Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
lmao we have four staff members. One is sick and one on holiday. The company will not hire help. 11.50 an hour. I'm sure the customers will all be kind and understanding! fuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

What the gently caress is a disengaged battler

From the looks of it, it's someone who has said they're not voting because Starmer is a Tory oval office.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Who's looking forward to Storm Jocelyn tomorrow evening?

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
To me the bleak thing about Keith smacking all those Enid Blyton-tier namedrops about queen (strange to name drop a dead person instead of the charity's current patron I'd imagine) country and ~are noble institutions~ is that doing so probably does make a few reptile brains blink and ping like a pinball machine in a vaguely receptive way. The British are a simple species

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tigey posted:

That's speculation. Unless you have access to their internal financial processes?

Our health charity processes same day emergency grants to people in financial distress. An organisation certainly can take steps to prioritise financial transfers to people in need... If they give a poo poo.

I didn't suggest this was some moustache twirling decision to starve the proles/earn pennies of interest on the money for a few days more, I just said that they were holding onto it for a rather long time - long enough to potentially have an adverse financial impact on people living on the margin (January is often one of the toughest months for many).

Not taking any special effort to mitigate the impact of their technical cockup on people hardest hit counts as 'holding onto it' IMO.

Its not up to Tesco how long they hold onto the money for. If as has been reported they've had a systems outage and the transactions have been cancelled its entirely in the hands of the card payment system they use. Tesco more than likely operate an automated order process so if the orders get cancelled it sends an automated request to their merchant service to refund that transaction. Depending on what system it is, and what stage the payment was in when the cancellation request went through it can take anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days. If a transaction gets lost it can take up to a month for the banks to sort it out between themselves as well.

If your order was placed on Friday evening and cancelled Saturday morning the funds will probably be back in your account already. The money wont have left your account and will be in that 'pending' state. The card system has put a temporary hold on it until the card payment system confirms the transaction and then it comes across. If it gets cancelled now your bank will just release the funds back into the available pot straight away. Again depending on what payment system they use this could be fine for orders placed up to Wednesday afternoon. Worldpay only process transactions 48-72 hours after they've been placed for example. I would think this would account for most of the orders.

Orders before Wednesday will have had the funds transferred, this is where it can take 3-5 days to come back over.

From Tescos point of view they will have already returned the customers money, and for the majority never would have had it themselves to give back. They could give out some vouchers as an apology for the inconvenience but im not sure what they could do to identify and help anyone in dire need quicker than the money will get returned to their account anyway?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

What the gently caress is a disengaged battler

Yer aul wan's a disengaged battler

fuctifino posted:

Who's looking forward to Storm Jocelyn tomorrow evening?

I've been stuck in Gatwick since yesterday afternoon so I'd rather get home and past Isha first and then I can start my Stormy Joss prep.

Also, the crab museum is cool and they have good merch

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

BalloonFish posted:

I did read the article. I quoted from it.

I stand by my interpretation that it's, at least, very strange for Starmer to think that the RNLI has some organisational solution to the Small Boats up its oilskin sleeve if only the government was willing to listen to them.

As Guavanaut said, the only possible solution the RNLI could have, given its resources, remit, abilities and legal status (remember it's a civilian charity, not even an emergency service), is monitoring safe crossing routes. Which certainly is a solution but I would bet money on it not being one Starmer is remotely interested in implementing or publicly voicing.

So what else does Starmer think a Labour government and the RNLI could work towards? It makes no sense. It would be like suggesting the Royal British Legion could sort out the war in Ukraine if only the government would work with them.

The RNLI absolutely should not be made a target or scapegoat for just saving people from drowning (same as when the RN got called in and then had some of its people spat on because the good people of Kent were upset that the navy was also just fulfilling its obligations to rescue people rather than turning the machine guns on them). But Starmer didn't say that. He said the RNLI could help with solutions and I an at a loss as to what those are that would fulfill the political need to Stop The Boats.

It's either empty posturing, stringing together words and phrases into the perfecr triangulated statement (Work Together/The Queen/Real Solutions/RNLI/Stop The Boats/Get On With It) or he has a solution in mind that's stupid - probably involving installing ChatGPT on lifeboats.

If you didn't call anyone an idiot then I wasn't particularly having a pop at you personally.

But it's clear from the article that the context of this speech he's apparently making, is that it's being given to some civil society meeting, which seems to mean charitable organisations.

He's not there to give his ideas on how to solve the small boats, but to criticise the Tories for damaging the reputations and operations of charities like the rnli with their war on woke nonsense.

But it seems pretty obvious that if there is a solution to small boats it's not going to be 100% effective, and it's still going to be necessary for the rnli to occasionally rescue the odd boat. So it would be nice if their ability to do so was not degraded by demonising them, instead involving and acknowledging their valuable contribution to the overall process.

It's not that complicated, like he's got some super intricate plan that sees the rnli solve everything. I mean the article also says that rnli have been funding anti drowning charities abroad which could be part of a wider strategy too, rather than fuel to criticise them.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

feedmegin posted:

What, like, clerics? Can they cast whatever level spell it is to calm storms?

Of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blackpool first impressions the room im in has yellow walls, drop ceiling, and recently flooded carpet so I think a small section of the backrooms has appeared. An improvement on Middlesbrough so far

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Blackpool is a place where a lot of punks (mostly old) congregate occasionally to get drunk and fight each other. Key locations include the Winter Gardens (where all the punk happens), the railway station, and a small club near the railway station where you can go when your train is cancelled.

I don't think there's anything else there. Maybe a tram? idk

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I quite like Blackpool. I've always had a nice experience there and the Zoo is great. :iiam:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I saw some wrestling there but it was out of season so everything was closed and rather grim

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I just find the seaside to be good for my mental health. Maybe I just need to find somewhere nicer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Punk pensioner pugilism sounds like a pretty good selling point tbh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In exceedingly grim news, it seems Greater Manchester Police are still as bad as ever at child protection.

quote:

A whistleblower who resigned from Greater Manchester Police has told Sky News the force's child protection investigation unit where she worked is "not fit for purpose" and that failures have left a paedophile ring at large for at least seven years.

In her resignation letter last year, she said: "I don't feel like we're making things better for these kids. In fact, I think we're making it worse."

She also said that her work with the victims only served to "re-traumatise them" and "leave them hanging".

Assigned a major operation into child sex offenders in Manchester in 2022, the detective constable we are calling "Lucy" says failures could have allowed the continuation of what she says "professionals have called some of the worst abuse they've ever seen".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

AceClown posted:

exactly the same, instant, paid off my mortgage early this year and managed to transfer a 5 figure sum instantly

ahh yes because technology that is available to the general public is denied to major corporations, totally normal stance

not a transfer of a few thousand, a few thousand individual transfers, because, you know, we’re talking about all the individual people who had their shopping orders cancelled

and it turns out that Mr Tesco can’t just log onto his personal internet banking and start making transfers the way you or I can

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Seriously though, seeing someone post that it sucks a supermarket can take your money for a shop, cancel the order and take time to refund you in a time of financial precarity and collapse of the remains of the welfare state and deciding what we need is a rather fanatical defence of a company with a net income of £1.5bn, that's some hardcore bootlicking

I agree it sucks

what I don’t agree with is that there’s some way of making it immediately not suck that Tesco are just not doing for reasons

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Yes, we can all predict what we need a week in advance.

I would absolutely blame them if I go out of my way to be available for one of their early slots and they just...don't show up. That's their fault. What the hell, do you have stock in Tesco or something?

a lot of the time those are your only options, you order early or you’re stuck with whatever gaps there are left

absolutely blame Tesco for having dodgy code which caused all this mess, don’t blame them for you having to get up “extra early” because there are ways to not do that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

a lot of the time those are your only options, you order early or you’re stuck with whatever gaps there are left

absolutely blame Tesco for having dodgy code which caused all this mess, don’t blame them for you having to get up “extra early” because there are ways to not do that

Just give up.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

UKMT Interval 2023/24 - Just give up.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

lmao we have four staff members. One is sick and one on holiday. The company will not hire help. 11.50 an hour. I'm sure the customers will all be kind and understanding! fuuuck

Sounds quite stressful, are you sure you’re not also feeling unwell and need a few days off?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm more put off by the claim that 8am is getting up extra early

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dadrips posted:

To me the bleak thing about Keith smacking all those Enid Blyton-tier namedrops about queen (strange to name drop a dead person instead of the charity's current patron I'd imagine) country and ~are noble institutions~ is that doing so probably does make a few reptile brains blink and ping like a pinball machine in a vaguely receptive way. The British are a simple species

BalloonFish posted:

The RNLI absolutely should not be made a target or scapegoat for just saving people from drowning (same as when the RN got called in and then had some of its people spat on because the good people of Kent were upset that the navy was also just fulfilling its obligations to rescue people rather than turning the machine guns on them). But Starmer didn't say that. He said the RNLI could help with solutions and I an at a loss as to what those are that would fulfill the political need to Stop The Boats.

It's either empty posturing, stringing together words and phrases into the perfecr triangulated statement (Work Together/The Queen/Real Solutions/RNLI/Stop The Boats/Get On With It) or he has a solution in mind that's stupid - probably involving installing ChatGPT on lifeboats.
It could have worked as a clever wedge between the "stop the boats, bomb them, I don't care" Tories and the "love our boats and tradition, thugs who spit on lifeboatmen should be flogged in public" Tories, especially in places like Cromer and Great Yarmouth where people love Lifeboat Day and cultural attachment to images of weathered old men in cork vests performing feats of incredible heroism.

Instead it's a lot of words about how boats are things that float on water. Perhaps, I may u-turn on that later.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BalloonFish posted:

I did read the article. I quoted from it.

I stand by my interpretation that it's, at least, very strange for Starmer to think that the RNLI has some organisational solution to the Small Boats up its oilskin sleeve if only the government was willing to listen to them.

As Guavanaut said, the only possible solution the RNLI could have, given its resources, remit, abilities and legal status (remember it's a civilian charity, not even an emergency service), is monitoring safe crossing routes. Which certainly is a solution but I would bet money on it not being one Starmer is remotely interested in implementing or publicly voicing.

So what else does Starmer think a Labour government and the RNLI could work towards? It makes no sense. It would be like suggesting the Royal British Legion could sort out the war in Ukraine if only the government would work with them.

It's purely and simply because The Media have decided that What To Do With Small Boats is An Important Electoral Issue. (And as a sidelight it's absolutely loving fascinating that the phrase Small Boats used to mean :britain: "bravery against all odds", "everyone doing their bit", "the innate heroism of the everyday Brit" :britain: but apparently all these gammon arseholes instantly forgot about loving Dunkirk once the Mail gave them a jolt with the immigrant dial...).

Therefore to be Electable keef has to have A Plan For Small Boats and it's not allowed to be "they are not the loving problem you think they are knock this crap off".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

From the looks of it, it's someone who has said they're not voting because Starmer is a Tory oval office.

Ah, that would be me then. Sorry if I confused anyone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Skarsnik posted:

It is if you work late :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wasn't it a sunday? i don't think i can verify first-hand that there is an 8am on sundays

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Anything before 5:30am is early for me, 8am is sweet respite. :lol:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I agree it sucks

what I don’t agree with is that there’s some way of making it immediately not suck that Tesco are just not doing for reasons

I think the reasons are that they never bothered to spend the money to have a contingency process in place in case of something like this happening. It’s cost/benefit as usual, and the benefit of not pissing off a load of your customers clearly wasn’t worth the cost in time and money to ensure that refunds could be processed quickly when something fucks up on a large scale.

Tesco chose not to put that process in place. It is not, however, a metaphysical impossibility for many refunds to be processed quickly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

As it's Keith I assume his thinking is "The RNLI has boats, the government has M2 machine guns, this solves itself".
'In the name of balance we will be setting up a Royal National Deathboat Institute.'

Julio Cruz posted:

not a transfer of a few thousand, a few thousand individual transfers, because, you know, we’re talking about all the individual people who had their shopping orders cancelled

and it turns out that Mr Tesco can’t just log onto his personal internet banking and start making transfers the way you or I can
You do understand that people are saying why this is a bad thing, not asking how/why it happened, don't you?

Regardless of the banking mechanisms involved, this situation arose because Tesco cancelled an order and left a dude without the food they were expecting and the money they spent on it. Going 'ah no, you see here is how a bank works' doesn't help anyone.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I think the reasons are that they never bothered to spend the money to have a contingency process in place in case of something like this happening. It’s cost/benefit as usual, and the benefit of not pissing off a load of your customers clearly wasn’t worth the cost in time and money to ensure that refunds could be processed quickly when something fucks up on a large scale.

Tesco chose not to put that process in place. It is not, however, a metaphysical impossibility for many refunds to be processed quickly.

I agree with all of this. It sucks, I agree it sucks, I agree that capitalism has incentivised Tesco to do what’s best for their bottom line rather than their customers

none of that changes the fact that, in the sucky world we live in right now, the processes for refunds to take place are slow and Tesco cannot do anything to expedite them

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

crispix posted:

wasn't it a sunday? i don't think i can verify first-hand that there is an 8am on sundays

motd from the night before is on repeat

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You do understand that people are saying why this is a bad thing, not asking how/why it happened, don't you?

Regardless of the banking mechanisms involved, this situation arose because Tesco cancelled an order and left a dude without the food they were expecting and the money they spent on it. Going 'ah no, you see here is how a bank works' doesn't help anyone.

I’m aware it’s a bad thing, I’ve said so several times, but bad things do occasionally happen

my point is that people saying “Tesco should do X or Y” don’t seem to understand that there is no process involving X or Y that currently exists

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's such a weird hill to die on imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Julio Cruz posted:

There are easy ways round this though, and Tesco could and would implement workarounds if they were forced to. One simple solution would be to charge the customer only the delivery fee up front, then have the rest of the money taken once it's successfully dropped off. I don't see why that couldn't be automated, but at a push you could just give the delivery people a remote card reader and have them process the payment on site before they unload the van.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

There are easy ways round this though, and Tesco could and would implement workarounds if they were forced to. One simple solution would be to charge the customer only the delivery fee up front, then have the rest of the money taken once it's successfully dropped off. I don't see why that couldn't be automated, but at a push you could just give the delivery people a remote card reader and have them process the payment on site before they unload the van.

what happens when the card reader breaks, or the battery dies, or it can’t connect because it’s in a coverage blackspot

as someone who works in deliveries for a (non-Tesco) supermarket I’m really not comfortable with putting drivers in that sort of situation where they’re likely to get, at minimum, yelled at

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 22, 2024

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

That's what we do here in socialist bicyclist paradise. The total isn't even known until they deliver, because we hand back crates/empty bottles, and minus anything missing (they don't seem to even attempt substitutions here).

But we also don't have a method of charging somebody's card in absentia as a "pull" type thing anyway. So that's probably also why.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Julio Cruz posted:

what happens when the card reader breaks, or the battery dies, or can’t connect because it’s in a coverage blackspot

as someone who works in deliveries for a (non-Tesco) supermarket I’m really not comfortable with putting drivers in that sort of situation where they’re likely to get, at minimum, yelled at

Idk the technicalities but if they can make a card reader work on a plane over the gobi desert I'm sure they could find a way. I'm sure some of them have offline functionality and process the payment once they reconnect. I know that comes with its own issues, but it's a start.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Idk the technicalities but if they can make a card reader work on a plane over the gobi desert I'm sure they could find a way. I'm sure some of them have offline functionality and process the payment once they reconnect. I know that comes with its own issues, but it's a start.

offline functionality doesn’t work when the battery is dead to begin with

planes have better communication links than a Tesco delivery van I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

take a spare?