Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Things like ROMS are probably fine on an SD card since those are pretty much write once and rarely (if every) change after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Things like ROMS are probably fine on an SD card since those are pretty much write once and rarely (if every) change after that.

The very definition of Read Only Memory, you might even say. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s crazy how good doom eternal runs on deck. Strangely way better than doom 2016.

What are some other nice looking, recent-ish AAA games that run effortlessly on deck? Like 60fps at relatively high settings. All the RE engine games seem to run really nice too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

oh boy look at these winter sale DEALS!

give the store a couple hours, I'm sure it's getting hammered and nothing is showing up correctly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It’s crazy how good doom eternal runs on deck. Strangely way better than doom 2016.

Eternal ran better in every platform. It also looks much better and the install size is much smaller. Fantastic game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

veni veni veni posted:

What are some other nice looking, recent-ish AAA games that run effortlessly on deck? Like 60fps at relatively high settings. All the RE engine games seem to run really nice too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 runs better on Deck than it does on my Series X

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it just me, or is there a huge lack of really good themes? I'm using Outrun with the dark blue and pink scheme, which is great, but other than some theme based around Persona, a game series I've never even given any thought to, none of the themes really stick out.

Also, what does that "Switch-like interface" theme do? It still looks like the SteamOS interface to me :shrug:

Square tiles I think.

I agree though, most of the themes and sound packs and poo poo are total garbage.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Can anyone vouch for the current MGS Collection experience on Steam Deck?

Not too much sticking out at me from this sale but I definitely think I could be swayed by that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bumhead posted:

Can anyone vouch for the current MGS Collection experience on Steam Deck?

Not too much sticking out at me from this sale but I definitely think I could be swayed by that.

I don’t have any direct experience but they supposedly just dropped a huge update that fixed quite a few bugs and things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WH40k Space Marine is on sale for a touch over :10bux:. It's the updated version so I have no idea how much they goosed the graphics, but something that originally shipped on the 360 should be a solid fit for deck gaming.

edit: protonDB gives it a gold rating, installing it now on the deck. Will report back if it sucks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So with EmuDeck, I get that you put the ROMs in their appropriate folder, do the parsing, and it adds them to your Steam Collection.

For EmulationStation, can I just stick the ROM collections in any folder so I can launch them through Emulationstation and it won't pollute my Steam Library with thousands of SNES games?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vlaphor posted:

The new version of Proton Experimental is supposed to get HDR working on THPS 1+2, but it seems only for the Steam version. I have the Epic version running via Heroic and still no dice. Tried a bunch of things and it will not activate on my SD Oled.

Went ahead and bought the Steam version for $15 on the sale. It also works offline, and I'll need that later anyway. Had to turn HDR on and off a few times in game for it to work properly and not look like a washed out mess, but it looks real good, and I don't mind playing through THPS 1+2 a third time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The newest Lego Star Wars game is $9 or $13 with everything and imo they are great deck games.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So with EmuDeck, I get that you put the ROMs in their appropriate folder, do the parsing, and it adds them to your Steam Collection.

For EmulationStation, can I just stick the ROM collections in any folder so I can launch them through Emulationstation and it won't pollute my Steam Library with thousands of SNES games?

The Steamrommanager or whatever program you run separately from the emudeck installer is the part that adds emulation station and any roms you choose to Steam. You can add just emulation station and not pick any of the other systems and it won't add anything else

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
As far as managing files between OSs, I just use syncthing. Plus I don't have to deal with copying files to an intermediary drive which saves time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I will never use emulationstation when steam ROM manager adds them to collections grouped by system anyway, it’s just an extra layer of abstraction nobody needs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

You have to put the ROMs into the folders the EmuDeck installer specifies, unless you want to manually change the settings in EmulationStation.

Putting the ROMs in those folders will not add them to Steam. Despite being launched through EmuDeck, Steam ROM Manager is a completely separate program.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I will never use emulationstation when steam ROM manager adds them to collections grouped by system anyway, it’s just an extra layer of abstraction nobody needs

I don't use them because I exclusively use the Favorites collection to manage my games on my Deck. I don't want to have to tab around to get to the games I want to play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cyrano4747 posted:

WH40k Space Marine is on sale for a touch over :10bux:. It's the updated version so I have no idea how much they goosed the graphics, but something that originally shipped on the 360 should be a solid fit for deck gaming.

edit: protonDB gives it a gold rating, installing it now on the deck. Will report back if it sucks.

This game rules. Like if Gears of War was good. JK, I do like Gears and you’ll like this if you like that.

What’s the return policy like for Decks from Valve? I’m tempted but still not entirely sure.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 21, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Syenite posted:

As far as managing files between OSs, I just use syncthing. Plus I don't have to deal with copying files to an intermediary drive which saves time.

Anyone got any feedback on using this with Deck? Never heard of it but it sounds like a solid as gently caress option for dealing with modded to poo poo Bethesda games

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I use Syncthing for my ROMs and it works great. The getting it set up right caused me to replicate a few folders within themselves, but just because I wasn’t paying enough attention and it was easy to remedy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Even though the bastards never go on sale, I was going to get the first Dragon Quest Heroes game (already have both on PS4 disc). I just looked and it says that both are not compatible with Steam Deck, so never mind. Given their age and relative unimportance, I won't hold my breath.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone got any feedback on using this with Deck? Never heard of it but it sounds like a solid as gently caress option for dealing with modded to poo poo Bethesda games
I've used it for modded Skyrim and it works great.

JustJeff88 posted:

Even though the bastards never go on sale, I was going to get the first Dragon Quest Heroes game (already have both on PS4 disc). I just looked and it says that both are not compatible with Steam Deck, so never mind. Given their age and relative unimportance, I won't hold my breath.
ProtonDB rates it Gold which usually means "may require minor tinkering", and the comments suggest applying this fan patch to improve performance.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 21, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JustJeff88 posted:

I’m surprised Shenmue 1 and 2 doesn’t work on it. That was one of the first things I wanted to play if I got one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

ProtonDB my friend. Don't trust steams rating system. DQH is rated gold so it should play decently well. Get decky usually and install ProtonDB badges to your deck and you can see your whole library and how compatible it is.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

veni veni veni posted:

I know Doom Eternal's engine can play all kinds of games with variable resolution rendering to keep the 60 FPS target. Enabling the in-game metrics will show that.

While Steam's family sharing with a friend's account I got to play the Dead Space remake, and it barely ran on Steamdeck, even with lowest settings.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Any recommendations for games like Vampire Survivors that are good mindless games that are on sale right now? I'd love one with slightly more RPG elements if such a thing exists.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rosalind posted:

Any recommendations for games like Vampire Survivors that are good mindless games that are on sale right now? I'd love one with slightly more RPG elements if such a thing exists.

Halls of Torment might scratch that itch. It's basically still a vampire survivors clone, but more of a Diablo 1 feel to it.

It's not on sale but it costs the kingly sum of $4 full price.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Modding Unity games: There's a bunch of wrong info floating around about using the Unity Mod Manager's DoorstopProxy method on the Deck or Linux, which some games need (PoE2 Deadfire e.g.).

Just add the following line to the game's Launch Properties (right click the game, then Properties, Launch Properties should be bottom of right pane):
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winhttp=n,b

This will work for any game you want to use UMM with under the Deck or Linux in general. Just add that line to each game's Launch Properties. If you're not using Steam with Linux, you'll need to do the equivalent config in Wine to let winhttp.dll override Wine's dll.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I've used it for modded Skyrim and it works great.
How did you handle the inevitable skyrim extended loader? Add it as a non-steam game?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rosalind posted:

i think holocure's been the only game that's come close to grabbing my attention the same way. but if you're not familiar with the vtuber characters, it's going to be a little confusing to understand what the abilities etc are. then again, it's still very confusing even if you're familiar

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

but it's free so who cares!

also hades is always great

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

they're basically where you end up when you branch out of conventional arpg's

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 21, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Once I can hop on my desktop I'll just repost the guide v1ld made for modding Skyrim on Deck, I have it saved in my PMs, but you can look through their old posts to find it if you really need it now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kliras posted:

i think holocure's been the only game that's come close to grabbing my attention the same way. but if you're not familiar with the vtuber characters, it's going to be a little confusing to understand what the abilities etc are. then again, it's still very confusing even if you're familiar

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

but it's free so who cares!

also hades is always great

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

they're basically where you end up when you branch out of conventional arpg's

I tried playing this with no context and the mechanics aren't hard but no idea who these animes are.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

How did you handle the inevitable skyrim extended loader? Add it as a non-steam game?

i think the usual thing is to delete skyrimselauncher and rename skse64_loader.exe to SkyrimSELauncher.exe, which will get rid of the launcher and just have skse load skyrim when you run it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Suburban Dad posted:

I tried playing this with no context and the mechanics aren't hard but no idea who these animes are.

Eh, you really don't need to know the characters, the gameplay is great.

I honestly prefer it to Vampire Survivors in some ways, because there are a gently caress ton of characters and weapons that are all pretty unique.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rosalind posted:

I've been having a good time with Renfield: Bring your own Blood
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2354600/Renfield_Bring_Your_Own_Blood/

Yeah, it's a licensed survivors based off the movie from this year. It's pretty decent though.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I can’t recall which guide I used because it was a while back but I just searched “Skyrim mods steam deck” and got simple instructions to install Vortex mod manager and SKSE. It went really easy given it was my first couple of days with the deck.

I was also able to sort out the motion sickness I was getting from it with a couple of mods - which was weird because I never had that problem on pc.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Looking to play a Final Fantasy game - never played the franchise other than maxing out a job in the FF14 trial. This was pretty fun but I don't have time these days to do an MMO at the level I'd get into it at.

Basic googling says it doesn't matter where you start but curious if there's any that the steam deck plays better. Was looking at the 7 remaster, 10 and 10-2, or 15. Really daring choices I'm sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr Newsman posted:

Looking to play a Final Fantasy game - never played the franchise other than maxing out a job in the FF14 trial. This was pretty fun but I don't have time these days to do an MMO at the level I'd get into it at.

Basic googling says it doesn't matter where you start but curious if there's any that the steam deck plays better. Was looking at the 7 remaster, 10 and 10-2, or 15. Really daring choices I'm sure.

10 is excellent with arguably the best turn-based system (and 10-2 ain't bad). It's also extremely on-rails in a more apparent way and has some goofy voice acting. Still one of the better ones. It's also 20 years old.

FF7R is the best pick of these three you should play it.

FF15 is a chill af game with a boring snoozefest of a combat system but an overall extremely cinematic presentation in the latter half and is also very pretty overall. It starts out extremely open-world and then transitions into a very on-rails experience with little explanation of what's going on. Still sticks the landing.

If you want to play an old-school FF game, I'd recommend 5 or 6. 5 lets you pick your jobs, 6 doesn't.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

6 7 and 9 are the best ones so pick one of those yeah

then after that do 5 job fiesta next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

jokes posted:

FF15 is a chill af game

Accurate. It's a story about a bunch of bros going for a cross-country drive in their tricked out car and the hijinks they get to on the way.