Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Heran Bago posted:

It's because the shader compilation stutter is atrocious on PC and subverted on Deck.

Is this why the game sometimes takes like 1-2 minutes to load when I launch it on PC?

Like, not load on a loading screen, but straight up opens a black screen and appears to hang for a bit? It doesn't happen every time, but every once in a while it does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

Question for Canadian goons who have purchased the 1TB OLED recently. How many business days did it take from after you ordered it before you got it in your hands? The limited edition OLED doesn't count.

If your shows up DOA the posting frenzy will be glorious.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Midjack posted:

If your shows up DOA the posting frenzy will be glorious.

:mods:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If it arrives DOA I'm taking it right to Valve.

FedEx has the package now. Asking when it was coming was the key from packaged to shipping.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Soma is really excellent on the Deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

That's such a good game. It took me a few tries to get into it but I was really hooked once I got invested. The story is excellent. I loved their next game, Amnesia Rebirth, too. I haven't played the latest one.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

tango alpha delta posted:

I should get back into it. How’s the FPS?

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

IAmTheRad posted:

If it arrives DOA I'm taking it right to Valve.

FedEx has the package now. Asking when it was coming was the key from packaged to shipping.

What will you do if your SD card from Amazon is a counterfeit and doesn’t have the storage capacity for the files you’ve prepared?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think you mean “when”, not “if”.

I have had a motherfucker of a time sourcing legit SD cards.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What if your arms fall off between now and when the deck arrives

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, I got Open X-Com Extended to install and run just fine. What I don't know how to do is run mods. As I recall, mods for it are normally in the Documents folder on Windows. But I installed using Wine. S where did it create the mod folder? I'm a big dum who cannot virtual machine.

Wine will have created a "prefix" to run Open X-Com Extended in, which is a folder containing a small, self-contained Windows install for the game to run in. Each game gets its own prefix.

The prefix will have a \Users\someone\Documents folder in it and that's where your mods should go I would think.

You just have to find the prefix folder and dig around under it.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Get your mom to play for you

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Totally Huge posted:

What will you do if your SD card from Amazon is a counterfeit and doesn’t have the storage capacity for the files you’ve prepared?

I have only like 60GB of files prepared right now. If the card is fake, I'll get a refund from Amazon. I got a testing utility that'll check the drive that doesn't write to the entire drive. That's if it's not clear if it's fake as soon as I open it.

Then I get a refund from Valve.

My scheduled delivery date is Wednesday by 8pm. 3 business days to get it. Well inside the 3-5 day estimated delivery by Amazon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What if they only fall off after you sign for the package, so you drop the deck and destroy it, voiding any possibility of getting it returned

Starting to think you haven’t thought this through all the way and may have jumped the gun in making your purchase after all

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Sent a replacement request to Valve about my limited edition Deck having three dead pixels and freezing issues. They refused and pasted a bunch of “Tips for not freezing your Steam Deck.” I wrote a new ticket saying their response was unacceptable and they gave me the RMA request. In case anybody else has issues.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What freezing issues?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

pseudorandom name posted:

What freezing issues?

It would just randomly freeze in the OS (gaming and desktop mode.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

What if they only fall off after you sign for the package, so you drop the deck and destroy it, voiding any possibility of getting it returned

Starting to think you haven’t thought this through all the way and may have jumped the gun in making your purchase after all

Then I will swallow the loss because then someone doesn't want me to play the deck at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Started playing Murder by Numbers on my Deck, it's my first real experience with Picross/nonogram puzzles. I'm enjoying it so far, I just escaped from the break room that the cops locked the cast in and found the autopsy report for the dead guy.

I did have a problem the first time I booted it up where after a while it just seemed to... stop responding to input, I'm chalking that up to the game being an epic freebie I'm playing through Heroic.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

v1ld posted:

Wine will have created a "prefix" to run Open X-Com Extended in, which is a folder containing a small, self-contained Windows install for the game to run in. Each game gets its own prefix.

The prefix will have a \Users\someone\Documents folder in it and that's where your mods should go I would think.

You just have to find the prefix folder and dig around under it.

Ahhhh thanks. As a smoothbrained computer-illiterate, where should I dig around? I'm still pretty unfamiliar with Linux file stuff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

abraham linksys posted:

speaking of non-Steam games, I have successfully gotten Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown running on the Deck via Ubisoft Connect (Ubisoft+). this is a perfect portable game (given its lead development platform was the Switch) so its stupid as hell that it got caught up in the Ubisoft EGS exclusivity deal, but thankfully it isn't that bad to get running. you'll want a mouse and a keyboard but I promise this only takes a few minutes outside of waiting for the download:

(via https://pimylifeup.com/steam-deck-ubisoft-connect/)

1. Go into desktop mode and download Ubisoft Connect
2. Add the installer as a non-Steam game and, in properties -> Compatibility, set it to use Proton 8.0
3. Install as normal
4. Go back to Steam and change the properties of the entry you made for the installer to point at the launcher EXE. You'll have to find the "app ID" under the compatdata folder, which is most recently-updated folder.

Launch target "/home/deck/.local/share/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/UbisoftConnect.exe"
Start in Directory "/home/deck/.local/share/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher"

(make sure you put quotes around both entries or it won't work!)

5. Open Ubisoft Connect, log in, and install the game.
6. Add a new entry for the Ubisoft launcher by going to Add Non-Steam Games and adding the same UbisoftConnect EXE. Name this "Prince of Persia" or whatever.
7. Set "launch options" to the following:

code:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>" %command% uplay://launch/6145/0
8. Set the compatibility tool to Proton 8.0.

After launching the game you'll probably have a messed up resolution (I think it copies the resolution of the Ubisoft launcher window lol), but you can set it to Fullscreen and then set it to 720p and it should look fine every time you launch it after that.

Notes on sharing between PC and Steam Deck:

* Saves have to be manually uploaded/downloaded with Ubisoft's cloud on the Load Game screen.
* Logging into Ubisoft Connect on the Steam Deck will log you out on desktop. You can get through the login pretty easily on touch screen, but if you're planning to play on a TV, you'll want to make sure you log back in before docking your Deck. It will at least remember your 2FA if you set it as a trusted device, so you don't have to do that every time, just your email/password.

This is why you use Lutris instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

This is why you use Lutris instead.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm sure its been said to death by now, but the "Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 3 is unplayable on Deck" stuff is either overblown or was fixed in post-release patches. I'm a little into the point of no return at the end of the game and I've honestly not had any issues outside of very occasional texture pop-in.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Act 3 is night and day better than it was at launch, the devs are freaking machines.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Act 3 is when I stopped playing, coincidentally. I need to get back to that game at some point.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Ordered last Thursday afternoon, delivery is due to for this Thursday!

I am very pumped to spend a lot of time tinkering with everything and not actually playing any games.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's such a good game. It took me a few tries to get into it but I was really hooked once I got invested. The story is excellent. I loved their next game, Amnesia Rebirth, too. I haven't played the latest one.

Animal posted:

I should get back into it. How’s the FPS?

On my LED Deck, I'm getting about four hours of Soma gameplay at 40 FPS, with a TDP of 8 and a GPU speed of 1000. If you have an OLED Deck you'll likely get five or six hours of playtime with the same settings.

I absolutely love these philosophical, creepy games about what it is to be human. Just scratches an existential itch for me really, really well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I am very pumped to spend a lot of time tinkering with everything and not actually playing any games.

We’re not so different, you and I.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tinkering is great but have you ever tried playing games? Sublime.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ahhhh thanks. As a smoothbrained computer-illiterate, where should I dig around? I'm still pretty unfamiliar with Linux file stuff.

You said you installed it using Wine directly, so I'm not sure to be honest - sorry! I haven't mucked with Wine directly, preferring to use Proton & Steam to manage everything.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

Tinkering is great but have you ever tried playing games? Sublime.

Can we make a separate thread for people that play games on their Steam Deck?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man FF14 is such a pain in the dick account wise. I haven’t bought endwalker yet but saw it was on sale for $19 this week.

I figured I’d just spend the extra $10 and get the complete edition so I can have it on steam.

Well turns out you can’t have the regular PC version and steam version on the same account lol.

So dumb.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's one of the main reasons I refuse to play anything FF Online related, it's account system has been awful forever.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Not to mention how ff14 favors so many free people like how you can play up to a certain level and expansion for free (and they've raised this cap)

But if you paid for one month of service in the past you're denied that.

And it's a pain in the rear end to do a new account especially because of how it links to your stuff.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Man FF14 is such a pain in the dick account wise. I haven’t bought endwalker yet but saw it was on sale for $19 this week.

I figured I’d just spend the extra $10 and get the complete edition so I can have it on steam.

Well turns out you can’t have the regular PC version and steam version on the same account lol.

So dumb.

I think that's the same with Guild Wars 2, too. I think it's got something to do with how the accounts are set up or something, I dunno. I do know that you can add GW2 as a non-Steam game, and then there's a workaround to bypass the launcher, and the only real issue is that you have to remember to buy expansions through the GW2 website and not Steam but it still works.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think that's the same with Guild Wars 2, too. I think it's got something to do with how the accounts are set up or something, I dunno. I do know that you can add GW2 as a non-Steam game, and then there's a workaround to bypass the launcher, and the only real issue is that you have to remember to buy expansions through the GW2 website and not Steam but it still works.

I'm certain it's to do with revenue attribution and contracts. If you've got a purchase through Steam the whole account has to be marked that way so Valve gets their cut

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, the work-around for GW2 is to make it launch a different way because it checks if it's a Steam version or a Windows version at the launcher-level only. FF14 does it at the license level, making it annoying as poo poo.

I use the Steam version, and thankfully XIVlauncher works with it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rolo posted:

Can we make a separate thread for people that play games on their Steam Deck?

Would probably be a dead thread, I don't think there's any actual interest in playing games, just tinkering.

See my arcade cabinet with hundreds of hours of tinkering on it with approximately 32 minutes of actual play

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm a baby when it comes to horror games. I couldn't really do Amnesia. Is Soma just as stressful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm a baby when it comes to horror games. I couldn't really do Amnesia. Is Soma just as stressful?

There's a wuss mode that helps a lot. It's still spooky, but you don't have to avoid the creatures.