Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Komet posted:

How much money to Phil Knight pony up to make Lanning the highest paid coach in college football?

When it comes to facilities and coach pay, that is Oregon's one big benefit over many others: unlimited Nike money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zurreco posted:

That little cigar shot at the end just confirms Dan Lanning as a boring chud.

I'm sure this was a joke, but you mean the guy who went out on national TV and used his media time to talk about how the country needs to do gun control? (regardless of someone's views on it, that's like, the opposite of chudness, lol, at least to me)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why use fake names instead of the real people names?

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

yep, this Paint image is the best summary of the entire game to me

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It would be super if the playoff snub and garbage ACC didnt just cost a shot at the championship but our coach too lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I think he’ll stay. Nobody should be surprised by Evers staying. Wasn’t it heavily hinted at before the playoffs?

Basically already known for awhile that Ewers was staying, even to the point that the Mannings had said they were cool with Arch as backup another year because Eli had done two years of backup work at Ole Miss and thought it had helped him a lot.

Now whether they actually meant it or not, ehhhhhhh. I mean, just like coaches you have to say you are staying and totally devoted to your current school until the very moment you leave.

Also, Sark said they were still going to have a QB competition in the fall for the starting spot. Ewers is really streaky, so I feel like a lot of people saw a down game against UW and think he sucks, but he's still probably a much better passer than Arch right now. He's typically a very good decision-maker, not a lot of turnovers. Arch is a very good runner though -- real quick and hits the running lanes the second they open.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why use fake names instead of the real people names?

Per the quote, they'd list fake names in the production section, with the production folks eligible for Emmys. The on-air talent were not eligible, only the production folks were. So, that gave ESPN extra physical Emmy statues that they'd then modify and reengrave to give to the on-air talent.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

oh my god

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

pillsburysoldier posted:

It would be super if the playoff snub and garbage ACC didnt just cost a shot at the championship but our coach too lmao

To the same team no less. The assassination of Florida State by the coward Alabama

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Spacebump posted:

I think he’ll stay. Nobody should be surprised by Ewers staying. Wasn’t it heavily hinted at before the playoffs?

Yeah Ewers was pretty much confirmed to be sticking around before the playoffs, and reports indicated that Arch Manning was fine with it and possibly expected it from the start.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

OF COURSE this comes out after the season where we won't see any fun Gameday signs about it :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That guy on the right is just begging to be photoshopped as the MSPaint goon hovering over the restroom stall.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Nick Saban's true legacy is that he couldn't beat Texas without injuring our QB.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

How much money to Phil Knight pony up to make Lanning the highest paid coach in college football?

I read somewhere that he has a fuckload of shares in Nike that only vest if he completes his contract.

That combined with a rich contract would be more than enough to keep him there.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My personal thoughts on Nick Saban is that I'm super grateful I got to experience that run from so many angles. As a grad student, employee, and then nine-years on the recruiting side. I really thought we had at least 1-2 more years with Saban, but I totally understand why he chose now. Hell yeah, what a bad rear end tenure.

That said, here's a summary of the more credible tidbits I've picked up since 4 pm CST yesterday...

- His own health was a concern, but it's more than a rumor about Mrs. Terry. Her health was a bigger factor.
- Yeah, the beach palace he bought in Jupiter, Fla. was part of the exit plan.
- Alabama AD Greg Byrne was on a plane well before the announcement in the day, thought they purposely didn't use N1UA (university plane) to conceal where he was going. Only info that was left behind was "going to see a head coach and DC, probably as a package deal."
- An interesting thing I noticed is that administrators within Tide athletics were not surprised. Just hopeful he'd give it one more season, but not surprised. The media who covers UA daily though? Shocked. They had no idea this might happen.

I guess we'll see once it's done. Although I will admit, watching this process unfold was so wild and dramatic in 2006. Fake news reports, people claiming Steve Spurrier was taking over. Bama actually agreed to terms with Rich Rodriguez but Paul Finebaum talked poo poo about his wife on air and they reneged on the deal. Ah, the good ol' days.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 11, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You're really gonna need to tell us some juicy stories about being a recruiter at one of the premier colleges in the US

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doronin posted:

My personal thoughts on Nick Saban is that I'm super grateful I got to experience that run from so many angles. As a grad student, employee, and then nine-years on the recruiting side. I really thought we had at least 1-2 more years with Saban, but I totally understand why he chose now. Hell yeah, what a bad rear end tenure.

That said, here's a summary of the more credible tidbits I've picked up since 4 pm CST yesterday...

- His own health was a concern, but it's more than a rumor about Mrs. Terry. Her health was a bigger factor.
- Yeah, the beach palace he bought in Jupiter, Fla. was part of the exit plan.
- Alabama AD Greg Byrne was on a plane well before the announcement in the day, thought they purposely didn't use N1UA (university plane) to conceal where he was going. Only info that was left behind was "going to see a head coach and DC, probably as a package deal."
- An interesting thing I noticed is that administrators within Tide athletics were not surprised. Just hopeful he'd give it one more season, but not surprised. The media who covers UA daily though? Shocked. They had no idea this might happen.

I guess we'll see once it's done. Although I will admit, watching this process unfold was so wild and dramatic in 2006. Fake news reports, people claiming Steve Spurrier was taking over. Bama actually agreed to terms with Rich Rodriguez but Paul Finebaum talked poo poo about his wife on air and they reneged on the deal. Ah, the good ol' days.

Sounds like Saban disclosed his plans to the AD in private awhile ago so they could prep for a smooth transition, and they kept it under wraps until after the season was over.

drat, that must've been a hard piece of news to keep quiet about.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Sounds like Saban disclosed his plans to the AD in private awhile ago so they could prep for a smooth transition, and they kept it under wraps until after the season was over.

drat, that must've been a hard piece of news to keep quiet about.

Loose lips sink scholarships

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

Loose lips sink scholarships

Is this on the Paterno family crest?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why are all the OSU players coming back? Go pro already you fools

:sigh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"Unfinished business"

*loses to Michigan every year of college career*

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

they're gonna have a nearly automatic CFP berth next year with the expansion and they're foolish enough to think they'll win it all

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just got to see the natty trophy at my completely deserted local Meijers lmao

No I didn't touch it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

So do we think Arch hops in the portal or trusts that Quinn will get hurt as usual?

He doesn't need NIL money, can live in Austin and is basically guaranteed to get some play next year and then have the reigns for 2-3 after that. If he hits the portal he's a dumb dumb. As long as the path to starting is clear more guys need to stick around.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sirotan posted:

No I didn't touch it

It's no Stanley Cup.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Notorious ZSB posted:

He doesn't need NIL money, can live in Austin and is basically guaranteed to get some play next year and then have the reigns for 2-3 after that. If he hits the portal he's a dumb dumb. As long as the path to starting is clear more guys need to stick around.

I really doubt Arch Manning completes his college education

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yeah with Maalik Murphy transferring out, the path is clear for him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Obviously the "unfinished business" stuff or whatever but there are multiple factors in play.

- Egbuka's ankle injury and McCord being mid sunk his stock a decent amount

- Burke has legit first round CB potential but his sophomore year was so bad that evaluators are doing the "which player are we getting" thing

- Sawyer was painfully average until mid-October of this year when he turned into a loving monster.

- Hancock battled injuries and other issues until this season so there are questions on him. Prevailing thought seems to be that evaluators told him he projects as a safety in the NFL and he's coming back to have a year of safety tape since most people think Styles is being moved to LB.

- Donovan Jackson was the first guard on some boards going into the season and he'd probably be a third day pick now because the line was so putrid this year.

- Simon, Ransom, Hamilton are in that late round, not guaranteed a roster spot area where it makes sense for them to return.

- Tyleik Williams, I have no idea. I guess he just wants to come back. Although another year like this year probably takes him from mid-to-late second to a first rounder.

- No announcements from JT or TreVeyon yet but the obvious reasons they may return are that JT is maybe the most inconsistent player ever and Tre can't stay healthy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sirotan posted:

No I didn't touch it

Hah I saw that email and was like "ehhhh... nah"

For some weird reason I more look forward to the coaching/film breakdowns versus stuff like a freezing-cold outdoor parade and pep rally.

But I do hope that for Monday's Michigan-tOSU basketball game, a lot of players show up and there are very loud gently caress ohio chants.

edit: confirmed jerk-off

https://twitter.com/MattMencarini/status/1745521783032176972

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

For some weird reason I more look forward to the coaching/film breakdowns versus stuff like a freezing-cold outdoor parade and pep rally.

But I do hope that for Monday's Michigan-tOSU basketball game, a lot of players show up and there are very loud gently caress ohio chants.

The way those two teams have played they might be chanting "gently caress everything" by the end of that game.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JimRosicaFL/status/1745524390194725261

Guessing the suit will be heard in Fl and not the bad faith filing in NC

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
A lot of smoke around Deboer to Bama. Worst sports week ever if it happens

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

facialimpediment posted:

I am considering going to this, even if I am a bit confused about a three hour time slot for a parade scheduled to go less than a mile. Cold and snow doesn't really bother me but we're supposed to have like 25mph winds at that time which would suck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Asked my dad (Michigan State alum) how it feels to have seen Saban lose his final CFB game in-person, dad responds "Great! Good riddance mf'er". Some grudges never die.

Sirotan posted:

No I didn't touch it

There's a deserted Meijer's?

Gonna have to tell my mom to check it out if she hasn't already.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doronin posted:

Bama actually agreed to terms with Rich Rodriguez but Paul Finebaum talked poo poo about his wife on air and they reneged on the deal. Ah, the good ol' days.

lol oh my god. The power of WJOX

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

this would be a huge bummer

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

C-Euro posted:

Asked my dad (Michigan State alum) how it feels to have seen Saban lose his final CFB game in-person, dad responds "Great! Good riddance mf'er". Some grudges never die.

There's a deserted Meijer's?

Gonna have to tell my mom to check it out if she hasn't already.

It is gone already, was at the Carpenter Rd Meijers from 11-2pm today, and now it is off to the Walmart in Canton (???????) from 4-7. Tomorrow it will be at the State St MDen from 4-7pm which will be a complete shitshow will a line down the block I would guess. I waffled about going for a while because I just assumed it would be a madhouse, but when I arrived there was only one person in line ahead of me.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Sirotan posted:

It is gone already, was at the Carpenter Rd Meijers from 11-2pm today, and now it is off to the Walmart in Canton (???????) from 4-7. Tomorrow it will be at the State St MDen from 4-7pm which will be a complete shitshow will a line down the block I would guess. I waffled about going for a while because I just assumed it would be a madhouse, but when I arrived there was only one person in line ahead of me.

gently caress, i'd love to go to the mden one but state st mden on a friday 4-7 for the natty trophy.. probably best to wait some

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

As soon as I heard Saban was retiring this seemed like an inevitable outcome. Bama absolutely has the money to pay his buyout and he knows he probably won't do better than this season at Washington for a while, if ever again. Plus having the team that embarrassed you in the natty on your schedule next season isn't a fun prospect.

I'm still very sad about how terribly we played Monday but at least it wasn't as bad as the Hawks in Super Bowl 40. We had an unbelievably great season, I just hate that it had to end coming up just short of both of the greatest prizes in the sport.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Help