Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kazil posted:

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/FL.html

Still probably going to hurt Dems more than GOP

That's 2020 when Trump was specifically making GBS threads on VBM.

2018 general was even split VBM. The primary had more republican VBM.

2016 and 2014 generals and primaries had more republican VBM.

2022 had a slight edge for democratic VBM in the general, but not much. 2020 is an outlier specifically because of covid and Trump attacking VBM openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Grey Cat posted:

How on earth could they possibly think they could argue double jeopardy?

E: "think"

They don't, as much as each challenge they throw at it requires a response, which eats up time, since his goal is to make it back to being president and then pardoning himself, or at least putting all this poo poo off another 4 yrs and continuing the delay cycle because 'you can't charge a sitting president'.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's 2020 when Trump was specifically making GBS threads on VBM.

2018 general was even split VBM. The primary had more republican VBM.

2016 and 2014 generals and primaries had more republican VBM.

2022 had a slight edge for democratic VBM in the general, but not much. 2020 is an outlier specifically because of covid and Trump attacking VBM openly.

Arguably, 2020 popularized vote by mail, for reasons, and it will be affect Dems more going forward.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

morningdrew posted:

Tag yourself, I'm Pipedaddy and I work at amazon

whiskey tango foxtrot?!

haha these are good memes

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Joking aside, it seems pretty clear by now that Trump himself has been given a ton of leeway to waste the court's time with stupid motions, and the worse consequence he's seeing is his attorneys having to pay fines. Of course he's going to be throwing every single stupid hail mary at the wall just in case one of them sticks for some reason or other.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The big question is, is Trump going to get off his fat orange rear end and leave Mar-a-Lago and actually go to the polls to vote; or is he going to do like he did last election, and scream that voting by mail is RIGGED AND STOLLEN even as he himself votes by mail
remember when trump went on those long rants about "chain migration" while melania's parents were being brought into the country and made citizens by use of chain migration?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

So it's separation of powers that prevents them from charging him, but also he was acquitted by one branch which should then apply to the other? Even though it's separate? Is it separate or not, make up your mind!
he doesn't have to. trump exists in quantum linear superposition. everything trump does exists in limbo until you look at it, then it is exactly what trump needs it to be, then goes back to being in limbo until it's looked at again. at all times everything trump does is potential and nothing more. you can't charge a guy for potential can you?? luckily at all times, everything is 100% exonerating of trump as well. you just have to look at it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump is re-enacting that scene in Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks is wounded and shooting his pistol at the tank and it’s doing nothing. Then by some miracle American planes come in and bomb the tank, saving him and the bridge.

What I’m saying is that we can either be the tank or the Americans in that scene with the election this year.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

This should be fun

lol @ the Afghanistan pullout president trying to shift the blame to BIDEN!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

Arguably, 2020 popularized vote by mail, for reasons, and it will be affect Dems more going forward.

The question I have is, what happens when VBM is eliminated. Does that energize Dems to go out in person because more of them were appreciative of VBM?

It's one thing to look at VBM-vs-in-person R/D patterns when both are available, but if VBM gets banned then all bets are off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

These are all issues that federal courts have already resolved and said, "Shut the gently caress up, Donnie," so these are going to get slammed down fast.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

These are all issues that federal courts have already resolved and said, "Shut the gently caress up, Donnie," so these are going to get slammed down fast.

I was going to say, isn't this inviting sanctions because all of these exact arguments have already been made and denied, and also because nothing has changed?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WE HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS, THIS IS DOUBLE JEOPARDY

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

loving what drugs and math are you on

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 8, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Double jeopardy seems to be interpreted extremely narrowly in practice (e.g. I think you can basically get tried at the federal and state level for the same charges and that isn't considered double jeopardy), so the idea that impeachment, which isn't even criminal prosecution, means that you can't get prosecuted seems ridiculous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was going to say, isn't this inviting sanctions because all of these exact arguments have already been made and denied, and also because nothing has changed?

I doubt they'd get sanctions here since they haven't tried the tactics in Georgia courts. They'll get pointed to the existing rulings and that'll end it unless Trump's attorneys find a specific twist in Georgia law that changes things (they won't). And even in federal court, this isn't the kind of thing that brings down sanctions unless you do something extra stupid with it like have an AI make up cases that support you or something crazy like that.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

drat Felatio Blow didn't get a mention.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Double jeopardy seems to be interpreted extremely narrowly in practice (e.g. I think you can basically get tried at the federal and state level for the same charges and that isn't considered double jeopardy), so the idea that impeachment, which isn't even criminal prosecution, means that you can't get prosecuted seems ridiculous.

Ya, the argument seems pretty dumb.

quote:

The three judicial impeachment trials of the 1980s support the conclusion that the Senate does not view impeachment trials as instances of jeopardy within the meaning of the Double Jeopardy Clause. The Hastings case, moreover, demonstrates that the Senate sees no difference between prior acquittal and prior
conviction in this regard.

We conclude that the Constitution permits a former President to be criminally prosecuted for the same offenses for which he was impeached by the House and acquitted by the Senate while in office.
https://www.justice.gov/file/19386/download

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Everything I know about double jeopardy I learned from the U.S Marshals knock off also starring Tommy lee Jones and therefore

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

mystes posted:

You see, your honor, I cannot be prosecuted for sexually harassing my coworker because I was sent to the principals office as a child for pulling a girl's hair in 1st grade.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Everything I know about double jeopardy I learned from the U.S Marshals knock off also starring Tommy lee Jones and therefore

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dr_rat posted:

lol, what sort of idiot does two, it's one or three!!!

What you say!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Trump Won! in a VR simulator

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
:byodood: Every generation knows Rightful President Trump won!
[picture my parents forced me to take while we waited for a table at Old Country Buffet for my highschool graduation dinner]

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Kid needs to be bullied, hard

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO just the best loving lawyers

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Where is the factory in Brazil that keeps making these

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ah 6ix9ine. The guy who may CSAM. No wonder he's a Trump guy!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Trump is just that great! Even dirtbags are jumping on the train!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

He's going to be a felon by the election

1st candidate for President who legally can't vote for himself.

!!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

drat Felatio Blow didn't get a mention.

I was going to say the same thing, my how the mighty have fallen. How could they forget his "nephew" like that?

Isn't 6ix9ine a snitch? If there is ONE thing a low rent mob boss like "TRUMP" doesn't like, it's snitches!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1744355435551846508

Were they the ones with the civil war shirts?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Or were they the ones with no connection to the FBI and had years of verifiable online nazi posting?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Man it would be rad to see professional douche do his schtick at a proud boys thing, but they might actually get violent with him

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Escape From Noise posted:

Hey just cause he posts in C-SPAM doesn't mean tha-

...oh, I see

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aramis posted:

Joking aside, it seems pretty clear by now that Trump himself has been given a ton of leeway to waste the court's time with stupid motions, and the worse consequence he's seeing is his attorneys having to pay fines. Of course he's going to be throwing every single stupid hail mary at the wall just in case one of them sticks for some reason or other.

Also, his real and only hope: DELAY DELAY DELAY, and hope he gets elected and then... TOTAL EXONERATION

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DoUbLe JeOpArDy, bro!!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Grey Cat posted:

Or were they the ones with no connection to the FBI and had years of verifiable online nazi posting?

Are you trying to say that....*scoff*....nazi's that were posting nazi stuff for years were actually nazi's?!

No, no, no, that was the FBI!

Who else would it be.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The question I have is, what happens when VBM is eliminated. Does that energize Dems to go out in person because more of them were appreciative of VBM?

It's one thing to look at VBM-vs-in-person R/D patterns when both are available, but if VBM gets banned then all bets are off.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll make voting in person as difficult as possible in heavy Dem areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1744106260205556173