Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what sort of price range is a 'concierge doctor' in? A few thousand cash retainer a year? Tens of thousands? I'm curious to what degree that's an actual thing, though we all joke about it.

A couple hundred a month? This doesn't sound right. I can't see any scenario in which a doctor only charges a couple hundred dollars of premium to be available 24/7...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what sort of price range is a 'concierge doctor' in? A few thousand cash retainer a year? Tens of thousands? I'm curious to what degree that's an actual thing, though we all joke about it.

Like everything else, there are degrees to what's available. My old doctor (before he retired) charged $80/month, which was stupidly cheap for that sort of thing. My current one is $270/month (I've got some serious medical poo poo that I deal with, so I need somebody who'll actually pick up the phone, which, because this is America, means paying out the rear end). Neither of these includes the cost of a visit (though my old doctor was willing to do stuff for free because it was less about the money for him and more about helping people) or tests or anything, so that's all on top. I do have my doctor's cell number, though, and can call her whenever. If you keep going up the chain, you get people who charge four or five figures a month and do house calls or whatever.

There's also direct primary care, which includes visits and tests and poo poo in the monthly fee. It tends to cost a bit more than a concierge doctor, but you also know what your total costs are going to be up front. You're not covered for anything if you need to get referred anywhere else, though.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jan 1, 2024

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Does it? I’m seeing a lot of carrageenan in the ad copy for it but it doesn’t specifically say iota-carrageenan just ‘Carrageenan which is derived from red marine algae.’ Which really sets off my weasel detector, because kappa and lambda are derived from the same plant and are not shown to be as effective as iota (but they sure are cheaper).

In the Flo information insert, it states: Carrageenan 1.6mg/ml (1.2mg/ml iota-Carrageenan and 0.4mg/ml kappa-Carrageenan).

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

man i just wanna kiss a stranger

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Oracle posted:

Does it? I’m seeing a lot of carrageenan in the ad copy for it but it doesn’t specifically say iota-carrageenan just ‘Carrageenan which is derived from red marine algae.’ Which really sets off my weasel detector, because kappa and lambda are derived from the same plant and are not shown to be as effective as iota (but they sure are cheaper).

A Bag of Milk posted:

That is a great catch, I believe you are correct. Those shifty aussies

i don't think this is correct.

https://www.carragelose.com/en/faq

"flo travel" is the australian product branding of Carragelose

quote:

What is Carragelose®?
Carragelose® is 🌟iota-carrageenan🌟, a polymer derived from red algae. It forms a protective barrier on mucosal surfaces, thereby blocking various external influences, such as viruses or allergens and providing a moistuirizing film. Carragelose® may help to prevent and treat viral respiratory infections, may alleviate nasal symptoms of allergic rhinitis and may provide relief for dry and irritated eyes.

flo travel is the good poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
thank you thread

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Oracle posted:

I think the only local US version with this active ingredient is Epothex.

that's the one that stings due to additives. you want the flo

quote:

Flo is made by an Australian pharmaceutical company, and you can buy it from this Australian online pharmacy, which ships internationally. It took about a week to ship to the East Coast. Especially if you order enough to get free shipping, it's a lot cheaper than Amazon too. https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml

betadine works too
https://www.amazon.com/BETADINE-Defence-NASPAL-Canadian-Packaging/dp/B082331GXK/
https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DickParasite posted:

We were right all along.

e:

I've seen that line attributed to Sam Neil elsewhere but it's actually John Glover who says it:

argh gently caress you're right.

fantastic movie.

optimistic, perhaps.

Shadowisper
Dec 19, 2001

...I will eat your soul...
Fun Shoe
So my father was in a rehab facility for a couple of weeks recovering from getting a rod put in his left leg as a preventative measure due to his stage 4 lung cancer. He was supposed to be released back into my care today, but instead is fighting for his life in an ICU with Covid and Flu A on a vent. As in most places these days, infection control and airborne virus prevention are non existent. gently caress this facility, and gently caress everyone else not taking this poo poo seriously. That's how I am spending New Years Eve hoping my father survives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shadowisper posted:

So my father was in a rehab facility for a couple of weeks recovering from getting a rod put in his left leg as a preventative measure due to his stage 4 lung cancer. He was supposed to be released back into my care today, but instead is fighting for his life in an ICU with Covid and Flu A on a vent. As in most places these days, infection control and airborne virus prevention are non existent. gently caress this facility, and gently caress everyone else not taking this poo poo seriously. That's how I am spending New Years Eve hoping my father survives.

I'm sorry, friend. I hope your dad makes it.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

good new year, covid new year

edit: death 2 that hospital btw

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Jan 1, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Shadowisper posted:

Wishing your dad & you the best. Also, gently caress cancer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
never mind

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Shadowisper posted:

spending New Years Eve hoping my father survives.

Wishing your dad all the best. May we look back on this period with horror and disgust.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AgeofNapoleon/status/1741612290095640979?t=2TCyQrBtBS297F5mVyOTjQ&s=19

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hey, gently caress the year we just had

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

i think 2024 is the year we beat covid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shadowisper posted:

This sucks op I'm sorry to hear :( I love my dad too.

I hope your fam gets through it and then also channels it to fight on behalf of other dads

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm 100% sure we'll exterminate 4 or 5 different covid strains during 2024.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

We beat it in 2021, because they stopped making those Death to 202X mockumentaries on netflix then

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I'm 100% sure we'll exterminate 4 or 5 different covid strains during 2024.

We can't do that. The only thing capable of exterminating a strain of covid is another strain of covid

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowisper posted:

sending good vibes. gently caress cancer

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

corona familiar posted:

Not COVID
Jan 1, 2022

JUST ANOTHER FELLOW CELLULAR ORGANISM

Steely Dad posted:

We can't do that. The only thing capable of exterminating a strain of covid is another strain of covid

It really is a vertibrate-eat-vertibrate world out there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rianlee posted:

In the Flo information insert, it states: Carrageenan 1.6mg/ml (1.2mg/ml iota-Carrageenan and 0.4mg/ml kappa-Carrageenan).

That’s better (I was just going off what I could find online) but curious they’re throwing kappa into the mix, and that amount of iota (I think the studies all used .6, but they were funded by Betadine which uses that much, so maybe they’re just going off the ‘more=better’ paradigm idk)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Not COVID posted:

:hmmrona:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

corona familiar posted:

also I hope you sue the poo poo out of them. First do no harm my rear end.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not COVID posted:

Did covid write this post

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
this reminded me to get more flo travel spray and it just jumped to 30 bucks on amazon :cry:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Shadowisper posted:

I'm so sorry friend. I pray for good outcomes for you and dad. Thank you for being able to share with us, I hope we can provide support for you even if it's just posts on an internet message board.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pingui posted:

Just a brief reminder to all that this is the day before the commercial market takes over Paxlovid. It will still (nominally) be free for select groups, but if you have private insurance it is anyone's guess what will happen. Expect some kind of cluster gently caress at the very least, making it difficult to ascertain if the Paxlovid you just received is free, with a copay or entirely on you.

Also happy New Year to all.

Edit: lol, Petey beat me to it. Cheers Petey :)

is it too late to t2t???

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

In Seattle you can join up with a doctor practice that’s at reasonable patient load levels for around $300 a month. You still got to go to their office for your visits like a plebe, and they’ll charge your insurance as applicable, but you’ll be seeing somebody that can spend more than fifteen minutes with you. Someone I know had to capitulate to this recently because they’re going through a serious health issue and their PCP wouldn’t be able to pencil them in until February back in November.

Lol this is insane

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Wastewater Data (Everything is hosed)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

N95 lets 1 in 20 virions go through

1 particle is all it takes to infect someone

these fucken people

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

My hospital has a 3 month wait list for outpatient mri.

(Also told that per decree of the holy budget, we are 2.5 FTE overstaffed. Something isn't adding together correctly here!)

Also I had a family member have to go the ER for a thing and the doctor told them the hospital was cutting back staffing and did not renew the contracts for a large group of physicians. In an ER at triple capacity with wait times measured in days, at the only level 1 trauma center in the state that is a huge monopoly on health care. Hospitals eating massive crunches in budgets because covid rapidly corrected the wage disparity for health care jobs and now it's time to really tighten that belt and get austere with quality of care because those board member bonuses aren't going to pay themselves!

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Jan 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

these fucken people

it’s been a while since I looked it up but I think you need 100,000 virions to form a plaque forming unit. anything below that stays below critical mass

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if you're gonna fucken sit and bask indoors in the beshittled spittle-breath of a dozen of your fellow Americans, you need to be better equipped than an N95 permits

an N95 is great but it's not sufficient for soaking in the infected rot-streams of a bunch of drunk party going people's breath

and that's assuming they didn't lift their masks to sip sugary booze through straws through the night, which it seems that 99,999/10,000 people who even bother to wear high quality masks do

edit: 99,999/100,000 who cares happy New Year hail santa

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Jan 1, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Steve Yun posted:

it’s been a while since I looked it up but I think you need 100,000 virions to form a plaque forming unit. anything below that stays below critical mass

that would be news to me, in 2022 it was looking like omicron could nuke your rear end with fewer than a dozen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
maybe! it’s been a while since we last talked about plaque forming unit minimums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Potato Salad posted:

these fucken people

Your point stands, but I think it was Fit Test The World guy who demonstrated that properly fitted N95s are actually 97 or 98 percent effective. Either way though, you need to be lucky every time, it only needs to be lucky once.

Fireworks woke me up and they show no sign of slowing, so happy new year thread