Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

then again g-witch is about as interested in classism as geass was in racism.

Which is kind of insane when the show presents a setting where corporations are squeezing the life out of the people in the name of profit.

But hey, Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arc Hammer posted:

Presumably there's poor working class spacians too besides the drone miners at Mercury. Not everyone in space can afford the rich corpo rat lifestyle and not every company mobile suit pilot is a corporate scion who went to Asticassia. They'd be the ones who I could see needing prosthetics, like Olcott has.

Besides Olcott the only other spacians seen post-porlogue who aren't rich kids are presumably the Elan body doubles, and that depends on of the show intended for them to be Spacian orphans or not, since it doesn't confirm where they came from, just that they took Peil's assignments.
The story's implication seems to be that spacians, while they may vary, are privileged as a bloc contra the earthnoids. WfM doesn't really go deep in how this thing is meant to make space safer and comfier: does it mean that it's NBD if you lose your hand or leg because you can get a GUND format prosthetic? (People did not seem agitated at Prospera's arm.) Or is it something like 'if everyone's living in the data storm then space colonies are easy!'

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

The story's implication seems to be that spacians, while they may vary, are privileged as a bloc contra the earthnoids. WfM doesn't really go deep in how this thing is meant to make space safer and comfier: does it mean that it's NBD if you lose your hand or leg because you can get a GUND format prosthetic? (People did not seem agitated at Prospera's arm.) Or is it something like 'if everyone's living in the data storm then space colonies are easy!'

Not agitated, but they do seem surprised, and the only other character we see with major prosthetics is shown to be working with GUND-ARM on trials. It's unclear if Petra's legs are from GUND, but most of what we see from the show suggests that high quality cybernetics are rare, especially with the whole crusade against Gundams 20 years back wiping out the leading research centers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am really disappointed G-Witch never actually showed us Mercury. It's important to the protagonist but we just get it described in the loosest terms and it would have been genuinely super cool to see it in some fashion. Heck, even if it was just in the ending scene.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

You can't beat F91's villain motivation of "I am extremely divorced"

I want a remake of F91 where they just dig real deep into that as his every motivation. You know, like a modern day tech CEO.

Kanos posted:

Athrun in Destiny is a wishy-washy dork who has overcooked noodles in place of a spinal column and consistently fails to articulate a coherent opinion of his own for the almost the entire series until he just gives up and rejoins the Archangel so he can just parrot Kira's opinion again. The closest thing he ever gets to making his own argument is when he tells Kira to gently caress off because he's making things worse and then Kira dismantles Athrun's mobile suit and then Athrun never holds that opinion again despite the fact that Kira didn't actually talk him out of it.

Athrun changes his entire life's motivation on a whim any time a surly teenager yells at him enough. He would never survive twitter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Nuebot posted:

Athrun changes his entire life's motivation on a whim any time a surly teenager yells at him enough. He would never survive twitter.

Presumably this is how the Cosmic Era gets its Moonlight Butterfly treatment.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I want a remake of F91 where they just dig real deep into that as his every motivation. You know, like a modern day tech CEO.

While F91 has a lot of good story ideas and plot threads that could be a really good Gundam (and you can still have the bad guy be Carozzo too) at this point it'd probably be better to take them and do them in a completely new Gundam series cause Bandai Namco sure ain't ever gonna animate anything around F91

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While F91 has a lot of good story ideas and plot threads that could be a really good Gundam (and you can still have the bad guy be Carozzo too) at this point it'd probably be better to take them and do them in a completely new Gundam series cause Bandai Namco sure ain't ever gonna animate anything around F91

I just really like the F91. Plus it's probably the closest we'll ever get to a crossbone anime no matter how bad that series' story is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I just really like the F91. Plus it's probably the closest we'll ever get to a crossbone anime no matter how bad that series' story is.

I mean, it feels weird to describe it as a Crossbones anime when F91 came first.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wanna know how many people have actually read Crossbone. Other than the MS design Crossbone isn’t very good.

Crossbone more like cross-BLOWS am I right?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, it feels weird to describe it as a Crossbones anime when F91 came first.

Understandable though because ignoring quality and levels of canon Crossbone is the one of the two that's the actual substantial and completed work

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I didn't describe it as a crossbones anime, I said it was the closest we'll get since a few of the character in it show up in crossbones.

ManSedan posted:

I wanna know how many people have actually read Crossbone. Other than the MS design Crossbone isn’t very good.

I haven't read it all, nor have I ever met anyone who thought the story actually was good. The robots are just cool and it'd be fun to watch them fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think crossbone has moments but is a bit too meandering shonen for its own good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think crossbone has moments but is a bit too meandering shonen for its own good

Also, the art is bad on quite a lot of different levels. Apart from anything else, it seems like the characters only have, like, four expressions each.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ManSedan posted:

I read all of Crossbone until Ghost (which, last time I checked, wasn't translated) and I liked it a lot, but I know I'm in the minority in this thread about that.

Won't deny the art is bad though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nuebot posted:

I just really like the F91.

The F91 rules, and I love its dumb armor-shedding mechanic. It makes no goddamn sense, but it looks so cool in the finale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crossbone has like a couple of fun moments in the middle of the most boring generic shonen story out there and the cool robot designs aren't really enough to carry it on its own.

Also it has probably the single most implausible survival-of-death in Gundam outside of Mu La Flaga.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

I just really like the F91.

Please show some respect and refer to it by its proper name the F91 Gundam F91.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endorph posted:

g-witch is sort of at odds with itself because the main character is a poor spacian from a very disadvantaged community and this is never really made relevant to the class struggles once. not even in the context of chuchu commenting on the difference between miorine and suletta.

then again g-witch is about as interested in classism as geass was in racism.

I feel like from the Earthian perspective, all Spacians are Those Rich Turds oppressing them. Heck, Chu-Chu's whole initial arc is recognising through Suletta that yes, there are Spacians as disadvantaged as her and her community, it's just (for obvious reasons) they don't interact with Earthians much. After seeing how much they have in common, she's perfectly willing to accept Suletta as a member of Earth House.

And given Suletta's talking about another school on Earth (presumably in addition to the one or more she's founded on Mercury - and I wouldn't be surprised that she also helped rebuild Asticassia - which Chu-Chu is happily working alongside Spacians to do) in the epilogue, I figure that they're trying to make things better for disavantaged people across the Earth Sphere regardless of where they're from or where they live. Granted the plot could have given it a bit more focus but the intent was there, at least as far as I can see.

Nessus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that if you're advantaged enough to live in Asticassia-style habitats full-time you're at least insulated from many of the risks of living in space that the GUND format is meant to solve. If you're one of the poor bastards who has to work for a living on Mercury or whatever then you're at much greater risk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The F91 rules, and I love its dumb armor-shedding mechanic. It makes no goddamn sense, but it looks so cool in the finale.

I like how its torso looks kind of like a cool car

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nuebot posted:

I like how its torso looks kind of like a cool car

They don’t call it Formula 91 Gundam Formula 91 for nothing!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that if you're advantaged enough to live in Asticassia-style habitats full-time you're at least insulated from many of the risks of living in space that the GUND format is meant to solve. If you're one of the poor bastards who has to work for a living on Mercury or whatever then you're at much greater risk.

I wonder if ol man grassley was just old or if it was meant to be space diseases too. Its a land of contrasts. Some people lose an arm, others get super fat, babies get dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Synthbuttrange posted:

I wonder if ol man grassley was just old or if it was meant to be space diseases too. Its a land of contrasts. Some people lose an arm, others get super fat, babies get dead.

Sarius could have been an interesting illustration of the concept, but they don't put his illness down to space-itis and his generational contemporaries in the same income bracket(Delling and Vim) are both just fine when they'd almost definitely have similar maladies since you can't really resist the kinds of diseases that space living is supposed to inflict on people by being built different.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

Sarius could have been an interesting illustration of the concept, but they don't put his illness down to space-itis and his generational contemporaries in the same income bracket(Delling and Vim) are both just fine when they'd almost definitely have similar maladies since you can't really resist the kinds of diseases that space living is supposed to inflict on people by being built different.
I figured his rear end was just old. I'm not sure how old they were supposed to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

I figured his rear end was just old. I'm not sure how old they were supposed to be.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was just very old and had old age health problems.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sarius is just Uncle Ruckus.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I finished Seed Destiny, and I kind of liked it?

Yeah there’s definitely lame parts like Cagalli getting bamboozled in the beginning when she’s pushed to accept a treaty between Orb and Earth Forces, then oh no Orb got drafted into another war, then oh no she’s getting pushed into a political marriage. Though it does lead to Kira crashing the wedding with his Gundam, and i find the idea funny that Kira is like “ZAFT terrorists do a colony drop? I sit and look sad. My girlfriend is a target of political assassination? My sister is marrying someone that isn’t my best friend?? Real poo poo, time to beam spam with the Freedom Gundam.”

There’s been discussion of Arthrun being dumb, but like the idea that he wants to do something to solve the situation and see if Chairman Durandal is a good a guy everyone thinks. But in hindsight you can see Durandal manipulating Arthrun to trust him, first by assigning Yzak and Dearka as his attaché, who of course ask Arthrun to come back to ZAFT, Meer, and giving Arthrun a special promotion and Gundam. It’s all very calculated and plays into Durandal’s belief of placing everyone in their ‘assigned roles’ by slowly placing Arthrun back to where he was at the beginning of Seed. And to me half of his arguments against Kira is half trying to convince himself that he’s on the right side. It isn’t until Arthrun isn’t as deep in the cool aid to Durandal’s liking and is marked for death by not accepting his ‘role’ that Arthrun realizes the extent of the Chairman’s madness.

It’s also around this time that I also feel real bad for Meer. Poor girl is a perfect example of Durandal’s Destiny Plan absolutely destroying a person.

Same with Shin. I really liked his slow fall from grace, even with Arthrun trying to mentor him at times; my favorite is Ep 17 where he relates to Shin experiencing loss and wanting power to never experience that loss again, but warns him that once he attains that power then he’ll be the one inflicting that pain of loss on others. But little by little with manipulations from Durandal and Rey, Shin becomes the very thing he hates; a destroyer who fights for his own self-righteousness. My favorite dramatic irony moment is Ep 38 when Shin yells about the Exceeded being nothing more than weapons, when he’s been conditioned to be one himself by this point.

So yeah, even if it got bodied in the end I like the Destiny Gundam and want to get a Gunpla kit of it :laugh:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I think its fine to feel like Destiny had some good ideas, most of are not a fan of the execution or the choices, but there are some threads in there that better written would have been very good and probably memorable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Sarius is just Uncle Ruckus.
I did think he bore a resemblance to Grandpa Freeman, but I don't think the Freeman Gundam is something that Bandai is ready for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tell that to SEED Freeman.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think its fine to feel like Destiny had some good ideas, most of are not a fan of the execution or the choices, but there are some threads in there that better written would have been very good and probably memorable.

This is ultimately the issue with SEED and Destiny, imo. The ideas are fine - hell half of them are just cribbed from UC series. They're just executed badly and occasionally in ways that outright undermine the character development from earlier in the series and whatnot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the destiny gundam is cool

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Other than the early stuff with Cagalli being lame, despite the point being she's inexperienced in leading Orb while sticking to its ideals at the beginning, I didn't really think anyone's character development was being undermined in Destiny.

edit:

Endorph posted:

the destiny gundam is cool

Agreed, too bad it's wasted on Durandal-pilled Shin

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Destiny Gundam rules and is much better then strike freedom as a design.

Destiny itself is trash but it has a lot of decent ideas it just botches almost all of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My big problem with Destiny Gundam, which I otherwise like, is the completely inexplicable choice to give it palm mounted laser canons despite the fact its palms are almost always occupied.

Lowe has a Shining Finger too but at least in his case it is 'accidentally overloading the palm power supply' and not an intentional design choice.

If isn't quite '00 Gundam stuck its super valuable reactors on its shoulders' bad but it bugs me, especially since all the other ZAFT nuclear Gundams are designed around being able to use all of their weapons at once.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with Destiny Gundam, which I otherwise like, is the completely inexplicable choice to give it palm mounted laser canons despite the fact its palms are almost always occupied.

Lowe has a Shining Finger too but at least in his case it is 'accidentally overloading the palm power supply' and not an intentional design choice.

If isn't quite '00 Gundam stuck its super valuable reactors on its shoulders' bad but it bugs me, especially since all the other ZAFT nuclear Gundams are designed around being able to use all of their weapons at once.

I don't mind the Destiny palm cannons, but that's mostly because it gives me an infinite use mini-Shining Finger in Gundam Breaker 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't mind the Destiny palm cannons, but that's mostly because it gives me an infinite use mini-Shining Finger in Gundam Breaker 3.

Oh yeah Destiny Finger in GB3 was *hilariously* broken.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBF, it is capable of wielding its sword one-handed, so giving someone the world's most hostile facepalm in close quarters isn't that much of a challenge.

Honestly, I actually kind of respect the Strike Freedom for how elegant and ergonomic its design is. Every part serves a purpose, letting its pilot choose the perfect tool for the job with a minimum of fuss.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1745289427910377674?t=o6TGGub0_IZtj08WeaIM0A&s=19

New promo inage for the Urdr Hunt anime.

Check the reflection.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, it is capable of wielding its sword one-handed, so giving someone the world's most hostile facepalm in close quarters isn't that much of a challenge.

Honestly, I actually kind of respect the Strike Freedom for how elegant and ergonomic its design is. Every part serves a purpose, letting its pilot choose the perfect tool for the job with a minimum of fuss.

I absolutely hate the gaudy design of the Strike Freedom but it's very goddamn effective as a mobile suit design. Brimming with weapons, hand-free defenses against beam and physical attacks, likewise capable of doing beam or physical attacks in response as needed, its beam rifles can be deployed separate for faster firing or combined for heavier hitting, its beam sabers can do the same. (How does combining two swords into one darth maul saber make things stronger? gently caress you, that's how, the Gelgoog doesn't need to explain poo poo to you.) Even its drat wings are multi-purpose since they improve its flight capabilities in atmosphere and can be spun off into funnels in space.

In terms of a general all-purpose mobile suit that can be effective in almost every situation it is hard to beat. Maybe not underwater but that is true of most mobile suits. That is why the Acguy is the true pinnacle of mobile suit design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 11, 2024