Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ah the Union Jackoff

e: Catte Taxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Diet Crack posted:

People still shop at waitrose and M&S? Why? Is it just for the fanfare of being a snooty oval office because everything is the same quality as Sainsburys just 50% dearer? Baffling.

What Sainsbury's are you shopping at? M&S is dearer but back when I was living in London the Waitrose basics were a bit cheaper and better quality.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In terms of TV appearances, aside from my adult appearance as a Jeremy Kyle audience member booing someone, I also had an amazing acting role as a child. In a perfect example of "wouldn't happen today", my aunt worked on a BBC disability rights programme called From The Edge and they needed some extras for a piece on discrimination. My starring role was that of a child wedding guest - my job was to sneer and laugh at a disabled man in a wheelchair. The man in the wheelchair was the director, who was not disabled, putting on his best impression of someone with special needs.

I once went in that Waitrose and saw the height of Cheshire twattery in a nearby unit - what would normally be called a "butty shop" described itself as a "purveyor of bespoke sandwiches".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The man in the wheelchair was the director, who was not disabled, putting on his best impression of someone with special needs.
I think I would sneer at that kind of behaviour too.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

what would normally be called a "butty shop" described itself as a "purveyor of bespoke sandwiches".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is it just me or does that look a bit like a closed toilet.

Not sure if apt or intended.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
waitrose on reduced sticker can be absolutely amazing value, get in at the right time and it's as high as 95% off- I'm going tonight before they shut, maybe tomorrow too

100% off if you can run fast enough, comrades

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Diet Crack posted:

People still shop at waitrose and M&S? Why? Is it just for the fanfare of being a snooty oval office because everything is the same quality as Sainsburys just 50% dearer? Baffling.

We have a large CoOp and Waitrose in my town, and tbh, there's not really a difference in prices between them for the things that I buy. I mostly choose Waitrose as it's easier to get around in my wheelchair.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I popped into M&S today and it was full of posh old people, shopping extremely slowly. There was a not very big bit of Aberdeen Angus beef that they were selling for £50. £50! I felt that was a bit much, even if it did come with parsley butter.

I bought some posh Yorkshires. They were less than £50.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Diet Crack posted:

I can walk or bus to Waitrose. The nearest non-mini Sainsbury’s is only accessible by car. I don’t own a car. Pretty straightforward decision really?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Anyone else just not really feeling it with Christmas this year? I've never been one of those "OMG the magic of Christmas!" people but this year just feels off.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Diet Crack posted:

Sainsburys more expensive than Waitrose

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyone else just not really feeling it with Christmas this year? I've never been one of those "OMG the magic of Christmas!" people but this year just feels off.

Feels a bit gauche to be magic of Christmasing when the country is in such a dire state. Greatest Hits Radio was thanking people for helping them provide 32,000 kids with presents who otherwise would get nothing on Christmas day. And sure, it's great that they did that, but I'm just thinking about what's the number of those who won't? And the families who can't afford to do anything nice for it. Christmas, ignoring the Christian poo poo, is meant to be where you counteract the depressing weather and daylight hours by having something to look forward to in the midwinter and so many people can't afford that.

Hell Channel 4 News last night was interviewing a charity going around the streets of Liverpool trying to give the skyrocketing homeless population something to hold on to as they go into Christmas penniless on the street. Interviewing an elderly homeless lady crying and saying she wanted her life to have more to it than "this" as she gesticulates.

gently caress this country

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Unless you are serving this upto hardcore anti-UKers, no one gives a gently caress what you eat alone at christmas mate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is proof that the only people who consider a lovely marzipan flag to be 'far right' are people trying to vice signal to the right themselves.

Not sure he's going to eat it though.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

I popped into M&S today and it was full of posh old people, shopping extremely slowly. There was a not very big bit of Aberdeen Angus beef that they were selling for £50. £50! I felt that was a bit much, even if it did come with parsley butter.

I bought some posh Yorkshires. They were less than £50.

Yorkshire puddings are so cheap to make though! And incredibly easy with this recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-yorkshire-pudding-popover-recipe

I find half the recipe fills a muffin tray.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah, a festival of conspicuous consumption feels a bit weird when a significant portion of the population is struggling to afford food and heating, and it’s kind of hard to buy into “peace on earth and goodwill to all” while the IDF is carpet bombing part of the holy land

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I went into an M&S Food a week or so back and my brief observation was that in a lot of ways it wasn't really any more expensive than most, but it didn't bother having a budget range and had more high-quality stuff. Like if you needed to do your entire shop on a budget then you wouldn't go there, if you wanted something particularly nice then you would, and if you just needed a few essentials on the way home then it's fine. But I didn't stay long enough to actually test that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Everyone's broke, and they know it. If the UK economy's a ladder, everyone's slipped down a couple of rungs: people who were previously 'comfortable' are now 'coping'; the copers have become 'strugglers'; the 'strugglers' have become 'destitute' and god knows what's happened to the people who were already destitute before all this kicked off.

My household is lucky enough to be reasonably secure and even for us, there's all sorts of stuff we've looked at this Xmas and gone: "How much?? gently caress it, we won't bother this year."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Diet Crack posted:

Not baffling if you live in a small town, don't drive & have lovely public transport:

In my town we do NOT have the following: Sainsburys, Tescos, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons. All are at least 10-20 miles away and require a car.

We do have:

(all walk times are one way so real walk is double)

Home Bargains - 1.5 mins walk from home - cheap basics but limited range of stuff - approx 45% of my food spend goes here

Waitrose - 3 mins walk from home - good range of stuff at good quality - approx 30% of my food spend goes here - frozen pizza cheaper than Home Bargains

Iceland - 7 mins walk from home - I stock my freezer up from here with basics - frozen veg, frozen mince, limited stock for other stuff & always have to wait an age for someone to come to the till + it's near my office so I often get my lunch there on an office day - approx 17% of my food spend goes here. (Also their Bonus Card is a very good deal - they add £1 for every £20 you load, and this winter did a top up bonus - if you put £100 on across a period of a few weeks, you got not only the regular £5 but an additional £15 bonus to be spent by today which I did when I stocked my freezer up a couple of weeks ago). Oh & for us grannies over 60, we get 10% off if we shop on a Tuesday.

M&S Food - 5 mins walk from home - small range of good quality stuff - some stuff cheaper than Waitrose eg slices of chicken

Other options:

Lidl - 20 mins walk - if I'm over that part of town will take a gander & maybe buy a 1kg pot of greek yoghurt for the cost of 500g in the other shops

Coop - 12 mins walk - more expensive than ALL of the above, limited selection, & tinned veg, spaghetti hoops etc are literally disgusting, but it is open til 10pm on a Sunday

One Stop - 5 mins walk - open til 10pm - quite expensive but if I'm desperate for icecream or chocolate late evening, there it is.

Budgens - 12 mins walk - all night garage shop - extremely expensive.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 23, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Tesco near me is in a right state. Very poor quality and limited produce at times. I'd probably go to a Waitrose just for veg if there was one nearby.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Not sure he's going to eat it though.

Turn that fleg into poo poo!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pro Palestine protestors have blocked Oxford Street, which should suitably enrage Gammons who’ve left it to the last minute to get the wife a present.

Edit : and Carnaby street lol

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 23, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not baffling if you live in a small town, don't drive & have lovely public transport:
This is also why I usually shop at the Co-op (and have membership and coupon clip) and at the Quality Discounts and counter shops for dry/tinned goods.

And online for things like cleaning products and bin bags and other things where you can easily get 40%+ off compared to those and it doesn't matter if they get chucked over a fence.

Turns out the American conservative wannabe tough guy song 'Try That in a Small Town' was actually about getting a bus in less than an hour.

Pistol_Pete posted:

and god knows what's happened to the people who were already destitute before all this kicked off
I think we know the answer, and it's one that the government and economists need to keep being reminded.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soricidus posted:

Yeah, a festival of conspicuous consumption feels a bit weird when a significant portion of the population is struggling to afford food and heating, and it’s kind of hard to buy into “peace on earth and goodwill to all” while the IDF is carpet bombing part of the holy land

First half of December last year, my mum was on a pilgrimage with her church to the Holy Land. I'm glad it wasn't this year! Seen videos of how the settlers are treating christian 'pilgrims' over there and that's before all this kicked off.

She didn't really say much about it (my mum is a very 'closed shop' & likes to be Contrary Mary) but I notice the quantity of pro-Palestinian emails she gets from various organisations has increased (as I get her email too for various reasons which she knows & is happy about).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

poo poo weather, astronomical prices, the news is pure misery even by the usual standards and politically we have two groups hysterically yelling that they'll be making even harder decisions than each other come the next year.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

This is a real product. AI future will be amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

The M&S sourdoughs are amazing. Course they loving should be for a fiver but they're dense and big enough you can get two solid meals out of them so it's not so bad. Dunno anywhere else that does a loaf you could kill someone with if you threw it at them.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I went into an M&S Food a week or so back and my brief observation was that in a lot of ways it wasn't really any more expensive than most, but it didn't bother having a budget range and had more high-quality stuff. Like if you needed to do your entire shop on a budget then you wouldn't go there, if you wanted something particularly nice then you would, and if you just needed a few essentials on the way home then it's fine. But I didn't stay long enough to actually test that.

Yeah that's how I treat it, you can get stuff in there you can't get elsewhere, but if you were trying to get the basics you'd get ripped off.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 23, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

This is a real product. AI future will be amazing.

I feel the producers of this calendar should be done under the trade descriptions act.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking of AI fakes. Shocking breaking story from Fuctifino’s mate.

https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1738594527139553678?s=46

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

it won't really be Christmas till Covid delivers its next variant. :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1738594527139553678?s=46
Well that's just an obvious fake. Too much life in the rest of his face.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

ex-mate. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to Tankies

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I stand corrected then, when I went to it when it was also my closest shop it always seemed dearer on the weekly shop - but that's why I just do Lidl these days. I wonder if there's a difference between the prices in the varying size of store (more volume lower prices sometimes is the case it seems) and ofcourse London vs literally anywhere else. The prices for anything but bare staples was overpriced in comparison. Tesco at the moment seems more expensive than Sainsburys for general items when I compare receipts. I doubt the pricing is identical country wide. I rarely by brand stuff these days (like Sainsburys isn't too expensive if you just buy off brand stuff as well - but it's best to just mix and match Lidl, whichever of the other chains and local markets in many instances to get the best price across the board. I never buy eggs from any of the chains for example.)

I wholly stand by M&S being poo poo save for sometimes having cheap wings and thighs, but the snacks there kinda suck tbh

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 23, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

ex-mate. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to Tankies

Thanks, but no Tanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thebardyspoon posted:

So to be fair to Jedit, they weren't saying that that joke is like or as bad as bombing a hospital, they were saying that defending it by saying it's attacking Jordan with her son as the punchline enabling it and that's fine because she uses her son as a shield (which is Frankie Boyles defense of it apparently, I want to make it clear I don't think it is fine). Jedit's saying that is a similar logic to the one the IDF use in their rhetoric. IE "it's fine to attack someone even if there's collateral damage because they're just that bad". I'm not sure I see the logic in bringing it up however, there's better comparisons to make probably.

Thank you bardy, that is what I was aiming at. oval office though he may be, Boyle's "joke" was of course nothing like as bad as what the IDF are doing and I didn't mean to imply that it was. He's also said that Israel is an apartheid state and is committing genocide, which is points in his favour.

He's still a oval office, though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
love to be a big brain business genius

liz and kwasi were about to press the 'economy good' button, but now we have rishi who won't press it because he doesn't like it when the economy grows and we can pay for things :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dyson: "where's the dry water mum? i want the dry water"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Growth is a dirty word which is why it's all any politician keeps gobbing on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dyson’s hoovers and other products are grotesquely overpriced plastic crap. They have the durability and build quality of cheap Chinese toys. And I say this as someone who was badgered into buying one of his ludicrously expensive hairdryers as a gift last Xmas.