Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good leveling in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So I've heard. I'm not sure if I'm gonna level solo or with a group. I'm usually faster in a group and that helps especially when you have to do bounties to get your haedrig bags. Game is fun to play with goons.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is Solo Self Found not a permanent feature?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kheldarn posted:

Is Solo Self Found not a permanent feature?

I think it's still there but back to unlimited paragon? Honestly not sure.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I think it's still there but back to unlimited paragon? Honestly not sure.

I would assume this to be true. Looks like it's there but only for seasonal. Patch is live so I just screen'd this.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The altar is confirmed to be a seasonal exclusive feature, so it wouldn't surprise me if SSF is the same way.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mustached Demon posted:

I always win "who got the worst pity primal."

For the first two seasons pity primals were a thing, I got a follower token. Not the cannot die one and not for the follower I was using.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Did we wind up keeping the portals that meant bounties weren't a thing you had to endlessly grind? That's going to be something I miss because bounties are the worst.

Glad it's back to unlimited paragon, though. I suppose if you're the type of person who really wants to compete on the boards the cap could be a positive thing, but it just made it feel like you were gaining nothing for hours of play. It was down to astronomical loot luck to push the extra tier and you just had no other way to compensate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mailer posted:

Did we wind up keeping the portals that meant bounties weren't a thing you had to endlessly grind? That's going to be something I miss because bounties are the worst.

Glad it's back to unlimited paragon, though. I suppose if you're the type of person who really wants to compete on the boards the cap could be a positive thing, but it just made it feel like you were gaining nothing for hours of play. It was down to astronomical loot luck to push the extra tier and you just had no other way to compensate.

You're in luck, those are permanent season things now. The only weird thing is you can only find them in the open world...like when doing bounties. You'll get some while leveling though which will help with DBS and gems if you're saving your cache for the altar.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It's been worked out that the best way to get them is the cow level so just keep stash of Bardiche and when you need mats just run cows. With the added bonus use of legendaries galore in the cow level from all the buffed chests and if running a t16 gold set, which you should for enmity, it can also be the fastest way to rebuild a broke bank.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How do people plan to level? Cache vs no cache? After that, what method? I dunno what is best for groups and solo anymore. Everybody recommends no cache since it saves at most an hour.

Lot of guides say to make a necro to 18 or even for the full journey until you get your bags. Then switch to your preferred class to open them since it's faster to level with a necro. I don't think I'll do that, planning to go monk. After that the rest is up for debate. I'll probably go after the cube and then massacre bonuses. Then hope for a vision or two to get the gold and DBS required for the initial altar stuff.

Or maybe I'll group up and follow whatever the other folks want to do lol.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Play the darkening of Tristram with your favorite class.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

How do people plan to level? Cache vs no cache? After that, what method? I dunno what is best for groups and solo anymore. Everybody recommends no cache since it saves at most an hour.

Lot of guides say to make a necro to 18 or even for the full journey until you get your bags. Then switch to your preferred class to open them since it's faster to level with a necro. I don't think I'll do that, planning to go monk. After that the rest is up for debate. I'll probably go after the cube and then massacre bonuses. Then hope for a vision or two to get the gold and DBS required for the initial altar stuff.

I'm going to save cache because the weekly challenge rifts suck and I'd rather run as few as possible.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Play the darkening of Tristram with your favorite class.

It's the walk speed in there actually lower or just the run animation is gone?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Going from memory, just the animation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So paragon is going back to unlimited, but what about points within paragon? Can you still freely allocate all 200 points per category?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Suburban Dad posted:

The last time this was a harder choice but this time there's no reason not to save the cache. The visions of enmity are the difference maker here as they provide the mats that will be needed. The guides being put out seem to forget visions and darkening are happening too only focusing on the altar rather than the changes those bring.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am the slowest leveller on the planet so I will definitely be opening the cache. Even with the cache it takes me 4-6 hours to level to 70. Without that it might be double that. No thanks.

I am going Monk to start because of the innas haedrig's gift. I love that set. I will also be doing scssf.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gesundheit!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Why do people save the cache?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Because sacrificing a cache is required for one of the levels of the altar of rites.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Dysgenesis posted:

Because sacrificing a cache is required for one of the levels of the altar of rites.

Ohhh poo poo ok. I skipped S28 (just googled altar of rites) and only played the last few days of s29 to kill a bit of time when I got bored running the d4 campaign. Good to know!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you are going to start the season and progress to the point in the altar where you need to sacrifice a cache to progress the altar before the next time you can get one, save it. Otherwise use it. Basically.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If you crack open your challenge rift cache before sacrificing it to the altar, you have to wait for the challenge rift to roll over and get a new one. So unless you want to wait however many days to get another one, just save it for the altar.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You have to get through to the 15th altar node before you need it. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play outside the first night so I can get another on Monday most likely. If you poopsock, probably save it. It's less powerful now so it's not as important to beeline all the nodes anymore anyway.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Ya since in NA the challenge rift resets Monday at 1pm pst its no big deal.

EDIT: I believe EU is Wednesdays

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Lid posted:

The last time this was a harder choice but this time there's no reason not to save the cache. The visions of enmity are the difference maker here as they provide the mats that will be needed. The guides being put out seem to forget visions and darkening are happening too only focusing on the altar rather than the changes those bring.

Except the Altar +damage/+defense nodes have been nerfed so getting a complete altar isn't as big of a power spike. Like Dameius said if you might get stuck at the Challenge Rift cache for a long period over the weekend than save it. Checkout the Seal Unlocking Guide to see if you will do all the steps before step 15. Probably the biggest blocker is needing a Ramaladni's Gift (the thing that adds a socket to weapons). I'm using my cache because I think you can get all of the nice QoL with 14 nodes and I'm probably not blasting hard enough to get a Ramaladni's Gift.

edit: I like this guide

gariig fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 11, 2024

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

gariig posted:

Except the Altar +damage/+defense nodes have been nerfed so getting a complete altar isn't as big of a power spike. Like Dameius said if you might get stuck at the Challenge Rift cache for a long period over the weekend than save it. Checkout the Seal Unlocking Guide to see if you will do all the steps before step 15. Probably the biggest blocker is needing a Ramaladni's Gift (the thing that adds a socket to weapons). I'm using my cache because I think you can get all of the nice QoL with 14 nodes and I'm probably not blasting hard enough to get a Ramaladni's Gift.

edit: I like this guide

Did they approve the drop rates for the things needed to craft a Staff of Herding since whatever season the Altar first appeared? because thinking back to that season, hunting down Chiltara for that drat gem was the most unpleasant part of completing the Altar.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

Did they approve the drop rates for the things needed to craft a Staff of Herding since whatever season the Altar first appeared? because thinking back to that season, hunting down Chiltara for that drat gem was the most unpleasant part of completing the Altar.

They way upped that drat gems drop rate.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

They did! Chiltara drops it 20% of the time now (which…I think it was 3% beforehand? And that’s on top of her only appearing in the Caverns of Frost, and not Icefall Caves? That gummed up my altar for ages too)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Mustached Demon posted:

They way upped that drat gems drop rate.

Hallelujah. That's a welcome change. Now the only thing that will irritate me is, I expect, logging into the challenge rift tomorrow and finding some weird build I've never played before and having to wrestle with that to get my sweet, sweet cache.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Hallelujah. That's a welcome change. Now the only thing that will irritate me is, I expect, logging into the challenge rift tomorrow and finding some weird build I've never played before and having to wrestle with that to get my sweet, sweet cache.

You can try it beforehand. It's jade WD. Get the minions up, cast soul harvest every time it's up, and spam haunt. The timer is much tighter on this one than most season starters, so a practice run to find where the elites and bigger packs are helps. Just don't kill the RG and exit the game.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I made this to not have to fiddle with maxroll.gg, its their recommended unlocking altar for the "balanced" approach. Comment upvote and subcribe :cheers:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Me, like five seasons ago: Eh, this will be the last season. Not much point in buying the necro pack. $22 is a bit steep for a single class in an ancient game and this will probably be the last time I play.

Me, today: Eh, this will be the last season. Not much point in buying the necro pack. $22 is a bit steep for a single class in an ancient game and this will probably be the last time I play.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Necro is fun you should (…waiting on cooldown) try it!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

This week's challenge rift is a Jade WD, but as usual: it was run by someone that didn't know what they were doing. You have Acid Cloud instead of Insect Swarm, and I think the best damage option is just spamming Haunt (for the 2pc Jade reapplication nuke) and not planning on a normal cycle of applying DoTs and exploding them with Soul Harvest. You also don't have a follower or any good passives.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Here's the class wheel for the indecisive goon.

I get a single blood shard for each click of the wheel.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I think I’ll probably do Crusader, then Monk and Witch Doctor, this season. Crusader just got a variety of good builds up to the top tier, the PoJ Monk looks fun, and I did Wizard and Necro for so so so many seasons and need to balance those suckers out.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Here's the class wheel for the indecisive goon.

I get a single blood shard for each click of the wheel.

Well, the wheel has spoken. Guess I'll be playing "Error Establishing Database Connection" this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Russad posted:

Well, the wheel has spoken. Guess I'll be playing "Error Establishing Database Connection" this season.

That is monk, we count those.