Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

psychopomp posted:

Picking up the game again for the first time since April. Any huge changes I need to know about?

playing matches is still great.

everything else is much much worse if you're P3 complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

Good thing I'm no longer complete on account of missing a bunch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is 100% not true. If you played before Spotlights came in then they are way, way better than the old Token-only system for acquiring cards.

Doubly so if you’re not S3 complete since you can actually collect and play with some of the new stuff rather than just staring at it in the shop all day while you sit on 400 Collectors Tokens.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Blob is such a boring card to play against. It has so much stats that you have no chance of contesting it. You either have a tech card to deal with him or you lose.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

psychopomp posted:

Picking up the game again for the first time since April. Any huge changes I need to know about?

What decks did you like to play? Pretty much every archetype is different outside of Hela (which can be different but I still run the old version just fine)

Spider-Man is a completely different card and Galactus is bigtime reworked

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My favorite decks were control, but I was also fond of Hit Monkey Bounce, Cerebro 2, Tox + gobbos, Modoc.

Skippy McPants posted:

This is 100% not true. If you played before Spotlights came in then they are way, way better than the old Token-only system for acquiring cards.

Doubly so if you’re not S3 complete since you can actually collect and play with some of the new stuff rather than just staring at it in the shop all day while you sit on 400 Collectors Tokens.

What's Spotlights?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

psychopomp posted:

My favorite decks were control, but I was also fond of Hit Monkey Bounce, Cerebro 2, Tox + gobbos, Modoc.

What's Spotlights?

Hit Monkey is pretty dead but bounce isn't, the other ones you can definitely still play with

Now instead of a S4/5 every 50 caches or w/e, you get keys where you can get a random shot of 3 series 4/5 cards (usually including one new one and two older ones) or a random one. If the random one rolls a duplicate, you get 1000 tokens instead. If you already have one of the older ones, you get a special variant/avatar for it instead. https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-spotlight-cache-january-2024/ has the January ones

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

psychopomp posted:

What's Spotlights?

now every 120 collection levels you get a spotlight key that lets you gamble on a weekly rotating shot at
- the week's new card or their special variant
- two other P4/5 cards SD selects or their special variant
- an unknown random P4/5 card. if you have already it, instead you get 1000 tokens

there are now 3 more currencies than when you played - keys, tickets, medals and they've reduced the drop rate on the useful stuff aka tokens.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, I was messing around with the auto-decks and ended up with a fun Black Widow one of all things.

# (1) Korg
# (2) Shadow King
# (2) Zabu
# (2) Jeff the Baby Land Shark
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Black Widow
# (3) Rockslide
# (4) Darkhawk
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Iron Lad
# (5) Iron Man
# (6) Doctor Doom
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGFya2hhd2sifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlJvY2tzbGlkZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS29yZyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiWmFidSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSXJvbkxhZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTXlzdGlxdWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRyRG9vbSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hhbmdDaGkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkplZmZUaGVCYWJ5TGFuZFNoYXJrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFkb3dLaW5nIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJJcm9uTWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJCbGFja1dpZG93In1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

I probably want to swap out Doom for a punchier 6 card, but honestly dropping some combination of Mystique/Shang-Chi/Rockslide or Shadow King is usually more satisfying to lock down the final round.

Also, this almost wants me to try and cash in a key for the Iron Lad variant, but I've been holding off.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CJ posted:

Blob is such a boring card to play against. It has so much stats that you have no chance of contesting it. You either have a tech card to deal with him or you lose.

It's a pain in the rear end. He is so much bigger than any other "big" threat for no good reason. You can still win a lane against a HE Hulk or an Infinaut if you're playing a deck built to output power, but Blob? Nope. Get hosed.

Looking forward to his inevitable rework.

psychopomp posted:

What's Spotlights?

Other's have outlined the system, but the really notable thing about it is how much more quickly it allows you to build your collection. Under the previous Tokens-only system, it cost roughly $300 per month to get every new card upon release. Now that's down to about $50/mo. Also, FTP folks acquire enough Spotlight Caches to pick up, on average 60% of new cards, and players who buy only the Season Pass get 85% of new cards.

It's still a game rife with predatory microtransaction bullshit, but it's no longer a "whales only" game at the high end. People who spend $10/mo for the season pass can easily keep up and nab the vast majority of meta-defining cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

While I'm whining. I really don't like the weekly Win 8 Games With the Season Pass Card missions. That is an unreasonable number of games to win for a card I might hate. Wish it was 4 games.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

We've had three weeks in a row of win 8 games with Shaw which is loving assssss

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

it was easier to get that when I was still limited to Pool 2 :negative:

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Yeah, Shaw sucks. I cheated and used him in a Panther Zola deck.

# (1) Nico Minoru
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (2) Medusa
# (2) Mister Sinister
# (2) America Chavez
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Nakia
# (3) Sebastian Shaw
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Black Panther
# (6) Arnim Zola
# (6) Odin
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQXJuaW1ab2xhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJCbGFja1BhbnRoZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yU2luaXN0ZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1lZHVzYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTmFraWEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik5pY29NaW5vcnUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNlYmFzdGlhblNoYXcifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Iklyb25oZWFydCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2hpdGVRdWVlbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTmlnaHRjcmF3bGVyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbWVyaWNhQ2hhdmV6In1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's a good card, but he basically only goes in Surfer which is a deck I'm pretty lukewarm on, and I know I'm going to hate next month's Season Pass quests because it's a 6/11 (-2 cost for every 10+ power card you have in play) and I hate the boring Play Big Dudes on Curve decks.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Under the previous Tokens-only system, it cost roughly $300 per month to get every new card upon release. Now that's down to about $50/mo.

can you describe how to do this on ~$50/month?

$40 in gold is about 3000 gold not counting the one time double bonus.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'd wager the logic is Season Pass + whatever shop bundles give the best cash-to-credits ratio over 30 days.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Shaw is alright in Sera Control, which is pretty good in the current meta. I cleared the weekend mission in about 12 games last night.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Seeing as how I'm jumping in at the end of the season, is it worth slapping down $10 for Shaw?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

psychopomp posted:

Seeing as how I'm jumping in at the end of the season, is it worth slapping down $10 for Shaw?

If you can hit 50 on the season pass otherwise I’d wait

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

psychopomp posted:

Unless you’re planning on grinding hard over the next three days to get to level 50 on the pass, I’d say wait for Tuesday.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When do they make season pass cards available to everyone? Ms Marvel seems to be in every deck right now, i don't remember seeing her in a spotlight.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CJ posted:

When do they make season pass cards available to everyone? Ms Marvel seems to be in every deck right now, i don't remember seeing her in a spotlight.

there's no set schedule as far as I know.

she's not on the schedule through end of February so barring a change it'll be march at the earliest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CJ posted:

Season Pass cards drop to S5 immediately as the season ends. Anyone with 6k tokens who saw her in their shop could have her.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Went from 80-90 with this today. Will try for Infinite tomorrow. Seems like 8-11AM EST is when the autopilot Ms Marvel lockdown types roll out of bed. Apparently a lot of people don't realize Professor X is Ongoing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CJ posted:

You can buy her with tokens right now, I did for a C5 deck

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Oof, greyscale Hellfire Thor is my least favorite variant so far. But, on the plus side I picked up the Hipp Luke Cage so I can't complain.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I used to really like Inked variants but over time I've kind of cooled off on them. On the other hand I used to think the goldfoil looked terrible and now I love those so maybe I'm just living in phases

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Broke into Pool 3 and my first two drops were Mister Negative and Doc Oc. Seems like two very niche options.

Naturally I immediately looked up a Negative Deck with pool 1/2 stuff and started playing it. I'm not convinced it's good (at least not with solely early pool cards) but it's hilarious and pretty fun to play so I'm fine with that.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Other's have outlined the system, but the really notable thing about it is how much more quickly it allows you to build your collection. Under the previous Tokens-only system, it cost roughly $300 per month to get every new card upon release. Now that's down to about $50/mo. Also, FTP folks acquire enough Spotlight Caches to pick up, on average 60% of new cards, and players who buy only the Season Pass get 85% of new cards.

It's still a game rife with predatory microtransaction bullshit, but it's no longer a "whales only" game at the high end. People who spend $10/mo for the season pass can easily keep up and nab the vast majority of meta-defining cards.

yea i'm gonna have to hard disagree with you here... free players are def. not "easily" keeping up grabbing all of the best cards, esp. not under this predatory gacha bs system they've put in place.

basically if you're coming back, you need to bank four spotlight keys and then decide on a week that you want the card(s) for. that's the only way for you to guarantee you'll get the card(s) you want and have some measure of progress. any other week if you have less than four, there is a real risk that you don't end up getting the card(s) you want at all, and could wind up with something far worse (a lovely variant or 1k tokens).

realistically if you are playing pretty often and completing your missions, there'll be one week during a month where you can open up boxes to get what you want. you can risk the other weeks if you really want to, but the disappointments, failures, and frustrations have been well documented at this point.

they don't give out gold anymore, so that's now become the most premium currency. tokens are dripped out in the smallest chunks possible (100). they tried to get away with just 50 but even that was too much for the whales to stomach so it's been so graciously "doubled" to 100. to save up enough tokens to buy a new card will be months (s4 cards cost 3k, and s5 cost 6k). you also have to pick a good one and get lucky because they have been just deleting cards through updates for the past few months now and there are no refunds. regular lootboxes now give out less pool three cards, and are filled with more useless poo poo (titles, avatars, etc.).

they have also started actively watering down and devaluing the bundles by changing them from what's been datamined so you can't really plan spending your resources around buying a particular bundle because if it's a "good value" they'll likely gut it (which they have been successfully doing for the past two months).

even then, if you have enough credits to upgrade a card, you're still limited by yet another poo poo mechanic (needing boosters, yet another currency, which are card specific) to make progress and level up. all so you'll need to spend even more money. it's quite sad because while all their systems suck (card acquisition, more and more currency bloat, etc.) the actual gameplay is quite good.

buying the season pass is still one of the best value things you can do for $10 but they really are trying their best to squeeze every last dollar out of you, and they're not being very shy about it.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

Kooriken posted:

I used to really like Inked variants but over time I've kind of cooled off on them. On the other hand I used to think the goldfoil looked terrible and now I love those so maybe I'm just living in phases

My favorite thing about Snap is that the more you play with a card, the prettier it gets. I am lucky enough to have 5 gold foil Galactus already so I’m stoked for that leaked deep space background effect, I’m sure it’ll be my next one. I like it when I get a good Kirby crackle that compliments the card art, too, so I feel the same as you. A lot of detail is lost in Ink finish so I prefer the gold.

I do wish there were a better way to directly share and compare your collection, but I don’t know how interested other people would be in that. It would be a cool clan feature, since they were talking about adding social functions anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know people are down on Shaw Surfer but it can compete with InSheNaut to a degree

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Last King posted:

yea i'm gonna have to hard disagree with you here... free players are def. not "easily" keeping up grabbing all of the best cards, esp. not under this predatory gacha bs system they've put in place.

I didn't say FTP players were keeping up, I said Season Pass players are keeping up. FTP is stuck on ~60% of new cards, which no, is not gonna be enough to keep pace with all the new meta cards, but they can build toward several decks of their choice, which is still way, way, way better than the old system where FTP didn't get to play the meta at all because they got maybe one new card per month.

And I also said agreed that the system was still bad and predatory. Just because the progression is much better than when psychopomp last played doesn't mean it's perfect now, or even good.

Fate Accomplice posted:

By not buying raw gold from the shop. ~$50/mo is a rough aggregate that accounts for money spent on the Season Pass and high-value (175-200% currency) bundles.

If you want the math breakdown, professional salt miner, Jeff Hoogland, made a good video unpacking the endgame economy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C996nZpPxBk

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know people are down on Shaw Surfer but it can compete with InSheNaut to a degree

It's a good deck, I just find it boring and am sick to death of playing it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 31, 2023

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I stink with Shaw Surfer decks, so I'm glad this season is ending soon. I'm not sure if the new season pass will be any better though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Skaar seems kind of poo poo

I can see him slotting into InSheNaut but that requirement seems kind of rough

Like you pretty much have to get She-Hulk out early for it to work well

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Looking over my final haul for the month, I'm not too upset. But of course I got 4 pixel variants and pixel Okoye Avatar.

Outside of the Hipp variants, I think I like Leisure World Professor X best.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Skaar seems kind of poo poo

I can see him slotting into InSheNaut but that requirement seems kind of rough

Like you pretty much have to get She-Hulk out early for it to work well

I think Skaar is going to live inside of a Lockjaw shell. Probably with Thanos if I had to guess. Shang-Chi gonna be eating good while people figure it out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I may throw him in Thanos Blob

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Didn't see this here yet but the next two collection albums got leaked: Pixel X-Men and Steampunk. Details here: https://snap.fan/news/merry-christmas-leak-time/

Somehow out of the 29 Pixels I have only one is an X-man, and I have zero Steampunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skaar is kinda whatever. The big stunner next week will be if Caiera goes live as datamined. The "Play Big Idiots" strategy is already a huge chunk of the meta. Not looking forward to a world where Blob, Infinaut, and the Hulks are all Shang-proof.

I very much hope she gets revised to only protect 1-cost cards.