Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Just 6 months ago, it was an immediate probe on this forums if we even tried to mention HIV/AIDS in the same sentence as Covid. Now we have them talking about it on mass media, and more and more people are talking about it.

On a different topic, did you guys know that wetting your bed is also a covid symptoms? I didn't know until my dad wetted his bed for the second night :( my brother still get the nightly sweats and wake up in pools of his sweat too. Kinda concerning because that fits with what I've been hearing about other folks on paxlovid too. They both (along with everyone else) do get the other symptoms completely disappearing like the runny nose, the sore throat and the congestion in the lungs, but they still feel sick somewhat. I'm hoping that's just the body immune response and not an indication of something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Looking forward to the SAD thread on Dr. Birx

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rochallor posted:

So why don't astronauts returning from the ISS have immunity debt? Or crews aboard container ships? Or backpackers? Or desert hermits? Or

Kids in the US spend more time away from school every year than we closed everything in 2020

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Just 6 months ago, it was an immediate probe on this forums if we even tried to mention HIV/AIDS in the same sentence as Covid. Now we have them talking about it on mass media, and more and more people are talking about it.

we love our big beautiful mod brains don't we folks :yooge:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Soap Scum posted:

they're covid

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It has come up how many people are dying of COVID in the US currently and as I see the same number (1500) come up, I just wanted to show where that is from:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1500-americans-dying-covid-week/story?id=106237143 posted:

Why are 1,500 Americans still dying from COVID every week?
Experts say some Americans aren't accessing available vaccines and treatments.

More than three years into the pandemic, hundreds of Americans are still dying from COVID-19 every week.

For the week ending Dec. 9, the last week of complete data, there were 1,614 deaths from COVID, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The last four weeks of complete data show an average of 1,488 weekly deaths.
(..)

So as long as nothing happened since then that would exacerbate deaths and we dismiss the last complete week as an aberration and not a trend, the number is ~1500/week.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well the neighbors all have COVID again. Makes me glad I wear an N95 whenever I'm outside, well for snowblowing or really just grabbing the drat mail these days.

Also as a nice side effect, I don't cough my guts out for two hours because of the cold dry air when I come back inside! Honestly getting some ski goggles and wearing an Aura while outside shoveling/snowblowing as been such an amazing transformation. It's almost fun now.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Jort Fortress posted:

He also recommended that I take magnesium and Vitamin D, not sure what that was about.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1500-americans-dying-covid-week/story?id=106237143 posted:

Why are 1,500 Americans still dying from COVID every week?
Experts say some Americans aren't accessing available vaccines and treatments.

More than three years into the pandemic, hundreds of Americans are still dying from COVID-19 every week.

For the week ending Dec. 9, the last week of complete data, there were 1,614 deaths from COVID, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The last four weeks of complete data show an average of 1,488 weekly deaths.
(..)

what has changed in the last 4 years? well you see, our dashboards used to have 9/11s per day, but now with vaccines, boosters and natural immunity, we've updated them to hitler numbers per week.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Pingui posted:

Bald and dying.

Research letter link:
"Risk of Alopecia Areata After COVID-19"

Considering this is really just confirming the link, the evidence isn't all that limited.

Edit: Looking it up, alopecia areata affects ~2% of the global population (pre-pandemic). Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0923181123002232

Between COVID and GLP-1 agonists, the future is bald.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
mad everyone i know is wrecking their immune system for applebees and the mcu

sad everyone would be forced to wreck them at work anyway

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rescue Toaster posted:

(..)
Honestly getting some ski goggles and wearing an Aura while outside shoveling/snowblowing as been such an amazing transformation. It's almost fun now.

Nice try Tom Sawyer.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I would probably say, if you eat a regular crappy american diet and if you're a computer toucher, you're pretty likely to have a Vitamin D deficiency.

It was one of the things they started monitoring when I went on immunosupressants and got me on supplements fairly quickly. I mean, if you were to take a regular daily multivitamin you'd probably be covered. I think vitamin D is one that can get too high though, so you shouldn't just start taking a bunch of it. If you're wondering then ask your doctor to add it to your labs for your next yearly physical or whatever.

Pingui posted:

Nice try Tom Sawyer.

I said ALMOST. My irregular heartbeat adds an exciting dynamic to physical labor like that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

what has changed in the last 4 years? well you see, our dashboards used to have 9/11s per day, but now with vaccines, boosters and natural immunity, we've updated them to hitler numbers per week.

Sometimes the simulation AI gets a bit ham-fisted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Another victim of the covid thread echo chamber

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

fluffposting here but there's a heartening and kinda unusually high number of positive interactions w/ this "covid has always been bad" video from a person who does mostly-not-related-to-covid stuff on tiktok. noticed a very supportive comment from taylor lorenz in the comments too o.O didn't know she was on board but that's cool.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7322256410153274670

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
she's not wearing a scarf. how do we even know that's the real Dr Birx?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Birx making that comparison is heavy

wikipedia posted:

Starting in 2014, she oversaw the implementation of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program to support HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention programs in 65 countries

NeonPunk posted:

what was the name of that SAD goon with severe mental illness who was crying about this thread? The one who doxxxed themself? I want to enjoy some post history.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Soap Scum posted:

:yooge: Folks, should I say it? I'm going to say it: Airborne AIDS

Nothus has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Jan 11, 2024

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

yep. I moved from NC to MI and after bloodwork done I was super low on vitamin d. whole family takes supplements for it now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fansy posted:

Birx making that comparison is heavy

what was the name of that SAD goon with severe mental illness who was crying about this thread? The one who doxxxed themself? I want to enjoy some post history.

Remembering who people are on the forums, searching for posts, and enjoying drama are 3 steps down the dark path of a goon sagas poster.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

nobody could have known

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Soap Scum posted:

Griz
May 21, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think vitamin D is one that can get too high though, so you shouldn't just start taking a bunch of it. If you're wondering then ask your doctor to add it to your labs for your next yearly physical or whatever.

you have to take like 100x RDA for months to get side effects from vitamin D, vitamin A is the one that fucks you up (don't eat too much liver)

I didn't know I was deficient until the doctor ordered the full blood test and then my garbage insurance made me pay $400 because they only covered the basic one

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hi dr. b

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

lol yeah

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
last guy besides me on my team who wasn't sick as a dog just went down, five days after flying back home. good stuff

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

oh poo poo

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Healthy young poster goes to Publix, gets pumped with massive shot of moth juice, doesn't feel good and changes - I LOVE LAMP. Many such cases!

Dead on except for the young part.

How old are you? I mean really, you are old, now aren't you?
For an apricot, yes. For a head of lettuce, even more so. For a mountain, I have not even begun in years. For a man, I am just right.

So far so good. Hoping it's not like when I switched from Pfizer to Moderna; that round the day after I felt awesome, then I had a day of feeling like death, then a great day, then an awful day. It was like I had malaria for a week.

These sweaters sure are tasty, though.

I mentioned that it was my extended family getting COVID that reminded me to get boosted again-- my elderly uncle, who just got off a vent a few weeks ago after a surgery mishap, went symptomatic and they took him to the ER at the big hospital downtown last Wednesday. On Saturday morning he was still waiting for a room.

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Jan 11, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

kazmeyer posted:

I mentioned that it was my extended family getting COVID that reminded me to get boosted again-- my elderly uncle, who just got off a vent a few weeks ago after a surgery mishap, went symptomatic and they took him to the ER at the big hospital downtown last Wednesday. On Saturday morning he was still waiting for a room.

What, is he just sitting somewhere in the hallway or still in the waiting room? Jesus that's terrible

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

I can't find a transcript but this has some bits typed out

https://www.newsnationnow.com/cuomo-show/deborah-birx-covid-response-failures-changes/

Dr. B posted:

It’s really important that we understand what went wrong in that first entire year, and I think the No. 1 thing was they weren’t willing to really understand that COVID was a very different virus than flu. We were late to testing, we were late to really talking about asymptomatic spread, and we were very late in recognizing the aerosol nature of this virus.
There’s two sides of this coin every time. There’s a lot of destruction that mild and moderate COVID can do that is on-scene just like HIV was destroying our immune system, but what came out of that is brilliant science that changed how we treated HIV. If you’re diagnosed today, you can live a very normal lifespan and people not only survive, but thrive. We need to get to the place where people with long COVID … cannot only survive, but thrive.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeonPunk posted:

What, is he just sitting somewhere in the hallway or still in the waiting room? Jesus that's terrible

One of the fun experiences I had recently during a very long ER trip was the hospital having plenty of rooms but not enough nurses so I was being treated by running back and forth for tests and injections and poo poo just from the waiting area. Like 5 hours in I finally was put in a room but this was after I had: gone for CT, a few EKGs, Ultrasound, and after CT they left me in a wheel chair in a hall for like 20 minutes. it was very dark and creepy lmao.

So anyway i am wondering if the experience was similar to mine where you just keep getting shuffled around and left here and there.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

ER bed or hallway probably

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I wanted to bring up something I've seen bouncing around socials for considering since I don't recall it coming up in the thread before and there's people here much better at evaluating this stuff:

COVID antihistamine protocol. Links to a bunch of papers underlying the hypothesis that part of COVID's sting is the spike making your mast cells go wonky, and thus antihistamines might help in the areas of prophylactic, acute treatment, Long COVID treatment, and vaccine reaction remedy.

quote:

The important part of the antihistamine protocol: for best effect, you need both a histamine-1 receptor antagonist and a histamine-2 receptor antagonist. There are versions of both available over the counter in most every country: the specifics will depend on your country. Equally important note: not all over the counter heartburn medicines are h2 antihistamines. There are other classes of OTC heartburn medicines that do not appear to have the protective effect. Make sure what you're taking is actually a h2 antihistamine.

Histamine-1 receptor antagonists: diphenhydramine, promethazine, loratidine, cetirizine, fexofenadine, levocetirizine
Histamine-2 receptor antagonists: famotidine, cimetidine, nizatidine

Most of the papers on the risk reduction that the antihistamine protocol gives you are retrospective or cohort studies, and the ones that aren't are generally fairly small, so everyone is still guessing what the ideal dosage should be and extrapolating from the MCAS treatment protocol. The best guess from what evidence we do have says you will most likely get the best results from at least:

* 10mg of cetirizine twice daily
* 20mg of famotidine twice daily

In any case, the theory behind it is something that apparently people can try for their next COVID booster shot if they tend to hit you hard like kazmeyer is experiencing:

quote:

Anecdotally, I began recommending with this booster wave that people premedicate before the vaccine with 50mg diphenhydramine 15 minutes before the shot or a double dose of Claritin/Allegra/Zyrtec 2-3 hours before the shot, and so many people have told me that they have been absolutely flattened by previous COVID vaccines but doing this has made it a much milder reaction. Antihistamines do not interfere with immune response, and in fact can significantly improve it because the side effects of mast cell degranulation can interfere with immune response and preventing it via antihistamine makes your immune system more efficient at taking the instructions it's getting.

The author also links to this Long COVID doctor consortium's page of Long Covid treatment kit, which contains a lot of the things I've seen the thread recommend and some others I haven't heard from the thread so much.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

He was in an ER bed for several days before they could admit him properly to a room upstairs. My cousin's a nurse and was with him so she was doing her best to get him seen to, but it sounds like they've just been swamped. I don't have a lot of the details because this coincided with both another aunt passing away (she'd been in hospice for a while, not COVID-related as far as I know) and a couple of finals so it's been utter chaos for the past week or so.

I'm really wondering if they're going to be back to eating out and get-togethers in a month or if this is going to change the tone a bit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kazmeyer posted:

He was in an ER bed for several days before they could admit him properly to a room upstairs. My cousin's a nurse and was with him so she was doing her best to get him seen to, but it sounds like they've just been swamped. I don't have a lot of the details because this coincided with both another aunt passing away (she'd been in hospice for a while, not COVID-related as far as I know) and a couple of finals so it's been utter chaos for the past week or so.

I'm really wondering if they're going to be back to eating out and get-togethers in a month or if this is going to change the tone a bit.
my family had two people on death's door from Covid, with one in the hospital, two weeks ago. both in their 70s, one who JUST recovered from cancer, both smoked their whole lives.

the two people living with them were dining out last weekend.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dining out or barhopping is what successful, happy people do. If you aren't eating out three times a week, you're a poor or a loser.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i mean i miss like hell getting a drink with coworkers after work, especially given the role that plays in labor organizing.

but it's not happening again anytime soon, and it's just me and my wife living together. it's baffling when it's someone with a kid and two sick parents.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My wife and I were talking and it was the Omicron wave and the massive increase in transmissibility that convinced us that this was going to go on with no end in sight. Prior to that we'd gone to some outdoor sporting events and even stayed at a B&B in upstate NY while visiting family. But Omicron blasting in with measles-like contagiousness and the media shrieking "THIS IS MILD AND NORMAL" while 150,000 people died in four months pretty much put the lid on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i mean i miss like hell getting a drink with coworkers after work, especially given the role that plays in labor organizing.

but it's not happening again anytime soon, and it's just me and my wife living together. it's baffling when it's someone with a kid and two sick parents.

I miss cheap and janky Chinese buffets the most. And yeah, I live alone and I still haven't eaten in a restaurant since February of 2020.