Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zantie posted:

Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
County		Shed ID		Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Franklin	PAS & 753	(1)&(2)	Jan-12	STEADY	    ±  2%
Spokane		RP & 759	(1)&(2)	Jan-12	STEADY	    ±  9%
Spokane		SPK & 760	(1)&(2)	Jan-12	STEADY	    ±  2%
Walla Walla	WALLA&1620	(1)&(2)	Jan-08	DOWN	    - 59%
Whitman		PLM & 1512	(1)&(2)	Jan-12	STEADY	    ±  8%

Fixed link for Northeast & Southeast Wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i leaked covid

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Zodium posted:

i leaked covid

i said this to myself every time i contributed to wastewater data while infected in november

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zodium posted:

i leaked covid

That's normal according to wastewater data.

e;fb

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

goddamnit

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah that one Ohio person leaked COVID for like two years and nobody even bothered to get a name.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah that one Ohio person leaked COVID for like two years and nobody even bothered to get a name.

SARS-CoV-2, last name Omicron.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Jan 18, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

They're US based, lol.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Omicron

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

because of this? or something else? need to update the aj row in my covidposters.xlsx accordingly thx

for the last year and a half or so he's been more interested in twitter slapfights, substack subscriptions, and poorly interpreting studies than offering anything insightful or useful

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

literally my mother in law, who has said several times "I always have a mask in my pocket" lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

t seems like the current uptick started shortly after schools went back into session, increased when it began being too cold to do gatherings outdoors comfortably, and increased again with holiday party season. I personally don’t see it dropping off much again until about 2 weeks after Easter, when all the major holidays are done until people can go back outside and school is winding down.

quote:

Wearing my mask again. The one day I didn’t I immediately got COVID for Christmas. Luckily it was mild because I was vaccinated. But nearly every family I know has someone with Covid. It is absolutely rampant right now. It feels like 2020 levels just not as severe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tens of thousands of reported Australian covid cases from 2020-2023 just got retroactively deleted, we're not sure why yet

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1747730527225102511#m

Apr 7, 2003

I have an educated guess as to why

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

hahahaha

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Do we have a good article about why COVID produces so many different outcomes for different people? I've got someone asking and I think they want something more in depth than "it's a vascular disease that can get anything in the body."

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Do we have a good article about why COVID produces so many different outcomes for different people? I've got someone asking and I think they want something more in depth than "it's a vascular disease that can get anything in the body."

Not worth the effort to explain why extremely complex systems (the human body) can have different outcomes. It would be like explaining why someone that broke their leg now needs a cane and a different person that also broke their leg doesn't. You need to drill down so deeply into "broken leg" that you're giving a seminar to someone that doesn't care to understand.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not equipped to have a real opinion about it, but if it's true that would mean cost cutting brain rot was responsible for the origin of the virus along with everything else and if nothing else that would be very funny

I'm not, either, but it's the first lab leak thing that seems maybe plausible to me. I'm gonna be loving howling if it turns out to be true.

I love how we used to have COVID surges, but now we have COVID "upticks". Can't use the scary language any more. That might imply that it's still a problem.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I thought this article was pretty good for a high level overview of general current consensus - https://www.heart.org/en/news/2024/01/16/how-covid-19-affects-your-heart-brain-and-other-organs

But basically if you think about it coursing through the body, wherever it gets a foothold over the immune system defenses and establishes a runaway infection is going to be where symptoms are felt. And that's going to be somewhat random.

I know, that's pretty much just restating "it's a vascular disease that can get anything in the body."

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Someone explain the lab leak thing and if it's provable or just more fuel to add to the conspiracy fire. (Not to say it can't be true, but it needs to be provable.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cretin90 posted:

Someone explain the lab leak thing and if it's provable or just more fuel to add to the conspiracy fire. (Not to say it can't be true, but it needs to be provable.)

what kind of proof could we expect for such a thing

Apr 7, 2003

ahahaha

Capital used the pandemic and the threat of withholding treats to destroy disease theory utterly, and we're never going back to 2010 era public health

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

New survey out from National Nurses United. It's pretty dire reading. Here just a teaser, the long COVID and staffing sections, but the whole thing is worth a read.
"Nurses face worsening working conditions amid winter surge in Covid and other respiratory viruses, as CDC looks to weaken infection control guidance"

Holy poo poo this is horrific. Oh well, some people clapped for them 4 years ago, there's nothing more that can or should be done.

Baddog posted:

I thought this article was pretty good for a high level overview of general current consensus - https://www.heart.org/en/news/2024/01/16/how-covid-19-affects-your-heart-brain-and-other-organs

Thank you! I'm sure it'll just lead to being called mentally ill, but I don't want to stop trying.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ahahaha

Capital used the pandemic and the threat of withholding treats to destroy disease theory utterly, and we're never going back to 2010 era public health

lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cretin90 posted:

PFC thinks its false, AJ thinks its true. What more evidence could you want.

Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I think it's irrelevant

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If covid happened because a US company wanted kroger brand biolab because its cheaper that's funny enough that its relevant to my interests as a poster.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Salt Fish posted:

If covid happened because a US company wanted kroger brand biolab because its cheaper that's funny enough that its relevant to my interests as a poster.

real, it's like PFC has lost the spirit of a poster not seeing the inherent LMAOs in this scenario

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

New survey out from National Nurses United. It's pretty dire reading. Here just a teaser, the long COVID and staffing sections, but the whole thing is worth a read.
"Nurses face worsening working conditions amid winter surge in Covid and other respiratory viruses, as CDC looks to weaken infection control guidance"

One of my sisters passed away almost two decades ago. She had Turner's Syndrome, and a common complication for people with Turner's is aortic dissection. When she was 18, she felt heavy pain in her heart, but her doctor dismissed as heartburn. She died from an aortic dissection a few days later, and the doctor, who had been treating people with Turner's for over a decade, genuinely had no idea aortic dissection was a risk factor. I think this is one reason why this pandemic has been so engrossing for me, because I've seen the consequences of doctors not staying up-to-date on information about diseases, even though it's their loving job.

But what really upsets me upon reading that article is that my sister's dream job was to be a nurse. She spent so much time in the hospital, and the care from the nurses kept her spirits up. She wanted to be a nurse so that she could provide the same compassion and care that she received herself. And yet this is the state of the profession these days. They're all-in on eugenics, a life like hers would have stood no chance. :smith:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Pingui posted:

Try test2treat.org

this worked. thank you both

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.test2treat.org really ought to be in the OP

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Salt Fish posted:

Let's split the difference and blame the vaccines.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

Speaking of the changing situation facing medical staff, one hospital in Australia reported an 80 percent increase in violence towards staff in 2023

poo poo's getting real bad

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
There was a team lunch planned for work yesterday (normally I work from home). It got cancelled yesterday, not due to COVID or anything, but because the roads are icy and people had problems coming in.

And of course last night someone who would have been at lunch posted to the slack channel that they are coming down with flu symptoms. :golfclap:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

One of my sisters passed away almost two decades ago.

:smith:

this is brutal as hell. sounds like you’ve been here for awhile

:smith:

MMania
May 7, 2008

Cretin90 posted:

Covid A) was purposefully leaked by evil scientists in order to kill Americans and B) is mild and hasn't killed a single person. I wish it wasn't trivial for me to imagine simultaneously believing those two things.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Yeah I got Covid again, and so did all my friends and family. So anyway, remember back during Covid..."

:allears:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Brain Curry posted:

this worked. thank you both

how much out of pocket

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/18/us/nassau-long-island-midwife-falsify-vaccine-records/index.html

quote:

"Midwife fined $300,000 for falsifying the vaccine records of hundreds of school-aged children "

quote:

The vaccine scheme began at the start of the 2019-2020 school year, three months after the June 2019 elimination of non-medical exemptions for required school vaccinations, according to a New York State Department of Health news release Wednesday.

Jeannette Breen, a licensed midwife who operated Baldwin Midwifery, supplied children with a series of homeopathic oral pellets instead of the required vaccinations, and then falsified their immunization records, the health department release said.

The pellets, touted as an alternative to vaccination, are “not authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) nor approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the Department” of Health as an immunization, according to the release.

Breen administered the pellets as a substitute for vaccines for diphtheria, hepatitis B, measles, mumps, polio, rubella and other diseases, officials said.

“Breen was found to have administered 12,449 fake immunizations to roughly 1,500 school-aged patients as pretext for submitting false information to the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS),” the release said.

Not covid but the general eroding away of safeguards is insane.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Woke up yesterday with a bit of a headache and sort throat, developed a runny nose as the day went on, sore throat getting worse but no cough, finally this morning around 4AM not sleeping due to being worried sick (ha!) I busted out the Aptitude Metrix tests and got a positive result. Had the box of tests out and was feeling pretty lovely about finally catching covid after this whole time so I took another one. Negative. Took another one, also negative. Took a rapid, got what could have been a shadow or a faint line, took another one, nothing. Loving the certainty.

I've had CR cubes running 24/7 in rooms with outside air intakes, N95/FFP2 masks on all the time every time I step outside, gotten every vax I could get, but it looks like I still got dinged somehow. Nothing jumps out as a hindsight 20/20 "he hosed up" moment, and I'm trying to not obsess over it.

I need to get some supplies so figure I would also try and get a PCR somewhere in NYC while I was out, but holy poo poo is it hard to find somewhere that still actually does them, and even then it appears to be entirely out of pocket.

I've got two boxes of Pax (thank you thread), so I'm probably starting it tonight. What was the general recommendation for taste/side effect management? Good/bad idea to try and manage my other symptoms with cough medicine/advil or whatever? And anything else to tell someone who's been doing their best to keep up with this thread over the years who might have missed something key recently? (severe depression mega sucks and taking thread breaks sometimes is self-care)

Also just want to say thank you to everyone in here for still being just about the best resource I've found for information and discussion and commiseration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you’re in NYC, call 212-COVID-19 for pax delivery, and they can probably also direct you to a PCR location if you want. I got a big bag of sugar-free cough drops (but it could be any candy) and popped those to deal with paxlovid mouth — for me it wasn’t noticeable when I was eating something else, only when I wasn’t, so it was really good to be able to roll over at 4 am and grab a cough drop to erase the taste. I don’t know if it’s best practice or not, but I also took NyQuil as needed at night. I also threw in aspirin regularly because I figured why not casually thin the blood a little for the clotting disease.