Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Black Sunshine posted:

If you don't believe that a player should be in the Hall of Fame despite being literally the best ever at his position then you suck

What if the player never plays a snap because he's actually a janitor? What then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

We should make a Hall of Very Goon.

We’re already listing Ravens fullbacks in the AFCN thread

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

If you don't believe that a player should be in the Hall of Fame despite being literally the best ever at his position then you suck

Long snapper was brought up earlier, I don't care how good you might be as a long snapper I don't think you should be in the hall.

Do you think the best gunner ever should be in? That's basically the special teams opposite of best punt returner.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Kawalimus a fake fan. Ovie Mughelli way too low on his list.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

tarbrush posted:

Hester is contentious (I think there is room for precisely one of each K, P, returner and STer, provided they're obviously the best ever to do it).

so if there's a new best ever kicker/punter/returner, the one currently in the hall gets thrown out and replaced with the new best ever?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Counterpoint: Marshall Yanda will go in first ballot.

this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

pasaluki posted:

Peak Great Value brand off-season posting and sperging while the gd Detroit Lions won the NFC North and the Browns are sinking teams with Joe Flacco.

Yes, more people should be talking about how the Detroit Lions are cool and good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hope we get an updated GLC song for the Super Bowl

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHsSHAWpFw

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My mom called to see if I was okay.

I'm 600 feet above sea level at my current location. If a 600 foot wave hits Los Angeles you will hear about it, mom.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm obviously biased as I'm a Bears fan but I think its perfectly reasonable to put players in the Hall of Fame even if they maybe didn't provide as much raw total value as a regular position player. Other halls of fame do this too with other specialized positions - if you judged a reliever by the same criteria as any starting pitcher, no HOF reliever would stack up an average HOF starting pitcher in raw value because they play significantly fewer innings. So obviously some positional adjustment is appropriate, and I think its entirely appropriate to have "representatives" from each position (excepting...perhaps long snapper) that is the best at that position. Hester is clearly the best all-around returner in NFL history.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 29, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Proposal: there can be one slot for each position player, but it isn't forever. You're the best long snapper until you aren't then your statute gets tossed in the trash to make room for the new guy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm obviously biased as I'm a Bears fan but I think its perfectly reasonable to put players in the Hall of Fame even if they maybe didn't provide as much raw total value as a regular position player. Other halls of fame do this too with other specialized positions - if you judged a reliever by the same criteria as any starting pitcher, no HOF reliever would stack up an average HOF starting pitcher in raw value because they play significantly fewer innings. So obviously some positional adjustment is appropriate, and I think its entirely appropriate to have "representatives" from each position (excepting...perhaps long snapper) that is the best at that position. Hester is clearly the best all-around returner in NFL history.

Agreed

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

I'm 600 feet above sea level at my current location. If a 600 foot wave hits Los Angeles you will hear about it, mom.

That sounds like some supervillain level poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah I come from it from the relief pitcher thinking. Is Mariano Riveria a HOF pitcher? How about designated hitter David Ortiz?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Papercut posted:

Long snapper was brought up earlier, I don't care how good you might be as a long snapper I don't think you should be in the hall.

Do you think the best gunner ever should be in? That's basically the special teams opposite of best punt returner.

I personally wouldn't care if a long snapper got in, provided that they're considered the best to ever do that job. For the sake of argument, I can see a pushback against a long snapper or gunner because teams don't literally poo poo themselves at the prospect of having said long snapper or gunner on the field. Teams absolutely and universally poo poo themselves at the mere thought of Hester returning a kick and routinely gave up valuable field position to prevent that from happening so I'd say his case is much stronger for HOF consideration than those other positions.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

C-Euro posted:

Yes, more people should be talking about how the Detroit Lions are cool and good.

I heard Dan Campbell on moving the chains talking about how they don't want to become complacent at just making it to the playoffs.

Goff has been to the SB once, but I imagine they don't have a lot of players with playoff experience. But they are starting to get some players back. Gardner-Johnson won't play against Dallas but might be able to play in the playoffs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I still can't get over nearly being in the year 2024 and having a Browns/Lions Super Bowl being an actually decent possibility.

Are we back in the 1950's?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I'm okay with the Browns going to the Superbowl, and getting crushed by the Lions, ONLY because it'll create a massive shitstorm at QB next year when Watson continues to suck and Flacco is probably just chilling at home playing that Demolition Man pinball machine in his basement not giving a gently caress about anything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread sorry it was in regards to this

kiimo posted:

Cross posting from the LA thread surf's up

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1740590723584672074

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
why would you just stand there and watch when the water has receded that far

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Toaster Beef posted:

why would you just stand there and watch when the water has receded that far

Believe it or not, but a lot of people don’t k ow how the ocean works. Especially tourists from the middle of the country.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I still can't get over nearly being in the year 2024 and having a Browns/Lions Super Bowl being an actually decent possibility.

Are we back in the 1950's?

a Browns - Lions Super Bowl would own because: It would be two of the most storied franchises meeting (and I believe neither of them have been to a Super Bowl?) and a Cleveland-Detroit playing is peak Midwest supremacy. God bless. Do not forget our beloved Rust Belt!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I bet every one of them had horror scenes from various tsunamis running through their minds

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Edit; covered

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Hall of Very Good tier wave, big deal

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Gunner, Jammer and other ST roles are not typically fixed positions except in extremely rare circumstances, so I don't think it really applies

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
The cause of that wave? Joe Flacco.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doltos posted:

Moore returned a few kicks earlier in his career but I doubt the Bears want to risk injuring their main trade piece from the last offseason. I don't exactly think their season was on the line since they need a lot of certain things to happen to make the playoffs even if they won that game.

You think the Jets would have suddenly beat Cleveland if they put Garrett Wilson in? Also didn't Xavier Gipson have a bunch of decent to good returns?
no, because I don't think there's one weird trick to kick returns that teams are too scared to try
(Kickers hate him)

quote:

What does your third question even mean?[\quote]
It means that if I'm only allowed to dress so many guys why am I wasting one on the job that anyone can do?
[Quote] Teams carry a bunch of WRs and DBs naturally for formations and just stick one of them or a RB in at returner. I don't think the position is as impactful as you think it is. Hester had 19 return TDs over 156 games. He averaged 11 yards a punt and 24 yards a return per game. Yeah people kicked away from him, but none of these things really completely change a game. Nor does it really warrant risking good players in the position which is why, again, for the history of the NFL, good returners become regular fixtures on offense or defense. There's a reason why Cordarelle is better, and it's not just because he's a better returner too.
What you're saying here is that every single kickoff. EVERY ONE the Bears got fifteen free, no risk, yards because the ball would be on the 40 instead of the 25 and you think that doesn't changed a game?
Also that's only 15 and not 20 because Hester was so good at what he did that they changed the rules for everyone.
If a guy changes the game forever because he's too good at his position he deserves to be in the hall, simple as.
Every stadium in all of football had to be repainted because of him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The337th posted:

Hall of Very Good tier wave, big deal

That wave being inducted into the hof will hurt deion tsunamis feelings.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pasaluki posted:

Peak Great Value brand off-season posting and sperging while the gd Detroit Lions won the NFC North and the Browns are sinking teams with Joe Flacco.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Devin Hester to Deion Sanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbYxEXM2cE

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Also, has there ever been a case where you can say a Super Bowl contestant wouldn't have been there if not for their kick returner? And not just because of one clutch performance in a close game, but because of routine dominance? Hall of famer, no question.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Ravens and Dolphins would have to play starters. Ravens to win the division and to potentially land the 1 seed. Dolphins to secure the 1 seed. The Bills, would have no reason to play their starters. Even with a win they would be a game behind the Dolphins and the Browns. They couldn't even move from 6 seed to 5 seed. That makes the likelihood of a Bills win week 18 real low. Which makes Miami/Baltimore basically the only important variable for who gets number 1.

Buffalo can miss the playoffs at 10-7, they'll be playing starters at Miami unless every Wild Card rival loses this week.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Punt and kick returners are pulled from a population of players deemed bad enough at other roles that it is acceptable for them to get hurt returning kicks, as seen when Hester played WR. They are not the best at it relative to all other players, just the ones who would/could be best at it are often already playing another position seen as more valuable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hester owned because he was still elite at his role while keeping safe other Bears offensive superstars such as

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isn’t Hester the only player in NFL history have a rushing, receiving, and return TD in one game?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Punt and kick returners are pulled from a population of players deemed bad enough at other roles that it is acceptable for them to get hurt returning kicks, as seen when Hester played WR. They are not the best at it relative to all other players, just the ones who would/could be best at it are often already playing another position seen as more valuable.

Every non-QB is just someone not good enough to play the most important position therefore they all suck and the Hall of Fame should be QB only. No grandfather clause bullshit, take Jerry Rice's bust and melt that fucker down because he wasn't good enough to be a quarterback.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1740793903392182621?t=yxAxUsKvIncdyB9VPW-VzA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

:gas: