Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mappo posted:

To explain Texas power situation.

To expand on some of your points:

quote:

The rest of the US is on connected power grids and the different power companies are responsible for their part of the grid. If a powerline goes down or there is a power outage it's their job to fix it.
More importantly, being on the power grid means that power can be accessed across different states and companies.

This is kinda true, but kinda backwards. The TX power grid is isolated (with the exception of some western and northern bits, most notably El Paso) because it allows Texas utilities to be wholly free of Federal regulation, since NERC and FERC regulations only apply to utilities that do interstate commerce, i.e. every one tied to a major grid in the lower 48 outside of Texas. This was a deliberate move by the Texas utilities to avoid regulation and oversight. Regulation of power generation inside Texas falls to ERCOT, which serves the same purpose as FERC, but has significantly less stringent regulations for things like weather protection.

NERC is an industry group that sets standards, FERC is a Federal entity that regulates electric power generation and transmission, the two groups work hand in hand, with the former creating standards, and the latter adopting and enforcing them.

After the Northeast blackout of 2003, both entities have pursued much higher standards for grid reliability in the US, and currently they're at the forefront of doing things like setting standards for cyber and physical security at important generation and transmission sites.

quote:

. (Almost all powerplants operate about 50% regardless of what type of power plant they are, btw)

This is not true, baseline power generation (large installations in the 1000+MW range that can't be started or stopped easily, usually hydro, oil, coal, and nuclear) operate as close to a 100% capacity factor as possible, the only ones I'm intimately familiar with are nuclear plants, which start up to 100% power, then stay there until they shutdown for maintenance or refueling. Operating a steam-powered generator at less than 100% power is inefficient, and at grid scales 1-2% efficiency is a massive amount of money in terms of fuel.

Smaller "peaking" plants, usually combined cycle NG fired plants, will start and shutdown as necessary, and vary their output based on predicted and real demand, these plants also share capacity with renewables as necessary.

quote:

In Texas, power companies only operate the power plants. ERCOT is in charge of the powerlines, billing people, etc. These power companies can only sell their power to Texas. So they don't have a reason to invest a lot of money into extra power that will never get sold.

Texas has plenty of production capacity, what caused the winter blackout two years ago was that their infrastructure is fragile, and not winterized, largely because Texas generators operate in a less stringent regulatory environment.

Of course there's always PG&E to prove to us all that you can't relate away blatant malfeasance and incompetence.

quote:

TLDR; Texas is trying to blame power companies, when it's Texas who has put themselves in this position. Texas is hosed.

This is 100% true. Though, from what I've heard from my buddies who work in power generation in Texas, ERCOT is doing what FERC did in the wake of the 2003 blackout, which is strengthen both standards and enforcement, but the various energy companies in Texas have a ton of influence with the legislature, who ERCOT ultimately reports to, so who knows how that will go.

TL;DR: all utilities should be publicly owned and controlled, and tightly regulated.

E: fun fact, currently generators (meaning entities that run power plants, not the physical hardware) under 150kW have been exempt from Federal regulation... until next year, when they will be absolutely hosed, fortunately this is good for my "source"'s job security as a NERC/FERC compliance expert.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Elviscat posted:

Texas has plenty of production capacity, what caused the winter blackout two years ago was that their infrastructure is fragile, and not winterized,

I had to explain this to Canadian relatives of mine.

They were in Alberta [Canadian Texas] and were bewildered why they would have exposed gas turbines generating power just sitting outdoors. The power companies wanted to save that much money they didn't even want to throw a simple sheet metal structure around key infrastructure with gas-powered heaters :v:

Or how random people on market billing got stuck with 5-digit power bills for a few day's worth of power or how the Governor and folks up the food chain were profiting off the price spike during the outage.

Moving back to California was the best decision in my life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Texas looked at California at the height of the Enron-engineered crisis and said “we want a piece of that”.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/elbridgecolby/status/1736519026321272963?s=46

You may ask, why am I posting some extremely dumb take misunderstanding basics of power projection since antiquity from some random on twitter?

Well, check the twitter bio and his website’s resume

It’s one thing to know the Trump admin was randomly appointing people to posts but it’s another thing to see it.

Like… China will probably be loving ecstatic if the US just wanted them to police the seas from the Suez to… idk loving Alaska other than a small area around Taiwan?

That guy deserves 100 marines shouting "FROM THE HALLS OF MONTEZUMA TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI" directly into his ear at 1 AM every night for the rest of his life.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Why is his name Elbridge Colby. Is that burning toast?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Platystemon posted:

Texas looked at California at the height of the Enron-engineered crisis and said “we want a piece of that”.

It's more like certain key Texans looked at the stacks of cash Enron made and said "we want a piece of that"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/hecubian_devil/status/1736958785678098660?t=7xyae6AYfHcbPr2W4m9Wow&s=19

Santos is the same as any media personality, you stop paying attention and they go away. It is like deplatforming shitheads like Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, or Tucker, you take away their oxygen of mainstream media and they shrink.

The MSM didn't learn the lessons for Trump from 2016 and they will make the same mistakes again for 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/hecubian_devil/status/1736958785678098660?t=7xyae6AYfHcbPr2W4m9Wow&s=19

The MSM didn't learn the lessons for Trump from 2016 and they will make the same mistakes again for 2024

There was a lesson? Trump made them money and sensationalizing the gently caress out of everything drives engagement and sells ad revenue.

Not an attack on you or anything, just stating that I dont think the MSM cares about actual ethics or morals more than they do outright profit.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Why is his name Elbridge Colby. Is that burning toast?

He goes by Bridge, and if you mention Bridge Colby to any mainstream US/China person in DC their eyelids will twitch. He's a J6 proponent MAGA dickhead whose schtick is comically wrong maximalist takes on why we should bomb China, but because there's a big audience for that and people like Mike Gallagher love him he is actually a voice in the discourse. He's also desperately thirsty for a China job in the second Trump administration, and will probably get one, and that will be one of the many ways we're on the Bad Timeline.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Nick Soapdish posted:

Santos is the same as any media personality, you stop paying attention and they go away. It is like deplatforming shitheads like Alex Jones, Glenn Beck, or Tucker, you take away their oxygen of mainstream media and they shrink.

it really is incredible to see it distilled like this, and yet knowing it won't matter one drat bit

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1737176111698551133?t=Gy1oBrMDytzhzhi8wnuBQQ&s=19

Oh boy.

Looking forward to :smugdon: being on it and his most psychotic followers somehow publicly abiding pedophilia. I guess the tell will be if he starts ranting about it on Truth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Been tracking this story as it was reported out and the City of St. Louis is going to owe this guy and his gaybar a shitload of money:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1737208653323636812?t=55H-hL26tjL4dbkEHJvk7g&s=19

Not mentioned in the tweet recap: this dude very obviously got beat up by the cop that crashed into his bar.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wondered what exactly was under discussion here, it'll be everything recieved by the court in the Virginia Guiffre civil case before it was settled.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/federal-judge-orders-documents-naming-jeffrey-epsteins-associates/story?id=105779882

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1737176111698551133?t=Gy1oBrMDytzhzhi8wnuBQQ&s=19

Oh boy.

Looking forward to :smugdon: being on it and his most psychotic followers somehow publicly abiding pedophilia. I guess the tell will be if he starts ranting about it on Truth.

Should have released it on the sixth of Jan. Just to watch some conspiracy heads explode.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

hobbesmaster posted:

You may ask, why am I posting some extremely dumb take misunderstanding basics of power projection since antiquity from some random on twitter?

It’s one thing to know the Trump admin was randomly appointing people to posts but it’s another thing to see it.

Like… China will probably be loving ecstatic if the US just wanted them to police the seas from the Suez to… idk loving Alaska other than a small area around Taiwan?

A friend of mine has attended some conferences/war game sessions where he was present. He apparently had even more of a punchable face in person, and seemingly no one liked dealing with him.

Oh and he says the same kind of stupid poo poo takes in person, except it's in professional settings so all people can really do is eye roll rather than telling him how much a mouth breather he is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Been tracking this story as it was reported out and the City of St. Louis is going to owe this guy and his gaybar a shitload of money:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1737208653323636812?t=55H-hL26tjL4dbkEHJvk7g&s=19

Not mentioned in the tweet recap: this dude very obviously got beat up by the cop that crashed into his bar.

quote:

At another point in the video, Morris asks, “Who was sucking whose dick?” when the police car crashed.

lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1737217821719904398?t=PDYHlkNP_vHlLfjSIppDig&s=19

quote:

Trump's reposted article makes sure to point out that Trump was born on "Flag Day"

This is going to be the start of the lore he tries to create about himself, like Kim being born on the Holy Mountain in North Korea, isn't it?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Video of the actual crash because I was wondering how they ended up running into a gay bar at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ED9qfaUYRg

They were definitely doing something stupid and almost plowed into that parked car, no lights going either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Video of the actual crash because I was wondering how they ended up running into a gay bar at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ED9qfaUYRg

They were definitely doing something stupid and almost plowed into that parked car, no lights going either.

And they had the nerve to arrest the bar owner? Man, #FTP

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1737217821719904398?t=PDYHlkNP_vHlLfjSIppDig&s=19

This is going to be the start of the lore he tries to create about himself, like Kim being born on the Holy Mountain in North Korea, isn't it?

pfffhahahahahahahahahaahaha thanks for the laugh trump

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A motivated Taylor and her Swifties could unironically swing the 2024 election so that's double his usual tripledumb bullshit!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taylor Swift is old enough to run.

It’s her turn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Taylor Swift is old enough to run.

It’s her turn.

gently caress it, she's a better novelty candidate than trump was in 16.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah cuz the swift boat worked so well the last time they tried it

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

:perfect:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again:

Better to be a Swiftie than be in their way.

i just bought her version of 1989 today :unsmith:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

:golfclap:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1737248373525139866?t=XUJ7S2FpJVbaw5NYt8QO-Q&s=19

In a 6-3 SCOTUS opinion dot dot dot

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm not a legal-head, so I have to ask: how much does this actually matter? Does it effectively mean he's off the ballot until (if) the SC overrules it? Is that a thing they would even do in this case?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

*blinks*

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Can the supreme Court even overrule that since election ballots are a state function not a federal one?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

Can the supreme Court even overrule that since election ballots are a state function not a federal one?

Yeah, if they want to. Who's going to stop them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

M_Gargantua posted:

Bush v. Gore lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, jet fumes are a powerful thing:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1737251687381819876?t=vIRaZLxkkhs23DONeMhZ_w&s=19

10 months for nothing, like his coaching career

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

I'm not a legal-head, so I have to ask: how much does this actually matter? Does it effectively mean he's off the ballot until (if) the SC overrules it? Is that a thing they would even do in this case?

This is all basically just a headline and it doesn't really matter because:

quote:

If review is sought in the Supreme Court before the stay expires, it shall remain in place, and the Secretary will continue to be required to include President Trump’s name on the 2024 presidential primary ballot until the receipt of any order or mandate from the Supreme Court.

Maybe this comes into play for the general, but it's doubtful based on the speed that the Supreme Court would move on this kind of thing. All Donnie has to do is file the SC petition (he's done that before) and the stay holds forever, more or less. Fun one-day story.

Edit: I believe Nice covered the whole "Officer of the United States" thing here before and there's enough of an argument that SC could even go 9-0 in favor of Donnie, it's probably not a 6-3 thing. Though correct me if I'm misremembering :v:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 20, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, if they want to. Who's going to stop them?

Who’s going to uphold them?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

You posted this to hurt me specifically, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You posted this to hurt me specifically, right?

Actually it was more because:

A.o.D. posted:

That guy deserves 100 marines shouting "FROM THE HALLS OF MONTEZUMA TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI" directly into his ear at 1 AM every night for the rest of his life.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

if Elbridge really wants to hamstring China's ambitions he should seek to reenact the most successful accidental western plot along those lines and convince some weird incel who just failed his LSAT four times in a row to tell everyone he's Jesus' brother-in-law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh boy.

Saw in the paper a fluff piece about Bill Gates giving his thoughts on what 2024 will bring, like he’s a respected elder statesman & didn’t have his decades of marriage break up because he refused to stop constantly hanging out with Epstein for mysterious reasons. Guessing he spent eight figures or so trying to get that narrative forgotten.