Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Because if I'm gonna blow up someone's house or workplace I'm going to give them ample warning

This used to be a thing. Groups like Weather Underground wanted to make a statement, but not murder people - a bomb warning helped make sure people evacuate. Right wing terrorists are generally just murderous fundamentalists, but regardless of the source of the threat no one wants to ignore a threat that turns out to be real. There was an IRA bombing in 1998 with ample warning that killed dozens of people because they were ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

RVWinkle posted:

Self-checkout is my weekly abuse session. I think it's because of my height or something but the machines constantly accuse me of stealing and I have to repeatedly call over the cashier to fix it. It happens every god drat time and I think it's degrading to listen to a machine repeatedly insisting that I'm stealing boxes of hamburger helper and frozen pizzas.

Furthermore, the checkout area only accommodates 4 bags so if you have more than that you can just gently caress off and if you spend too much time playing grocery Tetris then the machine will again loudly accuse you of stealing. There used to be a mute button for the machines too but they disabled that feature because my humiliation must be made public.

gently caress those self checkout machines.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This used to be a thing. Groups like Weather Underground wanted to make a statement, but not murder people - a bomb warning helped make sure people evacuate. Right wing terrorists are generally just murderous fundamentalists, but regardless of the source of the threat no one wants to ignore a threat that turns out to be real. There was an IRA bombing in 1998 with ample warning that killed dozens of people because they were ignored.

An office I worked at once had a bomb warning, it turned out to be a hoax from a disgruntled ex-employee. However, it was in the middle of winter and absolutely pissing it down, and we all had to stand out in the carpark for an hour in the cold rain until we got the all-clear.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Margarine Trailer Grease wants to be high on his hog

Her face was mean and her hands were rough
Her name was Marge and her talk was tough
Congress tried to tell her that the budget may not pass at all
But all she ever talked about was Hunter Biden and his hog.

Hunter Biden's hog, it's just hangin' out there,
Marge won't forget it and the rest of us don't care
She shows us pics and posts them all on vengeful right wing blogs,
Cause all she ever talks about is Hunter Biden's hog.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Shut the hell up about self checkouts you a fair the Welles

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

How much could a banana cost, 8 million dollars?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My wife continually asks me “Wait, what do they want to impeach Biden for? And what does Hunter and his giant dong have to do with any of this?” and despite following this thread, I keep telling her I don’t know because their arguments keep shifting and making no sense. Something about a $2500 car loan repayment they claim is money from China? And “the border”?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RVWinkle posted:

Furthermore, the checkout area only accommodates 4 bags so if you have more than that you can just gently caress off and if you spend too much time playing grocery Tetris then the machine will again loudly accuse you of stealing. There used to be a mute button for the machines too but they disabled that feature because my humiliation must be made public.

gently caress those self checkout machines.

I think those bagging areas are weight-sensitive and only go off if you pull a bag too soon after loading it or don't move your scanned item to the bag immediately after scanning it.

My trick is to load the first bag, then the second, third, then fourth. Take the first bag and put it in your cart, load the now-empty first bag, rinse and repeat for the other bags.

I think my grocery store gave up on the weight alarm cuz it doesn't go off any more though

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the debate between Dark B and trump should be sending them through a grocerie store to buy and few things and they have to use the self checkout

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Grey Cat posted:

How much could a banana cost, 8 million dollars?

61 Stormy Daniels OR
266 Dino Sajudins OR
53 Karen McDougals OR
2,000,000 Fish Delights

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Shut the hell up about self checkouts you a fair the Welles

This thread has been compromised by Big Grocery. Don't listen to their lies!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

My wife continually asks me “Wait, what do they want to impeach Biden for? And what does Hunter and his giant dong have to do with any of this?” and despite following this thread, I keep telling her I don’t know because their arguments keep shifting and making no sense. Something about a $2500 car loan repayment they claim is money from China? And “the border”?

He's a Democrat and the Democrats tried to impeach Trump. That's the reason.

And to smear his name in a campaign season.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

redshirt posted:

He's a Democrat and the Democrats tried to impeach Trump. That's the reason.

And to smear his name in a campaign season.

I mean, yeah, I just tell her “they just want to impeach him 3 times so he has more than Trump” and she says “Yeah, but what is their actual stated reason for impeaching?” and that’s when my brain misfires.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

ElectricSheep posted:

I think those bagging areas are weight-sensitive and only go off if you pull a bag too soon after loading it or don't move your scanned item to the bag immediately after scanning it.

My trick is to load the first bag, then the second, third, then fourth. Take the first bag and put it in your cart, load the now-empty first bag, rinse and repeat for the other bags.

I think my grocery store gave up on the weight alarm cuz it doesn't go off any more though

if only there were a way to purchase your items that didn't require learning tricks and performing unpaid labor

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This man can barely stand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

thunderspanks posted:

if only there were a way to purchase your items that didn't require learning tricks and performing unpaid labor

There's two sides to this - Automation is coming and there really is no argument that being a cashier is a good job. Its an awful job. Its miserable. Its a job not worth saving. Its like saying we should save the horse and buggy industry because 'jobs' despite them being outdated and antiquated.

The loss of these jobs is a key argument why we need Universal Basic Income. We should not save jobs because they are jobs, especially jobs that are just unending misery and repetition. We should be fighting for better means to provide resources to people. Yes, doing your own checkout is unpaid labor. But to be blunt - a lot of people prefer self-checkouts.

This issues that needs to be solved is better social systems to help people survive without saving lovely, awful jobs, and make these companies pay into such systems that they themselves benefit from.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 11, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As well try to convince America that you deserve to live if you can't "pay your way".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

As well try to convince America that you deserve to live if you can't "pay your way".

Yes, exactly. Part of this is pretending 'earning a living' in the age of rampant automation and consolidation of jobs makes no sense anymore - fewer people are doing more, often with less. The issue is that instead we're focused on saving absolutely lovely and awful jobs versus actually focusing on combating the idea that maybe we should just enable people to live just for existing rather than 'earning' it.

Social programs like UBI and stimulus packages directly benefit companies because people spend that money, unlike when we bail out companies and they just sit on the cash or payout executive bonuses and do stock buybacks that benefit only themselves.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 11, 2024

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So who won last night's The debat.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Whoever won, we lost.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

there are no winners at a debat

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

CommieGIR posted:

There's two sides to this - Automation is coming and there really is no argument that being a cashier is a good job. Its an awful job. Its miserable. Its a job not worth saving. Its like saying we should save the horse and buggy industry because 'jobs' despite them being outdated and antiquated.

The loss of these jobs is a key argument why we need Universal Basic Income. We should not save jobs because they are jobs, especially jobs that are just unending misery and repetition. We should be fighting for better means to provide resources to people.

This issues that needs to be solves is better social systems to help people survive without saving lovely, awful jobs.

Oh I don't disagree, I was a grocery store cashier for years in my youth (and I maintain to this day that menial jobs should be mandatory for everyone at some point in their adolescence). As a consumer though I dislike self checkouts, particularly when they're used beyond the scope of being a glorified 10-items-or-less lane. Going through a cashier lane is almost always faster in my experience, not to mention if you're ever unfortunate enough to get stuck behind someone with a dozen produce items who doesn't know the code for any of them.

More importantly though I couldn't pass up the obvious joke.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's closing argument day! But that mean old LIBERAL judge won't let Trump speak!

Also, the judge got a bomb threat to his house last night. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kazil posted:

there are no winners at a debat

Sometimes if their particularly bad they can be pretty amusing for the audience, so I guess in that case the audience wins?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, exactly. Part of this is pretending 'earning a living' in the age of rampant automation and consolidation of jobs makes no sense anymore - fewer people are doing more, often with less. The issue is that instead we're focused on saving absolutely lovely and awful jobs versus actually focusing on combating the idea that maybe we should just enable people to live just for existing rather than 'earning' it.

Social programs like UBI and stimulus packages directly benefit companies because people spend that money, unlike when we bail out companies and they just sit on the cash or payout executive bonuses and do stock buybacks that benefit only themselves.

America being "land of the free" was supposed to make us all rich and eliminate drudgery, bringing us leisure. Instead we became a nation of insane workaholics who shame anyone who can't take part in the system and sneer at Europeans who work less than we do

The techno revolution was supposed to make us all rich and eliminate drudgery, bringing us leisure. Instead we became a nation of screen-tappers and computer maintenance workers, literally the "your duty is clear: to build and maintain those robots" from the Simpsons

Can't wait to see what's next

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

UBI will never exist in the United States. If it does it will be 1) below a livable amount 2) used as an excuse to eliminate other systems like food stamps and 3) opt-out so states like Florida can refuse

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Renreeja posted:

the debate between Dark B and trump should be sending them through a grocerie store to buy and few things and they have to use the self checkout

And then make them mod the wow lore thread for a week, each. The loser has to stay there. Forever.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Morning Catch up.

Toxic Mental posted:

Nah they were banned like 100 years ago because they could kill pine trees but they’re not banned anymore

Fun fact -- They are still restricted for planting in Michigan. Like, you have to get special permission to get plants. I learned this when researching how to get blackcurrants here because my British husband introduced me to blackcurrant tea and spread, and America hates those things apparently.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a constant disappointment in America when you get a purple drink or jam expecting delicious blackcurrant but then have to endure some horrible fake grape flavour

Another Fun Fact -- That fake grape flavor was apparently an actual grape flavor back in the early American grape days, but the species of grape has been bred out of existence.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
just a bomb threat, no its okay lets have this maniac walking around free

nbd really

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Trump people calling in bomb threats? Say it ain't so!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

And then make them mod the wow lore thread for a week, each. The loser has to stay there. Forever.

trump would just start banning everyone who didn't suck up to him enough so the thread would be empty within a week. Honestly probably the best approach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

UBI will never exist in the United States. If it does it will be 1) below a livable amount 2) used as an excuse to eliminate other systems like food stamps and 3) opt-out so states like Florida can refuse

Maybe, maybe not. But it's what we need.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Calling in bomb threats to school judges house so I don't have to take finals get banned from doing business in New York

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Morning Catch up.

Fun fact -- They are still restricted for planting in Michigan. Like, you have to get special permission to get plants. I learned this when researching how to get blackcurrants here because my British husband introduced me to blackcurrant tea and spread, and America hates those things apparently.

Another Fun Fact -- That fake grape flavor was apparently an actual grape flavor back in the early American grape days, but the species of grape has been bred out of existence.

For some reason, I love that fake grape taste but not a big fan of the sugar that's usually associated with it. Some sparkling water company (Waterloo?) makes a grape sparkling water that tastes exactly like it but with no sugar and I'm addicted to it.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Morning Catch up.

I'm reasonably sure it's just concord grapes which are not really popular, but still very much non-extinct.