Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Salt Fish posted:

I think climate and covid thread posters are different groups because you have a budget for digesting grim reality and it starts to stretch thin.

It's me. Im the ultimate sicko who posts and goes in depth into reading about both things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

It's me. Im the ultimate sicko who posts and goes in depth into reading about both things.

how are things lookin boss

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Soap Scum posted:

It's not that bad.

Yet.

It gets worse before it gets worse.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Soap Scum posted:

you think this thread's got good charts. buddy.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

:clint:

Mola Yam posted:

you think this thread's got good charts. buddy.

i do love a good graph - especially if they're going up and to the right?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
american psycho business card scene of the doomthreads comparing charts

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The phylogenetic tree chart is harder to understand, but learning the lore is worth it to really feel the floor drop out from under you.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Salt Fish posted:

I think climate and covid thread posters are different groups because you have a budget for digesting grim reality and it starts to stretch thin.

At the very least you have a posting budget. I read both, but exclusively post here (beyond the occasional attempted joke). But of course insofar as ranking of the horsemen go, climate Death takes the cake and you sometimes need to just chill to the levity of Disease.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pingui posted:

At the very least you have a posting budget. I read both, but exclusively post here (beyond the occasional attempted joke). But of course insofar as ranking of the horsemen go, climate Death takes the cake and you sometimes need to just chill to the levity of Disease.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. At least I can mostly make choices to protect myself from disease. I can't do gently caress all as an individual about the climate. Heat dome in 2021 killed all my loving apple trees in my yard. Made my soil so hydrophobic that I had to use some soap to get the ground to accept water again. That poo poo hosed me up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mola Yam posted:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The phylogenetic tree chart is harder to understand, but learning the lore is worth it to really feel the floor drop out from under you.

is the conclusion that we're extincting everything at light speed?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Iowa has been basically shut down due to weather since Tuesday. I bet there is a noticeable impact on transmission chains, especially in schools.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

@MLKUltra plz do the needful

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

silicone thrills posted:

I have a patch with that motto sewn onto my messenger bag.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Soap Scum posted:

is the conclusion that we're extincting everything at light speed?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

silicone thrills posted:

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

fosborb posted:

hey Baykin, did you manage to get through the provider/insurance nightmare yet?

i think so, the unitypoint stuff was gonna have waiting times before i could begin to get through/set up appointments, so i went the test2treat route and assuming that the website isnt just flat out lying to me, i should have paxlovid on the way via mail. tho im also curious how the crazy snowfalls will affect that as well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Felt a little bad about skipping my friends’ kid’s first birthday party, about 10 people in their apartment. Not two hours after it ended, someone is hitting the group chat with “so I just tested positive but…”

but what? that’s the best part and you left it out!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

CoasterMaster posted:

Did your insurance cover both the fall and this most recent one? I don’t mind paying out of pocket if I absolutely have to, but obvious insurance would be helpful.

I just switched to a Blue Cross EPO plan for this year (it's like a PPO but if you go anywhere out of network they kick you even harder in the junk) and provided I went to an in-network pharmacy (which I did) I didn't pay a dime for the moth juice.

Make sure the pharmacy's in your network, go in and give them your insurance card and ask them how much the booster will be. They can pre-run it to find out how much it'll cost you out of pocket.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

kazmeyer posted:

I just switched to a Blue Cross EPO plan for this year (it's like a PPO but if you go anywhere out of network they kick you even harder in the junk) and provided I went to an in-network pharmacy (which I did) I didn't pay a dime for the moth juice.

Make sure the pharmacy's in your network, go in and give them your insurance card and ask them how much the booster will be. They can pre-run it to find out how much it'll cost you out of pocket.

jfc now I have to know if my pharmacy is in network too?

I loving hate this poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

but what? that’s the best part and you left it out!
but it’s probably nothing, of course!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to a government lab in the near future and they require international visitors (but not anyone else) to wear N95 "or comparable" masks for a week after arrival.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm going to a government lab in the near future and they require international visitors (but not anyone else) to wear N95 "or comparable" masks for a week after arrival.

It's ok to restrict foreigners' freedoms, they are used to it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

The government finally exploring a cure for mod brain? heh, got 'em

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a health care worker, I wear a mask because patients are loving ignorant assholes that won't wear a mask and just cough right in your face as you're hovering over them, don't even try to cover it or move their head. Just loving blasting you right in the face. loving ridiculous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Personally, I wear respiratory protection on account of the airborne nature of the world’s foremost infectious disease.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Covok posted:

I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

As a health care worker, I wear a mask because patients are loving ignorant assholes that won't wear a mask and just cough right in your face as you're hovering over them, don't even try to cover it or move their head. Just loving blasting you right in the face. loving ridiculous.

heh, it is called work because it is not fun

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
can you push magnet buttons from home? WFH rules

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I was told there are jobs where you remote in to the workstation and push the buttons while a tech aide puts a patient on the table etc.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

some family friends just got tagged with simultaneous Covid and flu

they have a 6mo who was due to be vaxxed for both on Tuesday

:shepicide:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
COVID + Flu is no joke. My buddy got got a couple years ago. He was hospitalized for two weeks and now has an ileostomy bag! He's not dead but some days he wishes he was.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

jfc now I have to know if my pharmacy is in network too?

I loving hate this poo poo.

Well, this might just be a feature of the new EPO plans. The site's still broken as gently caress so I couldn't do a search for "in-network pharmacies;" nothing came up. But the paperwork named basically all the huge chains as participating. My original plan was to go to Costco but I couldn't be sure they were covered, and I didn't want to go into Costco if I didn't have to because I can't walk out of that place without spending at least 30 bucks.

If it is a more restricted network the trade-off is that all but one of my prescriptions now cost precisely zero dollars and that includes my asthma medicine which is bonkers expensive at retail. Nothing like seeing "plan pays $1192.50 you pay $0."

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Jan 15, 2024

Griz
May 21, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

If it is a more restricted network the trade-off is that all but one of my prescriptions now cost precisely zero dollars and that includes my asthma medicine which is bonkers expensive at retail. Nothing like seeing "plan pays $1192.50 you pay $0."

my basic-rear end albuterol rescue inhaler was the one thing I encountered where my lovely employer insurance wouldn't pay for it

they made me pay like $60 when I was supposed to have a $20 copay (apparently uninsured was $70 at the time) and then some months later the insurance sent me a check for $40 saying "this should have been approved but wasn't" then some more months later a notice saying "previous payment was in error and now you owe us $40" but I didn't pay and nothing ever happened

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

silicone thrills posted:

My favorite haunts are this thread, then the doomsday economics (charts sometimes go down and to the right), and the Epstein threads. I have to skip quite a few pages in the economics one cause it moves so fast, but I've been determined to never skip here or Epstein because there's too much gold in both.

I try some of the others but the climate one is just beyond me. I can't handle reading about animal die-off and I don't want to risk stumbling across that. It's hard enough with H1N1.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

COVID + Flu is no joke. My buddy got got a couple years ago. He was hospitalized for two weeks and now has an ileostomy bag! He's not dead but some days he wishes he was.

it’s probably all good over here, as children neither catch nor spread disease

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s funny that articles keep running with this stock photograph and its full caption.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:06 on Jan 15, 2024

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Griz posted:

my basic-rear end albuterol rescue inhaler was the one thing I encountered where my lovely employer insurance wouldn't pay for it

they made me pay like $60 when I was supposed to have a $20 copay (apparently uninsured was $70 at the time) and then some months later the insurance sent me a check for $40 saying "this should have been approved but wasn't" then some more months later a notice saying "previous payment was in error and now you owe us $40" but I didn't pay and nothing ever happened

The only time I ever had anything like that was when I had an injury and my doctor prescribed a topical antibiotic for me to use and the pharmacy said "your plan won't cover this-- have them send it back asking for the ointment and not the cream and you'll be fine." Did so and they sorted it out, but gently caress if I know what the difference was meant to be.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Salt Fish posted:

skill problem imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be completely serious, once you've internalized what our current climate trajectory really means nothing else seems all that doom-y anymore. This thread and the doomsday econ thread are just light reading.