Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I think this was actually my favourite run this event I was able to catch live. Featuring audience strats like "Does anyone know the answer to this riddle?"

it seriously had me in stitches, like obviously runners should come prepared and all but it was at just the right time of night to be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
The only runs (that I saw) I thought were actually really really bad were Diablo and Final Fantasy 15. Steelrising kinda sucked too it was a fine run but the game was so low effort all the runner had to do was dash jump over slightly high walls to break it wide open.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbf that's every from software and Zelda game too

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh yeah, that reminds me that the Dark Souls Remastered run is solid, too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

TeaJay posted:

please post your "must view" lists when you can.
My favorite runs list: Ultimate Doom, Typing of the Dead, 30XX, Whiplash, Gyromite, Bloodstained, Granny, Resident Evil 2, SM64, Mario Maker 2, Luminescent, Mario Kart 64, Lost Levels, FF5

Jose Valasquez posted:

The couch and a few of us in the FF speedrunning discord were spitballin' ideas to get past antlion. None of us knew about the HP refill bug until it happened lmao

Watching that run live was more stressful than any speedrun I've done
you da best

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

iPodschun posted:

you da best

none of my ideas worked lol

Woady came up with the sleep strat then they had to figure out why the gently caress it was healing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

none of my ideas worked lol

Woady came up with the sleep strat then they had to figure out why the gently caress it was healing

someone mentioned apollo 13 earlier and it really felt like that, just trying to stitch together an air filter out of bug lists and code oversights before zic choked on stage

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TheMopeSquad posted:

The only runs (that I saw) I thought were actually really really bad were Diablo and Final Fantasy 15. Steelrising kinda sucked too it was a fine run but the game was so low effort all the runner had to do was dash jump over slightly high walls to break it wide open.

I actually liked the Diablo 1 run, but I will say a lot of that was because I played a ton of Diablo 1 as a kid and really got a kick out of watching them dupe items and cheese stuff at level 1. The meme voices were pretty bleh though.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I forgot the Aragami and Octopath Traveler 2 runs! So much good stuff this year.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I was trying to remember why I immediately turned off the diablo run and oh yeah they had that loving anime tuturuuuu sound going off nonstop

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Hello friends I am exhausted and wired and aaaaaaaaa

Seriously loving melting over here, some of the new stuff we tried out this event that I was directly involved in (new schedule, checkpoints, youtube upload changes) made this one of the busiest events I've had in a very long time so I'm kinda glad I didn't have a run in on top of that. I would have been a complete wreck.

But it all worked out.

Edit: Just occurred to me that all three of the things I just mentioned are things that people keep calling out as things that were massive improvements over previous events. So that's neat.

flatluigi posted:

that does bring up a request i've always had: can the schedules be archived on the site in perpetuity, especially with direct links to the vods/runners? i'd love to use it to watch old marathons especially with youtube's ui getting worse and worse, and as far as i can tell the schedule on the gdq website gets wiped once the next schedule happens

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/runs/

It's the master list going back to at least 2013. I'm going to see what I can do about crowdsourcing some backfilling so that I can add Twitch/YouTube links to the especially old stuff. Some of it might have to be reprocessed from old archive.org copies so that YouTube doesn't murder the framerate. But that's a February problem, at the earliest.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 21, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

Seriously loving melting over here, some of the new stuff we tried out this event that I was directly involved in (new schedule, checkpoints, youtube upload changes) made this one of the busiest events I've had in a very long time so I'm kinda glad I didn't have a run in on top of that. I would have been a complete wreck.

But it all worked out.

sincere thanks to you and the rest of the crew that worked on the scheduling/tech, this was the smoothest and most consistently enjoyable GDQ by far. all that hard work paid off in a huge way in terms of event quality

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vermain posted:

that's a bold loving way to end the marathon but i'm glad as hell they did it

I don't know why I was surprised cos of what they do for MSF but this was a serious class act

and the chat immediately erupted into FREE PALESTINE lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seeing my name in the credits like five times was pretty wild

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
What a week, what a week. Thank you AGDQ!

Vermain posted:

this frankly deserves its own VOD on the youtube page imo

Absolutely! And with twitch chat included.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You know, this speed-run thing is pretty neat.

I think it might catch on?

UraniumAnchor posted:

But it all worked out.

Edit: Just occurred to me that all three of the things I just mentioned are things that people keep calling out as things that were massive improvements over previous events. So that's neat.

It's the master list going back to at least 2013. I'm going to see what I can do about crowdsourcing some backfilling so that I can add Twitch/YouTube links to the especially old stuff. Some of it might have to be reprocessed from old archive.org copies so that YouTube doesn't murder the framerate. But that's a February problem, at the earliest.
Less typing, more celebrating with a bottle of something good!

Only mostly kidding, but thank you to you and the entire team for not just putting on the show to the same standards, but raising the stakes and improving it each year.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, what a marathon! I couldn't watch everything I wanted due to work, would have been better if it was next week because I only work two days next week, but at least it wasn't last week, which is one of the four busiest work weeks in the year for me.

So it is time for the post-marathon catchup, and for that we need recommendations. I've started gathering what people posted beginning with the previous page of the thread, so keep 'em coming and I'll start by throwing them into the second post of the thread, and hopefully will sort them into a more proper list later.

Next up we've got Frost Fatales in March!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

UraniumAnchor posted:

But it all worked out.

I didn’t catch the finale because it started at 3am UK time, but I’ll nth all the praise you’re getting from the thread - this has been the smoothest, cleanest GDQ from a tech point of view for a very long time, probably ever. Get some rest and feel good about yourself.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, I stopped watching FFV before the antlion fight, sounds like I got some stuff to catch up on!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Dozed off a little before 11 eastern content with this smooth no issues at all FFV run to play me out. Woke up at 1am eastern to my tiny headphones absolutely exploding with hype and knew some poo poo went down for sure. Hot drat what a good marathon

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Starting off the day after the marathon with the traditional VOD of everything I missed while sleeping.

Starting with the no-damage run of RE2 so things are already popping off!!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I've watched the occasional speedrun but never followed a GDQ before and this was great! I really enjoyed watching it, congrats to everyone who posts in the thread involved with the organization and everything else.

I would probably not have watched the FF5 run at the end if I hadn't been following the thread and it was just insane, so thanks for that too

Googling "greatest gdq runs of all time" returns an impossible amount of results, so if anyone knows of a good list of goated runs from previous years, I'd love to see it! I've already been watching a few and it's great entertainment

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tosk posted:

Googling "greatest gdq runs of all time" returns an impossible amount of results, so if anyone knows of a good list of goated runs from previous years, I'd love to see it! I've already been watching a few and it's great entertainment
The front page of GDQ Vods is meant to be doing this, and if you check the old marathon threads (linked in the OP) many of them (that I've posted, at least) have recommendations in the second post (but not all of them because I can't be trusted), sourced from the thread. As GDQ VODs is run by a goon, the runs listed on the front page there are also based on GDQ thread recommendations, I believe.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

This was a good GDQ. Didn't get to watch as much as I wanted but I'll go back to it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ok, got through THAT section of the FF5 run. That was intense, but what’s the actual explanation for what happened? I get that the runner missed having Bartz learn Mix, and the section they were in before the antlion fight had no random encounters so he couldn’t go and learn it, and the antlion has a move of halve your characters levels which messed things up more. Is that the gist of it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ok, got through THAT section of the FF5 run. That was intense, but what’s the actual explanation for what happened? I get that the runner missed having Bartz learn Mix, and the section they were in before the antlion fight had no random encounters so he couldn’t go and learn it, and the antlion has a move of halve your characters levels which messed things up more. Is that the gist of it?

Also, there's a script in the remasters where some enemies would glitch out if they die while under sleep/a status effect. So, to prevent this, they automatically fully heal if they would die under those conditions. So, he also couldn't cheese it by putting it to sleep. So, eventually, he had to try to DPS it down while being massively underleveled and pray over the 6 or 7 turns it would take to kill it, it wouldn't aim its level reducing attack at the one character that needed to maintain her level to finish the game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's pretty much it, Zeninage does damage based on level and a single Discord put Krile's level too low to pierce the defenses. They countered this by putting antlion to sleep (which Zeninage luckily doesn't break) but then discovered that PR has a bug where if Antlion's HP hits 0 while asleep it just completely heals itself instead of dying because it's supposed to flee instead of die

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yep in the final run iirc he slept it, then dps to low hp, then did a basic attack to wake it up before the killing blow. The reason it took so long was having to figure out the method on the fly. Announcer did a great job with all the rapid dono reading to let them discuss without having to worry about all ears on them constantly

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Honestly the Antlion fight is a good example of why thar’s my favorite FF game: Even in a hyper-optimized run that went off the rails they found a way to win just because they happened to have sleep

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

Honestly the Antlion fight is a good example of why thar’s my favorite FF game: Even in a hyper-optimized run that went off the rails they found a way to win just because they happened to have sleep

its important to have a good sleep schedule

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Excellent GDQ, A++++, would watch Zic3 get stuck at Antlion again.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Jose Valasquez posted:

That's pretty much it, Zeninage does damage based on level and a single Discord put Krile's level too low to pierce the defenses. They countered this by putting antlion to sleep (which Zeninage luckily doesn't break) but then discovered that PR has a bug where if Antlion's HP hits 0 while asleep it just completely heals itself instead of dying because it's supposed to flee instead of die

So y’all discovered the bug live in front of everyone and came up with a workaround at the finale of gaming’s biggest marathon?

1. That’s some diffusing a bomb ‘clip the red wire’ poo poo
2. How did they find it out? It’s a unity game so uh, debugger tools for the scripting system so someone pulled up antlion’s script and was able to figure out the conditions for the HP refill bug?

E: “And here we’re facing Carbuncle - but he’s not the cute Carbuncle you might know.
He is mean.
And he is JACKED.”

:lol:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
didn't see it mentioned on the "good run roundup" posts so I wanted to mention Arkanoid. probably the standout run of the marathon for me even if it's just an example of Games Done Normally

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

But it all worked out.

Going to say it again. The hard work you and the rest of the support team did for this event was very noticeable and appreciated. Like it was almost night and day compared to the last one in terms of how smoothly everything operated.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm gonna recommend Majora's Mask, not just because it's my favorite hosting shift I've ever done, but because there was just so much great tech, four amazingly talented runners, and a blindfolded 4p1c final boss that was done so nonchalantly.

Thank you for watching. I'm so happy to be such a small part of a wonderful event. The behind the scenes stuff is so, so improved and I'm glad it showed through to the live experience.

We're so back.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

2. How did they find it out? It’s a unity game so uh, debugger tools for the scripting system so someone pulled up antlion’s script and was able to figure out the conditions for the HP refill bug?

The normal script and stats are known from previous releases, so it was known that it's got 8100 HP, it flees when it runs out of HP, and it doesn't normally have a heal. Since it was healing for exactly 8100 HP while asleep after 900x9 damage someone put 2 and 2 together and determined it was the death reaction script that was bugging out because it was asleep and recommended waking it with a normal weapon hit before the 9th Zeninage so the death script could run normally which is ultimately what worked

FFV's battle system has been disected pretty well because of Four Job Fiesta requiring creative strats

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh crap, and FFXV is good too if you like seeing a game broken wide open. Too many to remember from this year!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i hope peanut butter can do another run at sgdq

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i hope peanut butter can do another run at sgdq

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain