Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

emSparkly posted:

Re: Bill Murray

Ghostbusters is the most overrated movie of all time and actually sucks a lot. Insecure nerds on the internet latch onto it and the “they caught lightning in a bottle” story surrounding it as an incredibly pitiful myth of “the good old days when movies were good and men were men”

:ohdear:

Gonna have to stay out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ghostbusters became obsolete when the 1990 teenage mutant ninja turtles movie came out

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Having only seen Ghostbusters 2 I used to say I only saw the bad Ghostbusters movie but now I guess they all are bad and having fun is against the law

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked Ghostbusters as a little kid entirely because of Slimer and the Marshmallow Man.

credburn posted:

Having only seen Ghostbusters 2 I used to say I only saw the bad Ghostbusters movie but now I guess they all are bad and having fun is against the law

and about drat time

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Bob Dylan sucks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh yeah and the foo fighters. they make me want to sleep

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bob Dylan is the best

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ah, at last: Zappa. Juvenile 13 year old.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

credburn posted:

Ghostbusters 2 is honestly a much funnier movie to watch in retrospect. The slime scenes are great and the Statue of Liberty dancing at the end is a fun way to end it. And it's absent any ghost blow jobs!

Plus Vigo the Carpathian jokes are everywhere, at least regarding creepy paintings, so it's not as reviled as people pretend it is. Seeing a creepy painting, a millennial is way more likely to make a 'Vigo' painting joke than a portrait of Dorian Grey joke, for example.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 1, 2024

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

oh yeah and the foo fighters. they make me want to sleep
Dave Grohl managed to be in the two most overrated bands of his generation.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

"Everybody" is maybe not accurate but nerds who post on the internet about scifi (like myself) sure like Ian M. Banks in general and his Culture series in particular. I've never been able to make it past 50 pages, he takes wild concepts and makes them feel prosaic, and if I could describe his writing style in one word it would be "masturbatory".

Speaking of making things prosaic, D&D sucks the fantasy out of everything it touches.

Also I feel like the public is starting to come around on not liking Bill Murray but I'm ahead of the curve there by a few decades.

I'm just starting the Culture series from book 1 and while I didn't hate it, Consider Phlebas is...not a strong book. I'm giving the entire series a try though, I've read a few out of order and enjoyed them.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Presto posted:

ABBA had one good song (Take a Chance On Me), a few OK songs (Dancing Queen, Waterloo, Fernando), and a whole pile of forgettable trash.

Add Lay All Your Love on Me to the at least passable pile.

On another note, I for some reason keep hearing stuff off the new Rolling Stones album.

Please make it stop.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I saw Ghostbusters in college and only thought like three jokes were really funny. I just watched some compilations from the movie just to refresh my memory, and yeah it's weak joke after weak joke. Of course dickless is the best line in the whole movie, but all the small bits just do absolutely nothing for me. poo poo like a kaiju pastry mascot was probably a great joke if people weren't expecting it in 1984. Since it's such a icon now, I don't think it works well as a joke anymore.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bob Dylan rules.

Of course he sucks now, he's like 100 years old.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

BattyKiara posted:

I will never understand why people like ABBA. I find absolutely nothing redeeming in their music or anything else about them. May I never hear their music, including cover versions, ever again.

Same but Queen

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Das Boo posted:

Everybody who covers a Dylan song does it better than Dylan. There are some great Dylan covers.

I think this thread trends toward hating Dave Matthews, but whatever, he was important to me in high school, and his version of All Along the Watchtower will always be my favorite.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BattyKiara posted:

I will never understand why people like ABBA. I find absolutely nothing redeeming in their music or anything else about them. May I never hear their music, including cover versions, ever again.

As a sort of inverse to this thread: Aqua. I hated Barbie Girl when I was a kid and so did most everyone I knew, but then I grew up and listened to more of Aqua’s stuff and drat they whip rear end. It’s just dumb campy good fun

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

emSparkly posted:

Ghostbusters is the most overrated movie of all time and actually sucks a lot. Insecure nerds on the internet latch onto it and the “they caught lightning in a bottle” story surrounding it as an incredibly pitiful myth of “the good old days when movies were good and men were men”

I like Ghostbusters (or at least, the first movie and enjoyed the cartoon as a child - it had no business being a "franchise"), but that movie is good in spite of itself and I feel if it was calibrated just a little differently in any direction it would have been terrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Bob Dylan rules.

Of course he sucks now, he's like 100 years old.

This is the only good Bob Dylan song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVP31ofaU4w

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The music talk has reminded me: I never understood the appeal of Tom Petty. Like, I didn't love the Smashing Pumpkins (who I think are talented and I like some of their music), Rage Against The Machine (who I think are talented but I do not like any of their music) or The Red Hot Chili Peppers (who I think are untalented and I do not like any of their music), but I could sort of understand the appeal of them. The only explanation I can imagine is the his music coinciding with growing freedom in one's teenage years and also marijuana.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

I like Ghostbusters (or at least, the first movie and enjoyed the cartoon as a child - it had no business being a "franchise"), but that movie is good in spite of itself and I feel if it was calibrated just a little differently in any direction it would have been terrible.

:agreed: on every count

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Pirates of The Carribean. I rooted for the Royal Navy. I'm just not into the whole Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow schtick.

And you know, real life pirates were and still are terrible human beings. Everyone thinks pirates are kewl and it would be sweet to be a pirate, but they're jerks!

Eh, it's not much different than stories about knights or samurai or soldiers or what have you. Historically, heavily armed people were jerks. The Royal Navy would not really have been much better.

edit: although speaking of things that had no business being franchises, the first PotC was a decent movie that maybe could have carried one sequel

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 1, 2024

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory baffles me because they just seem so generic with nothing special about them. I don't think they are worse than most of the stuff in that category but just completely forgettable and bland. Then randomly for no reason they got huge fan bases.

It's different from Seinfeld or Friends in that, while they didn't age well and I wouldn't watch them today, I get that at the time they at least did something a bit new and different.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

The music talk has reminded me: I never understood the appeal of Tom Petty. Like, I didn't love the Smashing Pumpkins (who I think are talented and I like some of their music), Rage Against The Machine (who I think are talented but I do not like any of their music) or The Red Hot Chili Peppers (who I think are untalented and I do not like any of their music), but I could sort of understand the appeal of them. The only explanation I can imagine is the his music coinciding with growing freedom in one's teenage years and also marijuana.

Tom Petty is just tolerable Bob Dylan, happy to help.

Definitely don't listen to the Traveling Wilburys, it has both of them (although those albums contain the only Dylan performances that I can tolerate, and I still maintain that "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" is a bop).

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rhcp have lots of talent, it's just the weird rare case that the lead singer is dragging everyone else way down.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I wish Jools Holland would gently caress off TV forever. He's obviously a hugely talented musician, but it's just embarrassing having this drunk old uncle being the mainstay of music on British television, and inviting his even older mates on to play whenever he's there.

They had loving rod stewart on last night, and it was genuinely cringe worthy. A geriatric old has-been with stupid dyed hair, backed by a trio of gorgeous buxom blondes who have to simper and giggle at this man who is genuinely old enough to be their granddad.

I guess the hate I have is not for these people themselves, but more for the fact that they keep on getting wheeled out on TV to croak their way through the classics while everyone pretends to enjoy it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

the holy poopacy posted:

Eh, it's not much different than stories about knights or samurai or soldiers or what have you. Historically, heavily armed people were jerks. The Royal Navy would not really have been much better.

edit: although speaking of things that had no business being franchises, the first PotC was a decent movie that maybe could have carried one sequel

It's not even all that. Pirates as a fantasy trope are enjoyable because it's the idea of a world where governments seek to control the sea and you're defying their law. The baddies are the ones who want to enforce fascism of the sea and when pitted against such a foe, pirates represent rebellion and freedom. It's just the usual outlaw stuff.

That's why the villains of POTC are the Queen's Navy.

Knights and samurai are 'noble lone wolf' tropes, they enforce justice where the govt or law enforcement can't or won't. Pirates are straight just anti-authoritarian fantasy. So it should be pretty clear why young kids would enjoy roleplaying pirates when their lives are controlled by their parents.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 1, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Rhcp have lots of talent, it's just the weird rare case that the lead singer is dragging everyone else way down.

RHCP would be an absolutely dope instrumental trio. "Pretty Little Ditty" is their best song for this exact reason.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well said. RHCP are great musicians and a goofy lead singer who just slips into gibberish for lyrics when he can't think of anything better. I remember him talking about writing "Under the Bridge" and he said he was embarrassed to share the lyrics because he thought they were too lame and not cool enough and I think that illustrates his mindset.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
pirates rule rn drools

RN Fans: "It is good when noble-born officers in command of a ship crewed by enslaved sailors steal a shipload of Spanish silver mined by enslaved Mesoamericans. It is bad when a crew of freemen do it."

-----------

I have never laughed at "I Think You Should Leave."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Disco Pope posted:

The 2009 Ghostbusters video game was surprisingly good as they got the original voices back including Ramis & set it in 1991, and it allowed for players to actually go on paranormal calls in New York and blast ghosts which was always the strength of the premise.

Not a masterpiece but charming to walk around a hotel lobby with a PKE meter listening to tolerable dialogue. Unfortunately the player is generic white guy with no personality which felt like a missed opportunity, oddly known only as Rookie like they’re ripping off Rebel Assault.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The 2009 Ghostbusters video game was surprisingly good as they got the original voices back including Ramis & set it in 1991, and it allowed for players to actually go on paranormal calls in New York and blast ghosts which was always the strength of the premise.

Not a masterpiece but charming to walk around a hotel lobby with a PKE meter listening to tolerable dialogue. Unfortunately the player is generic white guy with no personality which felt like a missed opportunity, oddly known only as Rookie like they’re ripping off Rebel Assault.

Yeah, I wouldn't revisit it, because I remember it being a very "of its time" cover shooter, even when I played it close enough to release. It did seem to "get" Ghostbusters though, even if the world wouldn't be a poorer place if that was just warmly remembered comedy from 1984.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emSparkly posted:

Nerds have examined it and it's kind-of simple:

1. Ghostbusters was popular with adults because the whole joke of "Exorcists instead of Fancy Priests or Van Helsings it's a bunch of Dumpy Pest Exterminators with a Shop-Vac" is genuinely funny.

2. The merchandising machine and "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon gave late-stage Gen X and Early/Middle Millennials the impression it was way more of a serious franchise than it was. It gave the characters are variety of enemies to fight and built on the lore/tools. It also made ghost-fighting and overcoming things like "the monster under the bed" something anyone could learn if they had the right equipment and like, a weekend's worth of training.

These two aisles existed in almost total parallel and no one knew until the 2016 Ghostbusters happened and suddenly all the dudes who took 2 way way too seriously freaked tf out and Nazis fed their idiocy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNJt9FgLbMI

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I remember liking the Ghostbusters cartoon when I was little, is what happened the early seasons had more story and were allowed to be a little scary but then they put too much emphasis on Slimer’s marketability & it became dumber?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

emSparkly posted:

lol, I'm old enough to have seen Ghostbusters in the theater in 1984. It was a goofy movie about a group of middle aged men running a small business that happened to be about capturing ghosts. It was silly, is silly and will remain silly.

The fans ruined Ghostbusters when they started to take it seriously.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mind the walrus posted:

Nerds have examined it and it's kind-of simple:

1. Ghostbusters was popular with adults because the whole joke of "Exorcists instead of Fancy Priests or Van Helsings it's a bunch of Dumpy Pest Exterminators with a Shop-Vac" is genuinely funny.

2. The merchandising machine and "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon gave late-stage Gen X and Early/Middle Millennials the impression it was way more of a serious franchise than it was. It gave the characters are variety of enemies to fight and built on the lore/tools. It also made ghost-fighting and overcoming things like "the monster under the bed" something anyone could learn if they had the right equipment and like, a weekend's worth of training.

These two aisles existed in almost total parallel and no one knew until the 2016 Ghostbusters happened and suddenly all the dudes who took 2 way way too seriously freaked tf out and Nazis fed their idiocy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNJt9FgLbMI

I have a pet-theory that kids loved TRGB because of two factors:

1) kids love the emergency services - a show about some dudes who live in a fire house and drive an ambulance would have done great, ghosts or not.

2) kids loving hate a ghost and if you can shoot a ghost, they would endorse it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Disco Pope posted:

2) kids loving hate a ghost and if you can shoot a ghost, they would endorse it.

I liked ghosts as a kid. I wanted to hang out with Casper.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was a solid cartoon series. They fought Cthullu and the X-Treme 90s version had an episode where they fought Cenobites and R.L Clive Barker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGZevVdjoUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-ih8gOrZU

Disco Pope posted:

I have a pet-theory that kids loved TRGB because of two factors:

1) kids love the emergency services - a show about some dudes who live in a fire house and drive an ambulance would have done great, ghosts or not.

1. Again Ghostbusters made it seem like fighting Ghosts was an actual thing you could do without spending like, decades of study for stuffy religious poo poo.

2. :agreed:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

emSparkly posted:

I liked ghosts as a kid. I wanted to hang out with Casper.

Casper, sure, but like, the ghosts that were in the National Trust houses we'd visit on Sundays? Into a trap, please.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tango alpha delta posted:

The fans ruined Ghostbusters when they started to take it seriously. everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I didn’t watch Ghostbusters as a kid because the busted ghost in the logo looked too sad, and so I was automatically on his side. I also thought he must have been the main character, and was annoyed he never seemed to show up in the bits I did watch