Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There are a lot of action scenes in the Xenoblade Chronicles franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
they were probably referring to astral chain

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

The protagonist's 'main' outfit. It's fine, pretty flashy and distinctive.

The disguise outfit, which I just think looks way cooler. It obviously evokes Tir McDohl but I just think it looks cooler.

He has two other outfits too but I like his 'disguise' one the most.
I always thought his main outfit was cool. The disguise is ok but not as interesting

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I dunno, I like the Suikoden V protag's disguise more because it's "not as interesting." The disguise has a solid red-brown-white theme and the gold is restricted to an accent color. Even the protag's hair basically fits within the theme's white, with some gradation. Meanwhile the main outfit has black as a main color and is otherwise red-blue-gold anarchy. And if black's the predominant color then why are his shoulders bare, when having them also covered by the bodysuit would improve the visual cohesion? And why does the scarf also shade to orange, that's a fine design touch but that shade is nowhere else in the rest of the design! And you're doing nothing with his hair color!

Like, this isn't anything that I have formal training in, just years of looking at stuff. But my immediate response to the main outfit is "too busy" and I'm pretty sure it's down to how it's using color.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The disguise is better because capes and cloaks own.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Idk I think his shoulders are bare because it looks cute. Like half of fantasy RPG characters have a cape, I think it's fun to see something a bit different. I also like how his arm and foot things match his staff

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Be nice to Elliot. He's too busy keeping the rest of my party alive to look cool.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wouldn't really consider an auto-attack system "action" but I guess it's up to your own tastes

So you don't think FF7R is an action RPG when played in "classic" mode?

I think most people would consider any RPG with freedom of movement and real-time combat to be an action-RPG. Like, FXIII isn't one, and Lighting Returns is one. Auto-attack seems like a pretty arbitrary line to draw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

I think most people would consider any RPG with freedom of movement and real-time combat to be an action-RPG. Like, FXIII isn't one, and Lighting Returns is one. Auto-attack seems like a pretty arbitrary line to draw.

What about Valkyrie Profile?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Doesn't have freedom of movement during battles. It has some real-time elements in much the same way that Paper Mario or the ATB FF games do, but not enough to make it an action-RPG.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What about the platforming tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How "freeform" is octopath 2. The game looks interesting but I'm in the mood for something at least slightly on rails.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How "freeform" is octopath 2. The game looks interesting but I'm in the mood for something at least slightly on rails.

You are guided to plot points but can hit the in any order.

Tequila Bob posted:

Doesn't have freedom of movement during battles. It has some real-time elements in much the same way that Paper Mario or the ATB FF games do, but not enough to make it an action-RPG.

What about outside battle?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The platforming in VP has nothing to do with the combat. When I said freedom of movement, I meant during battle. This was obvious because every RPG gives you freedom of movement outside of battle, except maybe Riviera and Unlimited Saga.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but in valkyrie Profile you jump around and hit enemies with your sword outside of battle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

theres 8 party members, you pick one to start with and then just go around grabbing the other 7, and then you just sorta do laps around the world doing everyone's story chapters. its not really a linear progression but there's only so much to do. i guess id compare it to like, weird comparison but the early pokemon games where you could do gyms in any order.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but in valkyrie Profile you jump around and hit enemies with your sword outside of battle

You also do those things in Dragon Quest XI.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's very freeform but it's also obvious what your potential next steps are. All the characters have stories you progress through and it's just a matter of picking which chapter to do next at any given time and walking in that direction. I picked 4 characters I like and will do all their stories first and just do whichever of their 4 current chapters has the lowest level requirement.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I tried Octopath 1 on gamepass, thinking it would be exactly my cup of tea, but quit after maybe 10 hours extremely disappointed by the absolutely disjointed "story" and the fact that characters basically don't acknowledge or interact with each other.

Octopath 2 has a preposterous 95% positive rating on steam currently and I'm wondering what accounts for that. Is it just improvements to the storytelling? Are the systems better? Overall package?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scoss posted:

I tried Octopath 1 on gamepass, thinking it would be exactly my cup of tea, but quit after maybe 10 hours extremely disappointed by the absolutely disjointed "story" and the fact that characters basically don't acknowledge or interact with each other.

Octopath 2 has a preposterous 95% positive rating on steam currently and I'm wondering what accounts for that. Is it just improvements to the storytelling? Are the systems better? Overall package?

all of the above. the story's still disjointed (and personally i thought the eight-paths conceit worked against it pretty much every step of the way) but the routes are more varied and the protagonists more interesting than the original, and there's a bunch of QOL features added to the combat including a fast-forward option

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Scoss posted:

As someone who already quite liked the first game, it's because the second game is more of the same but with better writing, improved mechanics, and snappier combat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also largely the people who bought octopath 2 already liked octopath 1 so thats gonna balloon its rating

i thought octopath 2 was a big improvement but i still had a lot of the same complaints. theres some quests where the characters interact but theyre still basically isolated to just that content (and the specific pairs they set up). if you hated that part of the first game 2 doesnt really change it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Scoss posted:

It's a good game op. Idk about the first one cuz I never played it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tequila Bob posted:

Eh, Parasite Eve meets both those criteria but I'd feel weird calling it an action-rpg.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh it has a demo, I'll give it a try. My main worries was that the freeform nature of the game would make it like SaGa Froneir or something which I found way too intimidating to get into and refunded pretty early lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I feel like I've asked this before but they're both on sale to varying degrees: Is blue reflection worth playing or should I skip to 2?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i skipped to 2 and didn't feel i missed out on anything. if anything it seems like watching the anime adds more since those characters kinda get more focus

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Same! I went in basically blind to anything about it except that friends told me I would love it. And they were right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's safe to skip to 2. I enjoyed 1 enough but 2 is significantly better, and the references from 1 aren't that complex.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Thuryl posted:

Eh, Parasite Eve meets both those criteria but I'd feel weird calling it an action-rpg.

Parasite Eve doesn't have real-time combat, since it's limited by the ATB bar. Same as The SNES/PS1 FF games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I only played a bit of PE1 but it kind of seemed like proto-FF12 to me in some ways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like I've asked this before but they're both on sale to varying degrees: Is blue reflection worth playing or should I skip to 2?

You're not really missing anything but if you dont mind the extremely slow pace BR1 has a particular atmosphere that the sequel doesn't also kaiju fights.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Tequila Bob posted:

The platforming in VP has nothing to do with the combat. When I said freedom of movement, I meant during battle. This was obvious because every RPG gives you freedom of movement outside of battle, except maybe Riviera and Unlimited Saga.

What about Valkyrie Profile 2 then?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Hyper Inferno posted:

What about Valkyrie Profile 2 then?

"Enemies only move when you move" isn't real time. Rogue was doing that a long time ago.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What are the coolest PSN sale rpgs to get in the sale. Hoping to make 2024 the year of the jrpg for me

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Parasite Eve is proto FF14 because you avoid attacks by moving and your abilities are limited by global cooldown meter.

I'm sorry I've been reading too much other threads.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Ramadu posted:

What are the coolest PSN sale rpgs to get in the sale. Hoping to make 2024 the year of the jrpg for me

From the games I've played on that list, I'd say monster sanctuary (one of my favorite games of the last couple years) and digimon story cyber sleuth (though this one expects quite some grind)

I saw soul hackers 2 is like 18 bucks so I might pull the trigger on that soon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been replaying Crystal Project. Still a hell of a game but something I'm less keen on in a replay is how many boss fights demand specific toolsets. Mostly a disappointment for a replay because it'd be way harder to do a four job fiesta thing (as anyone who has done the fiesta knows, part of the charm with FF5 is that while obviously there are disparities with how effective a given job can be, at the end of the day with enough planning any combination can make it through). An easy example of a roadblock: the boss fight to get the owl mount is a hell of a difficulty spike unless you can inflict blindness, then it's a cakewalk.

Still having a blast trying out different classes on this playthrough though, and this time around I'm gonna try to beat all the optional bosses too. Wish this gamer luck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They announced yesterday that Crystal Project is coming out on Switch on 1/12 if anyone was waiting for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

They announced yesterday that Crystal Project is coming out on Switch on 1/12 if anyone was waiting for that

Hell yeah. I'm gonna double dip on that just because it's more convenient to carry my Switch around then the ol 'Deck.