Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
shooting at a bunch of civilian ship crew seems pretty bad to me regardless of who’s doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shooting at people in any instance is bad but that's not an enormously useful observation.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

shooting at a bunch of civilian ship crew seems pretty bad to me regardless of who’s doing it

One day you’ll have a not-poo poo opinion but apparently it isn’t today.

The Yemeni govt., referred to by the west as ‘the Houthis’ to make them sound threatening, are the only state to do anything material to stop the currently happening genocide in Palestine. They’ve done this without killing a single person. It’s absolutely remarkable. Tell me JC, if you controlled the Bab El-Mandeb, what would you be doing? Obnoxiously whining doesn’t count.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Are the Houthis the government? They're rebels? There seem to be some other dudes who say they are the government. They just don't seem to be in control. Much like our own government.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Maybe the plan is to soak up so many US and UK bombs, there'll be none left to give to Israel

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yemen is like Ukraine in that it used to be The Yemen but for whatever Geopolitical reason we had to drop the The?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The easiest way to get the Houthis to stop all this would be to tell Israel to quit genociding Palestinians and rebuild Gaza

But that's appeasement and sounds like something Jeremy Corbyn would suggest so we have to have a slowly escalating war with the Houthis because they're the only ones taking a stand. I don't think an economic blockade by the Houthis is a good idea, since the US response was pretty inevitable, but it does show up the USA as huge hypocrites who care more about shipping sex arses around than genocide.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Obviously, directly attacking civilian shipping headed to Israeli ports isn't the most squeaky-clean form of activism, but it's a standard tactic of economic warfare that appears to be just as effective here as it is whenever anyone else blockades a hostile country's trade routes (which is pretty much what every serious international military campaign involves, isn't it?). Eliat port, for instance, has seen an 85% drop in traffic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think the news is deliberately avoiding calling this a blockade, because it might make people consider what happens to civilian ships when they try to run a blockade anywhere else in the world. (They don't get picked up in a big net. :ssh:)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are the Houthis the government? They're rebels? There seem to be some other dudes who say they are the government. They just don't seem to be in control. Much like our own government.

Yes, they de facto control Yemen. If a group is administering all civil, legal and military functions in an area of land it’s usually called a government, unless the west needs it to be rebels.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This might be considered a "Good News" story: Not UK but I'm quite (pleasantly) surprised at US Girl Scouts

https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/2024-trans-girl-scouts-to-order-cookies

quote:

2024 Trans Girl Scouts To Order Cookies From!
This year, consider ordering your Girl Scout cookies from a trans girl scout to make their day!

Did you know that for a long time, Girl Scouts has openly included transgender and nonbinary individuals in its membership? I first learned of this three years ago while searching for a source for my annual Girl Scout cookie purchase. At that time, a wave of anti-trans sentiment was intensifying, prompting me to seek out transgender Girl Scouts from whom to order. One major benefit of their online ordering system is that it allows for trans girl scouts to sell their cookies with relative privacy and no contact between the scout and the purchaser when it comes to online orders.

My initial effort was a success, meeting the goals of every single scout featured on the page. The achievement felt wonderful during what seemed like one of the most severe legislative attacks on transgender children in recent memory. Unbeknownst to us, each subsequent year would bring greater such attacks. Since then, every year I've repeated this initiative, we've surpassed our previous sales, leading to coverage in multiple news stories.

It is that time of year again. I have reached out to the families on my list to gather girl scouts to purchase cookies from. Please consider choosing a trans girl scout to get your cookies from this year - the kids are under attack this year more than ever, so lets give them some joy.

List of several trans girl scouts with ordering links follows in the article.

(I don't really get the whole Girl Scout Cookie thing - other than Wednesday Addams saying "are they made with real Girl Scouts" but I used to know someone who every year made thousands of these things together with her daughter every year. I think they mostly buy them ready made these days to sell on but I might be wrong).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 13, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I think the assertion is that the attacks on shipping with the aim of putting pressure on other countries to stop supporting the israeli genocide of palestinians, is a justifiable action, and that doesn't necessitate supporting any other part of their political platform.

Succinctly put. I'd love it if there were a perfect, (morally) whiter than white resistance group defying Israel and the West but, sadly, it doesn't exist, so I'll go with what we have.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Yes, they de facto control Yemen. If a group is administering all civil, legal and military functions in an area of land it’s usually called a government, unless the west needs it to be rebels.
Same with "no-fly zone" and "sanctions list" and all the other formal names for poo poo that kills people that don't get extended to others. (And ones that got so out of hand that they lost all euphemistic cover, like "ethnic cleansing")

Our government makes tough decisions to blockade ports during times of crisis. Their rebels just shoot at ships because they're bored and mad they have the wrong god or something.

(We should probably also distinguish between the Houthi people, and the political Islamist group Ansar Allah, but our press absolutely will not ever.)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

lol at Reeves actively promising to make poo poo worse if elected:

https://x.com/tkispeter/status/1746139063587869023?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Some day we'll look back on our use of the word terrorist with the same horror that we look back on our use of the words barbarian and savage, but not until we've found a replacement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Same with "no-fly zone" and "sanctions list" and all the other formal names for poo poo that kills people that don't get extended to others. (And ones that got so out of hand that they lost all euphemistic cover, like "ethnic cleansing")

Our government makes tough decisions to blockade ports during times of crisis. Their rebels just shoot at ships because they're bored and mad they have the wrong god or something.

(We should probably also distinguish between the Houthi people, and the political Islamist group Ansar Allah, but our press absolutely will not ever.)

Well, the Houthi clan, more specifically. They're named after their founder, and his direct family and fellow clanspeople make up a significant part of the leadership despite it moving towards being an inclusive pan-nationalist Yemeni movement. Kind of like the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, plus bonus Arab tribal politics.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Same with "no-fly zone" and "sanctions list" and all the other formal names for poo poo that kills people that don't get extended to others.

likewise, the US killing hundreds of Yemeni civilians across two decades of airstrikes - well, those are just the tough choices you have to make to eliminate those barbarous Al-Qaeda terrorists.

These barbarous Yemenis, on the other hand, are crossing a line by endangering innocent civilians, etc,

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah but they don't refer to themselves as the Houthis. They're Ansar Allah. From reading about it today the movement was only really called that by foreign media and political opponents.

It feels a bit like calling Ukraine "The Ukraine" I doubt it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but we probably shouldn't.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Can't wait till next year when we've got the international dream team of starmer and trump

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I don't really get the whole Girl Scout Cookie thing - other than Wednesday Addams saying "are they made with real Girl Scouts" but I used to know someone who every year made thousands of these things together with her daughter every year. I think they mostly buy them ready made these days to sell on but I might be wrong).
Yeah I always got the impression the Girl Scouts made them, I was surprised to learn that Girl Scout Cookies is basically just a special brand of cookies (with several different varieties) that you can only buy from the Girl Scouts once a year (or however often they go around selling them).

I tried some last time I was in the states and they are fierce tasty to be fair.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

Can't wait till next year when we've got the international dream team of starmer and trump

It'll be funny seeing him get driven in circles by trump in a golf cart tho. At least something to look forwards to while everything else goes to complete poo poo.

Trying to find decent research and history write ups and sources for the shitshow in the middle east. This is from 2017 on the history of Yemen. https://www.brookings.edu/articles/who-are-the-houthis-and-why-are-we-at-war-with-them/

Does anyone know if Brookings are even remotely impartial? (For a US think tank) It's exhausting having to research every drat outlet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

It feels a bit like calling Ukraine "The Ukraine" I doubt it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but we probably shouldn't.
See I remember a running bit from Trashfuture from way before the open hostilities started, about Milo getting a ton of poo poo from some ukrainian nationalists because he was well known in Russia snd the fact that he didn't call it 'the' Ukraine was seen as a dog whistle.

This decision about being a terrible person if you say 'the' is a relatively recent one, and not universal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah synecdoche happens all the time in both directions, often completely innocently, and I don't think it alone makes anyone a terrible person (unless it's well known slurs or something), but war has a habit of solidifying those lines and you can usually see which one the various groups circle their wagons around pretty quickly.

Within Anglosphere media, the thing with the The and whether it's Kiev/Kyiv are all products of the war that you could see emerging in real time. I'd bet money that most UK papers would have been using all the cold war names until then. They definitely were in 2014.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Scientastic posted:

I find the privatisation of the post office to be one of the more bizarre efforts to make everything into a capitalist hellscape. In the age of emails, the ability to send physical letters is practically the definition of a public service that cannot be profit making, along with basic utilities and healthca-oh poo poo, there I go again, I’m a communist now
It says something that Thatcher refused to privatise the Post Off-

chestnut santabag posted:

Unlike Royal Mail, which is publically traded, the Post Office is a private company wholly owned by the British state with 99% of the outlets independently run.

I...what? They're not the same thing? :stonk: What's wrong with this crazy country?!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's wrong with this crazy country?!

A lot. But mostly it's the people running it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The problem with the UK is that it expects nothing of itself and yet somehow manages to fall short.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some good arguments being made at the Palestine March in Dublin today:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hey we hate us too

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Down with these sort of Brits

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

One day you’ll have a not-poo poo opinion but apparently it isn’t today.

The Yemeni govt., referred to by the west as ‘the Houthis’ to make them sound threatening, are the only state to do anything material to stop the currently happening genocide in Palestine. They’ve done this without killing a single person. It’s absolutely remarkable. Tell me JC, if you controlled the Bab El-Mandeb, what would you be doing? Obnoxiously whining doesn’t count.

if Israel was shooting at civilian ships you’d be up in arms about it with the rest of us, why is it OK just because it’s done by someone who you apparently approve of?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Israel doesn't have a justifiable reason to shoot at civilian ships. It isn't who is doing it is is the reason why it is being done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

if Israel was shooting at civilian ships you’d be up in arms about it with the rest of us, why is it OK just because it’s done by someone who you apparently approve of?

Maybe they're more concerned about the thousands of dead children than the possibility of damage to a shipping container of HDTVs?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe they're more concerned about the thousands of dead children than the possibility of damage to a shipping container of HDTVs?

please explain how potentially killing people who have nothing to do with either Israel or Gaza is going to make the situation there better in any way

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

It'll be funny seeing him get driven in circles by trump in a golf cart tho. At least something to look forwards to while everything else goes to complete poo poo.

Trying to find decent research and history write ups and sources for the shitshow in the middle east. This is from 2017 on the history of Yemen. https://www.brookings.edu/articles/who-are-the-houthis-and-why-are-we-at-war-with-them/

Does anyone know if Brookings are even remotely impartial? (For a US think tank) It's exhausting having to research every drat outlet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookings_Institution#:~:text=In%201977%2C%20Time%20magazine%20called,term%20%22center%2Dleft%22.

Some say left, some say right, some say centrist.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

please explain how potentially killing people who have nothing to do with either Israel or Gaza is going to make the situation there better in any way

By putting economic pressure on Israel. That seems so straightforward it shouldn't need explaining

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

Israel has been operating a full military blockade for decades, which includes the "shooting at civilian ships" part of blockading.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

There’s a thing called ‘reasons’ that people do things for. Yemen is shooting at civilian ships for the ‘reason’ that its a way to put pressure on the western hegemony to take action to cease the genocide being enacted by the Israeli state. I hope this helps. If you’d like me to explain it in easier to understand language please let me know, I know you struggle with extremely basic reasoning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the intent appears to be to shut down shipping to Israeli ports which hurts the country economically. And also generally disrupting the economies of a lot of countries including the ones supporting Israel. Killing people is incidental to that and so far, does not appear to have actually happened.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Israel has been operating a full military blockade for decades, which includes the "shooting at civilian ships" part of blockading.

Yeah they've literally sent commandos to kill people on humanitarian aid ships. But you're posting at someone who came into existence on October 7th, just like the rest of the universe did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

By putting economic pressure on Israel. That seems so straightforward it shouldn't need explaining

Israel is going to keep going until and unless the US tells them to stop, no sort of shipping blockade is going to make the slightest bit of difference