Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think it was a month ago that the la times stopped their kindle feed. my ELDERLY FATHER read the times on his kindle every day. pretty much the entire thing. da fuq is that old bastard supposed to do now? hes retired. ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Smythe posted:

i think it was a month ago that the la times stopped their kindle feed. my ELDERLY FATHER read the times on his kindle every day. pretty much the entire thing. da fuq is that old bastard supposed to do now? hes retired. ffs

buy him an account and introduce him to cspam

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

ok so now the la times fired all its writers. i subscribe to, and read, the la times. as does my dad. what are we supposed to read now for news, news about the los angeles metropolitan area, a very big, wealthy city. its dawning on me now just how hosed up this is lol. insanely awful.

they fired 20% of their writers, so I am guessing the paper will continue to exist in a slightly shittier state (I already hate their editorial slant)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the government is trying to get the chinese off AWS

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/exclusive-us-propose-know-customer-185216979.html

quote:

Exclusive-US to propose 'know your customer' requirements for cloud computing companies

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The Biden administration will soon propose requirements for cloud companies aimed at finding out who is accessing U.S. clouds to train AI models, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo

Get info without
leaving the page.

said on Friday, as the burgeoning AI sector raises increasing security concerns.

“We can't have non-state actors or China or folks who we don’t want accessing our cloud to train their models," Raimondo said in an interview with Reuters.

"We use export controls on chips," she noted, adding, "Those chips are in American cloud data centers so we also have to think about closing down that avenue for potential malicious activity."

The proposed "know your customer" regulation is set to be released as soon as next week. "It is a big deal," Raimondo said.

The Commerce secretary said U.S. cloud computing companies "should have the burden of knowing who their biggest customers are training the biggest models, and we're trying to get that information. What will we do with that information? It depends on what we find."

Raimondo spoke to Reuters after speaking at an event with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, telling an audience the department was "beginning the process of requiring U.S. cloud companies to tell us every time a non-U.S. entity uses their cloud to train a large language model."

President Joe Biden in October signed an executive order requiring developers of AI systems that pose risks to U.S. national security, the economy, public health or safety to share the results of safety tests with the U.S. government, using the government's authority under the Defense Production Act (DPA), before they are released to the public.

Those survey requests under the DPA are soon going to companies, Raimondo said, telling Reuters that companies will have 30 days to respond. "Any company that doesn't want to comply is a red flag for me," she said.

Top cloud providers include Amazon.com's AWS , Alphabet's Google Cloud and Microsoft's Azure unit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

ok so now the la times fired all its writers. i subscribe to, and read, the la times. as does my dad. what are we supposed to read now for news, news about the los angeles metropolitan area, a very big, wealthy city. its dawning on me now just how hosed up this is lol. insanely awful.
pretty much all the newspaper are imploding themselves

sfgate is now almost entirely ad-copy buzzfeed clickbait garbage of questionable llm participation

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PoundSand posted:

If there's one thing I remember from the start of the pandemic it was people following government instruction in lock step

I mean, I live in a northern state & it was one of those states with incomprehensible rules & regs but there were tons of other blue states doing the same poo poo I'm talking about, ie california kept beaches & parks closed thru 2020.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

pretty much all the newspaper are imploding themselves

sfgate is now almost entirely ad-copy buzzfeed clickbait garbage of questionable llm participation

the Bay Area news media scene is so loving dire

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Vox Nihili posted:

the Bay Area is so loving dire

My wife works for Kaiser as a researcher, she and her coworkers are flat out not allowed to leave their building during work hours because a bunch of Kaiser workers have been getting robbed

Her brother is an EMT, the other day he responded to a call about a deputy getting shot while serving an eviction

Someone bipped my friends car and they stole... Nothing. I'm starting to think it's a Safelite guerilla marketing campaign

Rents going up next month!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jan 26, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

The sharps container at the gym is overflowing with wegovy injectors

it's a once-a-week injection; why are people waiting to get to the gym to shoot up? :confused:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

libs just letting every union shop in the country be laid off while they're promoting "the most pro-labor president in history" for reelection.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the irony with google being leave it five years and they would have shut it down anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when pivot to video also destroyed all media

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my gym markets itself as a "hardcore bodybuilding gym" and even they don't have sharps containers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the milk machine posted:

my gym markets itself as a "hardcore bodybuilding gym" and even they don't have sharps containers

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

The sharps container at the gym is overflowing with wegovy injectors

drat, you work out at the Equinox in Palo Alto?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, I live in a northern state & it was one of those states with incomprehensible rules & regs but there were tons of other blue states doing the same poo poo I'm talking about, ie california kept beaches & parks closed thru 2020.

I get it, closing public infrastructure in response to the pandemic was a lovely excuse for cuts under neoliberal rot but I'm just laughing a bit about your overall interpretation. The reality is the gov didn't do enough so focusing on the stuff they did "too much" is just fueling the bad narrative where we all get to lose years off our life for number. The important stuff wasn't implemented, enforced, or followed, so the phrasing about 1984 authoritarianism is kind of eh.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is the second time Patrick S-Shiong has personally hosed me over.

His wife made a big show of being Catholic when they were at my dead gay hospital making promises they were gonna renege on. Hey lady, you know what that book says about billionaires?

I wish them a happy healthy controlled flight into terrain while in their helicopters or one of their gulfstreams. Yes, they have two gulfstreams.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

My wife works for Kaiser as a researcher, she and her coworkers are flat out not allowed to leave their building during work hours because a bunch of Kaiser workers have been getting robbed

Her brother is an EMT, the other day he responded to a call about a deputy getting shot while serving an eviction

Someone bipped my friends car and they stole... Nothing. I'm starting to think it's a Safelite guerilla marketing campaign

Rents going up next month!

Seems bad

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kreeningsons posted:

lol gently caress stanley so much. the materials and process already exist for using lead free solder in double walled vacuum insulated drink containers. they are currently being sold by at least one company. the reason stanley isn’t doing this is not because of the slow pace of innovation, it’s because they need to keep their prices low enough to hit the sweet spot of faux luxury middle class status symbol.

i used to thrift these bottles for a couple bucks but I threw them all away when I found out they had lead in them. i don’t give a poo poo if it’s “protected” by paint or a false bottom — I don’t want that poo poo any closer to my drinkware than it needs to be.

Yeah, there are several companies, in addition to the one you linked, that phased out lead solder for the exterior, bottom sealing point. It's just the companies who want to make these as cheap as possible, that continue to use it. Even the ones that Costco sell, like Takeya (?), are still using lead at the bottom and covering it up.

At least some brands use a good enamel or FBE to cover it; the ones that simply throw a rubber boot on it, are the lowliest of lows.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PoundSand posted:

I get it, closing public infrastructure in response to the pandemic was a lovely excuse for cuts under neoliberal rot but I'm just laughing a bit about your overall interpretation. The reality is the gov didn't do enough so focusing on the stuff they did "too much" is just fueling the bad narrative where we all get to lose years off our life for number. The important stuff wasn't implemented, enforced, or followed, so the phrasing about 1984 authoritarianism is kind of eh.

gently caress narratives; I'm talking reality.

the "narratives" are what allowed blue-state governors to allow the nursing-home industry to write executive orders & send elders to their deaths with absolutely no public pushback at the time.

"cuomosexual" was one of those narratives. The narratives needed to die, not the olds.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

the "narratives" are what allowed blue-state governors to allow the nursing-home industry to write executive orders & send elders to their deaths with absolutely no public pushback at the time.

"cuomosexual" was one of those narratives. The narratives needed to die, not the olds.

The narrative matters, and the narrative now is that the government did too much to fight the common cold, and during the next pandemic everyone will be on their own.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Smythe posted:

Smythe posted:

Journalists may be generally fail as poo poo but that doesn't mean the collapse of journalism doesn't suck. Esp. for the olds. My mum buys da friggin newspaper for gods sake and stays fairly well informed on local stuff, but once that goes out of business (any day now) her only sources will be a) Facebook and b) me correcting the stuff she sees on Facebook

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DaysBefore posted:

Journalists may be generally fail as poo poo but that doesn't mean the collapse of journalism doesn't suck. Esp. for the olds. My mum buys da friggin newspaper for gods sake and stays fairly well informed on local stuff, but once that goes out of business (any day now) her only sources will be a) Facebook and b) me correcting the stuff she sees on Facebook

:D

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The narrative matters, and the narrative now is that the government did too much to fight the common cold, and during the next pandemic everyone will be on their own.

Hmm let me just thumb through these books on the Spanish Flu and the bubonic plague in burgher dominated northern Italy and Flanders…

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

yes!!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the first papers were basically printed versions of NextDoor so if anything it’s reverting back to type

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PoundSand posted:

Remember when rightwing media invented some big government conspiracy narrative and a bunch of idiots paraded around in trucks doing literal terrorism to vaguely "protest" the nonexistent lockdowns?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Time to teach smythe sr to sign up for substacks!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

I am talking reality. We didn't do enough and now we're encouraging doing less. My wife was diagnosed with cancer in early 2021, it was terrifying, even nurses stopped masking around to the tail end of her chemo. The idea that big gov was strongarming people too hard is so incredibly ignorant it's legit frustrating. Literally the least you could do is not keep repeating dumb conservative talking points.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
all the revolutionary leftists were out in force protesting the government keeping them out of parks and applebees while the rest of us libs just wore masks and tried not to get sick like lib rubes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

net work error posted:

Time to teach smythe sr to sign up for substacks!

he reads the newspaper website on a hosed up android tablet which he likes. but the tablet news reading experience is one billion times shittier than the kindle one. on the kindle it was just the newspaper. no multimedia poo poo. it was actually really good. the kindle newspaper was ideal for reading the newspaper. GODLY format for the paper. DAILY DELIVERY of TEXT. IDEAL for KINDLE. gone now. i did college newspaper for like 3 years, went down the printer and loaded big stacks of broadsheets hot off the press into a truck to jack off to my bylines - and even I admit the kindle was IDEAL for newspaper.

IN FACT the stupid newspapers should have distributed those fuckers for free to subscribers with their subscription already loaded on it. some knockoff kindle that only had the paper on it. that would have owned. an alternate timeline where the newspaper survived but it was all kindle... beautiful. maybe you pay a deposit and get it back if when you return it when you move. like people who rent cable modems.

i always found folding broadsheets annoying and i was really good at it too, old guy style.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PoundSand posted:

I am talking reality. We didn't do enough and now we're encouraging doing less. My wife was diagnosed with cancer in early 2021, it was terrifying, even nurses stopped masking around to the tail end of her chemo. The idea that big gov was strongarming people too hard is so incredibly ignorant it's legit frustrating. Literally the least you could do is not keep repeating dumb conservative talking points.
lol i went to the hospital (kaiser) for the first time in a few years last week and it was incredible that it's just full of like varying oldes and almost no one, not reception or the patients, were not wearing any masks. even i don't wear any most of the time these days but i still did before stepping foot into the building

like man even if you believe covid is over, hospitals are hotspots for everyone being sick with who knows what. what the

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Xaris posted:

lol i went to the hospital (kaiser) for the first time in a few years last week and it was incredible that it's just full of like varying oldes and almost no one, not reception or the patients, were not wearing any masks. even i don't wear any most of the time these days but i still did before stepping foot into the building

like man even if you believe covid is over, hospitals are hotspots for everyone being sick with who knows what. what the

We had nurses tell us we didn't need to wear masks anymore during treatment lol. Like my wife, who is currently being injected with stuff that ravages her immune system in some mutually destructive combat with the remnants of cancer from a major surgery, would be happy that no one needed to mask in the chemo center. We of course opted out of taking them off and were fortunate enough to dodge it, but it just speaks to how impressively dumb the idea we had "too many" restrictions is. It's so incredibly dumb and frankly reprehensible in the context of our immunocompromised population to keep insisting we had too many restrictions. It's something I've grown accustomed to hearing from people in my deeply red county but it's weird to see it here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

he reads the newspaper website on a hosed up android tablet which he likes. but the tablet news reading experience is one billion times shittier than the kindle one. on the kindle it was just the newspaper. no multimedia poo poo. it was actually really good. the kindle newspaper was ideal for reading the newspaper. GODLY format for the paper. DAILY DELIVERY of TEXT. IDEAL for KINDLE. gone now. i did college newspaper for like 3 years, went down the printer and loaded big stacks of broadsheets hot off the press into a truck to jack off to my bylines - and even I admit the kindle was IDEAL for newspaper.

IN FACT the stupid newspapers should have distributed those fuckers for free to subscribers with their subscription already loaded on it. some knockoff kindle that only had the paper on it. that would have owned. an alternate timeline where the newspaper survived but it was all kindle... beautiful. maybe you pay a deposit and get it back if when you return it when you move. like people who rent cable modems.

i always found folding broadsheets annoying and i was really good at it too, old guy style.

Does he use the app or a browser? If he doesn't use the app maybe show him how to use that (content specific apps generally suck but I think they're probably fine for children and the elderly)

Or just get the actual paper delivered to him???

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

and the reason for that narrative is the same as the others: political expediency.

that political expediency is what killed the olds in democrat states, and to cling to it now is madness. In order to prepare for the next time it happens we have to look at what happened in the past, even if it challenges narratives that were/are developed for political expediency or takes people out of their comfortable chud/lib framing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PoundSand posted:

I am truly sorry for what your wife went through; I had a friend who was undergoing treatment then too, although she said everyone was masked in the dedicated cancer unit where she was treateed.

But big gov was executing executive overreach in 2020, and it killed people rather than helping them at that time. It's not a "dumb conservative talking point" to point out that the PMC class willingly hired whipping boys as a servant class or that democrat governors allowed for-profit nursing homes to run the table.

As I said, it's super-important there's clarity about what happened beyond the narratives crafted for political expediency.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My friend's elderly mom had a brain bleed recently and went to the emergency room and instead of getting her a bed or a transfer, they kept her on a gurney in a hallway for a couple days and then put her in a small, windowless, doorless closet with no shower or restroom. Literally just a gurney in a 4'x8' three walled alcove. Their solution for needing a restroom was putting a piss pad on a folding chair in the corner and then leaving her in there for 10 days. No one would check on her if there wasn't a friend or family member actively dragging someone over to do it.

Her son is pretty deep in the autism spectrum and was having enormous difficulty advocating for her against a huge, confusing bureaucracy that lies constantly and is governed solely by implicit rules that run counter to the explicit ones, so my hardass wife (everybody's medical advocate) had to go take photographic evidence and repeatedly escalate it and threaten legal action before anyone got this 80 something year old woman who couldn't walk on her own into some location appropriate for care. Great healthcare system we have. Great country. This wasn't even in one of these rural communities totally abandoned by the medical system, either. This was in loving Lodi, California.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is it really government overreach to give up doing stuff and let private companies make the decisions? that seems fundamentally different from government overreach like padlocking public parks and making it illegal to go canoeing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

and the reason for that narrative is the same as the others: political expediency.

that political expediency is what killed the olds in democrat states, and to cling to it now is madness. In order to prepare for the next time it happens we have to look at what happened in the past, even if it challenges narratives that were/are developed for political expediency or takes people out of their comfortable chud/lib framing.

It wasn't political expediency, it was economic expediency. Forcing nursing homes to adapt proper Covid isolation protocols would have cost business owners money. Keeping restaurants and bars closed would have cost business owners money. Adopting proper air filtration measures would have cost businesses and employers money. Giving people the idea that anything was wrong would have made them stay home on Friday night, costing businesses more money. So the minute the rich found out that their money isolated them from this disease just like it isolates them from everything else, they got rid of any mitigations and created a narrative to make sure that public health would never be a societal responsibility that threatened their income ever again.

Public health, like so many other things, is now a personal consumer choice, and we all know that there are no wrong consumer choices, only different ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PoundSand posted:

We had nurses tell us we didn't need to wear masks anymore during treatment lol. Like my wife, who is currently being injected with stuff that ravages her immune system in some mutually destructive combat with the remnants of cancer from a major surgery, would be happy that no one needed to mask in the chemo center. We of course opted out of taking them off and were fortunate enough to dodge it, but it just speaks to how impressively dumb the idea we had "too many" restrictions is. It's so incredibly dumb and frankly reprehensible in the context of our immunocompromised population to keep insisting we had too many restrictions. It's something I've grown accustomed to hearing from people in my deeply red county but it's weird to see it here.

it wasn't "too many" restrictions; it was the wrong restrictions that killed people, and the partisan "narratives" that the northern states were heroes saving lives while they were closing parks & opening restaurants and allowing capital call the shots in general.