Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Well that's uhh... certainly one way for a virus to get milder.
"Adaptive immune cells are necessary for SARS-CoV-2-induced pathology"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38170764/ posted:

Abstract
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is causing the ongoing global pandemic associated with morbidity and mortality in humans. Although disease severity correlates with immune dysregulation, the cellular mechanisms of inflammation and pathogenesis of COVID-19 remain relatively poorly understood. Here, we used mouse-adapted SARS-CoV-2 strain MA10 to investigate the role of adaptive immune cells in disease. We found that while infected wild-type mice lost ~10% weight by 3 to 4 days postinfection, rag-/- mice lacking B and T lymphocytes did not lose weight. Infected lungs at peak weight loss revealed lower pathology scores, fewer neutrophils, and lower interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-α in rag-/- mice. Mice lacking αβ T cells also had less severe weight loss, but adoptive transfer of T and B cells into rag-/- mice did not significantly change the response. Collectively, these findings suggest that while adaptive immune cells are important for clearing SARS-CoV-2 infection, this comes at the expense of increased inflammation and pathology.

I feel like I should say that humans are not mice and I don't think this translates to humans, as the effects of COVID infections on a cellular level go beyond what they measure here. However the lack of an adaptive immune system would naturally affect individual expressions of disease course, as well as the symptoms of persistent infections and post-acute sequelae. This might give us some idea of how that expression would differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Oh well, luckily there are other options to get back in shape after covid like ???

As far as I understand PEM sufferers and research surrounding the condition, you can still do exercises. But you should be extremely careful not to surpass your threshold and not force the issue if you feel you can't.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Oh well, luckily there are other options to get back in shape after covid like ???

ozempic

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

bought 50 more of the 3M Aura 9211's these things are fuckin awesome, made my recent travel much more pleasant compared to the 9210's (or V-Flex's)

for :canada: goons this site has been the cheapest I've found, $2.80 per https://www.buyingdirect.ca/products/3m%E2%84%A2-aura%E2%84%A2-particulate-respirator-mask-9211-n95-box-10-masks

Thanks! Going to try these out

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pingui posted:

As far as I understand PEM sufferers and research surrounding the condition, you can still do exercises. But you should be extremely careful not to surpass your threshold and not force the issue if you feel you can't.

This really sounds like the kind of exercise intolerance that's common in CFS and whatever fibromyalgia is, and also occurs generally as a transient state during benzodiazepine withdrawal. I read a long and to me fairly convincing argument once, that in the case of benzo withdrawal this is the result of hypothalamus/pituitary axis hormonal problems.

If any of that is true it's interesting because cortisol is strongly connected to the immune response.

E: I phrased fibromyalgia that way because I think it's real but also it's a symptom complex and might reflect multiple underlying causes

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lol watch it turn out to cure LC too

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DickParasite posted:

Lol watch it turn out to cure LC too

People are worked up about this like it's the second coming of Christ but isn't it only like a 20% reduction in cardiac events? That's better than nothing but it's still one guy sitting at a table with four corpses.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I haven't read the whole thing yet but I saw Dr. Lucky Tran retweet this. A month by month sourced recap of all things COVID in 2023.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/pandemic-roundup-95546410

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

This really sounds like the kind of exercise intolerance that's common in CFS and whatever fibromyalgia is, and also occurs generally as a transient state during benzodiazepine withdrawal. I read a long and to me fairly convincing argument once, that in the case of benzo withdrawal this is the result of hypothalamus/pituitary axis hormonal problems.

If any of that is true it's interesting because cortisol is strongly connected to the immune response.

E: I phrased fibromyalgia that way because I think it's real but also it's a symptom complex and might reflect multiple underlying causes

ME/CFS seems similar, to the extent where there is debate on whether it is the same condition. We hopefully won't have to speculate much longer, as research defining the condition with biomarkers (like the study above) can obviously be utilized to check fairly rapidly. It would be pretty great if it turned out to be the same condition, partially or fully, as that would bring hope and potentially new therapeutics to the millions already suffering before COVID.

We will see, hopefully shortly :)

I don't know about benzo withdrawal; that seems less likely to be the same thing, but I will admit to knowing nothing beyond what you just wrote here and assuming it isn't permanent on a cellular level :shrug:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Covok posted:

I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Not civilization ending, at least in the US, but still not great.

Fake E: Wonder what that weird artifact in the predicted numbers is over new years '21 and end of January in '22.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

My memory has been nagging me. What was the university/town in 2021 where the mayor was begging the school not to reopen because the tiny town didn't have medical resources, but the school did so anyway? Mississippi or Missouri or somewhere in the South.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh report from friend in Korea. she tried to wear masks all the time but Korean office culture dictates that you have to eat in a restaurant once in a while as a team building thing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Ugh report from friend in Korea. she tried to wear masks all the time but Korean office culture dictates that you have to eat in a restaurant once in a while as a team building thing.

Yeah that seems hosed. I can't imagine the pressure in a Korean office now. I was just in a startup and got some stiff resistance in mid 2021 before we had access to the vaccines at that point. Led to me quitting and then someone popping pos the next week lmao.

Hmm just visited my barber here and he was actually masked this time. He had stopped masking once the WHO declared the pandemic over, so he wasn't doing it just for me. No cough or anything he seemed fine, but his thinking must have changed between now and my last visit.

Must be something going around.

Time to shoot up my Flo Travel before and after.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jan 5, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Well that's uhh... certainly one way for a virus to get milder.
"Adaptive immune cells are necessary for SARS-CoV-2-induced pathology"

I feel like I should say that humans are not mice and I don't think this translates to humans, as the effects of COVID infections on a cellular level go beyond what they measure here. However the lack of an adaptive immune system would naturally affect individual expressions of disease course, as well as the symptoms of persistent infections and post-acute sequelae. This might give us some idea of how that expression would differ.

Wasn't it one of Leonardi's way early predictions that sars-cov-2 going out of control would exert selective pressure to decrease the population-level effectiveness of the adaptive immune response (t-cell-based, specifically) by killing people with all the most competent immune phenotypes at much higher rates?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oracle posted:

Betadine cold defense (Canadian product) https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml

just contains iota-carrageenan and saline. And only 20 bucks vs Amazon’s crazyass pricing.

ty ordered & looking forward to being northernly vital.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

tale from hospital-worker friend: "there was a covid outbreak on the geriatric psych unit and they don't make them wear masks or use filters. one of the patients got covid so bad he got transferred to our ICU."

so anyway there's a new profit center in american health care

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

tale from hospital-worker friend: "there was a covid outbreak on the geriatric psych unit and they don't make them wear masks or use filters. one of the patients got covid so bad he got transferred to our ICU."

so anyway there's a new profit center in american health care

That's the thing, Covid patients don't make money for hospitals. Vent management is not profitable. Sticking people in ICU beds and monitoring them constantly to make sure they're still breathing is not profitable.

Back in 2020 I had access to a dashboard showing every covid patient and what they cost the hospital system I worked for versus who would normally fill that bed, and it wasn't pretty. Also they got rid of that dashboard in 2021 because covid was Over.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's the thing, Covid patients don't make money for hospitals. Vent management is not profitable. Sticking people in ICU beds and monitoring them constantly to make sure they're still breathing is not profitable.

Back in 2020 I had access to a dashboard showing every covid patient and what they cost the hospital system I worked for versus who would normally fill that bed, and it wasn't pretty. Also they got rid of that dashboard in 2021 because covid was Over.
Why is it not profitable? Do the vents just cost the hospital a ton vs having someone else who'd be getting lots of procedures/high-markup drugs or what? I have no clue how the economics work here

Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Why is it not profitable? Do the vents just cost the hospital a ton vs having someone else who'd be getting lots of procedures/high-markup drugs or what? I have no clue how the economics work here

Because hospitals staff and predict utilization for high profit patients like plastic surgery, transplants, etc etc. Any given hospital has planned it's financial year ahead of time on their ICU being full of that sort of patient.

It's like the thing with pharmas claiming a billion dollar cost for new drugs coming to market. Half of that is opportunity cost, ie the money we could have made had we not spent that money on the new drug. It's all fake funny money. Hospitals take a loss on covid patients in the ICU because they planned on putting more profitable patients in those beds and now those beds are occupied.

Apr 7, 2003

and before you say it, yes, this is insanely stupid and why I no longer work for a hospital operator

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
My manager is a long time huskies fan that went to the sugar bowl over new years. Today was his first day back and he was sick lol, wearing a mask fortunately but like we can work from home so why on earth wouldn't he take the day off. Before he left I had mentioned to him that it was a big wave and directly suggested he wear a n-95 at the airports/on the flights cause in the time I've known him he seems kind of germ conscious and he was like "that's a good idea". When he was around sick today I asked him about it and paraphrased he said that he was concerned about it the whole trip but since he probably wasn't going to mask up in the stadium he sort of resigned himself to the possibility and just said gently caress it. I'm not a huge sports guy but I can see why he went, it's sort of historic UW ended up there and he's older so it might literally have been a once in a lifetime chance for something like that but it was just sort of funny talking about it afterwards cause even he was acknowledging that it wasn't like it would have detracted from the experience that much to try to be safer about it.

I think it pretty well speaks to the idea that even the people fairly aware of the situation just don't really think too hard about the actual cost/benefit analysis of doing anything about it themselves. He went "knowing" that without doing anything he could/probably would pick up something and "accepting" that, but in doing so more was treating it like that was the solution. Acknowledging the risk was some sort of magic spell that would preclude him from actually being part of the statistic, worrying about it was the only countermeasure. It wasn't really until getting hit that he was like "yeah I could have simply wore a mask the whole time it wouldn't have really changed my ability to watch the game".

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i have a hard time believing that covid patients are a net negative for hospitals in a vacuum >_> or if that was the case, i'm sure they've corrected the glitch. can totally believe that they're less profitable than other patients that would fill the beds though

i don't think hospitals are competently sinister enough to infect their own patients with covid so they can wring them out in the icu, just to be clear. but i also think if it was a financial drain, they'd slap a mask on those 70 year olds in the geriatric psych ward, or at least a levoit

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tbh the reason a lot of people refuse to mask is that they don’t want anyone to think they’re a weirdo.

Luckily I have a magic spell to erase those thoughts: “I’m taking care of my grandma.” In my case mostly true, but I invite everyone else to make use of it too.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PoundSand posted:

Acknowledging the risk was some sort of magic spell that would preclude him from actually being part of the statistic, worrying about it was the only countermeasure.

Last summer I visited my Midwestern 70-something parents. I asked them to wear masks to the airport when they picked me up. I get through security, they're there, big smiles, no masks. I get up to them and ask them where are their masks? And my mom's all "oh we brought them!" And pulls a couple out of her pocket. Thus began the first of many arguments over the next days where they insist they're using masks and I point out that no, they actually aren't.

I just don't get it.

Apr 7, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

i have a hard time believing that covid patients are a net negative for hospitals in a vacuum >_> or if that was the case, i'm sure they've corrected the glitch. can totally believe that they're less profitable than other patients that would fill the beds though

i don't think hospitals are competently sinister enough to infect their own patients with covid so they can wring them out in the icu, just to be clear. but i also think if it was a financial drain, they'd slap a mask on those 70 year olds in the geriatric psych ward, or at least a levoit

Modern hospitals are finely tuned machines that are all about getting profitable patients in and out. Emergency departments, trauma departments, etc are not profitable compared to that. There's a reason why any given region has one or two level I trauma centers and they are almost always in the shittiest part of town.

The money is in plastic surgery, or transplants, or cancer surgery in facilities that are set up specifically for cancer surgery. Hospital operators plan for the highest profit scenarios and any deviation from those scenarios is a loss.

Apr 7, 2003

https://content.vapotherm.com/hubfs...%20Advisors.pdf

Reimbursement for ventilator management under Medicare for appropriate CPT codes

Nobody's making money on $460/day for vent management compared to other things they could be using that ICU bed for.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You also have to remember that revenue and profit in a modern medical context is some made up hocus pocus poo poo with more similarities to astrology than to like, the P&L for a grocery store

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

You also have to remember that revenue and profit in a modern medical context is some made up hocus pocus poo poo with more similarities to astrology than to like, the P&L for a grocery store

It's a most-profit-possible model and anything less than that is a "loss", yeah

Apr 7, 2003

btw that chart I posted is also full of poo poo, oxygen is not unbilled, it gets billed as a HCPCS code. But that chart is all about crying about unmaximized profits.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's a most-profit-possible model and anything less than that is a "loss", yeah

btw that chart I posted is also full of poo poo, oxygen is not unbilled, it gets billed as a HCPCS code. But that chart is all about crying about unmaximized profits.

also medicare coverage, eligibility, and reimbursement themselves are all like a black hole of logic

i guess a useful analogy would be if there were a bunch of widget factories that operated significantly on government contract revenue at fixed rates, but what the government contracts reimburse for is not widgets but like, "put a screw into something," so you end up with factories that produce Screwy the Screw toys now and nothing else and you better believe the screw factory lobby is swole and making sure nothing about this setup changes

Apr 7, 2003

fwiw the entire goal is to avoid Medicare / Medicaid patients entirely except wrt to end of life / cancer stuff that pays massively.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fwiw the entire goal is to avoid Medicare / Medicaid patients entirely except wrt to end of life / cancer stuff that pays massively.

there's also the insurance industry, aka the other (real?) government

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
A coworker got back from a Christmas/New Year’s trip and is out with Covid. She also took a trip in late August and came back with Covid. At least I can still work from home farrrrr away from everyone.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

lmao I get so loving furious at people that do this dumb bullshit talking about how keeping people in the hospital prints money for hospitals. No, the worst thing possible for a hospital is to have a patient in a bed. This isn't even covid specific, just how hospitals work as you explained. I think hospitals made obscene profits in 2020/2021 from staff cleansing/retirements and then in 2022/2023 they all got hosed in the rear end having to increase pay to be competitive in a labor market that just had millions leave in a year, paying triple rates to travel staff. The theme for 2024 in hospitals is massive budget crunch as everyone is trying to dig out from the hole of paying those travel staff. This is actually great for america as we're still probably millions short in staffing, every single hospital I know of is still understaffed, and I know the volume at my hospital has been twice as much as the before times since the initial omnicron wave. Maybe related to other nearby hospitals being closed for bankruptcy.

I am eternally screaming that someone needs to tell the ED/hospitalists to stop loving ordering dumb bullshit unrelated to admission diagnosis and is also something more appropriate for outpatient follow up, but for some reason nobody wants to tell some random hospitalist/resident to learn how to order appropriately? It is so baffling, like this poo poo costs you thousands of dollars each time they do it.

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

robbing a bank and forcing everyone to wear n95s so nobody can recognize each other or hear what anyone else is saying, and escaping by hiding with the masked people. brilliant!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

my girlfriend's nephew, an adorable 8 month old whose pharmacist mom has not had him vaccinated, just tested positive; likely exposed at the large family party the gf and i skipped because it was a superspreader last year. very hosed!

The adorable 8 month old, whom I normally dawdle on my knee while interrogating him about Kant, went to the hospital, btw, unable to breath with croup, was given steroids and antibiotics, sent home, still isn’t all the way better, parents meeting with pediatrician tomorrow. everything sucks!!!!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Fur20 posted:

robbing a bank and forcing everyone to wear n95s so nobody can recognize each other or hear what anyone else is saying, and escaping by hiding with the masked people. brilliant!

this is getting dangerously close to actual, current, policy-affecting anti-mask rhetoric

Thankfully it looks like both the proposed NYC and Atlanta mask bans got shut down since I last looked into it, but still, lol, lmao. Articles about them appear right alongside other articles pointing out hospital mask mandates starting to return in both of those cities due to the Covid wave. Said articles are also actually CALLING it a Covid wave, by name, which seems like an indication of things being relatively dire after so many months of 'unspecified viral respiratory illness' terminology tango.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Petey posted:

The adorable 8 month old, whom I normally dawdle on my knee while interrogating him about Kant, went to the hospital, btw, unable to breath with croup, was given steroids and antibiotics, sent home, still isn’t all the way better, parents meeting with pediatrician tomorrow. everything sucks!!!!

I'm so sorry; here's to hoping they recover well.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
world is a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This would have been interesting and might have affected policy, if this had come out in a more timely manner. However at this stage I think the most interesting part, beyond the Swedish government presumably having had an inkling at the time and choosing the Tegnell way, is the difference between men and women.
"Sick leave one year after COVID-19 infection: a nationwide cohort study during the first wave in Sweden"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-50413-9 posted:

Abstract
This study aimed to investigate the patterns of sick leave, as well as factors associated with sick leave due to COVID-19 during one year after the COVID-19 diagnosis, and sex-related aspects on sick leave. This nationwide study involved 11,902 individuals who received sickness benefits for COVID-19 during the first wave of the pandemic. Data from three Swedish registries were analyzed for sick leave that commenced between March 1 and August 31, 2020, with a follow-up period of 12 months. Sick leave due to COVID-19 was counted as the number of days with sickness benefits and required to include at least one registered COVID-19 diagnosis. The median duration of sick leave was 35 days, and 347 (2.9%) individuals continued their sick leave during the entire follow-up period. Furthermore, 1 year later, the cumulative incidence of sick leave was slightly higher in males (3.5%) compared to females (2.7%). Older age, being single with no children, diagnosed with the virus, medium income level, history of sick leave, and need for inpatient care were significantly associated with a higher duration of sick leave due to COVID-19, both in the total population and when stratified by sex. These results indicated that three out of 100 (3%) patients were still on sick leave 1 year after their COVID-19 diagnosis. Aspects regarding the importance of sick leave duration differed between males and females and comprised sociodemographic characteristics and need for inpatient care. The results indicated the complexity of sick leave due to COVID-19.
(..)
Figure 1

Distribution of sick leave days during one year after the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
(..)