Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kestral posted:

Make them use spell components. D&D is unironically much better when you actually use the rules that people have been desperately trying to forget exist since the late 90s.

The thing about spell components is that either it's just a gold expense to tack on in town or it ends up having to take over the whole party's time as you have to veer for the wizard to get their random items so they can do their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also kind of a point where you might need to define what actual influence from Gundam is meant to look like, given so many of its features have become reused and played with in so many ways. The focus on space colonies and their political relationships with each other and Earth is one thing that's still relatively unique, maybe. The spectacularly insane war crimes that usually provide a turning point in the story and/or define the current conflict are another, and in that case, somewhat spoilery but definitely something Lancer also has, kinda.

The intro and first half of 08th MS Team, so the game is about ground pounders dealing with small unit tactics, incompetent officers, and passing time at the base getting drunk and submitting song lyrics to Radio Free Federation.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The more fantasy games I play, the more I appreciate a system & setting where magic cast entirely through consumable items or a few rare reusable magic items. Thinking of games like Knave, Mörk Borg, or Cairn where all spells are found in books or scrolls that can only be found in the dungeons, take up inventory space, and are immediately consumed after use. Without magic use as a built-in character feature, magic in the setting becomes something you can do, rather than something that defines who you are.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

The intro and first half of 08th MS Team, so the game is about ground pounders dealing with small unit tactics, incompetent officers, and passing time at the base getting drunk and submitting song lyrics to Radio Free Federation.

That's just the army tho.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

That's just the army tho.

08th MS Team takes a lot of inspiration for its first half's from that specific kind of soldier's memoir. This gives it a very specific kind of mood and focus that is somewhat atypical of the space opera of much of the rest of the series. So if you pick 08th MS Team as your principal Gundam inspiration, you end up with something that is undeniably inspired by a Gundam show, yet clearly not what most people would associate with a Gundam-like TTRPG.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MS IGLOO ttrpg where you play as a test team for ridiculously gimmick mecha wunderwaffen

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Basically all the stuff that used to be speedbumps for caster has been sanded away. I remember absolutely deflating a guy once that was arguing that all you had to do in 3e to curb wizards was "just don't give them the power spells all the time!". Genuinely wouldn't believe that wizards in 3e just picked two spells for free every level gain until he saw the screenshot.
The hoops casters needed to jump through (find a scroll and not cast it, spend rakeloads of cash to use class abilities you already spent character resources on, whatever the gently caress was up with that whole druid hierarchy thing) were annoying, so they went away.
The hoops martials needed to jump through (get cool items and consume cool consumables) were fun, so they were left intact and made available across the board.
So now the martials still needs to jump through hoops to reach their former power level, while casters are at max power by default and are free to layer the fun booster hoops on top.
Road to hell, good intentions, yadda yadda

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Ah, a mecha game in the sense that it has giant robot fights, not in the sense that it has masked antiheroes and idealistic princesses and so forth.

Now I’m wondering if there’s a mecha game that does lean into those kinds of tropes. I assume someone has made one, although most of the mecha RPGs I’m familiar with seem to draw on Evangelion rather than Gundam for some reason (often with rather tasteless results).

Mekton and Jovian Chronicles both support those.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Doctor Zaius posted:

I also generally prefer the approach of giving martials expendable resources similar to spell slots, but also lmao imagine if martials just straight up picked some magic items to get for free every so often.
As bad as it ended up in play, the idea of the 5e Artificer's first draft was fun - a class whose power is defined by having a bunch of extra magic items outside of the normal treasure by level limits and max used at the same time, just pick a new one from the ever-growing list each time you level up

In practice it ended up being "you have ⅓ casting and a Wand of Detect Secret Doors", because Mearls

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lancer also reminds me a lot of Xenosaga. Advanced space federation, internet hyperspace, powerful beings who might be gods, religious fanatics, weird psychic powers, artificial people, etc.

It’s just missing the Gnosis and I can kludge some stuff to fill that space too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lancer also reminds me a lot of Xenosaga. Advanced space federation, internet hyperspace, powerful beings who might be gods, religious fanatics, weird psychic powers, artificial people, etc.

It’s just missing the Gnosis and I can kludge some stuff to fill that space too.

No sexy robots though

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Plutonis posted:

No sexy robots though
I remember they had the like, 'this AI is a normal person so we call it something different, and then there's the AIs that start at Durandal from Marathon and get weirder from there' divide, so maybe you can put the first one in the sexy robot bodies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LatwPIAT posted:

08th MS Team takes a lot of inspiration for its first half's from that specific kind of soldier's memoir. This gives it a very specific kind of mood and focus that is somewhat atypical of the space opera of much of the rest of the series. So if you pick 08th MS Team as your principal Gundam inspiration, you end up with something that is undeniably inspired by a Gundam show, yet clearly not what most people would associate with a Gundam-like TTRPG.
I'm not so sure about that, but that's more a commentary on the state of western Gundam/UC Gundam fandom prior to the last few years. :v: 08th MS Team has loomed incredibly large for a long time imo. What would be interesting is if someone leaned into the almost-explicitly-cyberpunk just-seen-from-the-side stuff in the recent non-UC series, Iron Blooded Orphans and Witch from Mercury. That would get you to a very different place than returning to the well of the Universal Century.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

I remember they had the like, 'this AI is a normal person so we call it something different, and then there's the AIs that start at Durandal from Marathon and get weirder from there' divide, so maybe you can put the first one in the sexy robot bodies.

No, they're all Durandal. The split is between pre-rampancy and stage 4 rampancy.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch Drivethru RPG back to the old layout?

The new one is unusable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sure, you need to log in and they'll migrate you to the new layout sometime in the future with no warning. But yeah, log in, go to my account settings and click the box that says apply legacy layout and then click the confirmation button.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kestral posted:

Make them use spell components. D&D is unironically much better when you actually use the rules that people have been desperately trying to forget exist since the late 90s.
The rules explicitly tell you to assume whatever spell components are necessary are in their bag if they don't have a gold cost associated.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, they're all Durandal. The split is between pre-rampancy and stage 4 rampancy.

No, you can absolutely have regular 'machine minds' in Lancer - that's what CompCon units are, for example, the basic AI you can stick in your mech at level 0. There's also regular droids, labelled as 'subalterns'. They might be remote controlled from a central computer or have their own processing for whatever reason.

In fact in a Lancer game I'm in right now, I'm playing an android pilot myself! Not an NHP at all, no cascade risk, just a synthskin android that staunchly insists it should not be referred to as a person, merely a product (from a discontinued product line) designed to pilot mechs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

So the sexy robots are all Durandal, eh? I should get this game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kwyndig posted:

Sure, you need to log in and they'll migrate you to the new layout sometime in the future with no warning. But yeah, log in, go to my account settings and click the box that says apply legacy layout and then click the confirmation button.

Thank you.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hopefully by the time they force the new layout they'll have fixed the issues I have with it. I keep running into a bug where it empties my shopping cart if I use a link instead of the add to cart button, which sucks because I do a lot Kickstarters and I get a lot of coupon code links.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And then you get into the Deep Lore like the metavaults and whatever Horus is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

This is where I disagree. 3e didn’t go far enough in this regard; 4e, PF2, and other games with a unified Athletics skill had the right idea. Having a separate skill for every action involving physical strength is needlessly fiddly and needlessly makes Fighters and similar classes worse. Yes, in real life there are strong people who don’t know how to swim, but do they exist in the kind of genre fiction D&D is supposed to be emulating? And how often does swimming come up in an actual campaign? A separate swim skill makes sense in only two contexts: 1) a game based on One Piece, specifically; 2) a GURPS-style “realistic” game.

Apologies for the delayed response, but I didn't get time to reply yesterday: I've been unclear or you've misunderstood my point. I am absolutely not advocating for splitting up Athletics in a D&D type system. I am saying Athletics as a skill doesn't need to be - and shouldn't be - anchored to a Strength ability score that only martial classes can (often, must) invest in, to the exclusion of other potentials tied to other ability scores.

You should simply be able to invest in Athletics if your character concept is of an athletic character. Or get it free, or better, or more, if your character class is some type of Iconic Athlete.

Many athletes are very strong. Many are not. The only reason Athletics is always STR based in D&D is because D&D insists on tying every skill to exactly one ability score. Games don't actually have to do that!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also quite a few Destiny references in Lancer come to think of it including using 'paracausal' for what's clearly basically magic.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Runa posted:

Not even Battletech went untouched.

I've been repeatedly informed* that Battletech has no whiny 15 year olds with superpowers so it can't be Gundam :colbert:

*by grogs, so you know, not really informed

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Angrymog posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch Drivethru RPG back to the old layout?

The new one is unusable.
For those who, like me, get put into the "test group" where the option to revert goes away:

AmiYumi posted:

So in addition to looking like absolute poo poo and changing all links to 404s, the DTRPG redesign literally breaks checkout

I had to find a (explicitly temporary!) workaround on Reddit just to be able to input codes from some Kickstarters

It's "reassign the value of cookie 'phnx_test_group_12' to '99999'" in case anyone else is in the same boat
The "all links are 404s" isn't hyperbole btw; every clickable link tries to redirect (thanks to the new layout) and dies instead. Real fuckin' professional operation.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 31, 2023

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

AmiYumi posted:

[...]

The "all links are 404s" isn't hyperbole btw; every clickable link tries to redirect (thanks to the new layout) and dies instead. Real fuckin' professional operation.

Every time I see news like this I throw my hands up in confusion. What idiot got this through testing if it breaks the only loving thing an online shop is supposed to achieve??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Every time I see news like this I throw my hands up in confusion. What idiot got this through testing if it breaks the only loving thing an online shop is supposed to achieve??

Testing?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Megazver posted:

2d20 is hit or miss with people online, but I actually enjoyed playing it (Conan) more than I expected to based on how people talk about. There is a common criticism that the rules in all of 2d20 are oddly laid out and a pain to consult mid-play and that was my experience with Conan. I've heard A!C is supposed to be a tighter experience in that regard.

Also, if you end up hating 2d20, A!C was also released for CoC7e and Savage Worlds, you can still find the rulebooks online.

Thanks man. A!C 2d20 seems to have explained it well enough that I understand. I doubt my players will actually read the rules anyway, just whatever quick ref one pager I write up for them.

I know A!C was originally in CoC and Savage Worlds but I'm trying to branch out from Coc/Delta Green which I've run before and Savage Worlds sucks (imho).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can’t believe DTRPG is even more unusable rear end than the last time I used it, where I couldn’t buy a product by searching for it from the main page. I had to follow a link someone else posted in a reddit chat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

So the sexy robots are all Durandal, eh? I should get this game.
He can open my doors any day :pervert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megazver posted:

2d20 is hit or miss with people online, but I actually enjoyed playing it (Conan) more than I expected to based on how people talk about. There is a common criticism that the rules in all of 2d20 are oddly laid out and a pain to consult mid-play and that was my experience with Conan. I've heard A!C is supposed to be a tighter experience in that regard.

Also, if you end up hating 2d20, A!C was also released for CoC7e and Savage Worlds, you can still find the rulebooks online.
Part of the hit or miss is they put real effort into adapting the base system to each IP, so STA is really good at emulating pre-discovery star trek but if that's not what you're looking for you'll be left cold. Meanwhile from what I've heard of 2d20 Conan it's in many ways a completely different, much more swords and sandals game. For example, STA has pretty light combat subsystems, but it's got robust, intuitive systems for social combat and determining how and why you need to plug the transporter into the deflector dish this week.

Also main characters advance very slowly and mainly sideways but there's a lot of focus on the side characters graduating from redshirts to Barclays and oh god I just realised it's a disguised funnel system.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 31, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

Part of the hit or miss is they put real effort into adapting the base system to each IP, so STA is really good at emulating pre-discovery star trek but if that's not what you're looking for you'll be left cold. Meanwhile from what I've heard of 2d20 Conan it's in many ways a completely different, much more swords and sandals game. For example, STA has pretty light combat subsystems, but it's got robust, intuitive systems for social combat and determining how and why you need to plug the transporter into the deflector dish this week.

Also main characters advance very slowly and mainly sideways but there's a lot of focus on the side characters graduating from redshirts to Barclays and oh god I just realised it's a disguised funnel system.

I mean, all that too, but mostly the metacurrency economy really rubs some people the wrong way.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Many athletes are very strong. Many are not. The only reason Athletics is always STR based in D&D is because D&D insists on tying every skill to exactly one ability score. Games don't actually have to do that!

I've liked the trend of games like SWN uncoupling skills from fixed stats and letting the GM pick which stat you're using to make a roll based on the situation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

They made a John Carter of Mars game, and streamlined a lot of the combat system for it, but some people complained so they created a set of rules which let you use the Conan version if you wanted to.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Colonel Cool posted:

I've liked the trend of games like SWN uncoupling skills from fixed stats and letting the GM pick which stat you're using to make a roll based on the situation.

Heck, that's not even new. Fading Suns did that in the mid-90s, and I'm pretty sure WOD was fine with it too before that. A lot of skills were preferentially tied to specific stats for most uses but you could still mix it up if the situation called for it. No doubt even earlier stuff was doing it. The things that keep being "forgotten" and rediscovered.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Unisystem does that too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megazver posted:

I mean, all that too, but mostly the metacurrency economy really rubs some people the wrong way.
Oh, well, those guys can suck it, metacurrency best currency.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Colonel Cool posted:

If you want to do this well you need to use a set of ability scores with a decent number of intuitively associated skills. Any game using the big 6 isn't "uncoupling skills from fixed stats", it's a grognardy or lazy designer setting up the "a good GM will make constitution useful" defence instead of doing actual design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

Oh, well, those guys can suck it, metacurrency best currency.

It can be done well or not, like any other mechanic, but I thought it worked pretty smooth in Conan.