Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Judging people who are streaming their layoffs and mad about it because they're not yet numb to the cruelty of the system is lib, sorry

Solidarity even with the youngs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

i say swears online posted:

that's interesting and something i've never experienced or heard talked about. could be true, but i'm not in tech or government IT. you'd think the tech crowd could interview well at least

Yeah, it's always hard to generalize because it's not like I have a sample size of a thousand companies. It's just something I've heard repeatedly from people in management positions over the last few years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Judging people who are streaming their layoffs and mad about it because they're not yet numb to the cruelty of the system is lib, sorry

Solidarity even with the youngs

hearing word that the laid-off saleswoman was in the IDF

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that's interesting and something i've never experienced or heard talked about. could be true, but i'm not in tech or government IT. you'd think the tech crowd could interview well at least

i'm not the greatest interviewer, although i've tried pretty hard to get better. that said, the type of work i do often has people huffing their own farts about ~process~ and if your answer doesn't perfectly align with each of the individual visions of the 5-10 different people you interview with for a given job, it only takes one individual to reject you completely

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

lol at that picture of the way milk is totally produced

I bet those two people paid to have that experience and the photo is from their vlog

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i'm not the greatest interviewer, although i've tried pretty hard to get better. that said, the type of work i do often has people huffing their own farts about ~process~ and if your answer doesn't perfectly align with each of the individual visions of the 5-10 different people you interview with for a given job, it only takes one individual to reject you completely

yeah i said that because of the combination of job-hopping where i feel like my tech friends have way more interviews (and successful interviews) under their belts than i do and the more onerous interview process. my government interview was just with who would be my immediate superior, wasn't that difficult, and basically nobody else applied. tech job hiring panel multi-round interviews were always intimidating to me but the stability of my government job is so comforting that i'm basically never going anywhere else. there are people one cubicle over whose last job interview was in 1994

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mandel Brotset posted:

yeah it’s unironically good that the zoomers are hyper social about this poo poo instead of swallowing their losses in personal shame. it may be refracted through the circus of social media but the impulse is purer than making fun of them for it.

I hope they demand the return of expanded unemployment comp, an extra $600/week, only permanently.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh, you're losing your livelihood by being laid off? Well, that's OK, but how dare you impugn the sacred institution of layoffs by disrespectfully streaming on TikTok! Have you kids no shame?!

anyone who says “that’s not a good look” can gently caress off back to reddit and take d&d with them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

i am harry posted:

anyone who says “that’s not a good look” can gently caress off back to reddit and take d&d with them.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

I know nothing about government positions, but my experience with a lot of midrange, extremely boring companies is that there's definitely a bias against candidates who have previously worked in tech, and this is coming from companies that technically probably fall under that umbrella, too. I don't know about salary expectations necessarily, but I've heard a lot of people hiring for dev roles saying that they don't think people who have worked for SV companies have "real" experience. There's almost a blue collar/white collar mentality when you get below a certain compensation level.
We're hiring for a part-time tech position and received a lot of applications with work experience in SV companies, which is unusual for our location (remote workers?). When I mentioned it to others in the field, they said they had seen the same (Amazon, Microsoft, Meta) but when interviewing candidates they showed shocking low skill sets where they were doing a small amount of tasks at an acceptable level, but showed no understanding of anything just a little outside of it.

I don't really know - maybe it's the people who were binge-hired under ZIRP and weren't expected to do much, but are doomed to underwhelm in interviews because of the big name on their resume. I'd like to think the ones who interview better or have more skills are quickly snatched up, but this is a cruel and unfair world.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nothus posted:

The polite thing to do is quietly disappear so nobody has to feel bad about it

If Cloudflare / Discord / all these folks doing layoffs had an ounce of sense, they'd be tying a layoff non-disparage/NDA to some sort of severance agreement so that these videos didn't get posted in the first place. "Keep your health insurance at benefit rate for a year [not COBRA rate] + 6 weeks pay per year of service, as long as you sign this form and stay in your lane" makes 99.999% of these things disappear.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what happened to the career of that dude who circulated that memo at google years back about how women can't do computers good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Knight posted:

We're hiring for a part-time tech position and received a lot of applications with work experience in SV companies, which is unusual for our location (remote workers?). When I mentioned it to others in the field, they said they had seen the same (Amazon, Microsoft, Meta) but when interviewing candidates they showed shocking low skill sets where they were doing a small amount of tasks at an acceptable level, but showed no understanding of anything just a little outside of it.

I don't really know - maybe it's the people who were binge-hired under ZIRP and weren't expected to do much, but are doomed to underwhelm in interviews because of the big name on their resume. I'd like to think the ones who interview better or have more skills are quickly snatched up, but this is a cruel and unfair world.

SV jobs were only ever sinecure positions for the children of America’s car dealership owners

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

SV jobs were only ever sinecure positions for the children of America’s car dealership owners

Yeah look at those "day in the life" tiktoks where they stay till like 8 pm and consume like 50 dollars worth of company supplied treats and artisanal coffee yet somehow never do any actual work

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my employer lets us donate on the clock at blood drives

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo lmao the real bad inflation rose 4.6% last month.

I see how shipping price increases would increase prices a certain amount but why would they increase inflation? Or is it just a shorthand.

Also there is no more inflation we had a soft landing I remember it well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So many of the Disney corporate campus offices had the same floor plan as the childcare center. Just big communal area with a horse shoe of smaller rooms for break out groups and snack stations within eyeshot of the "teacher's" open door or office window.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

what does d&d have anything to do with it you little freak

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

what happened to the career of that dude who circulated that memo at google years back about how women can't do computers good

Linkedin profile says

Software Engineer
Startup
Jun 2018 - Present · 5 yrs 8 mos

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Linkedin profile says

Software Engineer
Startup
Jun 2018 - Present · 5 yrs 8 mos

lol rip

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Heading off for another glorious day at Startup, just like Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

the red cross has had it too good for too long, $500/12 ounces or gtfo

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

yeah he's not good with words, he kinda moves pictures around

this checks out since a picture is worth a thousand words so cha-ching

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

RealityWarCriminal posted:

90k to write emails.. jfc

that's my gf's sister and gf's sister's bf's jobs in Marketing. Bullshit jobs for people to dumb for Accounting or Finance.

https://twitter.com/ghostisposting/status/1582488075216642048

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/a_fuxkin/status/1583200006793678848

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/gazpachomachine/status/1583063609600376832

let's do a wellness check on this guy

https://twitter.com/gazpachomachine/status/1689095753916977152

oh no

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

RealityWarCriminal posted:

90k to write emails.. jfc

the less you work the more you get paid. :c00lbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Egg Moron posted:

I don’t really understand these layoff reaction videos in the same way I didn’t understand the Covid nurses dance routine videos

What does it mean?

We have allowed the big corporations to turn our children into even bigger narcissists than we are.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am on my sixth job, and being laid off still sucks and these kids are going to have to navigate this job market which is the worst it's ever been, like I had to last year. I do not envy them, even if they don't have kids and pregnant wives like I did

Influencers are cringe but they are brothers and sisters all the same

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah look at those "day in the life" tiktoks where they stay till like 8 pm and consume like 50 dollars worth of company supplied treats and artisanal coffee yet somehow never do any actual work

those were HR ads

Sundae posted:

If Cloudflare / Discord / all these folks doing layoffs had an ounce of sense, they'd be tying a layoff non-disparage/NDA to some sort of severance agreement so that these videos didn't get posted in the first place. "Keep your health insurance at benefit rate for a year [not COBRA rate] + 6 weeks pay per year of service, as long as you sign this form and stay in your lane" makes 99.999% of these things disappear.

this is how it usually works, but companies have been such piece of poo poo they think they can get away with asking for an NDA for scraps, so its not even worth it to sign

ive seen a few severance packages for a few people i know and it was basically just 4 weeks of pay, nothing else. if youre already making tech money, might as well just say no. also good chance that tech layoffs hit a lot of failsons with existing money anyway.

anime was right has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Jan 13, 2024

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

anime was right posted:

those were HR ads

Yep, and as soon as ZIRP died, those folks were the first ones out the door.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

it's a donation when you show up to the little truck but it's a product when it hits their shelf

yeah they turn around and sell it

also there is a secondary market that people engage in arbitrage in for it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Discord people at least seem to have gotten 5 months' pay and bennies as severance which isn't too bad

Can't speak to Cloudflare though, since they were doing the whole "it was actually your fault" thing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

loquacius posted:

The Discord people at least seem to have gotten 5 months' pay and bennies as severance which isn't too bad

Can't speak to Cloudflare though, since they were doing the whole "it was actually your fault" thing

They're not going to give someone 5 months pay who was only there for 3 months.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

what does d&d have anything to do with it you little freak

what the gently caress
WHAT THE gently caress

ive been totally looking through all the posts you make and all the replies by people about how you're a piece of poo poo but this. what the absolute fuuuuuuck

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

They're not going to give someone 5 months pay who was only there for 3 months.

Yeah the way they handled it makes me think their motivation was so they don't have to give severance at ALL. That lady can probably sue the pants off them tbh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ardennes posted:

It may also be a overhang from October/early November when oil prices were closer to $90 which caused a "bump" in inflation. It can take 1-2 months for higher prices to show up. I would expect January to come down and February to be up a bit or flat.

Supply line issues will probably affect Europe more than North America, but if the Europeans have to hold high rates, the US is somewhat stuck.

Sticky inflation isn't usually effected by volatile measurements like energy. It is bad when sticky is high and staying high.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Remember he episode of rocki' modern life where heifer gets sucked off by a milking machine?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The nation's leading food reviewer is also concerned about the change in Taco Bell's value menu pricing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reKgy0ZfGyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

foreverially sticky inflated