Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SpartanIvy posted:

Fern sowing etiquette lessons: Haha gently caress yeah! Yes!

Fern reaping etiquette lessons: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

If I was a worse person, I'd steal this joke.
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The junk collector posted:

Fern getting slapped when going for the donut was the highlight of this one. The dance was just the animators showing off.

I definitely cracked up a bit on that part.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
for me it was a tie between that and sein asking for a dance and frieren saying shes too busy eating cake

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

for me it was a tie between that and sein asking for a dance and frieren saying shes too busy eating cake

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 32 hours!)

yay for mimic screentime, even if a flashback

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GateOfD posted:

yay for mimic screentime, even if a flashback

It was quite bold of Fern to assume a Rogue would be able to keep Frieren from being eaten by a mimic.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Really neat episode.

Episode 15

Was cool to see Sein do some priest stuff. Like how structurally, you can see that that regular magic is different from the holy spells he uses. And I do like how the medium he uses is the book instead of a staff. And he can actually roll and dodge pretty well.

Frieren has lived a while and fought a lot of monsters, so she should have a general knowledge of monsters, so it makes sense.

Second half also good. Love the Stark focused portions. Donuts! lol. Need a gif of the donut slap. I think Frieren mentioned Fern has been gaining weight. All these donuts probably added a few pounds.

Great dance scene. Poor Sein got rejected.

Wonder what book Feiren picked.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Julias posted:

some lineart of the dance sequence byh the key animator in this ep
https://x.com/nscdund/status/1735677525949292734?s=20

Its the little details they did not have to do like the hair falling at the end that really elevate this show

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

Really neat episode.

Episode 15

Second half also good. Love the Stark focused portions. Donuts! lol. Need a gif of the donut slap. I think Frieren mentioned Fern has been gaining weight. All these donuts probably added a few pounds.

Great dance scene. Poor Sein got rejected.

Wonder what book Feiren picked.

The scene of Fern getting her hand slapped while she tried to reach for a donut being immediately followed with the scene of the maid struggling to get Fern in a corset was a good way of showing that Fern totally gained weight due to unlimited access to snacks. She was double fisting the donuts after all, and lamented in a previous episode how they never got to eat sweets because of money.

Taking advantage of a situation works outside of the battlefield, too.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Boogalo posted:

Its the little details they did not have to do like the hair falling at the end that really elevate this show

Is... is this what happens when the animators aren't under crunch? Who knew?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren keeping the "eat sweets without gaining weight" spell to herself, or just figuring Fern doesn't care that much

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Donuts! lol. Need a gif of the donut slap.

(this is way too big but I'm rusty at gif-making)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 16, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GateOfD posted:

Frieren keeping the "eat sweets without gaining weight" spell to herself, or just figuring Fern doesn't care that much

All fantasy elves are always thin. She's just got that elf metabolism working in her favor. Legolas takes 20 ales to feel even remotely drunk and Frieren would need to eat 100's of those little cakes to gain weight.

I think Frieren must've drawn on her past experience with things happening to eat up loads of time on her last big adventure when she came up with that 10 year estimate for this current adventure as well. If they were just walking at a solid pace then even with some pretty big delays the continent of her world would need to be massive to make it take 10 years to travel it (Like, western coast of mainland Europe to eastern coast of Russia massive). But I guess "lose almost a year to a nasty winter" and "eat cakes while my warrior pretends to be a dead noble for 3 months" was within her calculations.

She''s also only traveling up about half the continent though, so it seems like a fatty of a continent when you think about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

NowonSA posted:

"eat cakes while my warrior pretends to be a dead noble for 3 months" was within her calculations.

That's actually standard procedure on that trip. Last time Eisen had to learn flamenco.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TwoPair posted:

(this is way too big but I'm rusty at gif-making)

It's the sad face she makes at the end that sells it for me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the way her eyes checks the maid and still goes for it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spookydonut posted:

No. The best part was Gabel begging for Frieren to make up her goddamn mind.

Oh god....I want to call temporary dibs. Is it time to retire Aiko?

Edit: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 17, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's actually standard procedure on that trip. Last time Eisen had to learn flamenco.

Heiter made them stop at every craft brewery so he could try every single one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TwoPair posted:

Heiter made them stop at every craft brewery so he could try every single one.

I feel like Heiter took a lot of heat for things that all three of the men in the party secretly wanted to do.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Heiter took a lot of heat for things that all three of the men in the party secretly wanted to do.

I think if we checked the record we'd find teeny tiny Frieren double fisting steins of mead just like her idiot friends when the chance arose.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

I think if we checked the record we'd find teeny tiny Frieren double fisting steins of mead just like her idiot friends when the chance arose.

Of course. Why do you think she can never wake up in the morning?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dublish posted:

Of course. Why do you think she can never wake up in the morning?

Because how would you wake, if elves don't actually sleep?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Teenagers need lots of sleep, it's important for their mental development.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I do kind of wonder whether Frieren is in fact a teenager, given that we know from looking at Kraft that elves aren't all that short.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe female elves are all short?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like Frierens current soul searching journey is just something all elves go thru if they go out into the world.
Kraft certainly seemed like ha, I remember when I was so young. With the way she’s acting and some of his comments about her

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kraft is actually the only elf in the entire world that cared about gains, that's why he is so tall.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Kraft is actually the only elf in the entire world that cared about gains, that's why he is so tall.

And he's the only one who eats his veggies, unlike Frieren

vvv: ah, true

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 18, 2023

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I think you'll find that Frieren eats both her and heiter's veggies

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nebrilos posted:

Don't you think it's kind of fascist that demons are a race of sapient humanoids that are portrayed as just always evil?

For those in the back who haven't realized it yet, you're supposed to feel uncomfortable at the realistic but highly exaggerated depiction of extreme sociopathy. And to think about the the implications. Demons are physiologically incapable of emotional empathy. Are they actually evil or just victims of their own natures? Frieren is a great highlight because she also struggles with emotional empathy.

It also highlights how realistically powerful and intelligent the Demon King was to not only get other demons in line under his authority, but inspire actual loyalty.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I do kind of wonder whether Frieren is in fact a teenager, given that we know from looking at Kraft that elves aren't all that short.

Was it so strongly implied that Kraft is way older than her? She could still just be five-nothing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren says he talks as if he saw the Goddess in person, who hasn't been seen since the age of legends.
Remarks how no one alive remembers or knows about any of his heroic deeds or feats. Doesn't care that Frieren was in the party that killed some random demon king.

Its like Frieren is the PS5
And Kraft was walking around the NES days to me.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Frieren says he talks as if he saw the Goddess in person, who hasn't been seen since the age of legends.
Remarks how no one alive remembers or knows about any of his heroic deeds or feats. Doesn't care that Frieren was in the party that killed some random demon king.

I was thinking the latter was just while Frieren was in her Stardew arc but I suppose the former I sorta missed.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It's never spelled out but it's implied that Frieren is 2 or 3 thousand years old tops. Kraft is fuckin oooooooolllllllldddddd but we don't know how much.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The way frieren's demeanor is presented and the anime's choice of voice actor for her suggests that we're supposed to see her as an adult, albeit kind of a disaster adult. I think that's just how she looks

That said, kraft is still way older than her. Frierens apparent age changed only slightly over an entire millennium so for kraft to actually look like he's in his forties he's gotta be old.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Frieren TLDR:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GateOfD posted:

I suspect the goddess will end up being an elf who just got so old and powerful people attributed divinity to her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sharkmafia posted:

The way frieren's demeanor is presented and the anime's choice of voice actor for her suggests that we're supposed to see her as an adult, albeit kind of a disaster adult. I think that's just how she looks

That said, kraft is still way older than her. Frierens apparent age changed only slightly over an entire millennium so for kraft to actually look like he's in his forties he's gotta be old.

Aren’t they just supposed to be Tolkien inspired elves that are immortal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I don't think its explicitly been said whether they're actually immortal or just have really, really long lives. I was assuming the latter, they dont seem as explicitly mystical or 'closer to god' as they are in tolkien.

Kraft seemed sure that he was going to die someday but that could just mean he's sure he's eventually going to fall off a ladder or something