Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

aj is a brittle white man with mommy issues lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Momcelled

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
David Berger was on fire yesterday. Big thread.
https://twitter.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1748917066587852851

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
man, this biden guy just keeps kicking goals

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
That article David Berger links to is really good but it has a fatal flaw in that it doesn't seem to recognize that you don't actually have to go to restaurants.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse for sending out to people, considering "no restaurants" seems to be a bridge too far for people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Restaurants have restorative healing power. It’s literally in the name.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Why Am I So Tired posted:

you don't actually have to go to restaurants.
mods?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Why Am I So Tired posted:

That article David Berger links to is really good but it has a fatal flaw in that it doesn't seem to recognize that you don't actually have to go to restaurants.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse for sending out to people, considering "no restaurants" seems to be a bridge too far for people.

It's the exact same article I posted yesterday where the infectious diseases prof decided to attend an awards night unmasked and caught covid, lol

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it sounded and reads more like him going "chill dude" than him being misogynistic.

Yeah, I'm whatever about it, I just think his reaction was very weird and overboard and did not look good. A simple apology would have been fine, instead there was that weird story about his mom and then blocking thousands of people.

Also just as a context for the LCAP group hosting the space he was in, this thread kinda goes into the sort of people involved with it. I've pretty much stopped interacting with any long Covid stuff on any social media platform because the whole space has gotten really weird. I wanted to help out people new to the whole chronic illness thing but I quite literally don't have the energy for this kind of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/mildTin/status/1749203176115626129?t=hx9WqODHz7IuOlJgLvPCIQ&s=19

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
every online community will eventually succumb to scene drama

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the exact same article I posted yesterday where the infectious diseases prof decided to attend an awards night unmasked and caught covid, lol

lol yeah, I like how he makes fun of him in the thread.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hey, we're just getting over a peak so it's not time for a new SAD thread until the next new variant or surge starts spinning up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/fitterhappieraj/status/1749125601724629358?s=46

https://x.com/fitterhappieraj/status/1749127709660242232?s=46

what a roller coaster weekend

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat, another woke mind virus infection.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hellequin posted:

Yeah, I'm whatever about it, I just think his reaction was very weird and overboard and did not look good. A simple apology would have been fine, instead there was that weird story about his mom and then blocking thousands of people.

Also just as a context for the LCAP group hosting the space he was in, this thread kinda goes into the sort of people involved with it. I've pretty much stopped interacting with any long Covid stuff on any social media platform because the whole space has gotten really weird. I wanted to help out people new to the whole chronic illness thing but I quite literally don't have the energy for this kind of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/mildTin/status/1749203176115626129?t=hx9WqODHz7IuOlJgLvPCIQ&s=19

aj has always been turbo weird but his posting energy has never been higher

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The science says that it will take no more than one (1) day.

Thank you, Gavin. 🥰

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
huh, Canada made a new standard for earloop respirators, Z94

https://x.com/criticalaerosol/status/1749227507327631740?s=46

https://x.com/criticalaerosol/status/1749227515212861898?s=46

fit continues to be the biggest factor, tightening the ear loops helps a lot

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Jan 22, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From Krammer’s lab:

The post-COVID-19 population has a high prevalence of cross-reactive antibodies to spikes from all Orthocoronavirinae genera

quote:

Here, we report that infection with and vaccination against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) induces broadly cross-reactive binding antibodies to spikes from a wide range of coronaviruses including members of the sarbecovirus subgenus, other betacoronaviruses including Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome coronavirus, and extending to alpha-, gamma-, and delta-coronavirus spikes. These data show that the coronavirus spike antibody landscape in humans has profoundly been changed and broadened as a result of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. While we do not understand the functionality of these cross-reactive antibodies and their impact, there is the possibility that they may lead to enhanced resistance of the population to infection with newly emerging coronaviruses with pandemic potential.

This is a level of hopium intoxication that calls for an administration of Harcan.

Now check this out:

quote:

Fig 3 Percentage of individuals with reactivity above the LoD to different spike proteins for each group shown in Fig. 1. (A) Percentage of pre-pandemic serum samples reactive to different spike proteins (n = 15). (B) Percentage of samples from SARS-CoV-2 convalescent individuals reactive to different spike proteins (n = 15). (C) Percentage of individuals vaccinated 2x with COVID-19 mRNA vaccines reactive to different spikes (n=20) and (D) the same for individuals who got three doses of vaccine (n = 19). (E and F) Percentage of individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 and then vaccinated twice (n = 20 except for SX2013 where n = 19) or three times (n = 9) who had reactivity to different spike proteins. Subject characteristics can be found in Table S3.

quote:

DISCUSSION

Several of our observations from these experiments are interesting. Even in pre-COVID-19 sera, the prevalence and titers against the spike of β-CoV BCoV are almost as high as against the spike of seasonal β-CoV OC43. This indicates an antigenic relatedness of the BCoV and OC43 spikes. It has been hypothesized that OC43 shares a common ancestor with BCoV and may have split off around 1890 (9). This split would coincide with the “Russian flu” pandemic of 1889/1890, and it has been hypothesized that this pandemic was, indeed, caused by an OC43 ancestor that jumped from cattle into humans (10). The cross-reactivity found may perhaps further support this hypothesis and also explain why zoonotic infections in humans with BCoV are rare even though the virus can infect children (11). In addition, the titers as well as the percentage of positive individuals for the seasonal α-CoV 229E are much higher than for the seasonal α-CoV NL63. These differences may point perhaps to an inherent difference in immunogenicity and antibody durability or represent an artifact of the protein used in the ELISA.

I don’t like the 1889 flu = OC43 hypothesis much at all, and I don’t see how this supports it. We know that the two viruses are antigenically similar. So what? Without data contemporary to 1889, we can’t say anything more. I mean, look at this very result, with SARS‑CoV‑2 infection spawning antibodies that bind to everything under the Sun. It doesn’t follow that any of these other viruses begat the COVID‑19 pandemic, and certainly not at a specific date.

quote:

It is important to note that after mRNA vaccination with the original vaccine containing the ancestral SARS-CoV-2 spike, titers against diverse sarbecovirus spikes are as high as against the Omicron spike. This may suggest, that the protection from severe disease that we observe against Omicron sublineages perhaps also applies to other, diverse sarbecoviruses (e.g., SARS-CoV-1, HKU3-8, SX2013, BM48-31) which may (re)-emerge in the future as human pathogens. While these cross-reactive antibodies may not neutralize more distantly related viruses, they may still afford protection via Fc-mediated effector functions.

O.K., but, like, the degree of protection granted by the OG vaccines vs. Omicron, multiplied by the intrinsic severity of SARS or MERS, still leaves a real bad number. Just sayin’.

quote:

Nevertheless, at this point in time, it remains unclear if these cross-reactive binding antibodies do in fact provide a clinical benefit. Of note, vaccine-enhanced disease has been observed in some animal models for SARS-CoV-1 and Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS CoV) (while in other models protection was found).

That too!

There’s one final bit tacked on here that I think is the most interesting of all, though it it is tangential to the study’s original research.

quote:

Another interesting aspect is the question of which epitopes these cross-reactive antibodies target. Cross-reactivity within the sarbecoviruses likely targets the receptor binding domain (RBD) but also different epitopes on the S2 subunit. Cross-reactivity to other β-CoV spikes is likely mediated mostly by S2 targeting antibodies since the RBD is probably too divergent. Such antibodies have been isolated with some of them having neutralizing activity although at lower potency (often μg/mL range) than RBD targeting mAbs which can, in some cases, reach the ng/mL range (12, 15–18). Finally, cross-reactivity to α-CoV, δ-CoVs, and γ-CoVs is likely due to more rare antibodies that target the fusion peptide in the S2 domain. These antibodies have also been isolated and they exert neutralizing activity to some extent (19, 20). However, it would be helpful to isolate more mAbs with different reactivity profiles to understand their characteristics better and determine if they indeed can contribute to protection in vivo. Of note, monoclonal antibody therapeutics and prophylactics have been very efficient treatment options for COVID-19, but antigenic changes of SARS-CoV-2 have rendered them irrelevant. Perhaps antibodies that target more conserved epitopes, even if they have lower neutralizing potency, could be a more sustainable solution.

I actually think that they’re on to something there. This was repeatedly observed with Sotrovimab in animal models more than a year ago.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: I guess they forgot to mention the new cardiovascular disease making the rounds.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/22/early-deaths-from-heart-disease-soar-to-ten-year-high-in-wa/ posted:

Early deaths from heart disease soar to ten-year high in wake of Covid
This was the highest level since 2011, when 83 per 100,000 people died prematurely
(..)
Experts said that since 2020 it is the “first time there has been a clear reversal in the trend for almost 60 years” following a “significant slowdown” in improvements between 2012 and 2019.

More than 39,000 people under 75 died from cardiovascular disease in 2022, which includes heart attacks, strokes, and coronary heart disease. It equates to 107 people dying each day, or almost five people per hour.

Highest number since 2008
It was the highest number of premature deaths from heart disease since 2008 when almost 40,000 people died, and has risen every year since a low of 33,700 in 2014. When adjusted to account for the changing population size and age, the 73 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019 was the lowest rate.
(..)
While the rate of deaths fell by 11 per cent between 2012 and 2019, this was down on the 33 per cent it reduced by in the seven years prior.

Risen 13 per cent since pandemic
It has risen almost 13 per cent since the pandemic, undoing a decade of progress.
(..)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
those lockdowns prevented so much exercise and healthy restaurant food

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
People who are smart at science reading, what do we make of this study that says wearing eyeglasses is associated with a 15% lower chance of infection?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971223007592

15% seems crazy high to me! I think we were all thinking they offered *some* protection, but I would have never guessed it'd be that much.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

BusError posted:

People who are smart at science reading, what do we make of this study that says wearing eyeglasses is associated with a 15% lower chance of infection?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971223007592

15% seems crazy high to me! I think we were all thinking they offered *some* protection, but I would have never guessed it'd be that much.

It has been speculated that beyond the droplet reduction, glasses steaming up can get people to make a better seal (keep in mind that the data was gathered in 2020-2021). The lack of protective effect from contacts would seem to shore up that interpretation.

It is worth noting that similar studies for healthcare workers (per the study you linked), have had more ambiguous results. Considering the above, this would be unsurprising as they should generally wear better masks, less prone to fogging and be fit tested to boot.

Note also that fogging made quite a few people in the sample not wear a mask, which tells you something about the general mask (surgical), but could also indicate that a deeper study would find a higher proportion of higher quality masks in the glass wearing cohort.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I've been saying this

https://twitter.com/xabitron1/status/1749163052941934751

Covidyceps is real

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Yup. 'The Last of Us' will end up being us in this thread. I can cook (+3), swing a bat (+5), build (+2) and have compassion (-6).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Friend suddenly comes down with a "bad cold." They remark on coughing so hard they have trouble breathing. I get suspicious and suggest it's COVID. The next day they mention being unable to put on a jacket without getting exhausted. Now certain, I ask them to test for COVID. They try one of the tests in their home. It's expired. There is no C line. They are skeptical because they still have smell and taste. I explain that that is not a guaranteed symptom of COVID anymore, mention paxlovid's five day efficacy limit, and encourage them to test ASAP to rule it out. They wake up this morning and message me to inform me they have no smell or taste.

Many such cases!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe the changes are good

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Maybe the changes are good

I feel like there's a growing percentage of my work colleagues who are incapable of sending an email without typos or strange sentence fragments these days. Lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lots of people have mental illnesses this could fix them

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
"I need a CAD viewer on my lap top......ASAP. Work on a project and to not have one."
- VP

:dafuq:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

"I need a CAD viewer on my lap top......ASAP. Work on a project and to not have one."
- VP

listening to trueanon read out emails by the rich and powerful, i think. lot of people not v good at type mail.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So one of Trump's trials is delayed by a day because a juror is sick and wants to get a COVID test. There's no alternate jurors though so if they are sick going to be a long delay...

Also, supposedly his lawyer Alina Habba might have it. Although it's much more likely she's just lying to delay the trial past the NH primary tomorrow.

quote:

Kaplan also confirmed that Alina Habba and Michael Madaio tested negative for Covid-19 in court this morning. They took Covid tests because Habba said she had dinner with her parents three days ago and now they have Covid. Habba said she had a fever and isn't feeling well, though she has not tested positive.

Habba did not appear to be wearing a mask. Trump was sitting next to her in the courtroom.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Thread bets on if covids unsaturated enough for a feb 1st dental appt or postpone (to when?)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

So one of Trump's trials is delayed by a day because a juror is sick and wants to get a COVID test. There's no alternate jurors though so if they are sick going to be a long delay...

Also, supposedly his lawyer Alina Habba might have it. Although it's much more likely she's just lying to delay the trial past the NH primary tomorrow.

wow, what a coincidence, this guy's trials always seem to be delayed for some reason

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Cool that low paid workers are having to pay out of pocket for multiple tests and a doctor's note to prove they have COVID so they don't get fired. gently caress Sedgwick and all third party administrators.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

- VP

Received the following email from the operations VP of a very large processor. Some names swapped but formatting and intention is preserved:

quote:

You Bet Bedpan ………. Alice Is Gone For The Day Here ,
But First Thing In AM Here Charlotte EST Time We Will Up Date
The Specs Taking NTM off & Replacing It With LWB’s ………..
For You & The Teams At LWB

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

- VP

This is like 90% of the communications I receive from clients. Maybe a little worse now, but wealthy people in positions of power and authority did not really have functioning brains before COVID, either.

When I first started doing consulting work I was so freaked out about sounding professional all the time and meanwhile people who make more money than I'll ever see just send me emails written in something between stream of consciousness and toddler speak.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

This is like 90% of the communications I receive from clients. Maybe a little worse now, but wealthy people in positions of power and authority did not really have functioning brains before COVID, either.

When I first started doing consulting work I was so freaked out about sounding professional all the time and meanwhile people who make more money than I'll ever see just send me emails written in something between stream of consciousness and toddler speak.

I get a lot of emails from people who use "..." instead of periods and commas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
One of my coworkers took his family to Disneyland last week and you'll never guess what happened.

However he's also an example of someone that wants to do the right thing and if public health existed he would have had no issue wearing a mask on the airplane and in common areas of his hotel and so on. And when he had symptoms he took a test and is going to work from home because he doesn't want to infect anybody. It's all extremely stupid because most people are like him and want to do the right thing but have been trained wrong, as a joke.