Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Fabelmans is great and in a movie full of great performances the best one belongs to David Lynch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hollismason posted:

Dude just abandons his loving wife and kids. Does the mom have a job? So she's a single mom now raising their kids while he fucks off in alien zoo.

I have only vague memories of Close Encounters, but isn't the eponymous encounter public, or at the very least supervised by the government? I'd think the family of the first guy to hang out with aliens would be taken care of, if only to ensure that the government hears about it if the guy decides to call.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Dude just abandons his loving wife and kids. Does the mom have a job? So she's a single mom now raising their kids while he fucks off in alien zoo.

Thank God someone else thought this with the ending. Everyone else I knew thought it was so moving that he was going off to see the wonders of the galaxy and how nice the aliens were with returning people to Earth and I was the one thinking 'okay, he's off planet so what about his family?'.

Grendels Dad posted:

I have only vague memories of Close Encounters, but isn't the eponymous encounter public, or at the very least supervised by the government? I'd think the family of the first guy to hang out with aliens would be taken care of, if only to ensure that the government hears about it if the guy decides to call.

There was some sort of official presence there considering the equipment at the location, but I don't see the government so much as taking care of the family but watching them like hawks in case they speak about it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

It absolutely was not public, the government fabricated a story about a toxic gas spill from a train derailment to ensure they could evacuate as wide an area around Devil's Tower as possible, and then they chased Richard Dreyfus and the kid's mom (with helicopters?) when they snuck through the cordon

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 20, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hollismason posted:

If you watch the special edition its especially clear that he's in a loving zoo for aliens

Id be interested in seeing if anyone came to conclusion before reading it online. I don't think it's especially clear at all unless you're already locked into that (rather boring) analysis.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Spielberg is on record saying he didn’t think about the implications of Dreyfus leaving Earth behind until much later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

Id be interested in seeing if anyone came to conclusion before reading it online. I don't think it's especially clear at all unless you're already locked into that (rather boring) analysis.

Yea all it really shows is that the arrival of the new humans on the ship is being observed by a whole bunch of the aliens from like a big bay of observation windows. I'm not sure why you'd jump to the conclusion that this means the humans will be kept like zoo animals. Maybe there's something else I'm forgetting though.

I also feel like it's implied that these events represent some sort of more "official" relationship with the aliens and that we're now able to communicate with them at least somewhat. Obviously Dreyfuss' character doesn't have a guarantee of being able to return any time soon but I don't get the sense that the humans are prisoners or that the aliens wouldn't accommodate requests if we're now able to communicate with them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd like to know what they're feeding him. What if they have a replicator thingy and everything just tastes like feces.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I'd like to know what they're feeding him. What if they have a replicator thingy and everything just tastes like feces.

Post/username synergy

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Duel is in my Spielberg top 5, and I'm happy to defend that take, because Duel is a drat near perfect movie.

It would definitely make my top 5 too. The tension is incredible. Hard to believe it’s a directorial debut and a made for TV movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spielberg really had to work his way up. He directed a bunch of t.v. episodes before he was able to get the deal to do a few t.v. movies. "Who directed the debut episode of Columbo?" is always a great trivia question to use.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh huh, Duel came out the same year as his Columbo too. What a combo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Then after Duel his theatrical directing debut(Sugarland Express) wasn't very successful so he ends up having to really lobby to get the Jaws gig. Of course the whole experience of Jaws' production could've easily killed his career right then and there, so really there are a lot of different ways the Spielberg story could've gone and we were pretty drat lucky it went the way it did.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I love how hosed up the Jaws production was. They had a mechanical shark that never worked because salt water constantly eroded all the parts, people kept drifting into shots, and someone almost sunk the Orca with actors and crew on it by speedboating past it and flooding it with water. I love how every water based movie ends up like this. Like Deep Blue Sea almost killing everyone multiple times and having the set just flood and drift away.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Doltos posted:

I love how hosed up the Jaws production was. They had a mechanical shark that never worked because salt water constantly eroded all the parts, people kept drifting into shots, and someone almost sunk the Orca with actors and crew on it by speedboating past it and flooding it with water. I love how every water based movie ends up like this. Like Deep Blue Sea almost killing everyone multiple times and having the set just flood and drift away.

It's hard work making the best shark films of all time.

LL Cool J inverting the 'black guy dies first' trope by not only killing the first shark but also surviving the movie is iconic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh huh, Duel came out the same year as his Columbo too. What a combo.

A "colombo", if you will.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spielberg was the one who insisted that Jaws be shot on the open ocean too, the studio wanted to do it on a soundstage. So all the weight of a disastrous production would've fallen directly on his shoulders had the movie been a bomb.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

It's hard work making the best shark films of all time.

LL Cool J inverting the 'black guy dies first' trope by not only killing the first shark but also surviving the movie is iconic.
Ice Cube even got the final kill in Anaconda two years earlier. really ahead of its time, that movie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, just wanted to say that we're voting for the 2024 Spook-A-Doodle Movie Club & Bracketology Tournament Field of 64 and everyone is welcome to vote. Whether you're gonna take part in the movie club or not, feel free to vote. I won't spam the thread or anything but if you're looking for deep cut horror films to watch in 2024 we dig pretty drat deep sometimes and make for some very fun and interesting (and sometimes terrible) double features. So all are welcome in any way they want to take part.

Vote for our Bracketology '24 Field of 64 until 12 noon EST Dec 26th!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know in the past some people have said they're a bit intimidated by all the rules and the setup of the teams in the bracketology thread. The key thing to realize is that you can completely ignore all that and just stop in each week to see what the selected movies are, then you can watch them and participate in the discussion. And there's zero pressure to participate every week, you can pop in and out, you're not obligated to watch every movie every week. Just think of it as the same thing as this thread except that discussion is focused on a few select movies per week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the most complicated part is done. You can ignore all that. Its basically a 3 staged thing.

1) Complicated nomination process.
2) Me spreadsheeting it all together.
3) New movies each week.

1 is done. 2 is underway and only really affects me. January 1st all you really "have" to do is pop in once a week to see what the new movies are. And you can do that however many weeks you like. And vote whenever you want. I just make it all seem more complicated than it is because I'm a mess.

In case you're curious here's the complete list of movies we watched last year and what we've watched over the last four years.

Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club ’23
Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club Master List

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, I just finished watching Adam Chaplain. First thought was 'oh, this is kinda a homage to Ricki-Oh.' Then as I watched more, it was 'Holy poo poo, this is an actual live action anime'.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, I don't buy it either. A bunch of person-shaped shadows standing behind windows is how you avoid showing the aliens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Finally watched Midnight Mass and man, what a mess. The Ryan Murphy comparison is very apt, and a lot of the writing is borderline amateur or just outright disrespects the audience's ability to piece together the most obvious context clues. Other than the 500 monologues and desperate need for an editor for the script and final cuts, it had a really cool conceit, great atmosphere, and some good characters (before they were pushed to extreme one dimensional beings).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked everything about it other than the overuse of churchy scenes that didn't push the story forward. They probably had an entire episode of that content alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Midnight Mass was where I felt like the line was finally crossed with the monologues. It seemed to me that there were a few episodes where it was just monologues stacked on top of monologues and you get to the end of the episode and realize like 80% of it was monologues. And I'm not saying the line by line dialogue was bad, just that it was too much.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there came a point in midnight mass where I started laughing out loud at the monologues

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's done with Netflix now isn't he? His contract ran out and he'll be working for a different company?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Philthy posted:

I liked everything about it other than the overuse of churchy scenes that didn't push the story forward. They probably had an entire episode of that content alone.

I want to watch it with someone who gives even a third of a poo poo about Catholicism. I think it might have some cool ruminations on the nature of faith (if you're into that thing), but since I don't give a poo poo it rapidly became me just making the jerking off motion.

Or that's me guessing at least. I don't know, I never even thought to believe in god, I was raised by a mathematician. We just did that poo poo to make my great-grandmother shut up.

I just want to know if that's because I don't give a poo poo or if no one gives a poo poo about it.

Still loved the miniseries and I'll fight for it, if nothing else than because I think "high concept miniseries" is a massively underused horror format.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

He's done with Netflix now isn't he? His contract ran out and he'll be working for a different company?

i think he's got a contract to make some stuff for Amazon now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think "high concept miniseries" is a massively underused horror format.

I agree, which is part of why it's so disappointing. High concept falls apart quickly when the writing is so stupid and thinks so little of the audience though.

"You better not tell your dad about our booze!"

"I promise I won't"

"YOU BETTER NOT TELL YOUR DAD"

"Ok what do you want me to say, gently caress my dad. gently caress him. gently caress the SHERIFF" :aaa:

Had me groaning like 5 minutes in and there were examples like that constantly. It was soap opera writing mixed in with overwritten and overacted dialogue that's closer to two characters preforming soliloquy's in the same room than having a conversation. Just a bizarre mix of garbage on top of some really solid bones.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Stink Billyums posted:

there came a point in midnight mass where I started laughing out loud at the monologues

glad i'm not alone. all i remember from that series is a cool monster, a neat setting, and endless monologuing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, which is part of why it's so disappointing. High concept falls apart quickly when the writing is so stupid and thinks so little of the audience though.

"You better not tell your dad about our booze!"

"I promise I won't"

"YOU BETTER NOT TELL YOUR DAD"

"Ok what do you want me to say, gently caress my dad. gently caress him. gently caress the SHERIFF" :aaa:

Had me groaning like 5 minutes in and there were examples like that constantly. It was soap opera writing mixed in with overwritten and overacted dialogue that's closer to two characters preforming soliloquy's in the same room than having a conversation. Just a bizarre mix of garbage on top of some really solid bones.

Have you never encountered melodrama before?

Do I have to give my speech about how "genre you don't like" =/= "bad writing" again?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The monologues are melodrama sure, and while entirely self indulgent I can see why people would like that. The exposition dumps that over-explain everything and treat the audience like a bunch of kindergarteners is not only bad writing, but completely at odds with the melodramatic elements. The show careens wildly between the two styles and it's exhausting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The monologues are melodrama sure, and while entirely self indulgent I can see why people would like that. The exposition dumps that over-explain everything and treat the audience like a bunch of kindergarteners is not only bad writing, but completely at odds with the melodramatic elements. The show careens wildly between the two styles and it's exhausting.

How is it "bad" writing?

You keep using that particular word, a word that is useless for serious discussion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bottom Liner posted:

Finally watched Midnight Mass and man, what a mess. The Ryan Murphy comparison is very apt, and a lot of the writing is borderline amateur or just outright disrespects the audience's ability to piece together the most obvious context clues. Other than the 500 monologues and desperate need for an editor for the script and final cuts, it had a really cool conceit, great atmosphere, and some good characters (before they were pushed to extreme one dimensional beings).

Midnight Mass is the show where I refuse to believe people aren't looking at their cellphones.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Midnight Mass is the show where I refuse to believe people aren't looking at their cellphones.

yup lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

How is it "bad" writing?

You keep using that particular word, a word that is useless for serious discussion.

Good and bad are not mealy mouthed nebulous terms, they are literally the baseline way to communicate judgement of something. If you are going to rule out baseline words for critiquing things then you're not interested in discussion anyways, especially since I gave examples and explanations.

Doltos posted:

Half accurate, as by the 4th or 5th episode I had it on the second monitor while working just to see where it went.

I will say, the boat sunrise scene was done really well and was the highlight of the show. More moments like that please.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lol.

Okay. Enjoy you bad opinion then.

You’re bad at art criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’re bad at art criticism.

:lol: the irony

Worth noting I only used the word "bad" one time and it was in the third post I made about the show. Sorry I personally insulted your fragile ego that is so attached to a piece of media.