Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ah, the return of the classic Starmer "get ready for some bullshit in response to this difficult question" chuckle.

Such an infuriating little tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/IFMvAfM.gifv

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lol

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

bet he has one of those tail buttplugs in too

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry folks, it's just not time for an election right now!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/04/keir-starmer-speech-rishi-sunak-labour-conservatives-uk-politics

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

Before anyone posts it - the supposed document going round that claims Hawking enjoyed visiting Nonce Island to watch naked midgets perform calculations on a high up blackboard is, sadly, fake.

Many thought that information couldn't escape nonce island, but Hawking showed that if a fact and a fiction were spontaneously created at the border, one would get on the plane and become known and the other would stay behind passport control and be forgotten

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Tooth talk is pretty depressing. Can confirm that having hosed up teeth doesn't feel great. I definitely can't afford any sort of fix for it though (it'd surely be more than £2000 for my issues, that's an eye watering amount as it is) but I can't even begin to get started on trying to sort it out really. There's absolutely no NHS dentists near me taking anyone and I can't drive.

It probably has stopped me getting jobs now that I think about it, guess it probably indicates poor impulse control or issues maintaining good habit to some folk. I just had undiagnosed ADHD, an overbite that made my teeth/jawline hosed regardless of what I actually did to my teeth and would have required actual surgery very early on to resolve (so I kinda just went, "ah gently caress it" relatively early on) and a mum who was afraid of the dentists.

My boss from one of my previous jobs came off his bike, absolutely destroyed his face, assume his teeth were mostly implants after and I know a few people who played rugby in uni and basically have most of their teeth replaced, kinda wish I could just do that without the horrific injury, I assume it's way worse for eating but probably a lateral move for me.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Tooth chat is depressing. Gonna try and hold out for a couple more years then do some dental tourism and get all-on-4 or all-on-6

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

thebardyspoon posted:

My boss from one of my previous jobs came off his bike,

That's one way to get fired from the bike repair shop

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Remind me how it works with Epstein.

If you are in his black book then that just meant he had your contact details

However, if you used his planes or went to his island you are a nonce.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised we're not discussing Nonce Island documents right now actually.

But we talk about UK politics all the time?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

notaspy posted:

Look, just because someone took a flight on the Lolita express to nonce island land of the continual nonce party, and maybe got a rub and tug from a 16 year old trafficked girl. Does that really make them a nonce?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I once had a 1/5th share in Stuart Hall's mobile rape waggon for the brief time that the band owned it. This was before we knew what happened in the bus.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

notaspy posted:

Black book - Fairly standard, just a boomers phone contact list. Nonces in the list sure, but not most likely few.

Plane - Once or twice, could be just business. Twice or more, could be legit, faint aroma of noncing. Plane lists shows 'unknown female' a lot though from what I've seen
So this needs to be checked out more.

Island -Once or twice, could be just business or event. Faint hint of noncing. Noncing potential increases as visits increase. Prince Andrew said he met Epstein three times a year.

BUT LOOK OVER THERE A DEAD CELEB NOT A ROYAL OR POLITICIAN ONCE WAS INVITED TO THE ISLAND!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Where did you get the idea that Grey is American from?

I didn't say they're American, I am saying it's a very American way of looking at this because it is precisely how American liberals tend to talk about Biden.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm just making sure that the thread is aware it was Virginia Giuffre herself who claimed Hawking took part in an underage orgy. This isn't about him just visiting the island. I personally believe the victims in cases like this

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

At this point just getting rid of he populist nutjobs and getting a few years of boring will be an improvement.
Without doing anything about the decline in material conditions, the 'populist nutjobs' are just going to keep coming though.

It's like telling the helmsman to keep the ship straight and steady (because that's something captains say when everything is going well) while you are surrounded by other ships who are broadsiding the gently caress out of you.

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, 'populist' becoming the default term for 'politics I don't like' was one of the more insidious elements of mainstream political discourse in the past almost-decade.
Keith calling Corbyn a populist while also refusing to take a poo poo without running it past a focus group is probably the thing that has broken me the most about all of this.

Centrism is a trick invented by the right to make stupid people believe that going for the solutions you want and know in your heart to be right is bad, actually. The sensible thing is to be a little bit racist to try and placate a small core of sociopaths who will always want things to be worse and will concede nothing in return. Basic overton window poo poo.

Unmanaged gum disease has apparently also been linked to heart disease, however admittedly my source on this is the big bang theory, so take with a pinch of salt.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I'm just making sure that the thread is aware it was Virginia Giuffre herself who claimed Hawking took part in an underage orgy. This isn't about him just visiting the island. I personally believe the victims in cases like this

Christ, I didn't know that.

gently caress.

I always tell myself "have no heroes that way you can never be disappointed" but then something like this happens and I feel disappointed because I have allowed someone to become a hero.

How hard is it not to nonce? Why is your lust for power so destructive?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1742891013130055948

He's going to hang onto power until the very last minute :toot:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
UKMT-ers who've undergone the miracle of British birth in the past couple of years - what was your experience like, anything to watch out for, and any advice or tips on getting through the process intact and safe?

My partner's newly pregnant (hooray!) but we keep hearing horror stories from our friends about how much worse things have got in maternity wards since the start of the pandemic, and as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

I was just reading our nearest hospital's google reviews, and there's a one-star story from a woman who was waiting in a supported-standing position with nobody checking in on her. Her partner kept pushing the buzzer as her baby unexpectedly started to crown but nobody came to help - so he had to catch the baby and prevent it from hitting the floor.

Finally the midwife showed up, promptly lied on the notes that she'd been in the room the entire time, and then forgot to do any of the post-natal checks.

So I'm feeling good right now, very positive.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1742891013130055948

He's going to hang onto power until the very last minute :toot:

classic misdirection to have it in the first half of the year then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Keith calling Corbyn a populist while also refusing to take a poo poo without running it past a focus group is probably the thing that has broken me the most about all of this.
Words do have meanings though, and Keith lying to call Corbyn a populist (and imply therefore that Corbyn has no real plan and is just gesturing at the shadowy elites *cough* to whip up the ignorant mob) is just Keith being lovely with words.

Like how its polar opposite technocrat also exists, and like the rule of the technocrats in fascist Spain or the approach of Euro technocrats to Greek austerity were super lovely, but when Nigel Farage or Russell Brand use the word in a blanket to mean "people who know what they are talking about, this is terrible for my credibility" they're just abusing the term. And thus behaving like populists.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Unmanaged gum disease has apparently also been linked to heart disease, however admittedly my source on this is the big bang theory, so take with a pinch of salt.
Oral health in general, especially missing teeth, but also gum disease and other factors, which is my main line of attack for why it's so obscene that dental isn't fully NHS integrated.

Tooth Loss Predicts Myocardial Infarction, Heart Failure, Stroke, and Death posted:

Tooth loss was an independent risk factor for cardiovascular events after multivariable analysis adjusted for cardiovascular risk, behavioral, and income factors. Each missing tooth was associated with an approximately 1% increase in MI (HR, 1.010; 95% CI, 1.007 to 1.014), 1.5% increase in HF (HR, 1.016; 95% CI, 1.013 to 1.019) and stroke (HR, 1.015; 95% CI, 1.012 to 1.018), and 2% increase in mortality (HR, 1.022; 95% CI, 1.020 to 1.023). Having ≥5 missing teeth substantially increased risk for cardiovascular outcomes, and even a small number of missing teeth (1 to 4) was associated with an increased risk for MI, stroke, and death. This association was consistent in subgroup analyses and especially strong among the younger subjects (age <65 y) and those with periodontitis.

fuctifino posted:

I'm just making sure that the thread is aware it was Virginia Giuffre herself who claimed Hawking took part in an underage orgy. This isn't about him just visiting the island.
That's why you see these signs around certain areas of town.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

grobbo posted:

UKMT-ers who've undergone the miracle of British birth in the past couple of years - what was your experience like, anything to watch out for, and any advice or tips on getting through the process intact and safe?

My partner's newly pregnant (hooray!) but we keep hearing horror stories from our friends about how much worse things have got in maternity wards since the start of the pandemic, and as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

I was just reading our nearest hospital's google reviews, and there's a one-star story from a woman who was waiting in a supported-standing position with nobody checking in on her. Her partner kept pushing the buzzer as her baby unexpectedly started to crown but nobody came to help - so he had to catch the baby and prevent it from hitting the floor.

Finally the midwife showed up, promptly lied on the notes that she'd been in the room the entire time, and then forgot to do any of the post-natal checks.

Tips:

- read some of the positive reviews instead of focusing on the negative ones
- do NOT watch the TV show "this is going to hurt" until after the birth
- don't bother thinking about going private - when things go wrong they just ship you off to the NHS anyway which adds travel time and risk

Our experience was 2 years ago and there was a staffing crisis. So it wasn't a great experience, although once in the delivery room (forceps delivery) everyone was amazing. As a partner I'd recommend being persistent with the staff (though I'm sure you were planning to anyway), and mmmaybe even record your entire experience (not in an antagonistic way, say it's for your lifestyle blog or some such bollocks) because maybe staff will pay more attention if they notice they're on camera? i dunno, if I went through it again I would do that. I also had extreme anxiety about the birth. Even though chances of something horrible happening is incredibly slim it still plagues your mind.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Now if it'd been Hedgehog flavour...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jel Shaker posted:

classic misdirection to have it in the first half of the year then

Yeah, Like anything he says can be trusted - it's even more likley to be May now!
(Honestly, I would be surprised if it's not as late in the year as possible.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think I take that great care of my teeth (floss, lol) but I never have tooth issues (except a tendency for calculus). Just got a checkup and after some cleaning it was fine. I do have the one habit that I tend to brush my teeth for like 10-20 minutes in the mornings, well I don't actively brush my teeth for that long. But mostly I just get to brushing then due to ADHD or something I walk around the house doing other stuff with the toothbrush in my mouth. Just getting ready for work, packing my lunch, might even sit down and read SA, so every morning my teeth get a good long soak in fluoride.

Maybe it helps, my dentist claims it does.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Grey Hunter posted:

it's even more likley to be May now!

Honestly she doesn't seem so bad now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Now if it'd been Hedgehog flavour...

Thought Haggis was just a shaved hedgehog

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahahaha

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1742910196068876763

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Means tested youth centres for over 65s

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

grobbo posted:

We've had two very good experiences but before the pandemic.

I would bear in mind that you can go to a different hospital. There is a local hospital we would not have gone to and then there was the one we did.

Also, although many of them are truly excellent and some of the very best human beings you will meet, do not just take the word of a midwife down the phone or even in a hospital if they say there is no need to worry.

If you think the baby is coming stick your hazards on and get your arse to the hospital. If you think something is wrong go and get someone. It is not worth loving about over and far better to be seen by someone switched on than to regret anything later.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rappaport posted:

Of course the idea behind super markets is, among other things, to reduce the amount of dirt,

Sounds like Barmy Brussels sticking their nose in once again

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
To be fair, they always pulling pints in empty pubs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You've got it wrong, it's the youth of the Tory party! look, a couple of them are clearly under fifty!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The other photo isn't much better

https://twitter.com/OliverPridmore/status/1742885305794089174

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

so many punchlines here,

"well he is a tory, you can never be too careful even when he's on camera"

"they saw one short young lad enter the room but later realised it was rishi"

"no youth is dumb enough to be in the centre of politics"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

To be fair, they always pulling pints in empty pubs.

well it's not like they could pull anything in a regular one

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Love his politics, simple as.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

UKMT: he might be a pedophile but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014