Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
All the Costco stores near me recently stopped allowing customers to order from the food court as they checkout their groceries. :(

Time saving that 73 seconds between checking out at the cashier and walking over to the food court is over.

Also they don't have (or never had?) chocolate ice cream products at the food court.

It's a great place, but my list of complaints grows quarterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

Also they're just... not burritos. You gotta have something besides chicken and cheesy sauce

Goons with chickencheese

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Martman posted:

Also they're just... not burritos. You gotta have something besides chicken and cheesy sauce

Yeah combined with the overall texture similar to baby food its like something you'd give to your 4 year old as My First Burrito.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
The chocolate chip cookie was sold out tonight. Not fair

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Renegret posted:

Every time someone posts that they got a Real Good anything, it's always too complain that it sucks.

At this point just avoid the name altogether.

I didn’t think the bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken thing they sold was horrid, but agreed on the rest of their stuff (and I know several here didn’t like the stuffed chicken either).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a crime and I’m reporting it. They cut a loving $1.50 hotdog in half.

What the gently caress.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I share the hotdog w my gf lady and the tramp style

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Referee posted:

I didn’t think the bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken thing they sold was horrid, but agreed on the rest of their stuff (and I know several here didn’t like the stuffed chicken either).

Ironically this is the only real good product I bought before the thread warned me about it.

Cooking as directed made them hella dry and the cheese has a weird grainy texture. My last package I ended up lazily cooking in the toaster oven until my gut told me it was ready and that one was a lot better, the bacon got more direct heat and the chicken didn't dry out as much. I agree it wasn't horrible but wouldn't buy it again by any means. It still wasn't good. Sounds like I got off easy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GentleReject posted:

Also they don't have (or never had?) chocolate ice cream products at the food court

they used to, but they killed it a year or two ago, at which time they went vanilla-only. now thankfully they brought in the strawberry as well, but imo it's not a replacement for the chocolate.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Douchebag posted:

Man I’d love a Trader Joe’s near me, 90 minutes is the closest. Costco, Publix/Food Lion/Kroger depending on need as those 3 have the best prices on produce and other fresh goods or Lowe’s Foods because while they might be more of a Whole Foods style place and more expensive, fantastic deli, bakery and butcher. Plus they have a beer den so we can drink beers and shop.

I love Trader Joes but rarely ever go there because the selection is just stupid unhealthy and the produce sucks.

The price of things are good, and the snacking there is absolute god tier though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RIP chinatown, a complex soul who adored Costco but also telling people to eat a bullet on taco tuesday

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It’s easy to get that much if it’s the only card you use.

Edit: timg cause drat cropped phone screenshots are massive

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 17, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tiny Timbs posted:

RIP chinatown, a complex soul who adored Costco but also telling people to eat a bullet on taco tuesday

He was a man of contrasts

I use an airline miles card mostly so my executive cash back is like $150

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i hope chinatown works on his anger issues and also realizes asada fries are nothing to be proud of

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I actually rarely go to Costco. I go for my bulk stuff. But I use my Costco Citi credit card for just about every single purchase that I make in person. Unless a place only takes cash, I'm using my CC. Not once have I paid interest on it.

Free money!

Honestly the Costco visa card is not good. It's only 1% on base purchases, so you shouldn't be using it for everything. The fact that you're accruing major points on your church visa means you can be obtaining serious rewards elsewhere with a little planning.

For example we have a Chase oriented structure:

- Freedom Unlimited for base purchases without good coverage (1.5%)
- Freedom for the rotating 5% categories

With the main use card being a shared Sapphire Reserve (which itself is 3% restaurant/travel). All of the points on the Freedoms go to the SR, and then the SR gets you Expedia credit at 1.5x redemption.

The Sapphire Reserve is $550 a year which sounds expensive but $300 of that is a freebie "travel" credit which works on random basic poo poo like gas so the card is really only $250.

If you fly even occasionally, the free airport meals and free lounge visits are really nice, and you can even pay for a guest's meal at airports too, and you get Global Entry and TSA Precheck... and a host of pretty useful other random poo poo too

We are just finishing up a 2 year loop of CC rewards and this time we're using it to purchase the majority of 2x round trip tickets to Japan. Last time we went to Tahiti and Mo'orea.

You are accumulating so many rewards on a card/strategy that isn't multiplying the way it should :shrug: just imo

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I used to have a Sapphire Reserve card until the panny hit. The airport lounge access was pretty nice but I haven't traveled much lately so I don't really miss the card especially since it cost $550 annually.

That's fair, but to be clear, you would have to be an epic homebody to not use the total gimme $300 travel credit. It's ludicrously generous on what constitutes travel, including basic stuff like gasoline. So I consider it a $250 yearly card, or about $20 a month.

The overall point is good though; you must travel for the high end credit cards to be worth it. The entire experience is made to save up for points-fueled vacations and then use the card for the knock-on travel perks (no foreign fees, trip insurance, delay insurance, car insurance, Reserve Conscierge, global entry etc etc)

At the end of the day though the point is, anyone getting several hundred dollars on their reward check on the Costco Visa is leaving some serious money on the table unless they don't travel at all.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 17, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I used to have a Sapphire Reserve card until the panny hit. The airport lounge access was pretty nice but I haven't traveled much lately so I don't really miss the card especially since it cost $550 annually.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I use the Citi card for the 4% gas, 3% restaurant and travel, and 2% 'Co purchases. Anything else I use my credit union's card which is 1.5% cash back. I don't care about your bonus air miles of whatever, I pay no fees and that's good enough for me.

I don't even use my card that often but booking trips through Costco Travel and getting a lot of gas adds up quickly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Ah it's the credit card. I have a few different cards that I use at places depending on what their rewards are. Amex gives 3% on groceries so I use that at heb. Discover does different things each quarter so depending on what it is I may use that. My bofa customized cash card let's me choose categories. I've never added up the rewards across various cards but I'm sure it's a lot cause I pay for everything on credit and pay it off. Also the reward is given monthly, weird you have to wait all year for that one

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Last year when we went to Costco to get our $600 or so cert cashed out, and the employee was annoyed and said we could have gotten a direct deposit instead or something, but I can't find out how you would actually do that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Schmeichy posted:

Last year when we went to Costco to get our $600 or so cert cashed out, and the employee was annoyed and said we could have gotten a direct deposit instead or something, but I can't find out how you would actually do that.

My executive membership rewards are about $600 a year, and it's always a certificate I have to bring to the cashier. My Citi cash back was a direct deposit last year though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

bucksmash posted:

I use the Citi card for the 4% gas, 3% restaurant and travel, and 2% 'Co purchases. Anything else I use my credit union's card which is 1.5% cash back. I don't care about your bonus air miles of whatever, I pay no fees and that's good enough for me.

I don't even use my card that often but booking trips through Costco Travel and getting a lot of gas adds up quickly

You're a traveler and don't care about free trips and hotel stays? Fair enough friend. All is accepted in the church.

Without the Sapp Reserve I never would have gotten to experience the sublime Andaz Papagayo, man, good times.

Anyways it's not worth a derail beyond this, just wanted to let people know what else they could do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Schmeichy posted:

I did it for the credit card last year because it was like $900.

It's... Somewhere in the app. I wish I remembered how I did it but it was pretty well hidden.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Unless you do a lot of business travel, those travel rewards cards are rarely worth the mental energy it takes to juggle a bunch of different cards.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I bought the wrong bag of coffee on my last costco trip so I wanted to make a super quick trip to return the coffee, get the right coffee and pick up some flour.

so obviously no cart, going through costco as fast as possible and my husband says "oh lets get some of that australian licorice" so we grab 2 bags of that. then we pass the bakery and "oh lets get some banana nut bread"

so by the time we get to self check out i have 20lbs of flour + 2 licorice, husband has the 3lbs of coffee + banana nut bread and the self check out guy is all "YOU KNOW WE HAVE CARTS" and im like "BUDDY THE CARTS MAKE EVERYTHING SLOWER I GOTTA GET OUTA HERE" and hes all "maybe we should offer skateboards, jeeze"

anyway, fastest trip ever, a++ plus i got some functional weight lifting in.
I thought, "oh no. They got distracted. They're gonna be stood in the middle of the frozen aisle, babysitting a mound of goods while their partner runs fir a cart." But, you pulled it together, and stayed on course!
Good job.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

This is a crime and I’m reporting it. They cut a loving $1.50 hotdog in half.

What the gently caress.

Two halves of a Costco hot dog are worth no less than a full size one. We don't hate on Costco hot dogs, any way you want to eat such a delicious and affordable meal is acceptable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Toxic Mental posted:

Two halves of a Costco hot dog are worth no less than a full size one. We don't hate on Costco hot dogs, any way you want to eat such a delicious and affordable meal is acceptable.

The video shows they raised the price of the hotdog. Still listed as 1.50, yet each serving is a half. Crime.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

There's some place near me that sells a dog and soda for $1.38. The employee's tears of misery make it taste even better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Someone talk me out of this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

:wrong:

I’ll give them the half a chicken bake because those are gross.

Half of a hot dog as a serving is dumb bad and wrong.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Alan Smithee posted:

Get the bigger one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Get the bigger one

Why is the bigger one cheaper?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Get the bigger one

It's not bigger, it's closer.

MarcusSA posted:

Why is the bigger one cheaper?

That sign isn't for a flashlight.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kuros posted:

It's not bigger, it's closer.

That sign isn't for a flashlight.

I'm just learning about perspective, very interesting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alan Smithee posted:

Get it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

9 AA batteries drat!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hutla posted:

Unless you do a lot of business travel, those travel rewards cards are rarely worth the mental energy it takes to juggle a bunch of different cards.

Extremely not true, we got our entire hotel stay in Japan (10 nights) paid for by doing some CC juggling

Juggling is also pretty dramatic: it takes very little thought and a minimal amount of organizing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bachans bbq sauce is so good, and Im going to be real upset when it eventually disappears.

Very clearly not going to be one of those forever items

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What it look like

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

imgur being weird on phone

so so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...