Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
File description from the Internet Archive:

2024-01-17 17:33:41

quote:

These documents were obtained by Twitter/X user @gumby4christ from the US Geological Survey through a FOIA request. Gumby asked for exactly the same documents that were provided to reporter Emily Kopp of US Right to Know (USRTK), an organization that promotes the so-called lab leak theory for the origin of Covid.

These USGS emails contain early drafts of DEFUSE, a proposal submitted to DARPA seeking an award under DARPA's PREEMPT program. DEFUSE, which was first published (in expurgated form) by DRASTIC (a loose collective promoting the lab-leak theory) and later by The Intercept (also in expurgated form), showed plans to insert a Furin Cleavage Site in SARS-like coronaviruses. Because this proposal involved the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the focal point of most popular lab-leak theories, it has become a hugely significant and controversial piece of the Covid-origin puzzle. EcoHealth Alliance was the lead member of DEFUSE. Additional team members include UNC, Duke-NUS, Palo Alto Research, and the USGS National Wildlife Health Center, from which these documents were obtained.

Gumby made this FOIA request because Emily Kopp had written an article based on this cache of documents, but USRTK published only a portion of them. Scientist and natural origin proponent Flo DeBarre also appears to have requested the same documents and wrote a brief Twitter/X thread purporting to disprove certain allegations made by Kopp.

The document posted to USRTK's website totals 235 pages. The full cache posted here is 1,412 pages. USRTK's upload appears to be just the first 235 pages of this longer version.

Gumby has provided this cache for any and all researchers interested in Covid's origin to use as they see fit. Gumby has not vetted the document and makes no claims as to its contents. As government records, these documents belong to the public (not to USRTK, Flo DeBarre, Gumby, or anyone else), and anyone should feel free to copy and repost them if they wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Twitter/X user @gumby4christ, thank you for your service

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i am not equipped to assess that information

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A New Zealand court just got around to sentencing a sovcit who kept selling MMS Miracle Mineral Solution (bleach) as a covid cure after many many warnings and despite giving him ample opportunities to stay out of jail he kept refusing to cooperate so he not only missed his chance at bail during the proceedings but he's now been sentenced to a further 10 months in prison. The judge did grant him "leave to apply for home detention should he wish to work with probation and complete a report" but it remains to be seen if he can manage even that level of cooperation. :v:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/waikato-man-roger-living-man-blake-jailed-for-selling-bleach-as-cure-for-covid-19/PR4Q45A7YBHTRFFODYNFBFVTFY/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam posted:

i am not equipped to assess that information

Worry not.

I’m sure that Congress will get to the bottom of it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They've got top men working on it.

Top.

Men.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
but the gist seems to be:
-DEFUSE did a covid with bats
-the aim was to create it, and then make countermeasures (nasal vaccines!) for a human transmissible version
-oopsie
-...gently caress

is that about it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Twitter/X user @gumby4christ, thank you for your service

It all happens on 𝕏, and also on the Internet Archive, which Chuck Wendig wishes to kill.

e: love that one of the other players here has this avatar:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:19 on Jan 18, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lmao that owns

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

[Recombinant SARS CoV] US researchers will likely freak out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Recombinant SARS‐related coronaviruses are usually mild and don’t kill tens of millions of people.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

fuckin lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yes, 20 million died

but we saved a LOT of money on safety precautions for the lab

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
honestly, moreso than "epstein dead man switch", or even thread favourite "ft detrick/military games", i can very easily believe "skint academics just trying to get their work done"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The labs folks are fortunate that the “lab leak proponents” are their own worst enemies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

This is something that comes up in some of the Verso and Zer0 books about Covid as a disease of capitalism, and I understand it sort-of, but I'm confused, just like with QE, about the pursuit of policies that are rapidly unravelling the system. I know pursuit of short term profit is the easiest answer, and a generation of ideologues, compounded by the experience of the End of History, mean that all of these dumb Capitalist/Protestant/American axioms are accepted by people who are actually important, but it's still ... for lack of a better word.. crazy to me that "pretend a disease doesn't exist" was and is considered viable at levels ranging from the individual to supranational.

If the government can build a canal they can also abolish slavery.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Frosted Flake posted:

This is something that comes up in some of the Verso and Zer0 books about Covid as a disease of capitalism, and I understand it sort-of, but I'm confused, just like with QE, about the pursuit of policies that are rapidly unravelling the system. I know pursuit of short term profit is the easiest answer, and a generation of ideologues, compounded by the experience of the End of History, mean that all of these dumb Capitalist/Protestant/American axioms are accepted by people who are actually important, but it's still ... for lack of a better word.. crazy to me that "pretend a disease doesn't exist" was and is considered viable at levels ranging from the individual to supranational.

Do you not ever have to work with MBAs? They are incredibly short sighted and stupid, short term profit fully explains it to me. They all just assume they won't be the bag holder.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

Hmm, that's a good thing to write in a grant proposal, funders love it.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

One weird trick. US researchers hate this!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New survey out from National Nurses United. It's pretty dire reading. Here just a teaser, the long COVID and staffing sections, but the whole thing is worth a read.
"Nurses face worsening working conditions amid winter surge in Covid and other respiratory viruses, as CDC looks to weaken infection control guidance"

https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/ninth-covid-survey-nurses-face-worsening-working-conditions posted:

Ninth National Nurses United Covid survey points to continued egregious lack of protections

As Covid and other respiratory viruses are surging once again, National Nurses United’s (NNU) latest nationwide survey of more than 2,600 registered nurses reveals continued failure by health care employers to protect staff and patients from Covid-19, other significant safety issues, and the ongoing deleterious effects of the pandemic on the emotional and physical health of nurses.

These already dangerous working conditions for nurses are likely to be worsened if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) fails to reject draft updates from its advisory committee on health care infection control (HICPAC). HICPAC’s draft, which was finalized by a unanimous vote in November 2023, proposes to weaken existing protections and ignores scientific evidence on aerosol transmission and respiratory protection.

This is the ninth national survey of nurses conducted by NNU since the start of the Covid pandemic. This survey finds that employers continue to fail to institute basic protective measures for Covid-19, including contact tracing, screening, and personal protective equipment (PPE). Results indicate that nurses continue to experience the impacts of long Covid, which can be debilitating and require nurses to take significant time off work to recover, contributing to the staffing crisis in health care.
(..)
Long Covid
  • 69.5 percent of RNs report having been diagnosed with Covid-19. Of those who had Covid, 56.4 percent had Covid once, 29.8 percent twice, 10.5 percent three times, 2.0 percent four times, and 1.4 percent five or more times. This is likely an undercount due to lack of testing and asymptomatic cases.
  • After recovery from Covid-19, RNs experienced ongoing symptoms, including tiredness or fatigue, memory or concentration difficulties, joint or muscle pain, headaches or migraines, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, symptoms that get worse after physical or mental activities, heart palpitations, and chest pain. These symptoms have lasted: 0-3 months for 30.8 percent of RNs, 4-6 months for 13.7 percent of RNs, 7-9 months for 5.8 percent of RNs, 10-12 months for 7.4 percent of RNs, and more than 12 months for 28.1 percent of RNs.
  • A majority of RNs (58.4 percent) who had Covid at least once required time off work to recover from post-Covid symptoms.
  • For 53.1 percent of RNs who had Covid, their long Covid symptoms have affected their ability to work. And for 65.1 percent of RNs, their long Covid symptoms have impacted their daily activities outside of work.
(..)
Staffing
A majority of nurses continue to report unsafe staffing in their facilities—63.2 percent of hospital RNs report that staffing has gotten slightly or much worse in the past month. This result has remained consistent in surveys conducted in 2021, 2022, and 2023 (Figure 2), indicating that health care employers continue to fail to safely staff units, which jeopardizes nurse and patient safety.
  • 30.6 percent of hospital RNs report an increase in the use of travelers in the past month, which is a decrease from surveys conducted in 2021 and 2022 (Figure 2).
  • 14.5 percent of hospital RNs report that their facility has introduced new models of nursing, e.g., team nursing, or other “crisis staffing standards” in the past month. This is a slight increase from surveys conducted in 2021 and 2022.
  • Nearly half (47.3 percent) of hospital RNs report that their facility is using excessive overtime to staff units. This result is essentially unchanged from surveys conducted in 2021 and 2022, indicating that health care employers continue to fail to safely staff units.

(..)
Impacts of the Pandemic
(..)
Many nurses cite impacts of the pandemic—and specifically their employers’ ongoing failures to safely staff their units and provide strong workplace protections—as reasons they are considering or have left the bedside. NNU’s ninth Covid survey finds significant and substantial increases in the proportion of nurses who report considering or actively seeking to leave their current position (Figure 6).
  • 35.3 percent of RNs report they have reduced the number of hours they are working as a nurse.
  • 70.4 percent of RNs report they have thought about leaving nursing.
  • 41.2 percent of RNs report they are seeking or have gotten a different job.
  • 46.4 percent of RNs report that they are seeking or have gotten a different type of nursing job.
  • 83.8 percent of RNs know coworker(s) who have left nursing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In vitro (hPSC-derived = organoid) and autopsy study. With the money shot quote being "Given our findings, we posit that over the coming years, there is a need to closely monitor COVID-19 patients for an increased risk of developing PD-related symptoms." PD = Parkinson's Disease.
"SARS-CoV-2 infection causes dopaminergic neuron senescence"

https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(23)00442-3 posted:

Highlights
• hPSC-derived DA neurons are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection
• SARS-CoV-2 infection of DA neurons triggers cellular senescence response
• Several FDA-approved drugs were identified to rescue senescence of DA neurons
• Cellular senescence was found in substantia nigra tissues of COVID-19 patients

Summary
COVID-19 patients commonly present with signs of central nervous system and/or peripheral nervous system dysfunction. Here, we show that midbrain dopamine (DA) neurons derived from human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) are selectively susceptible and permissive to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. SARS-CoV-2 infection of DA neurons triggers an inflammatory and cellular senescence response. High-throughput screening in hPSC-derived DA neurons identified several FDA-approved drugs that can rescue the cellular senescence phenotype by preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection. We also identified the inflammatory and cellular senescence signature and low levels of SARS-CoV-2 transcripts in human substantia nigra tissue of COVID-19 patients. Furthermore, we observed reduced numbers of neuromelanin+ and tyrosine-hydroxylase (TH)+ DA neurons and fibers in a cohort of severe COVID-19 patients. Our findings demonstrate that hPSC-derived DA neurons are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2, identify candidate neuroprotective drugs for COVID-19 patients, and suggest the need for careful, long-term monitoring of neurological problems in COVID-19 patients.

Graphical abstract

(..)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
thread validation: DL at the NYT has been writing about an area of my expertise recently, and — even in the areas where i think he is directionally correct — he is being very smug and incomplete in his understanding of the research and its implications for public policy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Petey posted:

thread validation: DL at the NYT has been writing about an area of my expertise recently, and — even in the areas where i think he is directionally correct — he is being very smug and incomplete in his understanding of the research and its implications for public policy

He really is capital’s perfect idiot.

I assume you’re talking about the college admissions kick that he’s one now, but his “renting > buying” crusade from a couple months ago is at least as bad.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

aj and ebright are both grifters, hth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

everyone's got bills to pay

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

guess I can check Leonardi off the list of people to not bother listening to anymore

the lab leak hypothesis is meaningless, it's just an excuse to look away from the real issue (neoliberal rot destroying public health). We contained SARS-CoV1, we didn't even bother trying with SARS-CoV2.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

guess I can check Leonardi off the list of people to not bother listening to anymore

the lab leak hypothesis is meaningless, it's just an excuse to look away from the real issue (neoliberal rot destroying public health). We contained SARS-CoV1, we didn't even bother trying with SARS-CoV2.

sure but its an entertaining excuse that could cause many lmaos (and also might be due to neoliberal rot?)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Kreeblah posted:

[Recombinant SARS CoV] US researchers will likely freak out.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

I mean, cost-cutting on safety for the bottom line is definitional of neoliberal rot. I will howl if they were doing BSL2 precautions for the $$$aving$.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Meh, I'll just keep it in mind and hold on to it until after the election. When Trump wins again, I'll just bust it out and try to convince them that Trump made Covid-19.

If it will get those stupid brunch liberals to mask up again somewhat I'll take that as a win

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Advocating the lab leak hypothesis has typically been against the rules in this thread, which I'm realizing is incredible evidence that its going to end up being true.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1748001150052254158

Live tweeting of this. It's nice they're having an actual senate hearing but I'm not holding my breath that it will means anything in the long term.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

I have a friend who’s a physician at Forbes. They’ve been warning everyone who’d listen that Covid has been on the rise since September. They test everyone who comes into the ED for whatever reason and it began climbing back then. People going in for RSV and other respiratory illnesses has been steadily climbing since mid-October.
While I don’t mask everywhere, I do always have a mask on me, and if I’m going to be indoors in a public space for more than an hour, especially something like a concert or major social gathering, even shopping in a fairly crowded store, I wear it.
I have friends who were warned of this who went to parties beginning in late November, through the present - separate sets of friends, in different states; all of them got Covid from those first parties they attended.
Be prepared and careful out there.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao Sanders is saying that Congress absolutely is concerned about Covid while being unmasked to a mostly masked crowd. Shut the gently caress up man lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao Sanders is saying that Congress absolutely is concerned about Covid while being unmasked to a mostly masked crowd. Shut the gently caress up man lol

He earned himself 3 weeks of temporary immunity let him enjoy it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

deadwing posted:

aj and ebright are both grifters, hth

because of this? or something else? need to update the aj row in my covidposters.xlsx accordingly thx

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

COVID leaked out of Bernie Sanders cause he got too excited

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If it makes you feel any better, or worse, AJ has posted some lab leak stuff to twitter at least a few times in the past. I just ignore it and enjoy the T-cell dunking he gets to do on the "COVID damages your immune system" deniers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm not equipped to have a real opinion about it, but if it's true that would mean cost cutting brain rot was responsible for the origin of the virus along with everything else and if nothing else that would be very funny