Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Fred Ward has been dead for like a year but I can't believe they passed on this.

oh yeah by "new" I meant 2018. New as in not the old Tremors show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Opopanax posted:

Is Poor Things really weird? The Favourite was good but I want Sacred Deer/Lobster Lanthramos. I want weird

If someone remade Vera Chylitova’s Daisies but they had a budget and nicer cameras. It’s weird with flair.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm drinking and watching The Gingerdead Man, and this kicks so much rear end

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm drinking and watching The Gingerdead Man, and this kicks so much rear end

The best part about that movie is the runtime….they knew the joke could wear thin so they knocked it out in like 50 minutes

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

If someone remade Vera Chylitova’s Daisies but they had a budget and nicer cameras. It’s weird with flair.

This is a good pitch for Daisies, which is buried somewhere in the morass of my to-watch list.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Leatherhead posted:

Has anyone ever watched Lars von Trier's Kingdom? A friend of mine has been bugging me to try it, comparing it to Twin Peaks, swearing that I'll love it, and while I do really like his films, I'm a little leery of three whole seasons of von Trier.

https://youtu.be/xBcJZ3-cJKc?si=Xoq_M7ujbpUIjVFB

Do you want to know more?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's very Danish.

Whether that's a bad or good thing is your choice.

Opopanax posted:

Stephen King had a remake called Kingdom Hospital which is a bit of a mixed bag but pretty good, if you find it too Danish

Well I'm mostly Danish on my mother's side, so maybe I owe it to my proud ancestors?

Ok yeah this feels very much like my poo poo. Sorry to doubt you, Lars.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thank you thread for recommending The Passenger - a very well made film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Abba's 'Waterloo' but it's about The Babadook

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

Just got this

Needs a "Gingerbread telephone pole on the side of the road" companion set.

Kit comes with one of the snipped-off doll heads that little girl replaces with dead bird heads in the film also for real authenticity on the Christmas table.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

It's impressive how few of the lyrics have to change.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I met a guy who had a bunch of little tattoos of a various horror icons on one of his shoulders. Pinhead, Michael Myers, Freddy, Jigsaw, Jason, Pennywise, Regan. He also had big detailed tattoos of all his dogs that had died, and his close family members.

A Good Dude.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

I should add that I’m asking for contributions or send it to someone with gently caress you money lol. Nothing is really happening with it right now besides a talk with someone.

I need da money first lol.

Let’s maybe make it the first successful goon project? Lol

I'll put in as much as I can as soon as I can.

Which won't be much but hopefully every little bit helps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kingdom is a pretty drat good series.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zwabu posted:

I met a guy who had a bunch of little tattoos of a various horror icons on one of his shoulders. Pinhead, Michael Myers, Freddy, Jigsaw, Jason, Pennywise, Regan. He also had big detailed tattoos of all his dogs that had died, and his close family members.

A Good Dude.

Were the dogs/family members in a separate region (or regions) of his body, were they all kind of mixed together, or…?

It rules regardless, but I wanna make sure I have the correct image.

This is making me realize that I have zero horror tattoos, so I guess I gotta brainstorm something.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Were the dogs/family members in a separate region (or regions) of his body, were they all kind of mixed together, or…?

The dogs and family members were in a different area, the horror icons had their own spot.

There was one horror monster that I did not recognize. Looked like kind of a cross between Michael Myers and OG Universal Studios Frankenstein monster. Like wearing a mask but kind of generic looking. Bugged me that I couldn’t figure it out, and the guy was in no condition to explain it when I asked about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zwabu posted:

The dogs and family members were in a different area, the horror icons had their own spot.

There was one horror monster that I did not recognize. Looked like kind of a cross between Michael Myers and OG Universal Studios Frankenstein monster. Like wearing a mask but kind of generic looking. Bugged me that I couldn’t figure it out, and the guy was in no condition to explain it when I asked about it.

Wait why was he in no condition to explain it.

What exactly are you confessing to with this post?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Wait why was he in no condition to explain it.

What exactly are you confessing to with this post?

It makes more sense if you know what I do as a profession.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching Mother! Really liked it. The scene at the end is so hosed up lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zwabu posted:

It makes more sense if you know what I do as a profession.

Going to need some background

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm gonna guess he was shitfaced.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Going to need some background

It involves putting people into altered mental conditions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was guessing mortician.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was guessing mortician.

I'm guessing murderer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

he sits on peoples faces for cold hard cash

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

he sits on peoples faces for cold hard cash

No, that I do for free.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got around to watching Mother! Really liked it. The scene at the end is so hosed up lol.

Hell yeah, there's another of us! Soon we'll hit double digits!

If you haven't seen Killing of a Sacred Deer check that one out, it's very different from mother! But comes closest to that feeling it evokes

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

This is impressive as hell, amazing and catchy!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Hell yeah, there's another of us! Soon we'll hit double digits!

If you haven't seen Killing of a Sacred Deer check that one out, it's very different from mother! But comes closest to that feeling it evokes

I saw it in theaters! I also really liked it.

My biggest takeaway from Mother! was that Ari Aster was probably thinking about it the entire time he was making Beau is Afraid.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Mother! quite a bit. I don't have any particular desire to see it again but I admire what it accomplished.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hate that I am typing this out, but in the part before the baby is ultimately killed and eaten, the way it is screaming and pissing all over the place as people toss it around is one of the most demented things I have ever seen in a movie, and I was just sitting there like "that's brilliant"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I really hate that I am typing this out, but in the part before the baby is ultimately killed and eaten, the way it is screaming and pissing all over the place as people toss it around is one of the most demented things I have ever seen in a movie, and I was just sitting there like "that's brilliant"

see I felt differently

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mother! is the only good Darren Aronofsky film, and even then I'm not sure it's capable of living up to the experience of seeing it on opening night in theaters without that now-irreplaceable context.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I saw it in theaters! I also really liked it.

My biggest takeaway from Mother! was that Ari Aster was probably thinking about it the entire time he was making Beau is Afraid.

Possibly, but Beau is Afraid had a full draft script circulating years before Mother! was even released.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My friend swears by Mother! but apparently interprets it in a totally different way than Darren claims it should be interpreted. Once I actually watch the movie (I've been trying! It's just never on at a convenient time every October I've tried!) I'm going to text her to find out what she thinks of it all.

I mostly kinda hate Darren Aronofsky otherwise especially because of how much he outright stole from Perfect Blue, except he made The Wrestler which is inexplicably the greatest piece of media about pro wrestling ever made that also managed to capture ROH at its underground hottest, so who can say if he's a hack or not

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still think Pi is a pretty cool movie. I also watched Requiem for a Dream a ton when my interest in film was really blossoming, but I haven't seen it in ages and I fear it would just seem way too melodramatic and preachy now. I haven't seen any of his movies since Black Swan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
black swan is good. im gay.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like several of his older movies but he seems like a gross rear end in a top hat to me so I'm not really interested in watching his movies at this point, especially ones that are all allegory because the last thing I really want to hear is what this gross scumbag thinks about women.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Circutron posted:

This is impressive as hell, amazing and catchy!

Its actually part of an edit of Babadook that combines it with Abba, pretty cool. The song comes in around 26 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

It's kind of hilarious reading reviews of Mother! because so many of them miss the very on-the-nose allegory and instead assume the god figure is supposed to be a stand in for Aronofsky himself.

Also, from the wikipedia:

quote:

After 2014's Noah, Aronofsky began working on a children's film. During that process, he came up with a new idea. He ended up writing the screenplay for Mother! in five days, much faster than his usual pace
Lol, you tried, Darren.