Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

LeeMajors posted:

the banks opened 400 completely empty brick-and-mortar locations last year and needs some cash flow

is that why the brand new chase bank down the street has been leaving me increasingly insistent invitations to just stop on by in my voicemail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Mad Wack posted:

is that why the brand new chase bank down the street has been leaving me increasingly insistent invitations to just stop on by in my voicemail?

they probably also have data indicating that in-branch customers are 20% stickier/likely to open a credit card than online-only

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mad Wack posted:

i read somewhere that folks correlate physical locations with longevity (which lol if you’ve paid attention to any banks over the past 15yrs) so it’s basically a way to project power.

like US military bases across the globe, but somehow more predatory.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Brick and mortar banks should be open more often if they want drop in traffic, like car dealerships. Let the branch managers and mortgage officers stay until 8pm or so, you'll never get anyone if you're only open during banking hours. That's when people work!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree, you should turn on motion smoothing on your TV for more frames, which looks better

Doesn't smoothing blend between frames or something stupid? That's not more frames that's making the frames you already have shittier.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/IRStaxpros/status/1741587617563529380

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
upgrade your brain firmware and you'll see over 45fps

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

is pepsi ok posted:

The entire American Idiot album never mentions Bush or anyone in the Bush administration by name, nor does it mention anything specific that Bush did.

It's the perfect time capsule of 2000s era "bad things are bad" politics.

"one nation controlled by the media" uh pretty sure it's the other way around. and here they were doing damage control for the same nation

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BULBASAUR posted:

upgrade your brain firmware and you'll see over 45fps

this is what Sam Bankman-Fried was doing with selegiline. he was famously a dedicated gamer. rip.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol why did this just show up in my fb feed

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i had a dream last night about flathead screws because of this

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i say swears online posted:

s type look amazing

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Your chart is missing the Swastika Torq-set type screw.

Guaranteed to strip out if someone uses a Phillips bit on it.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress me I hate flatheads

any time I encounter one outside of finish work I just smh and sigh

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
pozidrive my round hole

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
how many goons does it take to screw in a Phillips head screw?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
depends. does your house have stairs?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

no pentalobe :smuggo:

Jan 2, 2024
deep....deep.... into the red

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mola Yam posted:

pozidrive my round hole

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what is this internationally-recognized 6lobe designation, where's my god-fearing Torx name as He intended in His patent

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

We've been through this. They monitor everything you do on the internet.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

We've been through this. They monitor everything you do on the internet.

The real tinfoil hat moment is when something pops into your mind that you hadn't been looking up or talking about and you never follow up on that thought or even speak of it out loud and then a day or two later you get recommended a video about it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mola Yam posted:

pozidrive my round hole

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

The real tinfoil hat moment is when something pops into your mind that you hadn't been looking up or talking about and you never follow up on that thought or even speak of it out loud and then a day or two later you get recommended a video about it.

Never happened to me. You must be rather predictable.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

h-type looks like a huge nerd

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

blatman posted:

my percolator has those so nerds can't take it apart with a flathead

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blatman posted:

tag yourself, I'm spanner

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Robertson != square

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

Your chart is missing the Swastika Torq-set type screw.

Guaranteed to strip out if someone uses a Phillips bit on it.

Little known fact: groverhaus was constructed using only these screws.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

super sweet best pal posted:

:smuggo: it's called confirmation bias :smuggo:

anyways the real answer is the internet is a giant advertising network collecting every thing you do and sharing (selling) it around and are able to develop predictive behaviors for advertising.

everything , literally everything, tracks how long you spent reading/watching a post/video which is extremely valuable because every extra second you spent looking at a tweet about shoes means you might want to buy shoes; what websites you clicked when you searched; your phone/car is sharing your GPS data everywhere your at and what you might be stopping at; your credit cards are selling every purchase you make and what/where it is; and all of your contacts/friends/roommates data and what they're doing as well combined with yours

so they probably have targetted predictive behavior advertising that super sweet best pal is interested in skydiving because they're looking up how to tie noose and where to get prozac filled for cheaper than cvs, or stared at a gif of someone skydiving on xitter for 3 seconds longer than most people.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Potato Salad posted:

tag yourself, I'm spanner

i already did im h-type

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

A level I can only hope to attain one day.

Anyway, here's either a :smith: or :unsmith: story (or maybe both) to start the new year:

N.Y. woman clears $108M of other people's medical debt — after dying of cancer

"medical debt collectors score easy payday"

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

"medical debt collectors score easy payday"

“hostages freed after ransom paid”

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ne Cede Malis posted:

“hostages freed after ransom paid”

"world's largest kidnapping ring makes an easy million bucks again"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Seriously what's the upside to buying debt that the holders priced at roughly 1% odds of being paid back? Does it clear off the debtors' credit reports faster, or does formally forgiving it ensure that not even 1% will ever be bullied into actually paying some of it back?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

putting a market order on medical debt for 0.5% knowing this charity set a floor at 1%

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Seriously what's the upside to buying debt that the holders priced at roughly 1% odds of being paid back? Does it clear off the debtors' credit reports faster, or does formally forgiving it ensure that not even 1% will ever be bullied into actually paying some of it back?

I'd imagine it's super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It gets scummy debt collectors off of poor people's backs, eliminates the chance of them having wages garnished (depending on jurisdiction) or similar abuses inflicted on them in the future, etc. It's very much a "4th grader mows lawns to pay off fellow students lunch debt" kind of thing, but it is very nice to be a random beneficiary of it. Kind of like winning a lottery without ever paying to play it. But that's it.