Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should just board back to front but they have to make everyone walk past the first class people and get jealous of their sick $$$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Chad Sexington posted:

It's genuinely not that bad. Step out of the aisle, put down car seat, thread seat belt through holder things, buckle, tighten, strap in kid and you're done.

The lovely part is getting the car seat onto the plane with bags and child.

Well that and the fact that the car seat can block the person in front of child from reclining all the way so they get pissy.

And the fact that airlines barely do courtesy boarding for families anymore. On JetBlue you go after the rich people account havers, credit card holders, exit row buyers and olds.

Depends on the airline and location. Air France/charles de Gaule don’t give a gently caress about families but even in the U.S. for international and domestic flights most airlines have priority boarding for families.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

they should let me sit in the pilots seat like its a big tonka toy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In Training posted:

They should just board back to front but they have to make everyone walk past the first class people and get jealous of their sick $$$$$

This is how boarding zones usually work (once first class has finished boarding)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mandel Brotset posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol oh no, won't someone think of the descendants of immense wealth

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202401070007

quote:

Who are 'The Missing Billionaires,' and what can we learn from them? Submitted

When Cornelius Vanderbilt, the 19th century rail and shipping tycoon, died in 1877, he was the wealthiest man in the world.

Yet, no Vanderbilt family member today can source their wealth to the immense fortune he left.

“By the 1950s, there was not a single descendant of Cornelius who was a millionaire, let alone a billionaire,” wrote the authors of “The Missing Billionaires: A Guide to Better Financial Decisions.”

Co-authors Victor Haghani and James White use the Vanderbilts in their personal finance book to demonstrate how (remarkably) few billionaires today are heirs of old money.

With an ample head start, it would seem that the heirs of fortunes made a century ago should greatly outnumber new-money arrivals on the Forbes list of richest people.

That’s not the case, the authors contend.

So, they ask — what happened to all the billionaires?

“As of 2022, Forbes estimated there are just over 700 billionaires in the United States, and you’ll struggle to find a single one who traces his or her wealth to a millionaire ancestor from 1900,” the authors wrote.

This is despite the fact that if a family with $5 million in 1900 had simply invested in the U.S. stock market and spent at a reasonable rate, that family would have spawned 16 billionaire families today, the authors write. It’s therefore no wonder that so many regular folks struggle when it comes to managing their financial affairs, considering that wealthy families with access to the best resources and advice don’t always get it right themselves.

there are no organic narratives and I have no idea what purpose this narrative is supposed to serve

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

... and the reason is to con rubes

"con the rubes" is the first bullet point in any pitch deck.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In Training posted:

The one time I flew economy on an Emirates A380, the first class cabin had it's own jetway and even business class was hidden behind a curtain.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

lmao

https://twitter.com/4DaM3m3z/status/1744387681797472583

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

there are no organic narratives and I have no idea what purpose this narrative is supposed to serve

we know exactly where the vanderbilt fortune went: they spent it. They spent it on houses and cars and horses and parties and weddings and divorces and jewelry and clothes and trains.

I think the narrative is to rally support for the billionaires and the inheritors of the billionaires.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Generational wealth/advantage is a myth, today's billionaires earned their wealth fair and square, capitalism works for everyone equally

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

poemdexter posted:

Imagine the feeling of trying to strap a car seat into a window seat, with less space to work in than a car, while half of the passengers are staring daggers into the back of your head and wishing you get sucked out the plane.

Car seats actually get certified for plane use; I’m sure people do try to use non-certified, and it might work, but technically it’s not allowed.

But also, that’s why you pick up the Cosco Scenera at Walmart: can be got for cheap when on sale, certified to fly, relatively compact, fits kids < 2 years, and pretty light weight.

Having flown with our young kids a number of times, I honestly can’t imagine not using a car seat when they’re that small, if only from a safety perspective.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Mandel Brotset posted:

Do pilots still hand out those wing pins to kids? Give me one of those but for adults.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The people that post "actually I'm all muscle" used to at least be aware that BMI is not a percentage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

netizen posted:

Do pilots still hand out those wing pins to kids? Give me one of those but for adults.

Only to first class

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I think this is just a puff piece generated to fill the Post Gazette's content needs and also help the book author find rich people who want to try to preserve generational wealth.

This story gets repeated a lot in personal finance realms during estate planning discussions. The easy narrative is that early generations make the money and, at some point, the spoiled children dissipate it all unless you set up a trust and other financial vehicles designed to protect your descendants from themselves.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

This might be where I expose myself to yet more ridicule from this thread, but I thought people didn't bother with child seats for airplanes (unless you're dealing with an infant, I guess) and just went straight for special extra harnesses.

https://www.amsafe.com/kidsflysafe-com/

I don't know if this would have helped for that Alaska Air blowout though.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

The Oldest Man posted:

this is the poo poo that absolutely gets me foaming mad

just like boeing tried to blame the lion air pilots who saw exactly what was happening within eight seconds and fought like hell to save themselves and their passengers from a cost-cut death machine, but what they needed to do was not physically, humanly possible and it killed them

Max8 pax were just dying for the economy before COVID made it mainstream.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

'We aren't billionaires, please don't pay attention to the institutions our ancestors set up to make sure we don't actually have to work. Don't examine this too closely.'

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

The people that post "actually I'm all muscle" used to at least be aware that BMI is not a percentage.

i have very dense bones. too much calcium.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

maybe worry about that when the average american gets more than 30 minutes of exercise a week. looking at this chart, he's definitely an outlier (panel B).

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0194697

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

This might be where I expose myself to yet more ridicule from this thread, but I thought people didn't bother with child seats for airplanes (unless you're dealing with an infant, I guess) and just went straight for special extra harnesses.

https://www.amsafe.com/kidsflysafe-com/

I don't know if this would have helped for that Alaska Air blowout though.

CARES is FAA certified for kids > 1, but still typically not recommended by a lot of pediatricians and others. It’s better than if you were just strapping them into a seat or holding them, but still not as safe as a car seat.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i am harry posted:

all you have to do to gain weight in America is not exercise. doesn’t require any eating of fast food whatsoever; just drive around all day and eat three meals.

or you could just not eat that much because a "meal" from a fast food joint should be like a single burger and nothing else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The time is now to cute rates.
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1744416109401391534?t=8768EoIMC5_tB9axpQnsnQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1744416558581964973?t=7m7BIPV8alo2KeqMnzCR_w&s=19

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I've tried this line recently with someone I know in Florida and a common clapback is "How is the Plymouth rock not underwater, einstein" because grandma fw:fw:fw:fw emails went around with these images

The fact it's been moved a million times, chipped up for souvenirs and this has been debunked by most major news outlets doesn't matter. The fact the rock has been dry for 400 years means houses are forever.

The rock is dry. If you are arguing with objective proof that the rock is dry you are wrong and have some kind of agenda. I'm going to sit in my beach house by the dry rocks.

The original location is underwater and the inland location it was moved to is also occasionally underwater anyway

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Gearhead posted:

'We aren't billionaires, please don't pay attention to the institutions our ancestors set up to make sure we don't actually have to work. Don't examine this too closely.'

I was wondering why Victor Haghani's name was familiar. He was part of Long Term Capital Management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-Term_Capital_Management

This was a big meltdown that predates most of your births, so I just thought this was worth pointing out.

quote:

The biggest blunders in financial planning, at all wealth levels, come when a family’s or individual’s spending, investing and appetite for risk is out of proportion with what they can afford, especially as their life circumstances change.

“It’s really more of a ‘how to’ rather than a ‘what to do’ book, Mr. Haghani said. “We try to give people a framework for making their decisions rather than telling them what they should do specifically.”

Mr. Haghani suffered a nine-figure loss in personal wealth when Long Term Capital Management crashed and burned in 1998. In hindsight, he realized, he had way too much skin in the game.

“I was 35 years old at the time, the youngest of the LTCM partners,” he wrote, adding that the fund was returning over 40% per year. “So, it was understandable that I wanted to invest most of my wealth in the fund.

“I wish someone else had written this book — or pointed me to the research on which this book is based — and put it in my hands with an admonition to read it and take it to heart.”

He's just doing it for you guys.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i realize the point is to cut rates for cheaper money for capitalists but wouldn't you want to hold rates where they currently are if inflation is returning to "normal" so theres rates to cut if theres a recession

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i realize the point is to cut rates for cheaper money for capitalists but wouldn't you want to hold rates where they currently are if inflation is returning to "normal" so theres rates to cut if theres a recession

I think the idea is that you cut but you don't cut down to zero. You will therefore still have some room to make impactful cuts if the circumstances need it.

The Fed wants you to land on a field full of the most luxurious pillows.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jan 8, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you don’t usurp jpowells job by supporting his governance

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1744420362077507696?t=Gf8H_srSt8QkZB_1QyHFtg&s=19
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1744420366913581214?t=Hr-n07-wqH2kjOjxeUhSQA&s=19

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

This is true. The BMI thing was iirc invented in the 1900s and has a little bit of race science behind it

People weren't, say, doing professional workout regimens back then

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I was wondering why Victor Haghani's name was familiar. He was part of Long Term Capital Management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-Term_Capital_Management

This was a big meltdown that predates most of your births, so I just thought this was worth pointing out.

He's just doing it for you guys.

I’m pretty sure most of the people here are older than 25 years.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

netizen posted:

they do and on delta they give out cards about the plane you’re flying. my kid loves getting wings.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

I’m pretty sure most of the people here are older than 25 years.

Okay. I wasn't sure. Sometimes you guys talk about weird videogame stuff or more recent movies and shows I've never heard of and it makes me feel like I should be in a nursing home.

sonatinas posted:

they do and on delta they give out cards about the plane you’re flying. my kid loves getting wings.

Do they stop giving them to kids beyond a certain age? My kid was only offered wings once and that was before he turned 2.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Business Gorillas posted:

This is true. The BMI thing was iirc invented in the 1900s and has a little bit of race science behind it

same with IQ, invented by stanford eugenicists

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Business Gorillas posted:

People weren't, say, doing professional workout regimens back then

I never thought I'd see somebody make the argument that exercise and physical training were modern inventions but here we are

BMI is a dated measurement but cmon guys people have been lifting weights for thousands of years

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Re: old-timey exercise regimens

I wonder if club exercises are ever gonna come back in the US- big in the early 1900s after someone yoinked it from India

Can almost see it fitting in with the big rope whippin' and tractor tire flipping stuff some people like to do nowadays

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Re: old-timey exercise regimens

I wonder if club exercises are ever gonna come back in the US- big in the early 1900s after someone yoinked it from India

Can almost see it fitting in with the big rope whippin' and tractor tire flipping stuff some people like to do nowadays

Are those club routines that different from kettlebell workouts?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I never thought I'd see somebody make the argument that exercise and physical training were modern inventions but here we are

BMI is a dated measurement but cmon guys people have been lifting weights for thousands of years

Dude have you looked at what professional boxers looked like 100 years ago, getting idealized diet and nutrition for your weightlifting regimen is absolutely a modern concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

People have lifted weights for thousands of years, yeah, but the modern gym was invented in the early 19th century