Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'm noticing a lot more on the games I emulate are just how awkward some of the older control schemes are, especially compared to now. Freaky Flyers has accelerate on R1, Fear Effect 2 uses square and circle to cycle through an inventory, then triangle to use, you have to hold 3 shoulder buttons to fire from cover in 007 Everything or Nothing, Timesplitters 3 just feels weird to control compared to modern shooters.

Love me some classic games, but I will admit the somewhat standardization of control scheme (You can probably guess the controls of a Souls-like or an Arkham-like or an FPS without going through a tutorial) in modern gaming is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Vlaphor posted:

One thing I'm noticing a lot more on the games I emulate are just how awkward some of the older control schemes are, especially compared to now. Freaky Flyers has accelerate on R1, Fear Effect 2 uses square and circle to cycle through an inventory, then triangle to use, you have to hold 3 shoulder buttons to fire from cover in 007 Everything or Nothing, Timesplitters 3 just feels weird to control compared to modern shooters.

Love me some classic games, but I will admit the somewhat standardization of control scheme (You can probably guess the controls of a Souls-like or an Arkham-like or an FPS without going through a tutorial) in modern gaming is nice.

Oh yeah the early days of 3d movement were some bullshit. One of my first exposures was Turok Dinosaur Hunter and lemme tell you the controls on that one were an acquired taste.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Oh yeah the early days of 3d movement were some bullshit. One of my first exposures was Turok Dinosaur Hunter and lemme tell you the controls on that one were an acquired taste.

This is N64 controller slander and I won’t stand for it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No 3D platformers were good until at least sometime in the PS2 era. Yes, that includes Mario 64. I didn't even like that game when it was new and cool. :colbert:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I unironically loved the N64 controller. Early 3d games are still hard to replay for me.

But that's still a crazy Mario 64 take.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Commander Keene posted:

No 3D platformers were good until at least sometime in the PS2 era. Yes, that includes Mario 64. I didn't even like that game when it was new and cool. :colbert:

stupid bad post

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

The days of playing FPS games with move on the analog stick and face buttons to look around. Turok was a decent FPS for the time, and you can really feel that on the Nightdive remaster. Not legendary or anything, but good enough that you could enjoy it with the N64 controller...

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would wager an abnormal amount of posters in this thread are fellow Cybiko owners.

Cybiko to Steam Deck is a direct pipeline.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Commander Keene posted:

hell, I'd stop at "no 3D platformers are good"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re telling on yourself for not playing super Mario odyssey

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Counterpoint: Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Counterpoint: Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine

Both of those are bad.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
The best 3D platformers are 3D land on the 3ds and Jak and Daxter

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Decky is slowly becoming my most played game.

Just sitting here tinkering with poo poo, making it pretty. Those who post in the third party retro consoles thread get it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rolo posted:

Just sitting here tinkering with poo poo, making it pretty. Those who post in the third party retro consoles thread get it.

Let's see it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vlaphor posted:

Timesplitters 3 just feels weird to control compared to modern shooters.

I recently played this and I thought it was fine, as it was one of the few earlier games that adopted the Halo-standard where left stick was your legs, right stick was your head.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I played Odyssey this year, after literal decades of avoiding 3D Mario games due to how bad 64 was and I enjoyed it. :shrug:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I recommend Tinykin.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I am annoyed about the read only filesystem of Linux of the Steam Deck. I get why it's the way it is, but annoying for my specific use case. I want to be able to remote into it from my Windows desktop, but I have to open Konsole and unmerge systemd-sysext and disable steamos-readonly every single time I boot into desktop mode just to be able to start my remote software (NoMachine). I am not familiar enough with Linux to be able to figure out a solution for this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You’re telling on yourself for not playing super Mario odyssey

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
What are you trying to do with desktop remoting? I’ve really only had to ssh in and transfer files over win scp

I’ve never had the OS reset itself back to read only mode after disabling it, except after a major system update
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C

I haven’t tried but it seems using the deck as a standard Linux desktop outside of running chrome is something the Steamdeck OS ‘fights against’ - I should boot an actual desktop linux system from external storage

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 17, 2023

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

What are you trying to do with desktop remoting? I’ve really only had to ssh in and transfer files over win scp

I have been setting up emudeck and using skraper to get metadata/pictures/videos for it to look just how I want. I've also been working on installing various ports of stuff that I need to be in desktop mode for, such as the recently DMCA'ed Link's Awakening port, and Ship of Harkinian. Also been installing mods/tools for various games such as Convergence for Elden Ring, Hephaistos mod for Hades, gdstash for Grim Dawn, BoilR to easily add Heroic launcher stuff to Steam.

Coffee Jones posted:

I’ve never had the OS reset itself back to read only mode after disabling it, except after a major system update
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/671A-4453-E8D2-323C

It isn't SteamOS itself that's keeping it on read only mode. It's tailscale using systemd system extensions, which I have set up so that I can use moonlight/sunshine remotely while I'm at work.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 17, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't have an answer for the read-only filesystem issue, but as far as remote access/control, I've found TeamViewer to be way more useful than SSH/FileZilla.

It can transfer files just like FZ, but also has the full UI.

I use it for just the stuff you said you need - installing mods, interacting with EmuDeck, etc.

It doesn't require any special permissions.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anydesk is still my favourite for both, up until the point you trip it's arbitrary corporate use trigger

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Anydesk was great, up until I dared have the temerity to install it on my laptop too and it suddenly became literally unusable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ihatepants posted:

It isn't SteamOS itself that's keeping it on read only mode. It's tailscale using systemd system extensions, which I have set up so that I can use moonlight/sunshine remotely while I'm at work.

You can use the nix approach to Tailscale now that 3.5 added /nix to the base image. Then you don’t need the systemd extension, though it’s not clear to me how having an extension keeps anything read only.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a tutorial out there for configuring retroarch in emudeck? I’m trying to tweak things like shaders and filters and saving state on closing and I keep seeming to run into issues with configurations not being save-able.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

Is anyone else playing My Time at Sandrock on their Deck? My wife and I are having a fine time on her LCD and my OLED, but someone in the Steam thread says their experience sucks, with multi-minute loading issues. Trying to figure out what’s up—Valve says “unsupported” by our experience has been Playable at the least.

its playable but wasn't pleasant. I got green circled all the time having to wait for minor assets or menus to be loaded almost as if installed on SD card, but it wasn't. Mostly when entering new areas or in cutscenes.

That however had nothing to do with the valve labeling, it ran like that on 1.0 launch when it received "playable" from Valve and then for some reason lost that status after a few patches but nothing changed in deck compatibility.

not yet launched it on the oled again maybe install was hosed for one reason or another.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a tutorial out there for configuring retroarch in emudeck? I’m trying to tweak things like shaders and filters and saving state on closing and I keep seeming to run into issues with configurations not being save-able.

I think you might have to do Main Menu > Configuration File > Save Current Configuration after making any changes.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

You can use the nix approach to Tailscale now that 3.5 added /nix to the base image. Then you don’t need the systemd extension, though it’s not clear to me how having an extension keeps anything read only.

Thank you! I think this will work great

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Using nix is neat. Thanks for the pointer.

An alternative I've seen folks use on the Deck, but not yet tried, is to use Homebrew (as on MacOS). One advantage is it allows for a purely local install tree where you can keep everything under your home directory where it's proof against future updates by Valve. But you'll need a full compiler toolchain, of course.

I went back to using git submodules for some of my zsh customization packages just to avoid installing packages outside of my $HOME when I switched to this larger SSD. Using ~/.local/bin for stuff I need that's not better as a flatpak.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 17, 2023

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Anydesk is still my favourite for both, up until the point you trip it's arbitrary corporate use trigger

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Anydesk was great, up until I dared have the temerity to install it on my laptop too and it suddenly became literally unusable.

Check out rustdesk. It's a slightly less terrible OSS version of Anydesk. There's an Appimage and a windows exe for it here: https://github.com/rustdesk/rustdesk/releases/tag/1.2.3

Ignore anything about running a "server". 2 machines with clients can connect to each other just like you're used to with Anydesk if they're on the same network.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Commander Keene posted:

I played Odyssey this year, after literal decades of avoiding 3D Mario games due to how bad 64 was and I enjoyed it. :shrug:

This was me when I finally sat down and tried Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii. I gave 64 and Sunshine another shot when the Switch collection came out, and I'm convinced I'll never understand their appeal. (That's okay of course, people who enjoy them should continue enjoying them)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been using my steam deck to play Pokemon Rocket Fire Red. It is what it sounds like — you’re a member of team rocket and you get to catch mons off trainers. The writing’s not perfect but it’s by some distance the least cringey Pokemon ROMhack I’ve played so far. And they’ve done a good job making it a decent challenge. I can’t believe this poo poo is free.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I’ve been using my steam deck to play Pokemon Rocket Fire Red. It is what it sounds like — you’re a member of team rocket and you get to catch mons off trainers. The writing’s not perfect but it’s by some distance the least cringey Pokemon ROMhack I’ve played so far. And they’ve done a good job making it a decent challenge. I can’t believe this poo poo is free.

Technically you paid $500 for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, Citra (3ds emulator) really struggles on the Deck. The hitching is really awful as it renders the shaders on the fly. Dolphin (Wii/N64) runs much better despite running comparatively challenging games. Even Cemu (WiiU) and Yuzu (Switch) run with less hitching, even if they get lower average frame rates.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

the tinkering is the hobby

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, Citra (3ds emulator) really struggles on the Deck. The hitching is really awful as it renders the shaders on the fly. Dolphin (Wii/N64) runs much better despite running comparatively challenging games. Even Cemu (WiiU) and Yuzu (Switch) run with less hitching, even if they get lower average frame rates.

IIRC, you can and should download pre-compiled shader packs if you can find them for your game. It's been a while but I think Citra was one of the emus that supported and encouraged that.

Also be sure you've turned off the faked-3D glasses rendering that was available on the 3DS, it really frees up the emulator. EmuDeck does that by default though. Likewise for turning games down from 60fps to 30fps for the few games that did 60 (MH4U for eg).

A bunch of stuff on those carts are handled by hardware chips that are expensive to emulate, so you have to give up a bunch more for good emulation for what seem like simple games to run.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a 3ds, they’re Real Good™️ and you can never have too many portable consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nitrousoxide posted:

Citra doesn't work that well anywhere, in my opinion. Try getting Star Fox to work even on a top-end gaming PC.