to stop cheating by looking at the keys.

I actually tried to apply for a job doing transcriptions and I think it's just gig economy poo poo now.

Probably doesn't help that I'm stuck at 60wpm because I only use 3/4 fingers and can't be arsed unlearning it so I can learn to do it properly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I actually tried to apply for a job doing transcriptions and I think it's just gig economy poo poo now.
Not even that any more. YouTube autocaptions and live TV news have driven the confidence interval over the point that nost users now just accept the odd missed word and don't need to bother with accurate captioning (which is just great for deaf people).

Even the places that do still pay now recommend you let speech-to-text do the bulk of the work and just have a brief listen and correct, which of course means they get to (a) pay far, far less and (b) use the corrections to further refine their AI models so they don't need to pay people at all.

Another job AI has 'innovated' people out of.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Didn't they already split A levels into GCE AS levels in 2000? I was the last year doing the old A levels where we did 3 subjects. Everyone after was losing their poo poo as they had 4 to 6 subjects and basically had no free periods to doss about in the 6th form common room passive aggressively taking over the cd player.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I arrived in London in 2003 I did Office Angels' test on their modified Office 95 suite to prove I could use Word etc and they were apparently super impressed by any level of self-respecting-gamer typing speed, like 60 maybe?

Ended up doing the live-in-pub circuit instead, now that was a weird buyers marker where you could walk away from any place you didn't like the look of ('room too small', 'this part of London looks cursed') etc and try another one the next day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I used to hate those automated office tests, because I would try to use a keyboard shortcut or a different way of doing it and it'd mark me down for it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My dad used to work in the civil service (Inland Revenue inspector) in the 80s. I remember when I was a kid he went from using a Dictaphone and sending it down to the typing pool to having to type his own poo poo. We got the Dictaphone to play with once that happened, so that was nice, and a manual typewriter that for all I know was office surplus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

My dad used to work in the civil service (Inland Revenue inspector) in the 80s. I remember when I was a kid he went from using a Dictaphone and sending it down to the typing pool to having to type his own poo poo. We got the Dictaphone to play with once that happened, so that was nice, and a manual typewriter that for all I know was office surplus.

My fellow temp and I when working in the building department of an NHS Works Dept in the 80s before it went posh & became "Estates & Facilities" used to have fun twiddling the knobs on the transcription machine making the Chief Engineer sound like the Works Director and other 'little things please little minds' escapades.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Didn't they already split A levels into GCE AS levels in 2000? I was the last year doing the old A levels where we did 3 subjects. Everyone after was losing their poo poo as they had 4 to 6 subjects and basically had no free periods to doss about in the 6th form common room passive aggressively taking over the cd player.

When I was at school, considerably large number of moons ago - they had A levels and S levels (I know I took one - Physics - and didn't pass it, the girl who did had a physicist father. My dad couldn't do a quadratic equation to save his life). S levels were higher than A levels.
We were only allowed to do 3 A levels but as one of my was further maths, it meant essentially I had loads of 'frees' because to do further maths, it was basically assumed by the end of Term 1 of sixth form you'd covered the A level maths (non-further) syllabus so turn up for the lessons which were quite dossy if you were doing further, & do homework while relaxing in front of the tv.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I used to hate those automated office tests, because I would try to use a keyboard shortcut or a different way of doing it and it'd mark me down for it.

Me: right-clicks on cell, selects the relevant option.

Office Test: "Incorrect. You are supposed to select the action from the drop down menu in the ribbon."

Aaargh, what difference does it make!?!?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

S levels were higher than A levels.

A system familiar to all fans of Sonic the Hedgehog

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Why was he using a Dictaphone? He had ten perfectly serviceable fingers, didn't he?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Is that where the videogame tier list ranking system comes from?

It's not but I'm now going to insist that it is. S tier derives from English schooling grades. *bangs gavel*

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The spiders are planning something

typical western racism, trying to stir up trouble between 2 indigenous groups living in harmony.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sebzilla posted:

And most other Japanese games.

(In Resident Evil 2, this was a big thing for the ranking systems. Where the Japanese versions ranked from S then A, B, C and so on.
But the English language versions capped at A and went down. So there was confusion over what the requirements were to get an A rank actually was.

The worst one for me was the PAL version of Resident Evil: Code Veronica, where it ended up being impossible to get A ranks in the games Battle Mode on the PAL Dreamcast version*. I only found that one out years after the fact.

* = The reason why is the NSTC version of the game had specific tines you had to complete the Battle Mode in to get the highest rank. (Which was S rank in the Japanese version of the game, and A rank in the English version of the game.)
But the times required to get said rank were based on the game running at 60 hZ which the NSTC versions did. But the PAL versions ran at 50 hZ. (As for what this means to younger gamers, go look it up. It's fun. )

Only the development team for the PAL version never adjusted the times required to get the max rankings in Battle Mode. So it ended up being impossible to achiever the best rank.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Microplastics posted:

Is that where the videogame tier list ranking system comes from?

It's not but I'm now going to insist that it is. S tier derives from English schooling grades. *bangs gavel*

Well, it derives from Japanese schooling grades, and Japan's basically Britain but with cleaner streets. They're an island, they love tea, have a monarch, like to pretend their empire wasn't monstrously evil, are ostensibly a democracy but it's the same corrupt shitheads with indistinguishable ideologies every time, there's a shitload of nonces, etc. etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Love Gojira, 'ate nuclear power, simple as.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Reveilled posted:

Well, it derives from Japanese schooling grades, and Japan's basically Britain but with cleaner streets. They're an island, they love tea, have a monarch, like to pretend their empire wasn't monstrously evil, are ostensibly a democracy but it's the same corrupt shitheads with indistinguishable ideologies every time, there's a shitload of nonces, etc. etc.

If only we had a train network to match theirs, eh?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

josh04 posted:

Love Gojira, 'ate nuclear power, simple as.

Don't like it, ごめんなさい

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was at school, considerably large number of moons ago - they had A levels and S levels (I know I took one - Physics - and didn't pass it, the girl who did had a physicist father. My dad couldn't do a quadratic equation to save his life). S levels were higher than A levels.

This was still true up until the late 90s, although they were pretty rare (I think I was the only person in my year at my school who took one. Got a distinction tho :smug:)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Me: right-clicks on cell, selects the relevant option.

Office Test: "Incorrect. You are supposed to select the action from the drop down menu in the ribbon."
I think the worst one was typing =SUM(A2:A12) and then being told off because I was supposed to use the equation finder to find SUM, and then getting extra told off because I was supposed to Ctrl click the cell instead of just typing the coordinates.

European Computer Driving License was crazy stupid. Did you know this part of the computer is called the hard drive?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So is this the floppy drive?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

lol I think I got bonus points in the Excel section for finding some function No Real Human Will Ever Use just because the menus blocked out everything not leading to it

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My Office test grievance was being marked down for using '-ize', because Microsoft's spell checker thinks it knows British spelling better than the OED :comeback:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny that never became a culture war issue like incandescent lightbulbs and imperial measures and everything else that came out of the woodwork during brexit.

Reject the deceptive French suffixes and standardize!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just look at the sheer number of cops that turned up for some carol singing at Keith’s house.

https://twitter.com/juststop_oil/status/1735429653131620383?s=46

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Just look at the sheer number of cops that turned up for some carol singing at Keith’s house.

https://twitter.com/juststop_oil/status/1735429653131620383?s=46

Looking forward to the carolers coming back at the end of March

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other news (literally.)

Prince Harry awarded £140,600 in phone hacking claim against Mirror Group

While the £140 K in damages doesn't sound too bad, the legal costs will probably be a number of degrees higher.
And that's not counting the other parties involved. Or the future celebs likely to take actions based off this.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

For some reason this makes me deeply uncomfortable even though I have never bought Tescos or anyone else's stuffing before. Like, how many moths were involved here for there to be a recall? How did moths get in to the process at all?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh dear me posted:

My Office test grievance was being marked down for using '-ize', because Microsoft's spell checker thinks it knows British spelling better than the OED :comeback:

I'm not seeing the problem here. "-ize" is the US spelling. "-ise" is correct in English.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is bait to draw out Oxonians.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tedsville posted:

For some reason this makes me deeply uncomfortable even though I have never bought Tescos or anyone else's stuffing before. Like, how many moths were involved here for there to be a recall? How did moths get in to the process at all?

https://www.ecoandbeyond.co/articles/insects-in-food/

quote:

As much as 10% of food in the US may be adulterated. That is, certain foods may contain insects that are not part of the official ingredient list.

Here in the UK, things are much stricter. A spokesperson for the Food Standards Agency is quoted in the Telegraph as saying, “In EU Food Law there are no allowable limits of foreign bodies in food and there is no published list of ‘tolerance’ levels of foreign bodies / matter in food. The expectation of food is that it is not contaminated.”

I think one of the issues with US food is the number of things that are permitted is somewhat higher than in the UK / EU.

As the article points out, insects have been an important food source for centuries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Funny that the burgerpeople are the ones getting worked about their bug-eating future, when it's already here for them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

I'm not seeing the problem here. "-ize" is the US spelling. "-ise" is correct in English.

Oxford spelling (also Oxford English Dictionary spelling, Oxford style, or Oxford English spelling) is a spelling standard, named after its use by the University of Oxford, that prescribes the use of British spelling in combination with the suffix -ize in words like realize and organization instead of -ise endings.

The belief that ‑ize is an exclusively North American variant is incorrect. The Oxford spelling affects about 200 verbs, and is favoured on etymological grounds, in that ‑ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, ‑izo, of most ‑ize verbs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You should just say -izo then, that would be even more correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Funny that the burgerpeople are the ones getting worked about their bug-eating future, when it's already here for them.

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.