Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: Well yeah, I mean it's Plague Island, of course they're gonna plague.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-health-agency-warns-very-real-risk-measles-outbreak-spreads-2024-01-19/ posted:

UK health agency warns 'very real risk' measles outbreak spreads

Britain's public health agency warned on Friday that an outbreak of measles in central England could spread to other towns and cities unless urgent action is taken to boost vaccination uptake.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has declared a national incident, signalling a growing public health risk.

It said there had been 216 confirmed cases and 103 probable cases in the West Midlands since Oct. 1 last year, with the majority being in children aged under 10.

"With vaccine uptake in some communities so low, there is now a very real risk of seeing the virus spread in other towns and cities," UKHSA Chief Executive Jenny Harries said.

A report from the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in November said there had been a "staggering" annual rise in measles cases and deaths globally in 2022.

Measles is one of the most contagious viruses in the world but is preventable by two doses of vaccine. The COVID-19 pandemic massively disrupted routine immunization efforts worldwide, and the bounce back has been slow.

Harries said immediate action was needed to boost uptake of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine in areas where it was low.

"We need a long-term concerted effort to protect individuals and to prevent large measles outbreaks," she added.

In Britain, MMR is part of the routine childhood immunisation programme offered by the state-funded National Health Service. Last year, the UKHSA said in some areas and groups in London, coverage of the first MMR dose at 2 years of age was as low as 69.5%.

In July last year the UKHSA warned of a steady rise in measles cases and the risk of a resurgence of the virus, particularly in London where it said an outbreak of 40,000 to 160,000 cases could occur due to low vaccine coverage rates.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1748882394763960680?s=46

lol

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Pingui posted:

:britain: Well yeah, I mean it's Plague Island, of course they're gonna plague.

UK health agency warns 'very real risk' measles outbreak spreads

"This morning he had a fever of over 40 degrees and a full-body rash, but look at him now! Moments Matter, Attendance Counts."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/pleasebegneiss/status/1748548061096198217?s=46

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I think I know why it's called The Color Purple.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Gunshow Poophole posted:

One lady and her 2 year old in my row across the plane have been coughing nonstop for eleven hours. The 2 year old has basically been in respiratory distress when not zonked out on some sort of cold medicine. Holy poo poo.

well this is loving horrifying.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

well this is loving horrifying.

Actually it’s normal.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
If you don't want to sit in a plane near someone who's coughing nonstop, you're letting the virus win.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Unfortunately I can't read the whole thing, but off hand these results are a bit concerning. Yes, the effect seems better vs. BA.5 so the effect is nominally positive, but the why of that could be troublesome; the mentioned "attenuating immune imprinting" is not something that should be skirted over because the effect in this case happens to be positive.
"Immunogenicity and safety of concomitant bivalent COVID-19 and quadrivalent influenza vaccination: Implications of immune imprinting and interference"

https://www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(24)00030-2/fulltext posted:

Abstract
Objectives
Concomitant COVID-19 and influenza vaccination would be an efficient strategy. While the co-administration of monovalent COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations showed acceptable immunogenicity, it remains unknown whether the bivalent COVID-19 vaccine could intensify immune interference. We aimed to evaluate the immunogenicity and safety of concomitant BA.5-based bivalent COVID-19 and influenza vaccination.

Methods
An open-label, non-randomized clinical trial was conducted for 154 age- and sex-matched healthy adults between October and December 2022. Participants received either a concomitant bivalent COVID-19 mRNA booster and quadrivalent influenza vaccination (group C) or separate vaccinations (group S) at least four weeks apart. Solicited and unsolicited adverse events were reported up to 6 months post-vaccination. Immunogenicity was evaluated by anti-S IgG electrochemiluminescence immunoassay, focus reduction neutralization test and hemagglutination inhibition assay.

Results
Group C did not meet the non-inferiority criteria for the seroconversion rates of anti-S IgG and neutralizing antibodies against the wild-type SARS-CoV-2 strain compared to group S (44.2% versus 46.8%, difference of -2.6% [95% CI -18 to 13.4]; 44.2% versus 57.1%, difference of -13.0% [95% CI -28.9 to 2.9]). However, group C showed a stronger post-vaccination neutralizing antibody response against Omicron BA.5 (72.7% versus 64.9%). Post-vaccination geometric mean titers for SARS-CoV-2 and influenza strains were similar between groups, except for influenza B/Victoria [ed. I bothers me to not know if this means higher or lower]. Most adverse events were mild and comparable between the study groups.

Conclusions
Concomitant administration of bivalent COVID-19 mRNA and quadrivalent influenza vaccines showed tolerable safety profiles and sufficient immunogenicity, particularly attenuating immune imprinting induced by prior ancestral vaccine strains.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

CDC guidance is so confusing here

CDC says quarantine for at least 5 days (stay home; stay away from everyone) and isolate for 5 days after that (mask in public)

but everyone thinks isolate = quarantine, and I think California is saying cut quarantine to 1 day

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

fosborb posted:

CDC says quarantine for at least 5 days (stay home; stay away from everyone) and isolate for 5 days after that (mask in public)

but everyone thinks isolate = quarantine, and I think California is saying cut quarantine to 1 day

The confusion is the point. They want people to throw up their hands and just do the easy thing to lower truancy numbers and get butts back in seats while maintaining the ability to say ‘well we TOLD YOU how to do it safely using your own judgement look it’s right here in black and white, sorry your judgement is poo poo’ when it inevitably blows up into a major outbreak.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

I think if you don't grasp implied guidelines and squint real hard, you can kinda sorta get the California guidelines to mesh with the CDC guidelines.
CDC:

Source:https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html

CDPH:

Source: https://covid19.ca.gov/isolation/

Implicitly the CDC guidelines loops around from "not improving" to "improving", but if you read "improving" as the rule in itself (disregarding the implicit loop) it aligns with the CDPH.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
oh! it looks like quarantine isn't really in the CDC guidance anymore.... that's actually a lot clearer now. isolate means stay away and mask, which I think is a much more common sense definition.

limiting staying home to 1 day is insane. there are caveats there for "unless you're really sick!" but employers are only going to hear 1 day PTO

also, a lot of people are going to go in on day 2 and feel like poo poo by the end of the day

at least the guidance still says to mask for 10 days

fosborb has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Jan 21, 2024

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the cali 1 day iso thing is some seriously deranged poo poo especially at this moment, on some level ppl are aware that no you cant just pretend all the disease away and they are not coping well

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Heads up for US folks: CVS claims that it has novavax at all locations, and I was able to get a shot there after Costco denied my insurance. CVS also didn't want to cover novavax specifically, but the clerk just rang it up as Pfizer and apparently that settled it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

also, a lot of people are going to go in on day 2 and feel like poo poo by the end of the day
And get their coworkers sick, and customers if their job is client-facing.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Oracle posted:

The confusion is the point. They want people to throw up their hands and just do the easy thing to lower truancy numbers and get butts back in seats while maintaining the ability to say ‘well we TOLD YOU how to do it safely using your own judgement look it’s right here in black and white, sorry your judgement is poo poo’ when it inevitably blows up into a major outbreak.

when these outbreak hit they don’t even bother with I told you sos they’ll just continue to ignore it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fosborb posted:

for most people, the words “mask”and “isolate” and “quarantine” are the same word, so when they hear “isolate for one day” their brains will translate it as “mask/quarantine for one day”

nobody will ever communicate the “mask for 10 days” part of the guidance

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it sounded and reads more like him going "chill dude" than him being misogynistic.

If anyone cares about the drama, here is Leonardi essentially saying the above is what happened:
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1749060022011580767

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gunshow Poophole posted:

One lady and her 2 year old in my row across the plane have been coughing nonstop for eleven hours. The 2 year old has basically been in respiratory distress when not zonked out on some sort of cold medicine. Holy poo poo.

rip to every other loving person on the plane. I might have a chance with mask, spray and a two week old moth juice.

We even had a stereotypical PA call for a doctor.

I've been awake for 28 hours.

Can't imagine doing transcontinental flights now, jesus.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rochallor posted:

I think I know why it's called The Color Purple.

Where is this from? It's not all green with a few pastel orange spots so it must not be the CDC.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Have we been fortunate enough to hear AJ's take on Hamas yet?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

fosborb posted:

no one will be masking lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

RandomBlue posted:

Where is this from? It's not all green with a few pastel orange spots so it must not be the CDC.

they revised the numbers because everything everywhere was way above the extreme risk zone

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RandomBlue posted:

It's from 2021 I think, before they switched to soothing colors, I just googled "covid wastewater map."

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it sounded and reads more like him going "chill dude" than him being misogynistic.

Yeah, to me it very clearly reads as "hey, don't succumb to infighting, disruptors have effectively used this exact tactic in the past, here's an example, be aware of it, don't let it distract from the fight at hand and ruin class consciousness." AJ has been on the right side of this the whole time, he's one of the good ones. He's been fighting on behalf of the marginalized.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

the best part about this is even if you want to follow the official "do your own risk assessment" public health directive you can't. i know that the real meaning behind that is "go gently caress yourself", or if i'm feeling particularly generous, "use your gut feeling", but if you actually do want to try to crunch the numbers and have the necessary knowledge to do it, you don't have the data to do that in any meaningful sense. for me, local covid data is only updated once a week and is always a week behind, which already makes it pretty useless. and even if it were live, good luck converting wastewater data, hospitalization data, variant infectiousness estimates, personal health factors and so on into a probability of getting infected during a given activity

i know it's deliberate but it's one more case of people eagerly lapping up obvious bullshit because it lets them do whatever it is they already wanted to do and it's been one of the most infuriating part of this whole shitshow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
lol even the rich and powerful aren’t able to keep themselves from getting Covid

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1749113573924626458?s=46

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
How shocking! I don't care what other protections are in place, taking off your mask in any situation right now is just asking for COVID.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
man, i hope it doesn't turn out that davos was a superspreader event. if all those vips get sick at the same time, what would we do without their leadership?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's eventually going to turn out that the company installing far-UV at Davos saved a couple bucks by just using purple LEDs.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

man, i hope it doesn't turn out that davos was a superspreader event. if all those vips get sick at the same time, what would we do without their leadership?

We can dream but all those fuckers have the 24/7 on-call docs with the IV-pax.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Jan 21, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

RealityWarCriminal posted:

no one will be masking lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rochallor posted:

It's eventually going to turn out that the company installing far-UV at Davos saved a couple bucks by just using purple LEDs.
Too bad they didn't use the UV lights from the recent ApeFest

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

If anyone cares about the drama, here is Leonardi essentially saying the above is what happened:
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1749060022011580767

“My mom was yelling at me, and Twitter Spaces are confusing.”

It’s so banal that it has to be true.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

“My mom was yelling at me, and Twitter Spaces are confusing.”

It’s so banal that it has to be true.

Whom among us...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

A piece concerning the current state of determining why women are so much more likely to get long COVID and some of the more specific issues cropping up (in full, as it is pretty good considering the state of things and it is Saturday):
"Why Are Women More Likely to Get Long COVID?"

Archived link: https://archive.vn/4k6Pn

great article, quoting so I can find it later

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I too ate bread