Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is already a thing with retinal implants

So now we know what happened to robocop not long after OCP was taken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

Get old enough to move into an old folk's home, which according to my grandfather, are scorching dens of unalloyed and answered lust, 24 hours a day, undreamed of by even the most imaginative adolescent.

Sarasota FL was the genital wart capital of the USA until the Villages stole the title.

retirees… I grew up in retirement trailer park. there is an awful lot of old people sex.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 02:35 on Dec 27, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Job posting of the future:

Wanted; private live-in javascript developer. Must have 5-10 years experience coding for bio-implants. Firmware experience a plus. Client's property will host the successful candidate in 2 bed 1 bath detached unit. Perks include free drinking water and air conditioning.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Wanted; private live-in javascript developer. Must have 5-10 years experience coding for bio-implants. Firmware experience a plus. Client's property will host the successful candidate in 2 bed 1 bath detached unit. Perks include free drinking water and air conditioning.

This but the successful candidate will be living in the closet under the stairs. BYO mattress and sleeping bag.

It will seem like a good deal because it includes shelter, any form of shelter.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

Yeah the way it's said and what they mean are both bullshit but it wouldn't surprise me if all the financial tricks they've used have hidden a very real loss in actual purchasing power for the wealthy that doesn't involve them just having more than whatever the poor have got and they're actually realizing that regardless of what number they put in front of their name it only buys what people are selling for that number, which is rapidly becoming less and less every day.

Edit: If that article is about like people who make alot of money but aren't rich rich whatever my point still stands. They'll sell out their whip crackers and automators and be surprised when no one comes to replace them at an acceptable price because they didn't have any trained in their sphere of influence.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Dec 27, 2023

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Master of horror.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I shopped at a Toy's R Us last week in person.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SirPablo posted:

I shopped at a Toy's R Us last week in person.

Whoa, we got a time traveler here.

Did you get me that star wars figure I wanted?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Food deserts are an idiotic concept that mostly is used by industry to get fat tax credits to open a store in an area they think might be profitable but isn’t a sure bet

Food deserts are a real thing but when you boil them down to what matters (convenience food predominates, cannot buy produce or ingredients to cook real meals) it ends up describing a lot of white areas and white people do not like that. You cannot reliably shop at Trader Joes to cook meals, their stock in trade is unhealthy convenience food. Don't tell Trader Joes superfans that they live in a food desert, they'll poo poo themselves.

Apr 7, 2003

The real measure of whether you can have good food is time, and middle class communities are just as time-stressed as poor communities nowadays. You can buy a meal from Dollar General to throw in the microwave, you can buy a meal from Walmart to throw in the microwave, you can buy a meal from Trader Joes to throw in the microwave. It's all the same poo poo at the end of the day.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
food deserts are real?? they happen in ethnic/poor areas. chicago is thinking of running a city grocer to help with the issue

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
especially if poors dont have cars

Apr 7, 2003

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

food deserts are real?? they happen in ethnic/poor areas.

They happen in rich areas too but rich people don't think their nutrient-bare 1200 calorie per serving take-and-bake meals count

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Food deserts are a real thing but when you boil them down to what matters (convenience food predominates, cannot buy produce or ingredients to cook real meals) it ends up describing a lot of white areas and white people do not like that. You cannot reliably shop at Trader Joes to cook meals, their stock in trade is unhealthy convenience food. Don't tell Trader Joes superfans that they live in a food desert, they'll poo poo themselves.

Lmfao you could not be more wrong. The concept of a food desert is grocery store corporations looking for public subsidies to build stores in areas that are marginal but might be profitable but they aren’t certain enough to want to pull the trigger

On the list of reasons that people in very poor communities don’t home cook healthy meals on a nightly basis (which is actually false to begin with, plenty do), and the ones who don’t it’s because 1. they don’t own pots and pans and cooking implements, 2. they are the product of intergenerational trauma who never got taught how to prepare food by their parents or at school, 3. they spend so much time commuting to and from and at lovely abusive employment that they don’t have the energy or bandwidth to bother with making an extra stop at the grocery store and then also doing the work 4. the appliances in their rental don’t work, or the utilities are off because :america: 5. on a simple calories to effort and cost basis lovely food makes more sense in the short term

None, absolutely none, of these issues are solved by giving Safeway a massive property tax break to open a new store on the very gentrifying edge of the area that’s been deemed a food desert

People move around fine. For work, for fun, for family obligations, the poorest people in LA and Memphis and Chicago and other places food deserts are a huge cause, they can figure out how to get around town. It’s not the specific location of the corporate food retailer, it’s just fifty other things we’d rather not address

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Dec 27, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
being able to get food without a car is basically impossible for 90% of america already and if you have a car you can always drive further away to get food. a food desert sort of implies getting food without a car, so 90% of america is a food desert in that case.

Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmfao you could not be more wrong. The concept of a food desert is grocery store corporations looking for public subsidies to build stores in areas that are marginal but might be profitable but they aren’t certain enough to want to pull the trigger

On the list of reasons that people in very poor communities don’t home cook healthy meals on a nightly basis is actually false to begin with, plenty do, and the ones who don’t it’s because 1. they don’t own pots and pans and cooking implements, 2. they are the product of intergenerational trauma who never got taught how to prepare food by their parents or at school, 3. they spend so much time commuting to and from and at lovely abusive employment that they don’t have the energy or bandwidth to bother with making an extra stop at the grocery store and then also doing the work 4 the appliances in their rental don’t work, or the utilities are off because :america: 5 on a simple calories to effort and cost basis lovely food makes more sense in the short term

None, absolutely none, of these issues are solved by giving Safeway a massive property tax break to open a new store on the very gentrifying edge of the area that’s been deemed a food desert

People move around fine. For work, for fun, for family obligations, the poorest people in LA and Memphis and Chicago and other places food deserts are a huge cause, they can figure out how to get around town. It’s not the specific location of the corporate food retailer, it’s just fifty other things we’d rather not address

You are rebutting an argument I didn't make

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You are rebutting an argument I didn't make

Actually yeah after rereading it I think it’s possible I did, but my point stands so I’m not sorry

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Last I looked, the definition of food desert was specifically about whether stores with a certain amount of fresh fruits and vegetables was located in the area. It didn't matter if anyone bought the fresh vegetables, or that frozen ones might be available for a reasonable price at other stores.

More reasonably priced, large selection stores are always better but it does seem like the stories are always about whole foods opening and closing rather than an Aldi, so I suspect the lobbying for tax breaks is a real thing.

Heck, a lot of Chicago didn't have Walmarts for ages, to protect local businesses, but that's a store that would have been affordable for groceries. It's just not a politically palatable one.

Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Actually yeah after rereading it I think it’s possible I did, but my point stands is I’m not sorry

You're not wrong and I agree with what you're posting. I'm just saying that from my POV a food desert is a lot more than just a poor (non-white) neighborhood and white people don't like admitting that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

90sgamer posted:

Tesla robot ATTACKS an engineer at company's Texas factory during violent malfunction - leaving 'trail of blood' and forcing workers to hit emergency shutdown button

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...own-button.html

Just like in the movies

do you think they’ll make one of those cool 3d safety movies detailing “what went wrong” about it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

On the list of reasons that people in very poor communities don’t home cook healthy meals on a nightly basis (which is actually false to begin with, plenty do), and the ones who don’t it’s because 1. they don’t own pots and pans and cooking implements, 2. they are the product of intergenerational trauma who never got taught how to prepare food by their parents or at school, 3. they spend so much time commuting to and from and at lovely abusive employment that they don’t have the energy or bandwidth to bother with making an extra stop at the grocery store and then also doing the work 4. the appliances in their rental don’t work, or the utilities are off because :america: 5. on a simple calories to effort and cost basis lovely food makes more sense in the short term

wrong! didnt read

Apr 7, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

Last I looked, the definition of food desert was specifically about whether stores with a certain amount of fresh fruits and vegetables was located in the area. It didn't matter if anyone bought the fresh vegetables, or that frozen ones might be available for a reasonable price at other stores.

More reasonably priced, large selection stores are always better but it does seem like the stories are always about whole foods opening and closing rather than an Aldi, so I suspect the lobbying for tax breaks is a real thing.

Heck, a lot of Chicago didn't have Walmarts for ages, to protect local businesses, but that's a store that would have been affordable for groceries. It's just not a politically palatable one.

Walmart ain't good though, that's the thing, their produce blows and produce is fundamental to creating a decent food environment

You're better off with a small community asian or latino grocery than you are with a Walmart.

Apr 7, 2003

You cannot have a good food environment without good vegetables. They are the base of the pyramid of a good diet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pickles are a vegetable

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I love tomatoes in the winter.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
its one kind of vegetable ACTUALLY

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

You cannot have a good food environment without good vegetables. They are the base of the pyramid of a good diet.

*Waves a $1.09 12oz steamable bag of frozen great value mixed vegetables at you*.

The sad thing is that bag was like 80 cents a few years ago

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i only eat out of season vegetables from the opposite side of the planet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't the food pyramid outed as an op by the big food manufacturers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Pickles are a vegetable

yup. marinara sauce is also a vegetable

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tobacco is a vegetable

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

i only eat out of season vegetables from the opposite side of the planet

My last girlfriend was a vegan and I very shittily said this exact thing to her in our big breakup fight and yeah

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't the food pyramid outed as an op by the big food manufacturers

mama mia 👌

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its just common sense that half of your calories should come from saltine crackers.

Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My last girlfriend was a vegan and I very shittily said this exact thing to her in our big breakup fight and yeah

was she hot

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

et tu?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bedpan posted:

tobacco is a vegetable

The best you can eat

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I think so, but not as hot as container shipping is gonna make the planet!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lol