Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

On a bit of a down swing but still terrifying:

oh good, the giant iceberg is working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's supposed to be green

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

On a bit of a down swing but still terrifying:

crisis over!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Called it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Wait is that a different chart? gently caress

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Thats a long line to get traumatic brain injuries and break bones.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

You overlaid a Mercator with Small Mercator? :thunk: what does that prove?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

One of my favorite annoying autist things to do is point out to people when we're doing something mundane that hasn't existed for most of human history. We can very earnestly say that we live in unprecedented times. Everyone else did too but you got to admit cars and planes are still pretty crazy compared to the changes they had.

I like pointing out to people that in just roughly 5 years between 95 and 2000 we went from a network of small communities to a globally interconnected species. Add another few years on and fully replace just knowing what you know through being self taught or person to person teaching to having the entire sum of human knowledge in the palm of your hand

hosed up if you think about it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dokapon Findom posted:

You overlaid a Mercator with Small Mercator? :thunk: what does that prove?

??

how big do you think greenland is for example in miles north to south.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

His Purple Majesty posted:

The Apiary near me is about half the size it was since I last saw it a few months ago that's good right.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Apiaries will sometimes loan hives en masse to farmers to help in pollination efforts. Pollination management is one of the big sub-industries of beekeeping.

Although why that would be happening in January is worrisome!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

??

how big do you think greenland is for example in miles north to south.

Probably like 12, maybe a couple more. The projections just make it look bigger. "Oh no this island's ice caps are going to melt and raise the oceans twice as much as a broken ice machine would" lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's called Greenland how much ice could it have. Certainly less than Iceland, a land famously named after all the ice it's got

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Well I'm from Texas and the only thing I learned in school is ain't nothing biggur than texas.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Does anyone have any tips of books/resources of future projections of what is gonna happen in the next 30 years assuming the thread consensus of "we won't do poo poo about climate change"?

Most stuff I find is all about "by 2100..." which is probably a reason why people are so not bothered by climate doom.

A quote I've heard in real life many times is "yeah poo poo is gonna suck for future generations".

Bitch you're in your thirties, shits gonna suck FOR YOU, but also especially for future generations of course.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

White Rock posted:

A quote I've heard in real life many times is "yeah poo poo is gonna suck for future generations".

Love that optimism

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/global-coal-exports-power-generation-hit-new-highs-2023-2024-01-18/

:sax:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

White Rock posted:

Does anyone have any tips of books/resources of future projections of what is gonna happen in the next 30 years assuming the thread consensus of "we won't do poo poo about climate change"?

Most stuff I find is all about "by 2100..." which is probably a reason why people are so not bothered by climate doom.

Bitch you're in your thirties, shits gonna suck FOR YOU, but also especially for future generations of course.

We're all going to die

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you won't find any books written about something like that because, genuinely, the data and effects continue to get worse at a rate so much quicker than expected that any book is out of date before it's published.

read IPCC reports and know that the data they are based on is nearly ten years old and extremely conservative. subtract 50 years from any effect in the 4ºC range. that's the future.

e: as an example, the warming that's seen on all these graphs published the last couple months was 100% unexpected

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Jan 18, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

and remember poo poo like this is everywhere and totally unaccounted for

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

i mean

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speak for yourself. I'm not going to die, ever

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

I won't sorry

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

plastics are immortal

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

White Rock posted:

Tropic of Chaos is technically about the past, but it does an excellent job of illustrating the subtle pervasive marginal effects of climate collapse eroding society and driving violence and displacement. It focused on the most acutely affected latitudes at the time, but all you have to do is project the same basic patterns a few degrees north every year.

Ministry for the Future has been covered a loot in this thread, so i'll just say in short it covers the timeframe and explores some ideas.

also, not a book, but I found the Hell on Earth podcast's analysis of the of the 30 years war and the sortof slow incremental collapse of the hapsburg empire really helpful for contextualizing 'murica's near term disintegration.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Microplastics posted:

why do you think I'm absorbing all these microplastics

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

White Rock posted:

It's not quite what you're looking for, but here's a taste - an old post / book excerpt of mine for fun. Best read on desktop:

Hubbert posted:

Correct. The world beyond 2050 is unimaginable to the modern perspective.

For the short version, see the following article: Life Circa 2050 Will Be Bad. Really Bad.

For the long version, here's the entirety of Chapter 7: Climate Change in the Twenty-First Century as lifted directly from To Govern The Globe: World Orders & Catastrophic Change (Alfred W. McCoy).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
currently listening to "La sixième extinction de masse : Le génocide Anthropocène"
on plastic, ofc. You really get that warmth and sound quality from the degradation of all the particles grinding and getting thrown off into the atmosphere :smuggo:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

you know, i’m really glad the shareholders and execs are doing well out of this. there’s always a bright side to the doom coin

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I love how we barely think about what "shipping coal" really entails. How much oil does it take to dig up and move the coal? lol

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

Spoilers dude

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

White Rock posted:

I’ll tell you what’s going to happen — record profits, my friend!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I can’t post the graph because the graph site is down.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the end of graphs will come before the end, maybe sooner than you think!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

glad to be pushing 40 so I can experience the collapse as an old person and die quickly!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
well i for one am not going to die

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I can’t post the graph because the graph site is down.

they're updating the y-axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

HAIL eSATA-n posted: