Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"near someone who appears ill" gently caress me running lol

Sounds pretty exhausting to be constantly surveilling people around you at all times evaluating if they're sick enough for you to put a mask on, deciding each day if according to some weird vibes based criteria whether you're in a "bona fide" surge or not, and remembering the exact number of weeks since your last vax shot

None of that poo poo works either obviously but how can anyone live like that, just put a loving mask on and forget about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'll have to remember next time I'm at a party during a Bona Fide surge where cases are Very High, that I should wear my mask while talking and only take it off to eat or drink.

That's good, actionable advice.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Putting out my chart about wearing a seatbelt or not depending on whether Google's traffic number is green yellow or red for my trip, 7-day average number of fatal car accidents, ER wait times, how many miles its been since I had my car serviced, and whether I have any money left in my FSA

e: also if everything looks good I'll drive 80 in a 25 because I have to live my life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
road well-paved and fairly straight:
-generally no seatbelt (exception: doing sick dukes of hazzard jumps)
-full 360 degree burnouts ok
-consider seatbelt if near someone who's driving erratically

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've been home from the hospital for 24 hours and walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks for 20 mins. Felt like a marathon in high heat. Take care of your heart, kiddos. This poo poo sucks.

hey post again so we know you're alive

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“All our teams make an effort to stay optimistic, but I will say that once our virus division saw the vaccine efficacy data, they started asking for payment up front.”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/_jayeab/status/1736891337587429439?s=46

https://x.com/theactualjasonm/status/1736924260273455469?s=46

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth by a trash can.

They have the same plan after that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

please do not get too carried away with the bob wachter shower fall stuff. he has some bad opinions and severely injured himself when he had covid one time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He also ridiculed his wife for protecting herself while travelling.

Then she got long COVID.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

:laffo:

i’m dying

like bob

the dril one got me too

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dren posted:

https://x.com/bob_wachter/status/1736865303609659664?s=46&t=f1MRhF2xe8gNhr6WGxk_NA

new wachter math dropped, right on cue

snipped this one for the “i’m here now” bob head

quote:

a bit to R

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Mola Yam posted:

hey post again so we know you're alive

Seconding, thought of poor unfortunate sex fart this morning. :ohdear:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
picked up my pax, thanks everyone!

I got this preemptively for the holidays. When I called cvs to see if they had it in stock, the person on the other side asked me if I had covid. I said, 'yeah' assuming they were checking to see if it was within the 5 days etc. nah. they snapped back, "I am sending you anywhere else, you cannot come here."

I went there anyway. The cvs is in a packed grocery. hundreds of people walking around coughing on each other. I show up, it was someone different than I talked with on the phone. I say who I was, the tech pulls a cloth mask out of their pocket and puts it on. that dude got me the gently caress out of there as fast as possible.

Man, I didn't want to stress people, but like I am not going to run all over town when I don't have it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Isn't wachter also Vinay Prasad and Monica Gandhi's boss? Chair of the department of medicine seems like that would be the head honcho of the medical school.

UCSF has been so goddamn terrible on this.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

speng31b posted:

please do not get too carried away with the bob wachter shower fall stuff. he has some bad opinions and severely injured himself when he had covid one time.

shut the gently caress up, speng

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Overall Hospitalization Changes October versus now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

no lube so what posted:

picked up my pax, thanks everyone!

I got this preemptively for the holidays. When I called cvs to see if they had it in stock, the person on the other side asked me if I had covid. I said, 'yeah' assuming they were checking to see if it was within the 5 days etc. nah. they snapped back, "I am sending you anywhere else, you cannot come here."

I went there anyway. The cvs is in a packed grocery. hundreds of people walking around coughing on each other. I show up, it was someone different than I talked with on the phone. I say who I was, the tech pulls a cloth mask out of their pocket and puts it on. that dude got me the gently caress out of there as fast as possible.

Man, I didn't want to stress people, but like I am not going to run all over town when I don't have it.

Please don't go to the medicine pickup place because that might put me at risk, but also I will not mitigate this in any other way but diverting people and otherwise think the threat is overblown and for bitches.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the pharmacist doesn’t want you walking into the building, call them on your mobile telephone and say “Hi. I’m Johann Liebert. I’m supposed to be getting Paxlovid today. I’m out front right now. Would you like to bring it to me?”

It’s that simple, folks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Please don't go to the medicine pickup place because that might put me at risk, but also I will not mitigate this in any other way but diverting people and otherwise think the threat is overblown and for bitches.

could be he legit believes masks don’t work and like, this is his job that he’s gotta do and he really doesn’t want to get sick

public health has failed us all so, so miserably

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dren posted:

could be he legit believes masks don’t work
to be fair, since he’s wearing a cloth mask…

A lot of people got hung up on “my mask protects you, your mask protects me” and never learned anything different. A mod hassled me awhile back for claiming that an N95 would protect the wearer. lol, lmao

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Baddog posted:

Isn't wachter also Vinay Prasad and Monica Gandhi's boss? Chair of the department of medicine seems like that would be the head honcho of the medical school.

UCSF has been so goddamn terrible on this.

Yeah, he's a willingly public figure (he doesn't have to keep making media appearances, written or video) piece of poo poo who willingly associates with and apparently rewards absolute dogshit people who have materially made the public worse off. They might as well be working for the goddamn virus.

He is absolutely open season for mocking

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

maxwellhill posted:

shut the gently caress up, speng

it was a funny joke

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

it's fine everything is fine

https://twitter.com/MLS_Dave/status/1736887476604539277?s=20

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
if your risk of colliding with an oncoming semi is high, please have your seatbelt on, unless of course you need to reach into the back for a lil snaccy snac

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i just think it's really funny that he wrote a giant screed about how he nearly died thanks to covid and the lesson he took from that experience is that he's doing everything right

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

i just think it's really funny that he wrote a giant screed about how he nearly died thanks to covid and the lesson he took from that experience is that he's doing everything right

He's like the german guy in that forklift safety video

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

eyyyyyyyy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Zambia is having a pretty big anthrax outbreak, looks like it spread from hippos to humans

quote:

The first human cases were reported from the Dengeza Health Post in the Sinazongwe District of the Southern Province on 5 May 2023. Around the same time period, domestic (cattle and goats) and wild animals (hippopotami) were reportedly dying from an unknown cause in the surrounding areas. In June 2023, human and animal cases were reported in the Kanchindu and Siameja veterinary camps of Sinazongwe District. Twenty-six human cases developed sores on their face, arms, and fingers after consuming meat from three wild hippopotamus carcasses. The first human case was reported on 16 June 2023 and laboratory confirmed by culture at the Lusaka Central Veterinary Research Institute (CVRI). As of 20 November 2023, 684 suspected human cases, including four deaths, a Case Fatality Ratio (CFR)of 0.6%, were reported from 44 out of 116 districts in nine of Zambia’s 10 provinces.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2023-DON497

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
.6%? hell,those are good numbers. gimme that hippo burg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Those anthrax lesions you get all over your skin aren't fun tho :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Just doubling down on it being nbd would be a lot easier for me to understand than what he's actually doing which is:

1. Saying he thinks it's worth trying to not get it.
2. Saying it's worth it for him personally to try not to get it.
3. Outlining this very complicated risk management calculus he says he's following to avoid getting it.
4. All of that doing absolutely gently caress-all and getting it because somehow his finely-tuned risk management swiss watch didn't tell him getting into a crowded elevator without an n95 on might be a bad idea.
5. Suffering significant, painful, potentially fatal consequences.
6. Doubling down not on "the disease is nbd" but on the risk management rube goldberg machine.

If he didn't think it was a problem to get COVID he would jettison the entire risk management framing and just do whatever he wants with no qualms like everybody else is. Instead what he's doing is the same net outcome (doing whatever) but wrapping it in a zillion layers of nonsense risk management that has obviously failed him multiple times, and that's the part I don't get.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
a few days ago Royal Caribbean launched a NINE MONTH cruise set to stop in every continent except Antarctica

https://x.com/aprettypr/status/1735886064554741898?s=46

we gonna see some SARS_CoV4 in 9 months

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

The Oldest Man posted:

Just doubling down on it being nbd would be a lot easier for me to understand than what he's actually doing which is:

1. Saying he thinks it's worth trying to not get it.
2. Saying it's worth it for him personally to try not to get it.
3. Outlining this very complicated risk management calculus he says he's following to avoid getting it.
4. All of that doing absolutely gently caress-all and getting it because somehow his finely-tuned risk management swiss watch didn't tell him getting into a crowded elevator without an n95 on might be a bad idea.
5. Suffering significant, painful, potentially fatal consequences.
6. Doubling down not on "the disease is nbd" but on the risk management rube goldberg machine.

If he didn't think it was a problem to get COVID he would jettison the entire risk management framing and just do whatever he wants with no qualms like everybody else is. Instead what he's doing is the same net outcome (doing whatever) but wrapping it in a zillion layers of nonsense risk management that has obviously failed him multiple times, and that's the part I don't get.

I don't know if I get it or not, but from where I sit it looks like he's clever enough to know that there is still some point in appearing "scientific" about it all. A charitable read would have that motivated by some remaining sense of duty to empiricism and medicine. A more realistic read would place the motivation squarely in the selfish desire to want to appear "very serious" for both feel-good purposes and to chase clout/grants/paid media appearances/an outside chance of political appointment to some nicely titled sinecure.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Posting for the fakeout at the end

the alpine space program only goes one way

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

• no indoor dining
  • OK, a bit of indoor dining but wear a mask when you can
  • or carry a mask, idk

Thank you dr wachter, didn't know you were color blind.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:00 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Literal end of the spectrum is to wear a mask in crowded indoor places and between stuffing your face at a party.