Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

josh04 posted:

different, much smaller ship

Does the novelization make that distinction? I do remember seeing the Netflix SDH subtitles labeling the ship as The King's Gaze, but I also thought it was a different ship at thee nd so I was confused lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After Nobel kills king Levitica he tells the King's Gaze to finish up turning the planet to ash while he goes ahead to collect his prisons after getting a message from Kai. He states this as he boards the dropship with the massive explosions going on in the background.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Verisimilidude posted:

So that was just a random ship? is the main ship just not in the picture at the end of the movie at all?

It was like a shuttlecraft of the main ship

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

After Nobel kills king Levitica he tells the King's Gaze to finish up turning the planet to ash while he goes ahead to collect his prisons after getting a message from Kai. He states this as he boards the dropship with the massive explosions going on in the background.

Did Netflix muck up the subtitle then?

The ship looks physically different, which is why I was confused when I saw the subtitle. I thought to myself that ship looks too small to be the King's Gaze lol.

[edit] Yeah, that gunner station/pod is nowhere on this full shot of The King's Gaze

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 29, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

teagone posted:

Did Netflix muck up the subtitle then?

This is literally why I thought it was the big main ship lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh yeah, they definitely mucked up the subtitles.

Comedy option: all ships are named King's Gaze.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, that seems like a gently caress-up. The King's Gaze is absolutely huge, aside from anything else.

Will say because it came up a few times earlier in the thread, the book suggests/confirms that The King's Gaze is just one dreadnought rather than the only dreadnought.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The King's Gaze is supposed to be 2 km and half long.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's also v small compared to the vagina it came out of in the beginning of the film.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not sure if it was posted yet but part 2’s trailer was released

https://youtu.be/Cf16jEmvJUY?si=clqhvKmGJZE0cSdq

Sincere question - is this part 2 is also going to be super chopped up with the promise of a director's cut in the future? And if so, why would anyone even feel compelled to watch it instead of waiting?

Is the plan for there be the Part 1 chopped up current release, chopped up part 2 in April, directors cut part 1 in summer, and then a later - maybe winter '24 - director's cut part 2?

It feels like everything surrounding these films from the marketing to the releases to the discourse itself is incredibly loving stupid.

I can't help but feel like Netflix is poisoning the well with how they're doing this. This first release is clearly, from the words of both fans and non-fans, incredibly compromised. So why would people tune in for anything more? "Lets put out the inferior version first. This will make people want to see an inferior sequel while waiting for the 'true' vision."

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mordiceius posted:

Sincere question - is this part 2 is also going to be super chopped up with the promise of a director's cut in the future? And if so, why would anyone even feel compelled to watch it instead of waiting?

Is the plan for there be the Part 1 chopped up current release, chopped up part 2 in April, directors cut part 1 in summer, and then a later - maybe winter '24 - director's cut part 2?

It feels like everything surrounding these films from the marketing to the releases to the discourse itself is incredibly loving stupid.

It seems like this is the intention. My cynical take is it was marketed to Netflix as potentially 6 movies, 3 originals and 3 directors cuts (which would be much cheaper to produce), double-dipping the viewer base and doubling the chances of bringing in new viewers when Netflix pushes the movie via autoplay again several months after the initial release.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's just what netflix wanted to do and it is, indeed, really dumb. Every single instance of Zack Snyder's director's cuts, that I've seen, have been improvements by some measurement. In the case of Justice League it was vastly superior. Batman v Superman has its theatrical cut defenders but we don't talk about them in these topics. There's an interview with the writer now saying that it was supposed to be just one big, long epic of a film. Snyder shot it was one film but that may have been just editorializing much like they shot all of Lord of the Rings at once so you can say they "shot it like one film" and have some editor misunderstand what they meant.

But I'd watch a 6 hour cut of Rebel Moon with an intermission in the middle. It's definitely one they should put on a disc. Streaming just can't match what you see on a 4k disc.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It is such a fascinatingly stupid idea and I can't help but feel like the entire thing is going to backfire spectacularly. First impressions are so goddamn important - especially when it comes to film media.

Critically speaking, this film is not being very well received. Even here, the reception is contentious at best. Most people do not keep up on entertainment news of stuff like "oh, this is a PG-13 cut and the 'true' vision director's cut will come out next summer." Hell, I didn't even know that when the film released.

I would suspect that a large percentage of people are going to watch this and be like "eh... it's not that great" and then when the sequel comes out, they'll just skip it entirely. I doubt a director's cut will pull them back. As I mentioned, the well has already been poisoned.

Hell, I'm not opposed to directors cuts that "fix" a theatrical version that was pushed by a studio, but usually that's something that comes way latter and isn't part of the studio's original marketing/release plan.

Everything about how this is being managed is so incredibly loving stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's tough to speculate exactly what they were thinking, but it's looking like Netflix execs are still treating their PG cut as a single film despite releasing it in two parts.

If you're a dumbass who wants to reduce a six-hour runtime by two hours, you could rationalize slashing all the characterization for the supporting characters now, because they'll get things to do in the second half. If they'd released everything simultaneously, this might've seemed like just a hiccup in the narrative.

Like, BVS's theatrical cut had obvious "SCENE MISSING" moments, but it worked decently well because the ending was intact.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/DaveSFoley/status/1740599517962199154?s=20

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verisimilidude posted:

This is literally why I thought it was the big main ship lol

Yeah I was confused by this too.

Also, earlier in the film (I think in the squid kings room) someone says something like "you want this little group to go up against the kings gaze?" And I thought it was a metaphor, not the actual name of the ship in question. Noble spells it out explicitly later and I did a head slap.

The drop ship crashes not because the window breaks but because the rebel guy with his dying breath leans on a joystick on the command console, which I guess is the only one in the ship with no way to override.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Wow Dave Foley stealing a goons observation(maybe the goon stole it from a review?)?! Reveal yourself Mr foley!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i can't tell what layer of irony everyone is on but for the benefit of anyone else who isn't deeply familiar with voice actors, Dave Foley is the voice of Flik the Ant

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's gonna be funny when the final cut is released and it doesn't contain any additional characterisation or things that were missing but it contains an extra hour of griffons or sweaty pecs I dunno I haven't seen this one yet.

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

I want the rebel moon equivalent of that

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 29, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

josh04 posted:

Yeah, that seems like a gently caress-up. The King's Gaze is absolutely huge, aside from anything else.

Will say because it came up a few times earlier in the thread, the book suggests/confirms that The King's Gaze is just one dreadnought rather than the only dreadnought.

Yeah I assumed there were multiple dreadnaughts so the path of total revolution seems not possible for these films at least. I assume second movie will just be about beating one somehow. Then franchise!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's gonna be funny when the final cut is released and it doesn't contain any additional characterisation or things that were missing but it contains an extra hour of griffons or sweaty pecs I dunno I haven't seen this one yet.

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

the main thing i'm expecting is that it's going to be red meat to the 'unnecessary sex scenes' crowd

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

checkplease posted:

Yeah I assumed there were multiple dreadnaughts so the path of total revolution seems not possible for these films at least. I assume second movie will just be about beating one somehow. Then franchise!

I basically assume they beat one and then another dreadnaught shows up and blows up the rebel moon.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

josh04 posted:

the main thing i'm expecting is that it's going to be red meat to the 'unnecessary sex scenes' crowd

Not a fan of this regression to being a bunch of puritans over sex in media. Those marvel movies are the most sexless things ever produced and it positioned far too many people to think like this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I definitely think putting Martian Manhunter in that spot was a wrong headed move (and I think even a lot of Snyder purists agree) but at the very least it doesn't take away Lois's characterization, and having Diane Lane make a "thirsty young reporter" joke is negative characterization, so at the very least it's a wash for Martha and a net positive for Lois.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I was chatting with someone about this very thing in the CineD discord - about theoretical shorter cuts like a 3 hour cut or a 214 minute cut he said he had and I brought up that scene for something I'd cut if I were trimming the film towards one of those theoretical versions. It's the only part I dislike about Snyder's Justice League. The new stuff is a fun little indulgence but in the movie proper that scene was very wrong-headed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm half expecting a bunch of cut establishing shots, the attempted rape scene going much further, and also battles twice as long and much, much gorier. And that's it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

Not a fan of this regression to being a bunch of puritans over sex in media. Those marvel movies are the most sexless things ever produced and it positioned far too many people to think like this.

It’s bc of two things. Me too, and kids watching movies with their parents not realizing they can watch Oppenheimer by themselves

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm half expecting a bunch of cut establishing shots, the attempted rape scene going much further, and also battles twice as long and much, much gorier. And that's it.

According to a recent interview with Snyder, the extended cut will have a completely different opening focused entirely on Nobel.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Worse for female characterization, or better for genderfluid characterization?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

teagone posted:

According to a recent interview with Snyder, the extended cut will have a completely different opening focused entirely on Nobel.

The Swedish chemist, inventor, engineer and businessman?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

josh04 posted:

everyone's all "the digital look is too sharp and crisp" until someone actually does something about it

What are you on about, there are lots of directors who use custom lenses to avoid this and don't end up with shots that look like this.

Solus posted:

It's not badly composed

This is fine - I like this effect

However when he fucks the effect up, you get this - She's actively talking in this scene and her face is in focus for every other shot so it doesn't come across as anything intentional

There are parts of the opening scene where the main characters face is slightly out of focus, enough that I notice it and it distracts me. It's not something thats translating that well to a screenshot

Snyder has always liked his thin focal planes and creamy bokeh, but like Nolans weird audio mixing obsession its become a hindrance to their film making as they have become more extreme with its use.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 30, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is something weird and interesting to King Nazi going."my daughter is going to finally put all this nazi poo poo behind us"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Swedish chemist, inventor, engineer and businessman?

Lol, yes. I'm leaving that typo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mega Comrade posted:

What are you on about, there are lots of directors who use custom lenses to avoid this and don't end up with shots that look like this.

I don't think I said he was the only director doing this sort of thing? The point stands, the current trendy moan is that modern cinema (and Netflix productions specifically) is too bound to crisp, clean digital shooting and lacks the more intimate flaws and stylisation of older movies. Even in those examples, there's two shots that look good and one where Sam is approaching from the edge of the frame and out of focus - but when we go back to the shot she's moved into the focal plane with Jimmy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
In that example their hands are in the focus, their faces are not...

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mega Comrade posted:

In that example their hands are in the focus, their faces are not...

Just rewatched this scene. Here the movement is in their hands. Jimmy the robot is playing with the towel in a sign of distress as he recounts some history. The girl, in contrast, is peacefully making the flower crown with her hands from the flower we just saw her pick in the previous shot.

The who scene of the two of them switches focus between them and sometimes the flower depending on what is being emphasized.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Isn't just that with those lens only the center of the scene is on focus?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I believe so, yes. Link

It comes down to personal preference of the look but it's also something that requires a little more effort on our part, as viewers. It's easy to just go "Zack Snyder likes his dumb lenses" or "it's done to capture the look of the 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy/film" but it should be "why is it framed this way and what is the focus on the shot?" Contrary to popular belief, Snyder or any filmmaker puts thought behind each shot and the information they convey. Giving these folks a little benefit of the doubt and accept they know what they're doing is something I think we lost in this age of reactionary youtube videos that are genuinely incurious and rush to judgement or, at least, are very pretentious.

So because these lenses have that aberration effect framing becomes even more important. Why are the hands in focus and the faces are not. Jimmy is a robot with no facial features but Sam is a real person that can emote but what would that contrast be? We can obviously see that he is a faceless robot and she a blooded human. But if we focus on the hands we can tell a story. He fiddles with the towel, which isn't a lot to go on but it draws our attention to them and to his chest, which is in focus and the details inscribed on them. She's not talking but is making a flower laurel - it sets up a pay-off at the end of their conversation. His story is about the death of the princess Issa and how with her death their honor, compassion, kindness and hope died with her. At the end she puts the laurel upon his head tells him she believes all those things live within him, places her hand upon his cheek and it lights up with a warm color. She showed him those very things he thought were all but lost.

It's also worth noting that the lens isn't used in the tight shots. When they move in to focus on their faces during their conversation aberration effect is absent.

It's fair to say that if you're not engaged or interested in the works that you simply don't want to do that - no piece of art deserves your time if you don't want to give it. That said I firmly believe that, in the case of movies, you get more out of them the more you put in them. It's a lot of fun dissecting a scene or sequence and look at the filmmaking, discerning the hows and whys of it all.

This is one of my favorite videos on Man of Steel and all it does is talk about the filmmaking in one scene in that entire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

And it's only 7 minutes and 30 seconds long.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 30, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

There is something weird and interesting to King Nazi going."my daughter is going to finally put all this nazi poo poo behind us"

Bit of a spoiler I guess, but from what I've gathered, King Nazi was very much like the rest of the nazis until his daughter Issa was born. After her birth, he softened considerably, and fully believed Issa would lead them to a more peaceful existence. But the hawkish senate, led primarily by belisarius, didn't like his dovish change of heart. Considering it a betrayal, he put together a plot that got the royal family assassinated, and assumed power. In essence, Issa (arabic for Jesus (lol)) presumably healed the king spiritually, which doomed them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't just that with those lens only the center of the scene is on focus?

Not necessarily the center; Snyder’s lens does have that spot focus, but you can do some pretty wacky stuff by changing the orientation of the lens in relation to the image sensor. It’s entirely possible to have two objects, side-by-side and equidistant from the camera, but only one of them in focus because the plane of focus is no longer parallel with the camera.

Snyder’s custom lens here is pretty similar to the “Deakinizer” used on The Assassination of Jesse James, where they likewise weren’t concerned with keeping everyone’s faces sharp at all times.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 30, 2023