Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Low prices, everybody and everyloser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
low prices for mee, high prices for btc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
word on the street is the google layoffs is more than just a hundred at the voice department. it's more like four figures and across a lot of departments, including search

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol they're not just locking up overpriced pair of thieves socks, also generic hanes rear end underwear and wifebeaters

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

thechosenone posted:

Counterpoint: Bitcoin is a black hole that can suck up even a supernova of quantitative easing. If it gets hooked up to the money hose it defeats it, breaking everything. Mark my words it is bailout proof. Putting more money in is either just as bad as everything else or worse if the people bailed out run off with that money too.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I hope Bitcoin destroys the great satan

triple sulk posted:

not sure whether bitcoin or all of ai is worse for the environment *right now*

i'm guessing ai is probably worse if you add everything up

:cheersdoge:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
why can't we just go back to the internet of 2007

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Right. The big companies that do this were producing almost unimaginable amounts of "content" even in the pre-generative AI days. LLMs have upended the entire thing at this point, but there were content mills out there producing literally thousands of human-written 500-1000 word blog posts every day. In a lot of cases, the intention was never even to have a human read these articles, although everyone plays the game of pretending that they're actually creating useful content.

The ideal style tends to be as simple as possible with a lot of keyword rich phrases, but avoiding keyword stuffing, which is when you just repeat a single keyword or its synonyms over and over again. Find a local plumber or HVAC company with a website and look at any article on their blog and you'll find a good example of SEO drivel. There's a high likelihood that article (if it's not just AI- generated) was written by someone with zero domain knowledge or experience who had to put the whole thing together in 20 minutes or less for it to be monetarily worthwhile.

This stuff is everywhere and it's clearly deeply embedded in all these models. It's been relatively well known in that space for years that companies like OpenAI were just directly paying content mills for this stuff, too. Pretty much paying gig economy writers to put themselves out of a job, but through at least one layer of indirection.

Every national <food item> day was made up so these useless loving assholes had something to write about and cram full of hashtags in an attempt to drive traffic to their website.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

lol they're not just locking up overpriced pair of thieves socks, also generic hanes rear end underwear and wifebeaters

where the hell are these targets, lol.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Canned Sunshine posted:

All the ones in the seattle area are like this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so what I'm hearing is that there's a prime market for glass cabinets

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

stop right there criminal scum

let me see your id

welcome to total wine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Canned Sunshine posted:

california

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also word on the street: if you're with GEICO, gtfo if you ever want to actually have your insurance pay-out. todd combs is ruining the place into the ground with widespread gutting of teams across the board and working the remaining few reps or inspection guys to the bone with increased tracking/spying every waking second of their work. everyone is bailing under todd. it's gone from a pretty good place to work to a dumpster fire in the span of a year.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Xaris posted:

since economics = consumption, just fyi aliexpress is having their winter sale in about 8 hours. it's basically if Prime Day didn't suck entire rear end. going to pickup a TS101 soldering iron, some insanely powerful flashlights, some powerbanks, and another 100-pack of melamine sponges. also if anyone needs a 4TB NVME, they've got em for $25. if you want your cheap junk, might as well get 'em directly from the source for 1/2 the price of amazon.

yo i just tried this, the prices shown on AliExpress to new members are a scam. they purposefully show a modified version of every item price. each price shown to you has had an invisible "Welcome Deal" applied since you're new (or not logged in), and there's nowhere on the page where the real price is spelled out. but in reality the "Welcome Deal" is one-item-only, and so when you add dozens of supposedly cheap items to your cart, at checkout you find that all but one of them became way more expensive. it's a classic bait and switch, a gently caress-you to first time shoppers to get them to commit to picking out a full cart based on fake prices

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Xaris posted:

also word on the street: if you're with GEICO, gtfo if you ever want to actually have your insurance pay-out. todd combs is ruining the place into the ground with widespread gutting of teams across the board and working the remaining few reps or inspection guys to the bone with increased tracking/spying every waking second of their work. everyone is bailing under todd. it's gone from a pretty good place to work to a dumpster fire in the span of a year.

Thank you for the reminder. I checked competitor prices after they jacked up my rates and I could be saving several hundred a year. I only put off the switch because policy renewal comes up in February, but now's a great time for that.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Low prices, everybody and everyloser

Xaris posted:

low prices for mee, high prices for btc

All glory to Number.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao that some of you have genuine concerns about the environment.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Akratic Method posted:

Thank you for the reminder. I checked competitor prices after they jacked up my rates and I could be saving several hundred a year. I only put off the switch because policy renewal comes up in February, but now's a great time for that.

the person that rear ended me had nationwide, and they were good and nice taking care of it that I will switch to them when my current one expires

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

err posted:

Speaking of that, one of the Twitch streamers made $57 million from OnlyFans alone. Not including Twitch money, sponsorships, donations, etc.

https://twitter.com/Amouranth/status/1744763888808108540?s=20

BWM: not retiring with that cash and doing whatever you want for the rest of your life

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xaris posted:

word on the street is the google layoffs is more than just a hundred at the voice department. it's more like four figures and across a lot of departments, including search

that'll fix their severe quality problem lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

target near me in Hollywood has this lockup. I actually got a six pack of undies there the other day kuz the dude was there restocking when I walked by. too shameful to press the summon helper button on some undies lol.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ReutersChina/status/1745390436242559200?s=20

quote:

BEIJING, Jan 11 (Reuters) - China's 2023 vehicle sales rose 12% year-on-year to 30.1 million vehicles, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM) said on Thursday.

Vehicle sales in December including exports jumped 23.5% on the year, CAAM said.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
number will grow larger

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

more google layoffs

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Celexi posted:

the person that rear ended me had nationwide, and they were good and nice taking care of it that I will switch to them when my current one expires

They jacked my car insurance up by 30% because of "wildfires in California" with zero notice in December. Good luck!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Anyone have that good WARN act tracker?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Business Gorillas posted:

They jacked my car insurance up by 30% because of "wildfires in California" with zero notice in December. Good luck!

rates in my state have been steadily increasing to the point where I’m paying now more than I paid more than a decade ago with a truly poo poo driving record. I drive the most basic shitbox possible, I’m not sure how people actually manage it with nicer cars closer to the city where rates have to be astronomical.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Many of these concepts have been on my mind a lot lately

The techno optimism of the Obama era, the overt corporate partisanship with the Democratic Party (DNC brought to you by comcast), the myth of the coming smart city where all is integrated into the “internet of things”, and the ascension of the urban gadget-yuppie (able to use google maps, Uber, DoorDash, etc to be maximally insulated from anyone who is not also affluent), all these things were harbingers of the decline and stagnation of our society over the last decade.

Now we know that ai is exactly as the r word as regular I, and here we all are

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/kelly_carlin/status/1745261544001466689?s=20

:lol:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SEC Commissioner Crenshaw:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah I got a feeling about this one. This is may be the straw. Here's hoping, because I don't see how even the true believers can defend this system now that it's willingly allowing nerds to undermine itself with obvious, out in the open scams.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Can you get five letter tickers? Because I'm gonna found a coin called ScamCoin, the ticker will be $SCAMU, and I'll die a billionaire.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Sub-Saharan nations raised $0 in bonds in 2023

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1743764379060060314

Bloomberg posted:

In the 10 years before 2023, sub-Saharan African nations issued, on average, nearly $10 billion a year in international bonds, injecting much-needed funds into their economies. Kenya, Rwanda, Mozambique and Angola issued their first-ever bonds in hard currency. The foreign debt market was particularly important after the global financial crisis of 2008–2009 and in 2020–2021 during the worst days of the pandemic. Each time growth weakened, the debt machine resolved the problem, providing countries with a short-term sugar rush.

The current funding squeeze aggravates a protracted trend that’s been years in the making: The level of public debt in sub-Saharan Africa has more than tripled since 2010. As a result, the interest burden is rising, in some cases rising to a fifth of the country’s revenue. That’s partly due to a greater reliance on expensive market-based funding, like loans from commodity trading houses and international bonds, coupled with a long-term decline in aid budgets from the West and China. On top of that, local currencies have depreciated against the US dollar sharply since mid-2022, further increasing the cost of servicing hard-currency bonds.

Unless US interest rates fall soon — something Fed officials recently said wouldn’t happen — the squeeze will get worse. Two countries, Zambia and Ghana, have already defaulted on their foreign debt. Many others facing a maturity wall in 2024, 2025 and 2026 will be forced to either refinance their bonds issuing new paper at yields well above 10%, or cut government spending to find the money to repay foreign investors.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

at least there's this

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1745400115547062758

but I'm not thrilled about the environmental and public health externalities of automobile proliferation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

love the image of having to flag down an employee and going "yeah let me get the boxers with the fly" and they pull out the giant key ring like I'm buying videogames in the 90s

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

China has carbrain

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

I'm not thrilled about the environmental and public health externalities of automobile proliferation

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

love the image of having to flag down an employee and going "yeah let me get the boxers with the fly" and they pull out the giant key ring like I'm buying videogames in the 90s

going past the registers to the counter with a paid slip where a guy hands you the boxers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
25% of China's new cars are electric and they are pumping investment in HSR and public transit next to it.

China has "carbrain" in comparison to where it was 20 years ago, but it still isn't close to US/Canada/Australia etc.

(Also 2022 was a relative down year for Chinese car sales due to lockdowns etc.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Jan 11, 2024