Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

hey man, dont fly over another country because when you blow up thatd be embarassing, stick to domestic routes ok? -most honorable secretary pete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

yeah but those things have several engines and can fly without them all so actually…

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Acelerion posted:

Just saw the head of the ntsb say parents should do the responsible thing and put infants under 2 yo in their own seat with belts so they don't get sucked out the plane. You gonna pay for that ticket motherfucker?

They’ve been recommending you buy a seat and use a car seat for kids < 2 for a number of years now. They’re just using this as a reason to bring it up again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

4. Aliens (woo)

If the aliens are anything like me when I play stellaris, I would not want this outcome.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Zodium posted:

biosphere collapse ftw

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i guess you could say it worked out in this specific incident but lol

quote:

Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.

The jet had been prevented from making long-haul flights over water, said Jennifer Homendy of the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). Speaking at a news conference, Ms Homendy said pilots reported pressurisation warning lights on three previous flights made by the specific Alaska Airlines Max 9 involved in the incident.

The decision to restrict lengthy flights over water was so that the plane "could return very quickly to an airport" in the event the warnings happened again, the NTSB chief added.

It is not clear if there is a link between the issues that led to those warnings, and the issue that caused the blowout on 5 January.
good morning everyone, and welcome aboard today's flight. due to several unexplained safety alerts, this plane is not permitted to make fly over water, but in the event of an in-flight emergency today we believe there should be enough time to reach an airfield before whatever it is causes a hull loss

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1744356027607499079

lol given the recurring fast food chat itt

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

They’ve been recommending you buy a seat and use a car seat for kids < 2 for a number of years now. They’re just using this as a reason to bring it up again.

absolutely insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPdAraGyAs

although funny that the dad just does gently caress all playing on his flip phone in the official video while the wife does all the work

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wahts the status on those costgo hotdogs today

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

all you have to do to gain weight in America is not exercise. doesn’t require any eating of fast food whatsoever; just drive around all day and eat three meals.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it was a bad idea to turn transportation into another form of sitting

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jel Shaker posted:

absolutely insane

although funny that the dad just does gently caress all playing on his flip phone in the official video while the wife does all the work

Imagine the feeling of trying to strap a car seat into a window seat, with less space to work in than a car, while half of the passengers are staring daggers into the back of your head and wishing you get sucked out the plane.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Media is going to make it out to seem like work from home caused this

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

loquacius posted:

it would be kind of funny if China ended up solving the entire problem by itself and Americans assumed that just means it was never a real problem

How would China solve the problem on its own, though? Unless there's some miracle technology that comes out of nowhere, I don't know how climate change is something one country can solve on its own. Or am I just reading too much into your joke?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Imagine the feeling of trying to strap a car seat into a window seat, with less space to work in than a car, while half of the passengers are staring daggers into the back of your head and wishing you get sucked out the plane.

We did that for our daughter when flying to visit my father-in-law exactly once. In a few weeks we're gonna have to do it again with her little brother, while also dealing with a 3-year-old at the airport :shepicide:

oh yeah, there's the added bonus of having to carry a loving carseat around the loving airport

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

How would China solve the problem on its own, though? Unless there's some miracle technology that comes out of nowhere, I don't know how climate change is something one country can solve on its own. Or am I just reading too much into your joke?

I was riffing off another poster's joke, it wasn't even my joke

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

poemdexter posted:

step out of the aisle and u can do whatever u want, I don’t care

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

That's not funny, it's the normal way of doing things

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Absolute fools selling Boeing stock today. What are they gonna do, face consequences? :lmao: loving idiots!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

The cockpit voice recorder, which captures sounds such as engine noises and pilots’ voices, was “completely overwritten,” since devices are currently only required to retain two hours of audio at a time, Homendy said.

“There is nothing on the cockpit voice recorder,” she said, noting the maintenance team went out to get the recorder around the two-hour mark when the devices begin a new recording cycle.

“We’re disappointed that the cockpit voice recorder was overwritten,” Homendy said Monday.

The audio captured by the recorders is “critical” to helping investigators understand what occurred during the incident, Homendy said. Without it, there is no record of communications between pilots and flight attendants as the crisis was unfolding.

“If that communication is not recorded, that is, unfortunately, a loss for (the NTSB), and a loss for the FAA and a loss for safety because that information is key not just for our investigation, but for improving aviation safety,” Homendy said.

shame.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

loquacius posted:

We did that for our daughter when flying to visit my father-in-law exactly once. In a few weeks we're gonna have to do it again with her little brother, while also dealing with a 3-year-old at the airport :shepicide:

oh yeah, there's the added bonus of having to carry a loving carseat around the loving airport

i wouldn’t bother, just check the seat in and bribe the kid with bluey + frozen + lolly pops for several hours to stay still

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i wouldn’t bother, just check the seat in and bribe the kid with bluey + frozen + lolly pops for several hours to stay still

to clarify, the 3-year-old will not be using a carseat on the plane, the 8-month-old who doesn't know or care what a Bluey is will be needing one though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

By winning world war 3

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

im doing my part o7

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Make sure the crash happens in a business-friendly jurisdiction.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Inflation is finally over
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1744388842595963104?t=ioHDjHv8GR3sSePAc-i8yA&s=19

Wednesday is the day crypto goes legit.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1744388281196847173?t=bu7XxVP5fpf9n-pf14gWOQ&s=19

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jel Shaker posted:

absolutely insane

https://twitter.com/professorbay/status/1622597111979323393

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

all you have to do to gain weight in America is not exercise. doesn’t require any eating of fast food whatsoever; just drive around all day and eat three meals.

reminds me of a post on reddit asking why this guy's house wasn't selling and consensus was that the eight steps from the rear deck down to the yard were a "dealbreaker for anyone approaching middle age"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

reminds me of a post on reddit asking why this guy's house wasn't selling and consensus was that the eight steps from the rear deck down to the yard were a "dealbreaker for anyone approaching middle age"

the failarmy youtube clips are full of fat people falling down those kind of steps, anything more than a gentle incline is a death trap to most people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Car Hater posted:

Five
Five dollar
Five dollar soft drink

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Florida passed a law requiring condo HOAs to have minimum reserves after that collapse in Miami a few years ago. The results are as predicted.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

Florida passed a law requiring condo HOAs to have minimum reserves after that collapse in Miami a few years ago. The results are as predicted.

:yeshaha: orlando was a mistake

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

also if anyone needs a 4TB NVME, they've got em for $25.

no they do not. do not encourage people to buy $25 4TB SSDs and get shipped reprogrammed 32GB drives

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

no they do not. do not encourage people to buy $25 4TB SSDs and get shipped reprogrammed 32GB drives

yeah theres a reason theyre that cheap and the reason is to con rubes

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

poemdexter posted:

It's genuinely not that bad. Step out of the aisle, put down car seat, thread seat belt through holder things, buckle, tighten, strap in kid and you're done.

The lovely part is getting the car seat onto the plane with bags and child.

Well that and the fact that the car seat can block the person in front of child from reclining all the way so they get pissy.

And the fact that airlines barely do courtesy boarding for families anymore. On JetBlue you go after the rich people account havers, credit card holders, exit row buyers and olds.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

And the fact that airlines barely do courtesy boarding for families anymore. On JetBlue you go after the rich people account havers, credit card holders, exit row buyers and olds.

true but usually there's still a "passengers with special needs" boarding call and if you show up with a X-month old they won't give you a hard time about it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

poemdexter posted:

I’ve done it. I had a game plan and had at strap it in fast. it’s a pain but did it. I bought a car seat cart attachment so I can wheel my kid in car seat throughout the airport.

the hardest part is carrying the bulky thing down the aisle. thankfully my spouse was carrying the kid. doing it alone would be very difficult

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

this is the poo poo that absolutely gets me foaming mad

just like boeing tried to blame the lion air pilots who saw exactly what was happening within eight seconds and fought like hell to save themselves and their passengers from a cost-cut death machine, but what they needed to do was not physically, humanly possible and it killed them

are you thinking of the ethiopian airlines pilots that had to try to hand-crank the stabilizer?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Beached Whale posted:

Reminds me of when I worked for WaMu in mortgage servicing and I'd get people screaming about their escrow or their ARM adjusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They should do boarding by window seats first, then middle seats, then aisles. No children or groups allowed to fly, just single dudes with 1 carry on bag. And not any dudes, the bald ones with glasses and tucked in shirts who are fit and wear n95s.

I would fix this country so fast if I were in charge.