Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Vox Nihili posted:

We're going to be paying ~$1,650/month for infant (think 10-18 months old) daycare.

(State-sponsored) daycare here is 8 CAD$ a day, and the 8 dollars can be included in tax refunds.

Thanks Québec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Taima posted:

some of this kinda stuff is about doing cagey transactions. buy something shady and then get told “buy this listing”.

I get up to some shady poo poo myself so I would know. One time I got told to go to this weird website and buy hundreds of packs of business cards which let us do a credit card transaction for a completely different, illegal other thing. :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wrt to blood there is an ancient legal norm in Anglo world that people should not be able to sell body parts

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

corporations, however

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

u can tell what ppl are supposed to look like. those tribal guys in weird natgeo "precontact" or w/e villages are thin as hell. thats what default ppl look like i think. without all them burgers. im of "normal" weight btw

People assume medieval knights were buff as hell but they were mostly twinks

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

lol i missed that. drat thats pretty bad. bonds are stupid as gently caress but they're the primary vehicle for capex and major rehabs

yeah I'm dumb as poo poo but that seems like a :coolzone: precursor to me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Orvin posted:

How much of it is younger people in tech that have never seen a significant downswing? In the ZIRP era, places just zombied on, or were eventually bought out. So there were never mass layoffs, just occasional small rounds of people being let go due to mergers and acquisitions and poo poo. But a new job was always just around the corner.

The videos posted here seem to be featuring people who would have still been in high school (or younger) in the 2008 crash, so they are probably a bit unaware of what happens when the music stops and the lights come on at the end of the night.

I am almost looking forward to being in the office next week to hear how some of the younger people at the utility I work at are taking the news that the State Commerce Commission pretty sound rejected the long term rate plan. So now the company executives are in pretty much quiet panic mode.

It's not just young people. Almost everyone forgets in between recessions, even people who got wrecked last time around. I know lots of people who barely clawed their way out of 2008's hole just within the last few years and none of them are at all worried about... anything. You've made it, so that means you're safe forever now and you can just coast. That's how life works.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this gets a lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Judging people who are streaming their layoffs and mad about it because they're not yet numb to the cruelty of the system is lib, sorry

Solidarity even with the youngs

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Only in capitalism can people - not necessarily here on SA - get angrier at the :decorum: of people streaming their layoffs rather than the layoffs themselves.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The polite thing to do is quietly disappear so nobody has to feel bad about it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s the same logic of telling people it’s rude to talk about salary

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Just echoing that I also used to donate blood but had a really bad experience where they hosed up getting a needle in. Why don't they just pay people for blood?

one concern is safety, that people would lie about their health for money, but it's kinda a bullshit concern. that's the reason they always give about why it's illegal to compensate though. the other concern is that economically, once you start doing it, you have to keep doing it because people adjust their internal valuation of it - e.g. why would I donate blood for free when someone paid me for it before

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Only in capitalism can people - not necessarily here on SA - get angrier at the :decorum: of people streaming their layoffs rather than the layoffs themselves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, you're losing your livelihood by being laid off? Well, that's OK, but how dare you impugn the sacred institution of layoffs by disrespectfully streaming on TikTok! Have you kids no shame?!

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

loquacius posted:

Judging people who are streaming their layoffs and mad about it because they're not yet numb to the cruelty of the system is lib, sorry

you can have solidarity and still laugh at someone getting owned hth

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

one concern is safety, that people would lie about their health for money, but it's kinda a bullshit concern. that's the reason they always give about why it's illegal to compensate though. the other concern is that economically, once you start doing it, you have to keep doing it because people adjust their internal valuation of it - e.g. why would I donate blood for free when someone paid me for it before

i have lied many, many times to sell plasma

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

is anyone in this thread actually saying it's bad to stream your layoff

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The best thing about selling plasma is that afterwards you usually get a free cookie and some juice, like you're in 3rd grade or something.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

piss guzzler 420 posted:

i have lied many, many times to sell plasma

the first and only ltime i went there they asked me what i had to eat and i said a couple peanut butter sandwiches. they turned me away and said it could only be red meat lol. i came back ten minutes later and said i ate a steak

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

:hai:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

piss guzzler 420 posted:

you can have solidarity and still laugh at someone getting owned hth

yes

Paradoxish posted:

no

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rectal Death Alert posted:

We had some posters like that as well. Before the big tech layoffs started last year the impression was you could just leave your job for a 10%-20% raise on the same day and if anyone ever dared fire you you have multiple backups that will hire you on the spot for at least what you were making. Forecasted layoffs and unemployment were immaterial as The World Is For Computer Touchers. We will only see their demand and value grow into the future and anyone can walk into a $200,000/yr Google job because Someone Is Always Hiring.

Roasting that mentality was always seen as crab bucketing or something but that 2016-2023 job market ruined a lot of people's idea of the workforce. Anyone that started working during it is going to have an extreme adjustment to how lovely things can be.

and now that you have big paying names/roles on your resume, no "stable" companies want to hire you for jobs paying 65-80k because they'll assume you'll leave for a now nonexistent, higher paying role

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

loquacius posted:

yeah it’s unironically good that the zoomers are hyper social about this poo poo instead of swallowing their losses in personal shame. it may be refracted through the circus of social media but the impulse is purer than making fun of them for it.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

i say swears online posted:

the first and only ltime i went there they asked me what i had to eat and i said a couple peanut butter sandwiches. they turned me away and said it could only be red meat lol. i came back ten minutes later and said i ate a steak

lol hell yeah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

when I was poor and desperate I sold plasma once. I got a $20 debit card that had an $8 activation fee and started degrading at $4/month. that experience was so horrific I'll never do that or donate blood again. gently caress 'em for how much they profit off my body. literal bloodsuckers

When I donated plasma in college for some quick :10bux: they hosed something up royally because blood was spraying out of the tube they had hooked up to my arm before they hooked it up to the machine and it went loving everywhere (like for a second but that's all it took)

Now I have an off chance of randomly passing out whenever I have to give blood for something, neato

Before this when I would donate blood I had em gently caress up the coffee-stirrer-sized needle insertion a few times and leave the arm w huge bruises for weeks. Maybe that's basically unavoidable with those huge things I dunno

I guess I could still donate if I could get my vagovasal syncope thing under control but I can barely think about blood/needles without starting to feel a little lightheaded now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Paradoxish posted:

not everyone has the privilege of being fired by computer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

and now that you have big paying names/roles on your resume, no "stable" companies want to hire you for jobs paying 65-80k because they'll assume you'll leave for a now nonexistent, higher paying role

ugh a friend got laid off last spring from an online glasses company similar to zenni. he's a graphic designer that helped put together their monthly coupon emails. they gave him a crazy nine-month severance and he just played call of duty the whole time. now that the paychecks have stopped he's getting serious about jobhunting but it's a bad time to start. i'm linking him good government jobs that pay 60k with excellent benefits (better than the tech companies now) and he'll just respond with 'lol'. i think he wants 90k minimum

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I actually don't think you can have solidarity with someone while making fun of their shirt or telling them they're spoiled, no, that's not what that word means

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
90k to write emails.. jfc

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RealityWarCriminal posted:

90k to write emails.. jfc

I don't think that's what graphic designers do but could be wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do they still have the rule against selling blood for profit so you can only sell the plasma in your blood and then they have to put the un-plasma-ed blood back into you? That's the part that seems really unpleasant to me. I've donated blood many times, and it's fine, but gently caress them putting it back in me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I don't think that's what graphic designers do but could be wrong.

yeah he's not good with words, he kinda moves pictures around

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Do they still have the rule against selling blood for profit so you can only sell the plasma in your blood and then they have to put the un-plasma-ed blood back into you? That's the part that seems really unpleasant to me. I've donated blood many times, and it's fine, but gently caress them putting it back in me.

If they kept your red blood cells you’d go anemic after a few sessions.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

yeah it looks like a 70s circular slide projector. it'll cycle out the good stuff and put the lovely blood back into you. it's really gross and disconcerting and Not Worth It. literally the only benefit is being a cheap drunk later that evening

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The sensation of the blood getting pumped back into you is very strange yes

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

ugh a friend got laid off last spring from an online glasses company similar to zenni. he's a graphic designer that helped put together their monthly coupon emails. they gave him a crazy nine-month severance and he just played call of duty the whole time. now that the paychecks have stopped he's getting serious about jobhunting but it's a bad time to start. i'm linking him good government jobs that pay 60k with excellent benefits (better than the tech companies now) and he'll just respond with 'lol'. i think he wants 90k minimum

I know nothing about government positions, but my experience with a lot of midrange, extremely boring companies is that there's definitely a bias against candidates who have previously worked in tech, and this is coming from companies that technically probably fall under that umbrella, too. I don't know about salary expectations necessarily, but I've heard a lot of people hiring for dev roles saying that they don't think people who have worked for SV companies have "real" experience. There's almost a blue collar/white collar mentality when you get below a certain compensation level.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

yeah he's not good with words, he kinda moves pictures around

In his head, like Andreessen? Interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I know nothing about government positions, but my experience with a lot of midrange, extremely boring companies is that there's definitely a bias against candidates who have previously worked in tech, and this is coming from companies that technically probably fall under that umbrella, too. I don't know about salary expectations necessarily, but I've heard a lot of people hiring for dev roles saying that they don't think people who have worked for SV companies have "real" experience. There's almost a blue collar/white collar mentality when you get below a certain compensation level.

that's interesting and something i've never experienced or heard talked about. could be true, but i'm not in tech or government IT. you'd think the tech crowd could interview well at least