Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Also loads of people refused to use confuse powers because it would slightly reduce the XP you got.
It was so marginal and confused is a good status, so idk.

It's also stupid because the lower xp/mob is more than made up for by the fact that you finish fights and missions faster, increasing xp/time. At least, that's how it was back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

Also loads of people refused to use confuse powers because it would slightly reduce the XP you got.
It was so marginal and confused is a good status, so idk.

The XP reduction itself is tiny; if you throw an AoE confuse before your team hops in you'll lose maybe 5% of the XP at most. The problem is the pubbies whining about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Twibbit posted:

What happened to mass confuse? Used to be a good tool for me back on live

it's a 4 minute recharge power that hits 16 targets vs, yes, seeds of confusion that has the same target cap, same magnitude, easier to apply area and 60 second recharge, it's just a relic of that F2P vs paid content phase when clearly better poo poo was gated behind paying to unlock it. also the concept of "flashy high tier power with long recharge that you can just skip because it doesn't have much impact" has evolved a lot, cf. nukes having their recharge times dropped across the board.

Gynovore posted:

The XP reduction itself is tiny; if you throw an AoE confuse before your team hops in you'll lose maybe 5% of the XP at most. The problem is the pubbies whining about it.

people have done excessive amounts of metrics and math showing that it's a substantial BUFF to xp / time unless your team just stops and watches stuff die, even way back in live days

e: Oh wow, they're dropping Mass Confuse's recharge to 2 minutes, that's great! no, I had slotted it oops

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 21, 2024

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Plant was available at CoV’s launch in 06 and Seeds was never changed, it had nothing to do with f2p vs paid or anything like that. The devs were just inconsistent and kinda bad at that whole ‘balancing’ thing.

It wasn’t just the old devs, either. Same powers guy made Kinetic Melee and Titan Weapons. At the time, both were paid sets and one was incredible dogshit and one was broken as hell. Balanced!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Delighted to report that if you are flying, Telekinesis will pick up an entire spawn and carry it with you into the sky :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Has anyone tried it in pvp...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Delighted to report that if you are flying, Telekinesis will pick up an entire spawn and carry it with you into the sky :allears:

drop the AV from the top of the map

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Fall damage is unresistable. New meta unlocked????

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah Mass Confuse's numbers being screwy is just down to it being an old neglected launch era set. I mean, reminder that originally Telekinesis was, IIRC, a single target power that granted a teammate flight for some reason? Possibly because it was one of the OG pre-archetype alpha powers they had originally hashed out. Before quickly being retooled into the weird, poorly understood toggle hold/levitate CC power it's better known as. The set also had Levitate from the start despite Controllers doing damage not being a thing yet. And of course, Terrify's fear being an actual "makes enemies run away in fear" power. Aaaand Sleep being infamously difficult to make work, especially as the pace of the game sped way up.

Plus the incredibly exciting and unique power progression of ST mez -> targeted AoE mez three times. :geno:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flesh Forge posted:

people have done excessive amounts of metrics and math showing that it's a substantial BUFF to xp / time unless your team just stops and watches stuff die, even way back in live days

I still remember pubbies on live whining about how Seeds of Confusion was "nerfing are XP!!!" even while at level 20something we were chewing through huge spawns and not dying ever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pubbies also think you need to be fighting +4s at all times in order to the get the best XP, completely not understanding the "per second" half of the equation.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Gun control. :v:

Also, as if on cue, the heart sunglasses are available to men now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Pubbies also think you need to be fighting +4s at all times in order to the get the best XP, completely not understanding the "per second" half of the equation.

that's the thing, the xp buff from confusion is just better at +4 because of the purple patch :shrug:

Waffle Shake posted:

Gun control. :v:

Also, as if on cue, the heart sunglasses are available to men now.

nice!

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Nonexistence posted:

Also it's a T9 that plant gets basically a better version of by like lvl 12

Seeds of Confusion on a dom with domination active is just ridiculously awesome.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Plus the incredibly exciting and unique power progression of ST mez -> targeted AoE mez three times. :geno:

This is exactly what I like about Mind. Stackable controls are useful.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Seeds of Confusion is fun, anyone who isn't playing the game to have fun is nobody I want to play the game with. (Don't argue that grinding XP as fast as you can is fun either, that's just some weird messed up brain thing.)

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s dumb that the best mind control power isn’t in the set about mind control and instead involves throwing green powder at people

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

When I first started (after the launch of COV, but before they raised the level cap from 40 to 50 for Heroes), I HATED XP Debt, and complained about it a lot. As you can guess, when I discovered Confuse eats XP, I was against it, too.

By the time the game shut down, I saw Confusion as just another tool in my kit.

And as for XP Debt? I'm bad at video games, and die a lot, so my catch phrase every time I died was, "It's OK! I'm powered by Debt!™". Sometimes, I'd intentionally go into areas that would 1 shot me just to max out Debt.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just reading Seeds of Confusion and Dominator made me immediately hear: "LET'S GET READY TO RUUUMMMMMBLLLLLLEEEE!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kheldarn posted:

When I first started (after the launch of COV, but before they raised the level cap from 40 to 50 for Heroes)

You first started playing in a temporal paradox? :v:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Seeds of Confusion on a dom with domination active is just ridiculously awesome.

Even more fun is when you hit 50 and slot in the purple set, which has the Contagious Confusion proc. Whenever it hits a target, it has a chance to proc a mag 2 confuse on all nearby mobs. If you put this into an AoE, it procs for each target hit, and it stacks with the original confuse and also with itself. Which means that at 50 when you fire Seeds of Confusion into a group, you are absolutely guaranteed to mez every last mob up to and including EBs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really baffling how they've just left mass confusion as is for all this time, a while back I tried to make a case for it on the HC forums and got dogpiled by grogs who said it would be too OP for the already OP mind control set :confused:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Mind Control is OP as gently caress, I'm just level 1 and I have hypnotized so many sub demonkin-dragon girlfriends in my RP supergroup. Just imagine how broken it could be if we could log in at the same time

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

really baffling how they've just left mass confusion as is for all this time, a while back I tried to make a case for it on the HC forums and got dogpiled by grogs who said it would be too OP for the already OP mind control set :confused:

CoH has such a vast delta in terms of what you're going to experience when you play the game, and for whatever reason the forums really seem to over represent the more bizarre ones while speedrunners are usually off on private Discords. It never occurred to me before I started reading those forums that people would meticulously stack stuns on a Blaster, or sleep big groups and pick off enemies one by one while playing solo, presumably finishing a single mission in the span of 16 hours. My favorite to this day is someone describing Sentinel /regen as "OP" because they went AFK for 30 minutes and didn't die from 2 lieutenants.

So it's all, uh. Very contextual.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That also makes it extremely difficult to find good builds, because a lot of the "Completed build" guides on the forums that cost 1+ billion to put together and look meticulously min/maxed are just... really, really bad.

I'll always remember pulling apart my half-assed but highly efficient shield/axe tank build to follow an expensive guide with multiple HOs/D-Syncs I found on the forums and ending up with something that not only didn't have capped defenses but did far less damage than my half-assed build did and had severe End issues. It was full of things like loading up attacks with procs but then sticking in 2-3 recharge enhancements to chase some useless set bonus and tanking the power's PPM in the meantime. And I didn't back up my build first so I just gave up on the character instead of figuring it all out again.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 23, 2024

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
This is why the answer to 'what's the best powerset combination for (x)' is 95% of the time 'whatever you decide to put time and effort into working on and playing'.

quote:

The late Donald Lopez - a veteran of the 75th in World War II - once wrote that a pilot assigned to fly a manhole cover would stand up before long and say nothing ever flew better, and he was absolutely right.

Time Powersets in City of Heroes work the same way.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

deep dish peat moss posted:

but then sticking in 2-3 recharge enhancements to chase some useless set bonus and tanking the power's PPM in the meantime.

help me out here - why was this bad for your PPM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Slotting recharge reduction in a power that has procs in it reduces the chance of those procs triggering when the ability is used. In theory this wouldn't affect their procs per minute because you're using the power more often, but global recharge rate buffs (e.g. Hasten or the LOTG global recharge, or set bonuses that provide recharge reduction) do not reduce the proc rate. By not slotting the recharge reduction into the power itself you maintain a higher chance for the procs to trigger while still being able to hit 150%+ recharge reduction through global sources.

I don't know how much it matters for powers with a single proc, or powers with lower proc rates or faster cooldowns in the first place, but e.g. with Shield Charge or Savage Leap you can stick 6 procs in and have all 6 fire off almost every time you use the power, while still getting significant enough cooldown reduction in it through global sources to use it regularly, and they become massive nukes.

With something like Shield Charge that has a long (90s) base recharge it will never be fast enough to hit the theoretical 3.5-4.5 PPM that damage procs have so reducing the proc chance below 90% just weakens it and leads to lower PPM from that power, no matter how much faster the cooldown is, because it's not bound by PPM in the first place.

So Shield Charge with 6 procs is much stronger than Shield Charge with 4 procs and 2 recharge enhancements - not only does the latter have fewer procs, but they stop firing off every time you use the power while only marginally affecting the actual recharge time after diminishing returns against your global recharge reduction.

But either way my point was that the build suggested recharge set pieces instead of the ones that don't have recharge on them :argh: if you're not going to 6-proc a proc-heavy attack at least use damage/acc/end IOs as the non-proc pieces to reach your set bonus, so that you don't reduce the proc rate!!

(Plus recharge reduction on attacks isn't that valuable unless it's hitting a breakpoint that alters your attack chain, which is unlikely on an attack you only use once per engagement anyway)

None of this actually matters because this game is easy but I like to maximize my damage damnit

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 23, 2024

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

people would meticulously stack stuns on a Blaster, or sleep big groups and pick off enemies one by one while playing solo

I am one of these people.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

sneaking into your house to respec your characters into fireball and putting it on auto cast

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a good beginners guide to enhancements? Not the fancy set stuff but basic IOs and what you should be slotting in your various powers? (like accuracy, definitely take accuracy on attacks while leveling…)

For now I just sold a couple pieces of rare (orange, right?) salvage for a few hundred thousand and have fitted myself with some basic level 15 IOS (not quite as effective as SOs at this level so I might be hurting myself but it needing to worry about replacement is nice) I figure I’ll cruise on those until level ~30ish then replace them with 30-35 IOS until 50. Mostly been running 2-3 damage, 2-3 accuracy, and maybe an endurance reducer in my bigger attack powers so far.

All of this is going off vague 15 year memories and tbh I never played much, I can’t remember if I ever even got a hero to level 50 in live. :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's hard to go wrong with 3 damage in a damage power. 3 acc is probably a little bit overkill and you'd get more out of 2 acc + a single recharge time or endurance reduction instead

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I usually got Acc+End+Recharge+3 Damage, until I move on to Set IOs anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yup. This is my go-to when leveling.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

This is a solid setup, yeah. End redux can be pretty important on most characters. People underestimate how much endurance an attack chain soaks up.

lvl 25 is also the sweet spot for generic IOs to keep them the whole way through leveling, and depending on your needs I'd say to pick up a few unique IOs to plug some holes if you can afford them.

Performance Shifter Chance for +End
Miracle +Recovery
Kismet +6% tohit
Panacea Chance for +HP/End
Gladiator's Armor +3% def
Steadfast Protection +3% def

Also when you're buying set IOs of any kind, you can set the AH to search for level 1 to 1 so that it only shows attuned enhancements, which will scale fully with you when you're exemping on a lowbie team. It has no impact on these unique IOs I just listed, but it lets you slot set enhancements as soon as you hit their level range and keep full value. The only ones you want to wait to max to use the real level 50 versions for are PvP and Purple sets, which don't turn off when exemping -- you can use boosters on those instead to squeeze out some more numbers.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
One of my best characters back on live was a brute I had "franken-slotted" to have ~3 SO enhancement's worth of damage, accuracy, end reduction, and recharge in every attack. It was certainly effective for a relatively cheap build, but turning it into something more focused on set bonuses required an entire respec and I never cared that much to do it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

This is a solid setup, yeah. End redux can be pretty important on most characters. People underestimate how much endurance an attack chain soaks up.

lvl 25 is also the sweet spot for generic IOs to keep them the whole way through leveling, and depending on your needs I'd say to pick up a few unique IOs to plug some holes if you can afford them.

Performance Shifter Chance for +End
Miracle +Recovery
Kismet +6% tohit
Panacea Chance for +HP/End
Gladiator's Armor +3% def
Steadfast Protection +3% def

Also when you're buying set IOs of any kind, you can set the AH to search for level 1 to 1 so that it only shows attuned enhancements, which will scale fully with you when you're exemping on a lowbie team. It has no impact on these unique IOs I just listed, but it lets you slot set enhancements as soon as you hit their level range and keep full value. The only ones you want to wait to max to use the real level 50 versions for are PvP and Purple sets, which don't turn off when exemping -- you can use boosters on those instead to squeeze out some more numbers.

Homecoming added a filter for the attuned IOs directly, which is nice. And the inventory is merged, the supply of Attuned IOs is the same as the supply for non-attuned.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hhhholy poo poo, Imperious Task Force on 1 star difficulty does not gently caress around. Full team of level 50s with tier 3-4 incarnate powers, and we took 2 hours and died over 100 times.

I wonder what 3 or 4 stars looks like?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I'm having my seasonal want to jump back into an mmo feelings, but none of my usual games are calling to me. I also happened to get back in contact with a college friend recently who was excited to gush about how fun the Homecoming server for this is. I'd heard about the whole 'people secretly kept this game alive' thing but had never actually looked into that seriously. But at their recommendation I downloaded it last night and gave it a shot.

I'm sure I'll wander back in here with some obnoxious newbie questions eventually, but I enjoy the flailing cluelessly and trying to figure systems out part of playing old rpgs. So for now I'm just poking my head in to say I'd forgotten how extremely good of a fit for an mmo the superhero genre is, and how much fun this game is to just run around hopping on rooftops. I'm getting way more nostalgic joy out of it than I ever thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Fajita Queen posted:

I still have my City of Heroes TCG cards, I wonder if there's any kind of playerbase left for that anywhere...

I still have an unopened set of City of Heroes exclusive Heroclix figurines, no idea if they are worth anything or not though.