Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
luckily, the longer one has been out of the job market, the more competitive you become as an applicant. it's like fine wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

VRchat is basically an already existent and better metaverse experience than anything zucc or any tech weirdo could hope for, and it's only got like 20,000 some active users or something like that, like that's the user ceiling you're looking at if you're talking metaverse, except that VRchat lets you use Buff Sexy Kermit as an avatar and you have legs

Yeah been watching some YT vids of people talking about it and it makes me wonder WTF Meta was spending all that money on when their poo poo looks like Miis/360 Avatars bobbing around and a bunch of furries have hacked together something that looks miles more feature-rich

Makes Meta look even more pathetic than it is

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

the milk machine posted:

luckily, the longer one has been out of the job market, the more competitive you become as an applicant. it's like fine wine

You need to have 5 years of experience in ThingMaster 5000. 4000 and 6000 experience doesn't count. The competitor product Thingstar that does the thing the same way with a different UI is also not acceptable. Certification is not acceptable. All of these are enterprise only so no personal projects.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Well it doesn't help they had to have their metaverse app run on a glorified cell phone gpu, so wii graphics quality was probably aspirational more than anything

pcvr (which VRchat started out on, the quest 2 version is significantly downgraded) doesn't have any graphical restrictions really but requires insanely beefy rigs to run since you're rendering everything twice

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jan 30, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i will say that the take home exercise bullshit seems to have subsided as i haven't really run into it for a while. it's now an almost 100% auto decline if i find out it's part of the process.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

You need to have 5 years of experience in ThingMaster 5000. 4000 and 6000 experience doesn't count. The competitor product Thingstar that does the thing the same way with a different UI is also not acceptable. Certification is not acceptable. All of these are enterprise only so no personal projects.

yep. i've gotten to final interviews four times now and it's always "we hired someone else that has experience in ThingMaster instead of Thingstar"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nonsense posted:

It's a good idea that Apple has implemented poorly and Steve would have garroted whoever brought him that to wear

Steve was an imbecile who chuffed papayas to cure cancer he'd have done whatever number convinced him of

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Well it doesn't help they had to have their metaverse app run on a glorified cell phone gpu, so wii graphics quality was probably aspirational more than anything

pcvr (which VRchat started out on, the quest 2 version is significantly downgraded) doesn't have any graphical restrictions really but requires insanely beefy rigs to run since you're rendering everything twice

I guess that could explain a lot of the inherent limitations but making the thing cheap as hell to get it into as many hands as possible and own the future space by making your console a cheap POS that can't do anything remarkable or even desirable also means nobody will want to actually use it long term more than Little Johnny going online for a few hours and then getting bored

I hope all the money/manhours they invested into Meta is just a complete waste and it just goes nowhere; don't need that loving weirdo owning another entire interaction medium or opening up another new frontier to amass even more capital/power

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the milk machine posted:

yep. i've gotten to final interviews four times now and it's always "we hired someone else that has experience in ThingMaster instead of Thingstar"

i've gone through them, including vp/ceo level interviews, and they hire no one at all. lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mad Wack posted:

no different from millennial kids with a tv in their room imo
this new thing that’s very bad? well guess what fuckos, this old thing was also bad. therefore new bad thing is good and cool

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Chad Sexington posted:

I wish I had sold my PSVR while it was still worth something. It's an expensive novelty that works for a few very specific things. Like Superhot VR is amazing, amazing fun. But not much else.

The part that nobody ever talks about is how isolating it is. Wearing it and playing something feels like "going somewhere" in that you almost get tired... except it's to a sad, empty place by yourself.
It's the only way to play Astro bot, a pretty good platformer, because even Sony doesn't care enough about VR to port their 1st party PS VR1 titles to PS VR2.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Xaris posted:

this new thing that’s very bad? well guess what fuckos, this old thing was also bad. therefore new bad thing is good and cool

remember when people were concerned that holding cellphones up to their ear caused brain cancer?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pulcinella posted:

I do wonder at what point do the different parts of capital start trying to parasitize eachother. I'm sure insurance companies, hospital admins, and the AMA would hate it, but at what point does e.g.Walmart and Disney sit down with McConnel and say that if they want to extract more surplus value out of labor then healthcare costs need to fall. With the end result being we get a lovely form of universal healthcare. Same thing with housing and rent.

before that kind of cannibalism I would expect there to be general strikes.

More likely is astroturfed fake unionization campaigns on social media targeted at disrupting a particular company or industry, but the political elite collectively decide to blame on china/iran/india/etc

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Xaris posted:

yeah actually, now get out of the theater before the train comes through the screen and hits you

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

remember when people were concerned that holding cellphones up to their ear caused brain cancer?

"What nonsense," I say, as I hold my phone close to my forehead to receive the newest DLC for the chip in my brain.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

"What nonsense," I say, as I hold my phone close to my forehead to receive the newest DLC for the chip in my brain.

whoopsie bad firmware update

after a trip to the ER, Insurance.co informs you that the brain damage is not covered because you accepted the 300 page EULA. time to hit the secondary market for a jailbroken frontal lobe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

whoopsie bad firmware update

after a trip to the ER, Insurance.co informs you that the brain damage is not covered because you accepted the 300 page EULA. time to hit the secondary market for a jailbroken frontal lobe

That's ok choom I know a guy who can hook you up

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Explain to me like I'm a democrat why there are record stock market gains but everyone is doing mass layoffs.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

Explain to me like I'm a democrat why there are record stock market gains but everyone is doing mass layoffs.

You answered your own question.

Mass layoffs = record stock market gains

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Number loves layoffs. Layoffs are often sold as businesses responding to a bad market with "necessary cuts" but the actual motivation for firing people can be as simple as arbitrarily cutting labor costs to achieve more efficient profit extraction.

Businesses see people as a cost center.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

PoundSand posted:

in response to Covid my previous employer did a pay freeze for 3 years and finally capitulated and gave us all a 2% pay raise in 2023 when people started leaving. it of course made us leave faster.

My wife had just hit tenure which came with a 10% pay raise but the uni worrying about all the lost profits of not getting to force freshmen to stay in a closet for 1k a month in their dorm monopoly immediately slashed salaries across campus by 10%.

I dunno where the idea of rising wages came from but in my sample size of 2 it didn’t happen.

Working at a hospital that was already below market value, covid absolutely wrecked. Turnover was easily 50% as everyone left to good pay jobs/get out of bedside care. After the hospital was hiring these people at quadruple rate as a traveler, they finally did a significant pay raise adjustment. Mine went up I think like 20%? Though that was 2 years ago and now we're back on the well below inflation for the annual raises. Health care is quite an outlier, but I think the overall theme of panicked wage increases because of the sudden loss of labor during covid and now they want to claw it all back because the record profits have slowed down is the explanation. The rising wages is just a reference to 2-3 years ago lmao.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Layoffs at business doing well = streamlining business model, losing dead weight, more money for investors - > number goes up

Layoffs at business doing badly = decisive leadership, difficult decisions, finding necessary efficiencies -> number goes up

plus all those other companies that laid people off? their number went up, so why do things differently. it's basically a ritual at this point, divorced from material reality

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

layoffs are basically the same as stock buybacks: executive management enriching themselves and shareholders before everything goes to poo poo

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/AndrewCurran_/status/1752398976819875843?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

great news

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Justin Tyme posted:

I have said it multiple times over the years but a LOT of problems could be solved if rents weren't so loving high. It's such a huge knock on impact that braindead economists don't consider. It's a loving black hole anchor around the economy that contributes nothing.

why do you think they’re stupid or that any of these things are problems? they’re not on our side

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

ArmedZombie posted:

layoffs are basically the same as stock buybacks: executive management enriching themselves and shareholders before everything goes to poo poo

the rapacious capitalist doesn't need a reason beyond "I'm cashing out before this falls apart", and layoffs are a part of that process.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Usa is threatening to put Venezuelan sanctions back in place already lol

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jan 31, 2024

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
if we go so rapidly from one bubble to the next that popping doesn’t cause panic, was there ever really a bubble at all?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
surely these economists who have spent their careers rationalizing the expropriation of value to the ruling class and who would be disowned by their employers and social circles for the slightest deviation would realize that rent seeking is bad

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Uss is threatening to put Venezuelan sanctions back in place already lol

It's good to be the hegemon. You don't need to have any consistency whatsoever and can make and renege on deals within 6 months.

I'm sure they'll want to open back up if the Red Sea thing gets worse or they finally get a war with Iran.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Can't afford to pay grindr $500/month? Have your friends pitch you with a powerpoint deck!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Steve was an imbecile who chuffed papayas to cure cancer he'd have done whatever number convinced him of

he stole a bunch of organs and then ruined them with fruit juice

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Can't afford to pay grindr $500/month? Have your friends pitch you with a powerpoint deck!

This seems less toxic and lovely than the apps

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

this is called a roast and it's probably a good time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

skooma512 posted:

This seems less toxic and lovely than the apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

This unironically would be cool as poo poo to go to even just to spectate. Watching people getting on stage hyping up their friends is a lot more wholesome than a ton of other lovely things you could be watching.